Re: [peditors] Adventures in TeXas

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 7, 2013
      On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the apps and the post. I am drafting a list of things criteria for a device that might replace my Palm TX.

      You're quite welcome. What might serve as a replacement will depend
      upon what you normally do with the TX.

      My PDA is my extension brain. It exists to be a pocket repository of
      information I prefer not to memorize. About half of what it does is
      function as an eBook viewer. By preference, I get content in HTML
      form and convert for Plucker, but I have eReader (formerly
      PalmReader), Mobipocket Reader, PalmPDF, and PalmFiction for dealing
      with eReader, Mobi. PDF, and Palmdoc/text/ztext files respectively.
      The only thing the PDA won't handle is ePub because no one wrote an
      ePub viewer for PalmOS. That's not a problem, as I can convert ePub
      to Mobi with Calibre on the PC.

      There are still some unresolved mysteries. One is why Hotsync dies
      horribly when run on the machine I'm posting from, when it *used* to
      work at least partially. (Windows Event Log gives no meaningful
      information, and what remains in HP of Palm's documentation is not
      helpful.)

      Another is wifi connectivity. The TX theoretically does WPA-PSK
      encryption, but I've been unable to get it to connect to my network
      which uses that. I had the problem on the Zodiac connection through a
      SanDisk Wifi SD card, because the extant drivers only did WEP, and I
      wasn't willing to downgrade the security of my network for the Zodiac.
      Instead, I plugged another router I had around into my main router
      and configured it as an access point. I left security off, but turned
      on MAC address filtering, and my desktop and the Zodiac were the only
      things allowed to connect to it. The Zodiac could authenticate to the
      second router, and the primary router saw the secondary as a trusted
      client, so it would provide an IP address and network access to the
      Zodiac coming through it. I'm in the process of reproducing that here,
      with an old Linksys router that is aan 801b device. The TX is 801b,
      so there's a match. I can get the TX to connect with the Linksys, but
      still need the magic invocation to make the Belkin primary router
      treat the Linksys as a trusted client and provide an IP address
      through DHCP to the connected TX.

      After that, I get to figure out why when the TX *does* successfully
      connect to an unsecured network, the Blazer web browser is likely to
      crash and reset the device.

      There are also a happier quirk or two.

      One issue with LX that Bozidar planned to work on before his death was
      a limit to how large the LX configuration data file could be, If it
      grew over 64K, LX choked. (I believe I was the one to first report
      this. Most folks never reached the point of having an LX data file
      that big, but I had enough tabs defined and enough apps loaded that I
      did.)

      This was apparently Palm OS version dependent. On my old Zodiac,
      running OS 5.2, I had a beta of LX that did not suffer from it, and
      was able to create an LX datafile 220+K in size with no ill effects.
      A subsequent beta broke that, and I had the 64K limit again. Neither
      Jeff Gibson, who had bought LX from Bozidar's family, nor I knew what
      the issue was, but I said "Get the new version out the door. I'll
      live with the limit. It can be addressed another time.")

      The TX, running OS 5.4.9 seems not to bite on that limit - the current
      LX data file is 66K with no ill effects. (I keep a spare older copy
      below the limit on the card I can copy into RAM if it does bite, so I
      can remove things and pare the LX config back.)

      I still have plans to try to get a working Zodiac again with parts
      transplant (since I have three). Should I do so, some of what I've
      learned in configuring the TX will be applied to the Zodiac, too.

      What criteria have you listed thus far as "must haves" for a possible
      replacement?

      > Best Regards,
      > Dwight...
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
    • Dwight C. Carr
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 7, 2013
        Best of luck getting the TX to resolve WiFi issues.  I have given up on it.  My connection was hit and miss, and now most web sites don't translate to the TX browser.  I have been planning to load the Opera Browser for TX, but never got around to it.  I do have all the parts for the last version that was available for TX.

        I have used Palm OS devices since my first Palm Pilot 1000 in 1996.  I bought my first TX, which is still in use, in 2006 and in 2009 I bought two more from Chris Short and also had Chris refurbish my original TX.  Chris adds glass screen, upgrades digitizer, replaces on/off switch, adds voice recorder, strengthens internal soldering, replaces battery, etc...  I also have Centro and Treo 680 phones, but don't currently use them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX.  I would like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry two devices than go without the palm.  I am debating whether to buy one more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device until at least calendar year 2031.

