RE: [peditors] Adventures in TeXas

  • Markley Jr, John
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
      You are most welcome. I hope you have good fortune (and some fun) working out how to proceed-
      regards,
      ~ John
      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
        On Tue, April 9, 2013 8:59 am, Dwight C. Carr wrote:

        > anymore anyway.  Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates,
        > etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their
        > device.

        both for currency and weather, Palm is still right up there

        check Currency from currex.sf.net, really nifty Palm app that fetches
        (when/if desired) updates for you;

        check Weather from Deluxware.com that fetches (when/if desired) updates
        for you from multiple wherevers

        (unlike most Android apps that wish to update/pull data every 20 ms
        regardless)

        I wish there was Weather from Deluxware for Palm, didn't find anything as
        good (from my POV)

        Currency Calc is freeware, Weather was paid for

        IMHO, both still right up there;
        still enjoy using both

        On Tue, April 9, 2013 8:50 am, Dwight C. Carr wrote:
        > Thank you for the response to this post and for the very helpful posts
        > reference pTools scripts in the past.

        yes, still use them occasionally, thanks again
      • voytekeymont
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
          >> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last

          Apt seems pretty neat, I'll try installing it on TX maybe T3
          (wow, never came across it before, where was I?)

          >> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote something
          >> that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You might want to
          >> take a look. Not open source, but really cheap shareware. It's
          >> available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

          it that from same guy ?
          just bought the other day 'just in case it's useful', haven't unpacked it
          yet, though....

          >> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
          >> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like dabbling
          >> in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play in. See
          >> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

          installed it the other day, together with REXX (or maybe it's called BREXX?)

          but, on the phone, character/text mode stuff get too small for my eyes,
          put it on tablet, but, ended zapping tablet during A4.1 to A4.2 woes...
          so, need to re-install and try look see. maybe..

          thanks for the 'Apt' reference !
        • voytekeymont
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
            On Tue, April 9, 2013 5:03 am, dmccunney wrote:

            > Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
            > to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware utility
            > from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic heap available.
            > The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
            > Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.

            I'm fairly certain my Chris Spring refurbed TX came with NetFront
            pre-loaded, with whatever was pre-reqs preloaded...

            (checking...) have NF 3.1 rev 2.022

            used to use it occasionally, not anymore

            > I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
            > other things.

            yep, ssh

            >> them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would
            >> like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry
            >> two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry
            >> two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one
            >> more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device
            >> until at least calendar year 2031.

            yep, bt tethered Palm, what a combo, used it for few years, mainly email
            (Snapper), ssh and, if really needed, web

            though, I have a wget script that gets me via email what browser is needed
            for, fetches the page I need

            Ostiary triggers the wget script, Snapper receives into a subfolder

            I did get from Chris 2 or maybe 3 devices, 'just in case'

            I have Android phone/tablet now, so, most of web/net gets done on Android,
            BUT, Palm goes everywhere

            BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to aCar,
            so might move car records to A soon.
          • voytekeymont
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
              On Mon, April 8, 2013 3:23 pm, Dwight C. Carr wrote:

              > Contacts:
              > - Ability to put text in phone number fields:  e.g.  DSN:  768-4243 is a
              > must have - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice

              haven't been able to,
              on the Palm, I have trailing alpha chars after phone number, Android
              stripped them, and, I don't think I was able to enter them, real PITA

              and, it drops leading spaces in names in address book, another PITA
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, jhnmarkley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Thanks for chiming in, John.
                >>
                >> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                >> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
                >> something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
                >> might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
                >> shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                >>
                >> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                >> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
                >> dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
                >> in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                >
                > Thanks Dennis-
                > I've been using Tasker for quite a while, have 14 different profiles running now.

                Heh. This does not come as a surprise.

                > I have the scripting layer (SL4A) but have never pursued Python as I have no comp science/programming background other than learning pScripting from Paul's manual, and I bogged down. Maybe this will reactivate me (maybe not).

