Adventures in TeXas

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 7, 2013
      While the group has been quiet for a while, I suspect at least some
      folks still have it in their email configuration, and people here are
      likely to appreciate the story. (Warning: long post follows.)

      As some folks might recall, I'm a Tapwave Zodiac user. My production
      Zodiac finally gave up the ghost. It's possible I can resurrect it,
      by doing parts swapping from the other units, but I haven't gotten to
      it. Meanwhile, I was given a Palm T|X by someone who had moved to a
      Nexus 7 tablet and no longer needed the T|X for the primary use case,
      which was reading ebooks. (And reading dbooks was about half the use
      case for the Zodiac, with about 1.9GB of them on a 2GB SD card, and
      another reason fior wanting a larger screen.)

      So I had a like-new TX, hard-reset to factory default, and started
      trying to recreate my configuration.

      One bit was pedit/ptoolset. I'm fussy about record keeping, and have
      a file where I record user names, serial numbers, reg keys and the
      like for software I buy. Oddly, the entry for pedit had the user name
      but *not* the reg key. I can't imagine how I left it out, but...
      Paul is still around, and was able to provide a replacement within a
      day of my email query. Thanks, Paul!

      Other things were less simple.

      One bit I had problems with was Hotsync. I could do it, but more
      often than not, the PC I'm hotsyncing with, running Win XP Home, would
      crash with a Blue Screen of Death partway through. I updated to the
      most recent Palm Desktop version (6.2) hoping that would help, but it
      didn't. Poking around on-line revealed that Hotsync is apparently
      allergic to multi-core CPUs, and the suggested fix was to set the
      affinity of the process to lock it to one core. I did so, but haven't
      fully verified it fixes things. (EDIT: It hasn't. Now Hotsync
      crashes when run, and I have no idea what's going on. I simply get a
      Windows message that Hotsync has encountered an error and needs to
      close. This has persisted through a remove and reinstall of Palm
      Desktop. This is not critical, as I can Hotsync to another Windows
      machine running Win2K, but it's like having an itch I can't scratch
      when I don't understand what's going on. )

      I still had pretty much my complete Zodiac setup backed up. I formed
      the habit long ago that anything that *could* live on a card, did, and
      had backup archives of my SD cards. I had an "everything *including*
      the kitchen sink" combo, because I could. Apps were classified by
      function, and lived in specific directories of the card.

      The standard for PalmOS is that expansion card aware things all look
      in /Palm/Launcher. I had way too many things to keep there, but
      fortunately, I didn't have to. I use on the late Bozidar Benc's
      LauncherX. LauncherX can run apps from the card, with an additional
      feature: you can configure a list of directories on the card where it
      will look aside from the default /Palm/Launcher directory. LauncherX
      is a tabbed launcher, so my tab assignments map to app categories and
      hense to card directories. The first tab is called Main, and contains
      the most used apps. Apps that are kept on the card for that category
      live in /Palm/Main. Unclassified apps live in /Palm/LX, and there are
      directories for Games, Media, Utils and others. Rebuilding the LX
      config is simplified: after installing and running LX, I create a tab,
      add the directory where that tabs apps live to the LX list, and do a
      Refresh Apps to populate the tab, repeating till done. /Palm/Launcher
      is reserved for things that are hard coded to look there/live there,
      like the components of Docs to Go which can be kept in a card.

      LX has another nifty feature. A problem with keeping apps on the card
      is that Hotsync doesn't see them. To get around that, LX lets you
      create Shortcuts for apps on the card. These act much like the
      Windows shortcuts of the same name: they are smal RAM based pointers
      to the apps on the card. Hotsync *does* see the shortcuts, and things
      behave as expected.

      LX works fine on the TX other things didn't. Several things I run on
      the Zodiac crash on the TX, and I even found myself having a crashing
      app triggering a *hard* reset. I hadn't seen *that* happen before.
      It's stable now, but getting there took some doing, and I learned some
      things and discovered some things in the process.