        Anyway, if I was going to replace the palm, I would hope to be able to satisfy as much of the following criteria as possible.  I would be glad to hear how well any other devices meet the below criteria.

        Global Features:

        - Sync to PC is a must have
        - Global Search is a must have
        - Copy/paste between applications, e.g. copy from contact list and paste to notes... is a must have
        - Ability to hide or mask selected entries marked as private is a must have
        - Ability to lock/unlock the device using password is a must have
        - Word completion e.g. textcomplete style would be nice

        Capability and/or Applications:

        - HanDBase is a must have
        - Docs2Go replacement is a must have
        - $$$ Manager replacement is a must have
        - DayNotez replacement is must have
        - Bonsai outliner replacement is must have

        Phone:

        - Ability to look up and edit/add data, e.g. contact and calendar info, while on a call is a must have
        - Ability to dial from contacts while on a call, e.g. calling card calls a must have

        Contacts:
        - Ability to put text in phone number fields:  e.g.  DSN:  768-4243 is a must have
        - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice
        - Search contact list in all fields is a must have, e.g. find text in a note or in any of the contact fields
        - Search to include partial entries, e.g. search for wig and all entried with Dwight or wiggle in the in a note field will be selected would be nice

        Memos:
        - Search note titles, e.g. text prior to the first hard return, as well as in the entire note would be nice
        - Templates for calendar and note entry would be nice

        Tasks:
        - Link text in Task to an entry in contact list... would be nice
        - Repeating Tasks and calendar events is a must have
        - Must be able to sort on due dates, task description text, category and/or priority.

        Calendar:
        - Ability to schedule for 3rd Tue in March; Last Friday of every month; every Tue, Thur and Friday; etc...is a must have
        - Views for calendar, e.g. only selected categories, filtered on text, etc... is a must have
        - Icons for calendar entries to view in month views would be nice

        ________________________________
> [...]

        was able to create an LX datafile 220+K in size with no ill effects.
        A subsequent beta broke that, and I had the 64K limit again. Neither
        Jeff Gibson, who had bought LX from Bozidar's family, nor I knew what
        the issue was, but I said "Get the new version out the door. I'll
        live with the limit. It can be addressed another time.")

        The TX, running OS 5.4.9 seems not to bite on that limit - the current
        LX data file is 66K with no ill effects. (I keep a spare older copy
        below the limit on the card I can copy into RAM if it does bite, so I
        can remove things and pare the LX config back.)

        I still have plans to try to get a working Zodiac again with parts
        transplant (since I have three). Should I do so, some of what I've
        learned in configuring the TX will be applied to the Zodiac, too.

        What criteria have you listed thus far as "must haves" for a possible

      • Markley Jr, John
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
            On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Markley Jr, John <jmmjr@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dwight. I left Palm for Android a while ago, choosing Android primarily because of my need for excellent calendaring, the knowledge that Steuart Dewar (CESD) of DateBk was going to develop an Android PIM system sync'able with his Desktop Pimlical, based on Java,, and the desire to be involved in the beta testing for that as a (pale) substitute for the fun http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/of pScripting with pToolSet. I am by no means a comprehensive expert in Android OS, but I've tried to answer some of your items in terms of what Android OS can do, in line below , after the <<SNIP>>. There are a lot of differences from Palm in Android, significant learning curve.

            Thanks for chiming in, John.

            Dwight's likely next step if he leaves the PalmOS world will be a
            flavor of Android. I know something about Android on a systems level,
            but don't currently have an Android device and have only a vague
            notion of what apps are available. (I was pretty sure Dataviz had an
            Android version of Docs to Go.)

            I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
            developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
            something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
            might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
            shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

            There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
            and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
            dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
            in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
            https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
              On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:
              > Best of luck getting the TX to resolve WiFi issues. I have given up on it. My connection was hit and miss, and now most web sites don't translate to the TX browser. I have been planning to load the Opera Browser for TX, but never got around to it. I do have all the parts for the last version that was available for TX.

              I thought that installing the Enterprise Security update to TX wifi
              might help, and downloaded the patches, but it turns out the3 person I
              got the TX from had already applied them.

              I had Opera Mini working on the Zodiac. The challenge was finding a
              copy of the IBM Palm JVM that was compatible with the Zodiac. (Clie
              users apparently had similar issues.)