                I haven't looked in detail, but my impression is that it's akin to
                Windows Scripting Host: an interface layer that gives script languages
                access to to the OS through an API. Python isn't the only script
                language available.

                As for learning, I've seen Python suggested as a good introductory
                language. It's relatively lightweight, object oriented, has the
                standard language constructs expected of a current language, and is
                cross-platform. (The desktop parser that creates Plucker documents
                from HTML files is written in Python, and available for Windows, Mac
                OS/X, and Linux. Alas, the Linux version won't install on Ubuntu - it
                hasn't been maintained in too long, and Ubuntu expects to see stuff it
                doesn't have.)

                While Python is an interpreted language, it's a hybrid: Python code
                compiles to a tokenized binary form which is actually executed by the
                Python runtime. I've seen an assortment of full applications written
                in Python, because current hardware is fast enough to run it with
                acceptable performance.

                There was a partial version of Python for PalmOS called Pippy, as well
                as several flavors of BASIC, Java, Lisp, Logo, Rexx, Smalltalk, Tcl,
                and an implementation of C (Onboard C) that compiled code *on* the
                PDA. (Peter Thorstenson's lovely tejpWriter viewer/editor is written
                in OnBoard C) There's even more than one implementation of Brainfuck
                for PalmOS. (BF is one of a class of "write only" languages, whose
                code is *intended* to be hard to understand, and the name is a
                description of what it does to the developer writing in it. BF
                originated on the Amiga, and the first BF compiled was all of 240
                bytes in size. The developer later optimized that down to 200. :-)
                )

                I was sorry when HP swallowed Palm, and then went through management
                changes. Palm's WebOS looked *very* interesting, and like Android,
                could be used in things that weren't phones. Former HP CEO Mark Hurd
                announced plans to put WebOS on everything HP produced, which would
                have been truly disruptive, but his successors couldn't back away fast
                enough. Android's programming model is "Write it in Java." WebOS's
                is "Write it in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript".

                https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                  On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                  > On Tue, April 9, 2013 5:03 am, dmccunney wrote:
                  >
                  >> Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
                  >> to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware utility
                  >> from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic heap available.
                  >> The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
                  >> Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.
                  >
                  > I'm fairly certain my Chris Spring refurbed TX came with NetFront
                  > pre-loaded, with whatever was pre-reqs preloaded...
                  >
                  > (checking...) have NF 3.1 rev 2.022

                  Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.

                  I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                  was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at
                  an assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave
                  bundled, Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront. Netfront was
                  the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.

                  > used to use it occasionally, not anymore

                  What do you use now?

                  >> I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
                  >> other things.
                  >
                  > yep, ssh

                  There were several ssh clients. Pssh was the one I got to actually
                  work. I sshed into servers at my then employer, mostly to see if I
                  could, but I wouldn't have wanted to do anything substantial that way.

                  >>> them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would
                  >>> like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry
                  >>> two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry
                  >>> two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one
                  >>> more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device
                  >>> until at least calendar year 2031.
                  >
                  > yep, bt tethered Palm, what a combo, used it for few years, mainly email
                  > (Snapper), ssh and, if really needed, web
                  >
                  > though, I have a wget script that gets me via email what browser is needed
                  > for, fetches the page I need
                  >
                  > Ostiary triggers the wget script, Snapper receives into a subfolder

                  I have Snapper here, but never really wanted to do email on the Palm.
                  I use GMail as my main account, prefer the web interface, and the mail
                  can bloody well wait till I'm at a proper machine to read and reply
                  from.

                  > I did get from Chris 2 or maybe 3 devices, 'just in case'
                  >
                  > I have Android phone/tablet now, so, most of web/net gets done on Android,
                  > BUT, Palm goes everywhere

                  > BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to aCar,
                  > so might move car records to A soon.

                  The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the data.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                    On Tue, April 9, 2013 11:45 am, dmccunney wrote:
                    > On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                    > Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.
                    >

                    > I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                    > was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at an
                    > assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave bundled,
                    > Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront.

                    > Netfront was
                    > the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.

                    yes, and, yes

                    (I (think?) I've tried a the java based stuff, but, didn't inhale)

                    >> used to use it occasionally, not anymore
                    >
                    > What do you use now?

                    Android phone/tablet.... Atrix/Xoom for net related stuff

                    Palm for most other stuff

                    >> BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to
                    >> aCar, so might move car records to A soon.
                    >
                    > The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the
                    > data. ______

                    this was child's play, pFuel outputs text, acar inputs text.

                    one of my pre-req for any app I use: does it input/output text ?

                    if I can help you with any NetFront files, just yell
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                      >>> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                      >
                      > Apt seems pretty neat, I'll try installing it on TX maybe T3
                      > (wow, never came across it before, where was I?)

                      That was my reaction when I saw it and started reading. "Holy
                      <bleep!> How is it that I didn't know about this long ago?" (I
                      considered myself a more than usually knowledgeable Palm user who
                      actively *looked* for stuff like that, so $DIETY knows how I missed
                      it.)

                      >>> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote something
                      >>> that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You might want to
                      >>> take a look. Not open source, but really cheap shareware. It's
                      >>> available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                      >
                      > it that from same guy ?

                      Yep. Same guy.

                      > just bought the other day 'just in case it's useful', haven't unpacked it
                      > yet, though....

                      I suspect you'll find it of interest. John can probably fill you in.

                      >>> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                      >>> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like dabbling
                      >>> in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play in. See
                      >>> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                      >
                      > installed it the other day, together with REXX (or maybe it's called BREXX?)

                      Possibly, BREXX. There are several flavors of Rexx out there, all
                      based on Mike Colishaw's original design. IBM has OORexx, which they
                      made open source years back. Mark Hessling maintains Regina Rexx.
                      Vasilis Vlachoudis at CERN is responsible for BREXX, which I recall
                      getting ported to some odd things.

                      The REXX Language Association home page has an announcement of an
                      Android port of REXX from Jaxo, who did a PalmOS version back when, so
                      that might be it too..

                      > thanks for the 'Apt' reference !

                      You're quite welcome.
                      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                        On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                        > On Tue, April 9, 2013 11:45 am, dmccunney wrote:
                        >> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.
                        >>
                        >> I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                        >> was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at an
                        >> assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave bundled,
                        >> Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront.
                        >
                        >> Netfront was the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.
                        >
                        > yes, and, yes
                        >
                        > (I (think?) I've tried a the java based stuff, but, didn't inhale)

                        Opera Mini worked well enough if you could get a compatible JVM (that
                        was fun for the Zodiac), but behaved nothing like a normal PalmOS
                        program. Someone elsewhere was trying to get Opera Mini 4.4 up on the
                        TX, but that's only provided as a jar file, and he wanted to know how
                        to make it a PRC. AFAIK, that chore was done by a tool provided with
                        IBM's Websphere Micro development environment. Have fun finding
                        that...

                        >>> used to use it occasionally, not anymore
                        >>
                        >> What do you use now?
                        >
                        > Android phone/tablet.... Atrix/Xoom for net related stuff
                        >
                        > Palm for most other stuff

                        >>> BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to
                        >>> aCar, so might move car records to A soon.
                        >>
                        >> The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the
                        >> data.
                        >
                        > this was child's play, pFuel outputs text, acar inputs text.
                        > one of my pre-req for any app I use: does it input/output text ?

                        Yep. Alas, not everything I use does.

                        > if I can help you with any NetFront files, just yell

                        What must you absolutely have to run it on the TX, aside from NetFront
                        itself? I'd be inclined to get your files and reproduce your
                        environment.

                        On the Zodiac, IIRC, I needed Dmitry's UDMH to give it enough dynamic
                        heap, and a Japanese app called CodeDiver to force use of the full
                        320x480 screen. Dmirtry offers Maxx as freeware, which he claims will
                        let any OS5 machine run Netfront and Picel Browser.

                        CodeDiver runs fine here, and gets used toi make a few other things
                        use the full screen.