              I have Opera Mini 4.2 apparently running on the TX, though the
              mentioned wifi issues make it hard to really test it. If you have
              both Opera Mini and a working JVM, it's worth loading and trying.
              Since it *is* a Java app intended to be cross platform, it will not
              look and act like a typical Palm app, but what's there seems to work.

              (I can provide the Opera Mini version and JVM if needed.)

              Wifi is a convenience but not a necessity. As mentioned, Palm
              browsers fall down on current sites: support for JavaScript is
              minimal, and CSS support seems nonexistant. Best of the lot on my old
              Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
              to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware
              utility from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic
              heap available. The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
              Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.

              I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
              other things.

              > I have used Palm OS devices since my first Palm Pilot 1000 in 1996. I bought my first TX, which is still in use, in 2006 and in 2009 I bought two more from Chris Short and also had Chris refurbish my original TX. Chris adds glass screen, upgrades digitizer, replaces on/off switch, adds voice recorder, strengthens internal soldering, replaces battery, etc... I also have Centro and Treo 680 phones, but don't currently use them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device until at least calendar year 2031.

              I don't plan to give up the TX (or the Zodiac, if I can get one
              working again.) What they do, they still do well enough for me. I
              don't even really need to Hotsync. I mostly just need to put stuff
              on/take stuff off the device, and I do that through the card.

              Most of what I do with both is read ebooks and play the odd game, and
              occasionally use the calendar app for scheduling. Address book
              updates are a challenge, since my primary contacts list is in GMail.
              I need to do a CSV file download, and import to Palm Desktop. Rather
              than sync the result, I'd grab the PDB file, stash it on the card, and
              stick in in RAM with Filez. (The PDA file would be a limited subset
              of the full one in any case, containing only the most used entries.)

              > Anyway, if I was going to replace the palm, I would hope to be able to satisfy as much of the following criteria as possible. I would be glad to hear how well any other devices meet the below criteria.

              Fortunately, John Markley chimed in. I don't currently have an
              Android device, and have only a vague idea of what is available for
              it.
              https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
            • jhnmarkley
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for chiming in, John.
                >
                > I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                > developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
                > something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
                > might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
                > shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                >
                > There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                > and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
                > dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
                > in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

                Thanks Dennis-
                I've been using Tasker for quite a while, have 14 different profiles running now. I have the scripting layer (SL4A) but have never pursued Python as I have no comp science/programming background other than learning pScripting from Paul's manual, and I bogged down. Maybe this will reactivate me (maybe not).

                ~ John
              • Dwight C. Carr
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Thank you for the response to this post and for the very helpful posts reference pTools scripts in the past.

                  Best Regards,
                  Dwight...

                  ________________________________
[...]

                  Yes, D2G and several others

                  - $$$ Manager replacement is a must have
                  Don't know

                  - DayNotez replacement is must have
                  NoteEverything

                  - Bonsai outliner replacement is must have
                  There are some outliner apps, I ave no experience

                  Phone:

                  - Ability to look up and edit/add data, e.g. contact and calendar info, while on a call is a must have
                  Yes
                  - Ability to dial from contacts while on a call, e.g. calling card calls a must have
                  Yes

                  Contacts:
                  - Ability to put text in phone number fields: e.g. DSN: 768-4243 is a must have
                  No, in the built-in Contacts app. CESD is working on Contacts for Pimlical which may be able to do this.

                  - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice
                  Yes, in Pimlical

                  - Search contact list in all fields is a must have, e.g. find text in a note or in any of the contact fields
                  Yes

                  - Search to include partial entries, e.g. search for wig and all entried with Dwight or wiggle in the in a note field will be selected would be nice
                  Yes

                  Memos:
                  - Search note titles, e.g. text prior to the first hard return, as well as in the entire note would be nice
                  Yes, in Pimlical Memos, and I think in other memo-type apps

                  - Templates for calendar and note entry would be nice
                  Yes in Pimlical Android

                  Tasks:
                  - Link text in Task to an entry in contact list... would be nice
                  Yes in Pimlical

                  - Repeating Tasks and calendar events is a must have
                  Yes in Pimlical

                  - Must be able to sort on due dates, task description text, category and/or priority.
                  I think yes on all, not sure, have not done all - using filters in Pimlical

                  Calendar:
                  - Ability to schedule for 3rd Tue in March; Last Friday of every month; every Tue, Thur and Friday; etc...is a must have
                  Yes, except I think not the "every Tue, Thur and Friday" in one setting.

                  - Views for calendar, e.g. only selected categories, filtered on text, etc... is a must have
                  Yes, Pimlcal

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                    FWIW, I do have Netfront running on my TX using a custom ROM developed by Dmitry Grindberg.  Chris Short installed the ROM.  Still doesn't make for a very nice on-line experience with the TX, but I don't use the TX online anymore anyway.  Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates, etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their device.

                    Also, the new Blackberry devices with V10 of their OS looks very capable.

                    Best Regards,
                    Dwight...

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                      You are most welcome. I hope you have good fortune (and some fun) working out how to proceed-
                      regards,
                      ~ John
                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                        On Tue, April 9, 2013 8:59 am, Dwight C. Carr wrote:

                        > anymore anyway.  Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates,
                        > etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their
                        > device.

                        both for currency and weather, Palm is still right up there

                        check Currency from currex.sf.net, really nifty Palm app that fetches
                        (when/if desired) updates for you;

                        check Weather from Deluxware.com that fetches (when/if desired) updates
                        for you from multiple wherevers

                        (unlike most Android apps that wish to update/pull data every 20 ms
                        regardless)

                        I wish there was Weather from Deluxware for Palm, didn't find anything as
                        good (from my POV)

                        Currency Calc is freeware, Weather was paid for

                        IMHO, both still right up there;
                        still enjoy using both

                        On Tue, April 9, 2013 8:50 am, Dwight C. Carr wrote:
                        > Thank you for the response to this post and for the very helpful posts
                        > reference pTools scripts in the past.

                        yes, still use them occasionally, thanks again
                      • voytekeymont
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                          >> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last

                          Apt seems pretty neat, I'll try installing it on TX maybe T3
                          (wow, never came across it before, where was I?)

                          >> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote something
                          >> that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You might want to
                          >> take a look. Not open source, but really cheap shareware. It's
                          >> available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

                          it that from same guy ?
                          just bought the other day 'just in case it's useful', haven't unpacked it
                          yet, though....

                          >> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                          >> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like dabbling
                          >> in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play in. See
                          >> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

                          installed it the other day, together with REXX (or maybe it's called BREXX?)

                          but, on the phone, character/text mode stuff get too small for my eyes,
                          put it on tablet, but, ended zapping tablet during A4.1 to A4.2 woes...
                          so, need to re-install and try look see. maybe..

                          thanks for the 'Apt' reference !
                        • voytekeymont
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                            On Tue, April 9, 2013 5:03 am, dmccunney wrote:

                            > Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
                            > to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware utility
                            > from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic heap available.
                            > The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
                            > Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.

                            I'm fairly certain my Chris Spring refurbed TX came with NetFront
                            pre-loaded, with whatever was pre-reqs preloaded...

                            (checking...) have NF 3.1 rev 2.022

                            used to use it occasionally, not anymore

                            > I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
                            > other things.

                            yep, ssh

                            >> them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would
                            >> like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry
                            >> two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry
                            >> two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one
                            >> more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device
                            >> until at least calendar year 2031.

                            yep, bt tethered Palm, what a combo, used it for few years, mainly email
                            (Snapper), ssh and, if really needed, web

                            though, I have a wget script that gets me via email what browser is needed
                            for, fetches the page I need

                            Ostiary triggers the wget script, Snapper receives into a subfolder

                            I did get from Chris 2 or maybe 3 devices, 'just in case'

                            I have Android phone/tablet now, so, most of web/net gets done on Android,
                            BUT, Palm goes everywhere

                            BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to aCar,
                            so might move car records to A soon.
                          • voytekeymont
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                              On Mon, April 8, 2013 3:23 pm, Dwight C. Carr wrote:

                              > Contacts:
                              > - Ability to put text in phone number fields:  e.g.  DSN:  768-4243 is a
                              > must have - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice

                              haven't been able to,
                              on the Palm, I have trailing alpha chars after phone number, Android
                              stripped them, and, I don't think I was able to enter them, real PITA

                              and, it drops leading spaces in names in address book, another PITA
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, jhnmarkley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                                > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> Thanks for chiming in, John.
                                >>
                                >> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                                >> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
                                >> something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
                                >> might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
                                >> shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                                >>
                                >> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                                >> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
                                >> dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
                                >> in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                                >
                                > Thanks Dennis-
                                > I've been using Tasker for quite a while, have 14 different profiles running now.