                        Attempts to set up Netfront with UDMH and triggered hard resets.

                        I do full backups with NVBackup after major config changes, so hard
                        resets are a nuisance rather than a disaster. I may just take another
                        shot at getting NetFront running, now I know that it *can*.
                        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                          On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:
                          > FWIW, I do have Netfront running on my TX using a custom ROM developed by Dmitry Grindberg. Chris Short installed the ROM. Still doesn't make for a very nice on-line experience with the TX, but I don't use the TX online anymore anyway. Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates, etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their device.

                          As it happens, NetFront is now running here. A bit of Googling
                          revealed that Dmitry packaged NetFront and supporting files in a PRC
                          you could hotsync, and it would install it for you. Worked fine and
                          was painless. (How I missed the package poking around on Dmitry's
                          site isn't clear.)

                          (There's a TX ROM posed on Dmitry's site, but no documentation on the
                          site or in the archive of what it does and how it differs from the
                          stock ROM. Without knowing more, I wasn't about to fiddle.)

                          > Also, the new Blackberry devices with V10 of their OS looks very capable.

                          Yep. RIM bought Qnx, makers of a real time OS solution, and used Qnx
                          as the basis of the new BB OS. It looks very nice indeed. The big
                          lack at the moment is apps, which will require attracting developers
                          back to the platform. It's a classic Catch 22: they need apps to sell
                          devices, but developers are unlikely to write for the platform unless
                          it has a proven market who might buy their wares.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                            (sending via pm)

                            not sure.... but, I think ? Maxx executes on boot....

                            here all nf3 creator id and 1 x maxx....

                            and, please remember, if this wipes your Palm, there is no need to thank
                            me for free space gained..

                            (hmmm couldn't open Palm via Drive Mode, must be missing device drivers...)

                            probably did need all of these, but..

                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,857,286 NetFront3.prc
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 112 NF3AUTHINFO.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3BOOKMARKDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 96 NF3CACHEDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,231 NF3COOKIEDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3FILEDIALOGDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 176 NF3INFODB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3MSDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3PLUGINDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 224 NF3URLHISTORYDB.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,520 VisitLog.pdb
                            09/04/2013 01:04 PM 3,219 MaxX.pdb
                          • voytekeymont
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                              On Tue, April 9, 2013 1:19 pm, voytek@... wrote:
                              > (sending via pm)

                              hmmmm, was stuck in outbound Q, deleted it now:

                              The host could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
                              server name correctly.

                              Subject 'NETFront'
                              Protocol: SMTP
                              Port: 587
                              Secure(SSL): Yes
                              Socket Error: 11001

                              (out of curiosity, looked at my Netfront history, seemed I've used last at
                              Sydney airports on an overseas trip)
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                                > While the group has been quiet for a while, I suspect at least some
                                > folks still have it in their email configuration, and people here are
                                > likely to appreciate the story. (Warning: long post follows.)

                                And update or two, under the heading (mis)Adventures in TeXas...

                                > (EDIT: It hasn't. Now Hotsync
                                > crashes when run, and I have no idea what's going on. I simply get a
                                > Windows message that Hotsync has encountered an error and needs to
                                > close. This has persisted through a remove and reinstall of Palm
                                > Desktop. This is not critical, as I can Hotsync to another Windows
                                > machine running Win2K, but it's like having an itch I can't scratch
                                > when I don't understand what's going on. )

                                It gets more curious. After a couple of removals/reinstalls of Palm
                                Desktop with Hotsync still dieing horribly when run, I decided to try
                                it from a different userid. There are several configured users on the
                                system where this occurred, so I logged off my normal account and
                                logged on as a different user. Hotsync worked just fine. The problem
                                wasn't on the Pam Desktop and Hotsync end - it was something specific
                                to my configuration. Since it used to work on my ID, the challenge is
                                figuring out what change I made that broke it.

                                > LX works fine on the TX; other things didn't.