                                Heh. This does not come as a surprise.

                                > I have the scripting layer (SL4A) but have never pursued Python as I have no comp science/programming background other than learning pScripting from Paul's manual, and I bogged down. Maybe this will reactivate me (maybe not).

                                I haven't looked in detail, but my impression is that it's akin to
                                Windows Scripting Host: an interface layer that gives script languages
                                access to to the OS through an API. Python isn't the only script
                                language available.

                                As for learning, I've seen Python suggested as a good introductory
                                language. It's relatively lightweight, object oriented, has the
                                standard language constructs expected of a current language, and is
                                cross-platform. (The desktop parser that creates Plucker documents
                                from HTML files is written in Python, and available for Windows, Mac
                                OS/X, and Linux. Alas, the Linux version won't install on Ubuntu - it
                                hasn't been maintained in too long, and Ubuntu expects to see stuff it
                                doesn't have.)

                                While Python is an interpreted language, it's a hybrid: Python code
                                compiles to a tokenized binary form which is actually executed by the
                                Python runtime. I've seen an assortment of full applications written
                                in Python, because current hardware is fast enough to run it with
                                acceptable performance.

                                There was a partial version of Python for PalmOS called Pippy, as well
                                as several flavors of BASIC, Java, Lisp, Logo, Rexx, Smalltalk, Tcl,
                                and an implementation of C (Onboard C) that compiled code *on* the
                                PDA. (Peter Thorstenson's lovely tejpWriter viewer/editor is written
                                in OnBoard C) There's even more than one implementation of Brainfuck
                                for PalmOS. (BF is one of a class of "write only" languages, whose
                                code is *intended* to be hard to understand, and the name is a
                                description of what it does to the developer writing in it. BF
                                originated on the Amiga, and the first BF compiled was all of 240
                                bytes in size. The developer later optimized that down to 200. :-)
                                )

                                I was sorry when HP swallowed Palm, and then went through management
                                changes. Palm's WebOS looked *very* interesting, and like Android,
                                could be used in things that weren't phones. Former HP CEO Mark Hurd
                                announced plans to put WebOS on everything HP produced, which would
                                have been truly disruptive, but his successors couldn't back away fast
                                enough. Android's programming model is "Write it in Java." WebOS's
                                is "Write it in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript".

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                  On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                  > On Tue, April 9, 2013 5:03 am, dmccunney wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
                                  >> to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware utility
                                  >> from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic heap available.
                                  >> The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
                                  >> Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.
                                  >
                                  > I'm fairly certain my Chris Spring refurbed TX came with NetFront
                                  > pre-loaded, with whatever was pre-reqs preloaded...
                                  >
                                  > (checking...) have NF 3.1 rev 2.022

                                  Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.

                                  I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                                  was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at
                                  an assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave
                                  bundled, Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront. Netfront was
                                  the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.

                                  > used to use it occasionally, not anymore

                                  What do you use now?

                                  >> I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
                                  >> other things.
                                  >
                                  > yep, ssh

                                  There were several ssh clients. Pssh was the one I got to actually
                                  work. I sshed into servers at my then employer, mostly to see if I
                                  could, but I wouldn't have wanted to do anything substantial that way.

                                  >>> them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would
                                  >>> like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry
                                  >>> two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry
                                  >>> two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one
                                  >>> more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device
                                  >>> until at least calendar year 2031.
                                  >
                                  > yep, bt tethered Palm, what a combo, used it for few years, mainly email
                                  > (Snapper), ssh and, if really needed, web
                                  >
                                  > though, I have a wget script that gets me via email what browser is needed
                                  > for, fetches the page I need
                                  >
                                  > Ostiary triggers the wget script, Snapper receives into a subfolder

                                  I have Snapper here, but never really wanted to do email on the Palm.
                                  I use GMail as my main account, prefer the web interface, and the mail
                                  can bloody well wait till I'm at a proper machine to read and reply
                                  from.

                                  > I did get from Chris 2 or maybe 3 devices, 'just in case'
                                  >
                                  > I have Android phone/tablet now, so, most of web/net gets done on Android,
                                  > BUT, Palm goes everywhere

                                  > BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to aCar,
                                  > so might move car records to A soon.