                                There's a quirk with LX, too. I got bitten years back by an LX bug:
                                if the LX database that held the config info grew beyond 64KB, LX
                                choked. I believe I was the first to report the issue, because I had a
                                complex enough LX config with everything *including* the kitchen sink
                                installed that LX *hit* that limit. Bozidar apparently thought he
                                knew what was going on, but felt it would take some work to fix. He
                                implemented a partial fix that made LX less likely to hit the 64K
                                limit in practice, but died before getting to a real fix.

                                The odd bit was that it appeared to be version dependent. After Jeff
                                Gibson of GoTreo software bought LX and started the beta cycle for a
                                new version, I had at least one beta where the bug didn't bite. I
                                created an LX config where I pushed the database size to something
                                like 220K with no ill effects. A subsequent beta broke it again, and
                                the 64K limit bit. Jeff couldn't figure out what was going on, but
                                needed to get a release out the door. *His* work-around was to cap
                                the LX DB size at 64K, and if it grew over that, updates would
                                silently fail. I forgot Jeff had done that till I added some things
                                when my LX DB was one the edge of the limit, and said "Why aren't the
                                icons appearing in the first LX tab as they should?" Oh. Right. I
                                forgot Jeff's "fix".

                                I could find some stuff to remove to give me headroom, but this is a
                                problem with no real solution beyond "Don't add more stuff unless you
                                can make some existing stuff go away".

                                > The pick of the litter is probably Apt, an open source application
                                > that is a sort of control panel on steroids for Palm devices.

                                I'm still finding things to do with Apt, and it's a "Why did I not
                                know about this years ago?" item.

                                The other major change was getting NetFront working. I had it on my
                                Zodiac, but attempts to install it on the TX produced hard resets. It
                                turns out Dmitry Grinberg had packaged it as a PRC installer, with
                                NetFront and the other stuff it needed. Hotsync the installer to the
                                TX, run it, let it reset, and Poof! A working NetFront installation.

                                I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and
                                I'm not about to lower my security for the TX.

                                On the Zodiac, I had a SanDisk Wifi SD card with 256MB of storage.
                                It worked, but the SanDisk drivers only did WEP.. To get around that,
                                I added a second router. That was configured as an access point,
                                connecting via a CAT5 cable to the Linksys primary. The Zodiac
                                connected to the second router using WEP, and I had MAC address
                                filtering turned on as well. Since the second router was an access
                                point, DHCP and connection to the outside world were handled by the
                                Linksys, which saw the secondary router as a trusted client, so the
                                Zodiac could authenticate through it.

                                The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the
                                same thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't
                                found the right magic spell for this configuration.

                                This is actually fun for the most part. I *like* technical challenges.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                  > I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                  > security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                                  > not about to lower my security for the TX.

                                  mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                                  in the past, on maybe 2 or 3 ocassion, in public space, couldn't connect,
                                  mostly to do with browser authentication, I think ? neither Bloater nor
                                  NetFront was able to (javascript ?) pass credentials.

                                  maybe once couldn't latch on.

                                  maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me
                                • voytekeymont
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                    > The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                    > router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                                    > thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                                    > right magic spell for this configuration.

                                    I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid

                                    hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:

                                    Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                                    Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                                      On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                      >> The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                      >> router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                                      >> thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                                      >> right magic spell for this configuration.
                                      >
                                      > I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid
                                      >
                                      > hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:
                                      >
                                      > Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                                      > Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

                                      I was running Tomato on my old WRT54G. I'll have to see about putting
                                      a DD-WRT flavor on the old Linksys 801B model if there's one that can
                                      be used.

                                      I don't think I can use third party firmware on the current Belkin
                                      primary, but I'll poke around.
                                      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                                        On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                        >> I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                        >> security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                                        >> not about to lower my security for the TX.
                                        >
                                        > mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                                        Doesn't here. The connection simply fails, whether I use Auto
                                        TKIP/AES or specify AES. I don't see any useful log information to
                                        tell me why it failed, either.

                                        > maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me

                                        Maybe. I've added it to my list of things to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
                                        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519