                                  The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the data.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                    On Tue, April 9, 2013 11:45 am, dmccunney wrote:
                                    > On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                    > Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.
                                    >

                                    > I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                                    > was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at an
                                    > assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave bundled,
                                    > Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront.

                                    > Netfront was
                                    > the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.

                                    yes, and, yes

                                    (I (think?) I've tried a the java based stuff, but, didn't inhale)

                                    >> used to use it occasionally, not anymore
                                    >
                                    > What do you use now?

                                    Android phone/tablet.... Atrix/Xoom for net related stuff

                                    Palm for most other stuff

                                    >> BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to
                                    >> aCar, so might move car records to A soon.
                                    >
                                    > The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the
                                    > data. ______

                                    this was child's play, pFuel outputs text, acar inputs text.

                                    one of my pre-req for any app I use: does it input/output text ?

                                    if I can help you with any NetFront files, just yell
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                      >>> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                                      >
                                      > Apt seems pretty neat, I'll try installing it on TX maybe T3
                                      > (wow, never came across it before, where was I?)

                                      That was my reaction when I saw it and started reading. "Holy
                                      <bleep!> How is it that I didn't know about this long ago?" (I
                                      considered myself a more than usually knowledgeable Palm user who
                                      actively *looked* for stuff like that, so $DIETY knows how I missed
                                      it.)

                                      >>> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote something
                                      >>> that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You might want to
                                      >>> take a look. Not open source, but really cheap shareware. It's
                                      >>> available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                                      >
                                      > it that from same guy ?

                                      Yep. Same guy.

                                      > just bought the other day 'just in case it's useful', haven't unpacked it
                                      > yet, though....

                                      I suspect you'll find it of interest. John can probably fill you in.

                                      >>> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                                      >>> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like dabbling
                                      >>> in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play in. See
                                      >>> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                                      >
                                      > installed it the other day, together with REXX (or maybe it's called BREXX?)

                                      Possibly, BREXX. There are several flavors of Rexx out there, all
                                      based on Mike Colishaw's original design. IBM has OORexx, which they
                                      made open source years back. Mark Hessling maintains Regina Rexx.
                                      Vasilis Vlachoudis at CERN is responsible for BREXX, which I recall
                                      getting ported to some odd things.

                                      The REXX Language Association home page has an announcement of an
                                      Android port of REXX from Jaxo, who did a PalmOS version back when, so
                                      that might be it too..

                                      > thanks for the 'Apt' reference !

                                      You're quite welcome.
                                      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                        On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                        > On Tue, April 9, 2013 11:45 am, dmccunney wrote:
                                        >> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.
                                        >>
                                        >> I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                                        >> was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at an
                                        >> assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave bundled,
                                        >> Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront.
                                        >
                                        >> Netfront was the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.
                                        >
                                        > yes, and, yes
                                        >
                                        > (I (think?) I've tried a the java based stuff, but, didn't inhale)

                                        Opera Mini worked well enough if you could get a compatible JVM (that
                                        was fun for the Zodiac), but behaved nothing like a normal PalmOS
                                        program. Someone elsewhere was trying to get Opera Mini 4.4 up on the
                                        TX, but that's only provided as a jar file, and he wanted to know how
                                        to make it a PRC. AFAIK, that chore was done by a tool provided with
                                        IBM's Websphere Micro development environment. Have fun finding
                                        that...

                                        >>> used to use it occasionally, not anymore
                                        >>
                                        >> What do you use now?
                                        >
                                        > Android phone/tablet.... Atrix/Xoom for net related stuff
                                        >
                                        > Palm for most other stuff

                                        >>> BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to
                                        >>> aCar, so might move car records to A soon.
                                        >>
                                        >> The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the
                                        >> data.
                                        >
                                        > this was child's play, pFuel outputs text, acar inputs text.
                                        > one of my pre-req for any app I use: does it input/output text ?

                                        Yep. Alas, not everything I use does.

                                        > if I can help you with any NetFront files, just yell

                                        What must you absolutely have to run it on the TX, aside from NetFront
                                        itself? I'd be inclined to get your files and reproduce your
                                        environment.

                                        On the Zodiac, IIRC, I needed Dmitry's UDMH to give it enough dynamic
                                        heap, and a Japanese app called CodeDiver to force use of the full
                                        320x480 screen. Dmirtry offers Maxx as freeware, which he claims will
                                        let any OS5 machine run Netfront and Picel Browser.

                                        CodeDiver runs fine here, and gets used toi make a few other things
                                        use the full screen.

                                        Attempts to set up Netfront with UDMH and triggered hard resets.

                                        I do full backups with NVBackup after major config changes, so hard
                                        resets are a nuisance rather than a disaster. I may just take another
                                        shot at getting NetFront running, now I know that it *can*.
                                        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                          On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:
                                          > FWIW, I do have Netfront running on my TX using a custom ROM developed by Dmitry Grindberg. Chris Short installed the ROM. Still doesn't make for a very nice on-line experience with the TX, but I don't use the TX online anymore anyway. Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates, etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their device.

                                          As it happens, NetFront is now running here. A bit of Googling
                                          revealed that Dmitry packaged NetFront and supporting files in a PRC
                                          you could hotsync, and it would install it for you. Worked fine and
                                          was painless. (How I missed the package poking around on Dmitry's
                                          site isn't clear.)

                                          (There's a TX ROM posed on Dmitry's site, but no documentation on the
                                          site or in the archive of what it does and how it differs from the
                                          stock ROM. Without knowing more, I wasn't about to fiddle.)

                                          > Also, the new Blackberry devices with V10 of their OS looks very capable.

                                          Yep. RIM bought Qnx, makers of a real time OS solution, and used Qnx
                                          as the basis of the new BB OS. It looks very nice indeed. The big
                                          lack at the moment is apps, which will require attracting developers
                                          back to the platform. It's a classic Catch 22: they need apps to sell
                                          devices, but developers are unlikely to write for the platform unless
                                          it has a proven market who might buy their wares.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                            (sending via pm)

                                            not sure.... but, I think ? Maxx executes on boot....

                                            here all nf3 creator id and 1 x maxx....

                                            and, please remember, if this wipes your Palm, there is no need to thank
                                            me for free space gained..

                                            (hmmm couldn't open Palm via Drive Mode, must be missing device drivers...)

                                            probably did need all of these, but..

                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,857,286 NetFront3.prc
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 112 NF3AUTHINFO.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3BOOKMARKDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 96 NF3CACHEDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,231 NF3COOKIEDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3FILEDIALOGDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 176 NF3INFODB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3MSDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3PLUGINDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 224 NF3URLHISTORYDB.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,520 VisitLog.pdb
                                            09/04/2013 01:04 PM 3,219 MaxX.pdb
                                          • voytekeymont
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                              On Tue, April 9, 2013 1:19 pm, voytek@... wrote:
                                              > (sending via pm)

                                              hmmmm, was stuck in outbound Q, deleted it now:

                                              The host could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
                                              server name correctly.

                                              Subject 'NETFront'
                                              Protocol: SMTP
                                              Port: 587
                                              Secure(SSL): Yes
                                              Socket Error: 11001

                                              (out of curiosity, looked at my Netfront history, seemed I've used last at
                                              Sydney airports on an overseas trip)
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                                On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                                                > While the group has been quiet for a while, I suspect at least some
                                                > folks still have it in their email configuration, and people here are
                                                > likely to appreciate the story. (Warning: long post follows.)

                                                And update or two, under the heading (mis)Adventures in TeXas...

                                                > (EDIT: It hasn't. Now Hotsync
                                                > crashes when run, and I have no idea what's going on. I simply get a
                                                > Windows message that Hotsync has encountered an error and needs to
                                                > close. This has persisted through a remove and reinstall of Palm
                                                > Desktop. This is not critical, as I can Hotsync to another Windows
                                                > machine running Win2K, but it's like having an itch I can't scratch
                                                > when I don't understand what's going on. )

                                                It gets more curious. After a couple of removals/reinstalls of Palm
                                                Desktop with Hotsync still dieing horribly when run, I decided to try
                                                it from a different userid. There are several configured users on the
                                                system where this occurred, so I logged off my normal account and
                                                logged on as a different user. Hotsync worked just fine. The problem
                                                wasn't on the Pam Desktop and Hotsync end - it was something specific
                                                to my configuration. Since it used to work on my ID, the challenge is
                                                figuring out what change I made that broke it.

                                                > LX works fine on the TX; other things didn't.

                                                There's a quirk with LX, too. I got bitten years back by an LX bug:
                                                if the LX database that held the config info grew beyond 64KB, LX
                                                choked. I believe I was the first to report the issue, because I had a
                                                complex enough LX config with everything *including* the kitchen sink
                                                installed that LX *hit* that limit. Bozidar apparently thought he
                                                knew what was going on, but felt it would take some work to fix. He
                                                implemented a partial fix that made LX less likely to hit the 64K
                                                limit in practice, but died before getting to a real fix.

                                                The odd bit was that it appeared to be version dependent. After Jeff
                                                Gibson of GoTreo software bought LX and started the beta cycle for a
                                                new version, I had at least one beta where the bug didn't bite. I
                                                created an LX config where I pushed the database size to something
                                                like 220K with no ill effects. A subsequent beta broke it again, and
                                                the 64K limit bit. Jeff couldn't figure out what was going on, but
                                                needed to get a release out the door. *His* work-around was to cap
                                                the LX DB size at 64K, and if it grew over that, updates would
                                                silently fail. I forgot Jeff had done that till I added some things
                                                when my LX DB was one the edge of the limit, and said "Why aren't the
                                                icons appearing in the first LX tab as they should?" Oh. Right. I
                                                forgot Jeff's "fix".

                                                I could find some stuff to remove to give me headroom, but this is a
                                                problem with no real solution beyond "Don't add more stuff unless you
                                                can make some existing stuff go away".

                                                > The pick of the litter is probably Apt, an open source application
                                                > that is a sort of control panel on steroids for Palm devices.

                                                I'm still finding things to do with Apt, and it's a "Why did I not
                                                know about this years ago?" item.

                                                The other major change was getting NetFront working. I had it on my
                                                Zodiac, but attempts to install it on the TX produced hard resets. It
                                                turns out Dmitry Grinberg had packaged it as a PRC installer, with
                                                NetFront and the other stuff it needed. Hotsync the installer to the
                                                TX, run it, let it reset, and Poof! A working NetFront installation.

                                                I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                                security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and
                                                I'm not about to lower my security for the TX.

                                                On the Zodiac, I had a SanDisk Wifi SD card with 256MB of storage.
                                                It worked, but the SanDisk drivers only did WEP.. To get around that,
                                                I added a second router. That was configured as an access point,
                                                connecting via a CAT5 cable to the Linksys primary. The Zodiac
                                                connected to the second router using WEP, and I had MAC address
                                                filtering turned on as well. Since the second router was an access
                                                point, DHCP and connection to the outside world were handled by the
                                                Linksys, which saw the secondary router as a trusted client, so the
                                                Zodiac could authenticate through it.

                                                The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                                router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the
                                                same thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't
                                                found the right magic spell for this configuration.

                                                This is actually fun for the most part. I *like* technical challenges.
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                                  > I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                                  > security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                                                  > not about to lower my security for the TX.

                                                  mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                                                  in the past, on maybe 2 or 3 ocassion, in public space, couldn't connect,
                                                  mostly to do with browser authentication, I think ? neither Bloater nor
                                                  NetFront was able to (javascript ?) pass credentials.

                                                  maybe once couldn't latch on.

                                                  maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me
                                                • voytekeymont
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                                    > The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                                    > router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                                                    > thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                                                    > right magic spell for this configuration.

                                                    I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid

                                                    hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:

                                                    Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                                                    Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                      On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                                      >> The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                                      >> router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                                                      >> thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                                                      >> right magic spell for this configuration.
                                                      >
                                                      > I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid
                                                      >
                                                      > hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:
                                                      >
                                                      > Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                                                      > Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

                                                      I was running Tomato on my old WRT54G. I'll have to see about putting
                                                      a DD-WRT flavor on the old Linksys 801B model if there's one that can
                                                      be used.

                                                      I don't think I can use third party firmware on the current Belkin
                                                      primary, but I'll poke around.
                                                      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                        On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                                        >> I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                                        >> security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                                                        >> not about to lower my security for the TX.
                                                        >
                                                        > mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                                                        Doesn't here. The connection simply fails, whether I use Auto
                                                        TKIP/AES or specify AES. I don't see any useful log information to
                                                        tell me why it failed, either.

                                                        > maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me

                                                        Maybe. I've added it to my list of things to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
                                                        https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519