      One absolute lifesaver was Alex Pruss's NVBackup. NVBackup is a free,
      open source backup utility for Palm devices. It assumes you have an
      expansion card, and does backups to the card. You an choose to do a
      complete backup to a new backup set, or an incremental backup that
      backs up changed files to an existing backup set. Backup sets are
      written to the /Palm/Programs/NVBackup folder on the card, in
      directories whose name are based on the date/timestamp of the backup
      process. NVBackup uses a Palm port of Zlib to do gzip compatible
      compression on files as it adds them to the backup set to reduce the
      space the set takes. It copies itself to the /Palm/Launcher
      directory, then does the backup.
      When I had a hard reset, getting back to where I was was a matter of
      running NVBackup from the card and doing a full restore.

      In the process of getting the TX configured to my liking, I found a
      few things I hadn't seen before.

      One was CardReader, which was on the TX when I got it. Card Reader
      implements an interface which makes Windows see the expansion card as
      a drive when the TX is plugged in via the USB Hotsync cable. I can
      copy and move files between the Windows host and the TX card without
      needing to use a USB card reader or remove the card from the TX.

      Another was MemHack. MemHack is a freeware utility from a Japanese
      author, that reproduces a capability I had back when on my old Visor
      Pro using a commercial PiTech package. One issue Palm users encounter
      is that RAM is finite. The application may be able to live on the
      card, but what about data it uses? For instance, I still use
      BlueNomad's old Wordsmith word processor for Palm devices. Wordsmith
      can run from the card, and see and edit documents stored on the card
      in the /Palm/Programs/Wordsmith directory. But Wordsmith offers spell
      checking and thesaurus facilities which require data files, and those
      can't live on the card. They must be in RAM. MemHack addresses this.
      You can put things like that in the /Palm/Programs/MemHack/<appname>
      directory. When you run the app, MemHack first copies files it finds
      in the app directory to RAM, than runs the app. When you exit the
      app, it deletes the files from RAM. The time required to copy the
      data files to RAM from the card is minimal, and several megs of RAM
      are freed when WS isn't in use.

      A complimentary program is Folder, by Patrice Bernard, principal
      author of the Metro public transit mapping program for Palm and a
      variety of other devices. Folder automatically moves data files you
      hotsync to the device to the location on the card where the
      corresponding application will look for them, like putting Plucker
      documents in /Palm/Programs/Plucker. There is a config screen where
      you define things, giving the Creator ID of the app and the directory
      on the card where its files will live. It comes preconfigured for
      Metro and Cabine, a French airline flight tracking program.

      MemHack and Folder install as Preference Panels, and are configured from there.

      The pick of the litter is probably Apt, an open source application
      that is a sort of control panel on steroids for Palm devices. Apt can
      control things like screen brightness, sound volume, auto-off time and
      device orientation, and can do so on an app by app basis. It Apt is
      enabled, you run the app and Apt applies the desired settings. This
      is a killer capability for me because the TX has a 320x480 screen, and
      there are things I always want in portrait mode, like LX, and things I
      always want in landscape, like the TCPMP media viewer or the Wordsmith
      word processor. I can set those defaults by app in Apt, and they are
      applied automatically when the app is run, and reset to default values
      when it completes. Apt is one of those "Why didn't I know about this
      *before*?" applications. It's a power user's tool that takes some
      time and doc reading to understand, but once you have all manner of
      things are possible.

      I'm putting copies of the distribution archives in the Peditors group
      files area for convenience, but follow these links for things like
      docs. (Critical for Apt!)

      Apt: http://apt-palm.wikidot.com/

      Folder: http://metro.nanika.net/index-en.html

      MemHack: Home page no longer available

      NVBackup: http://handypalmstuff,sourceforge.net

      So how have *your* lives been? :-)
      https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
    • Dwight C. Carr
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 7, 2013
        Thanks for the apps and the post.  I am drafting a list of things criteria for a device that might replace my Palm TX.

        Best Regards,
        Dwight...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 7, 2013
          On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the apps and the post. I am drafting a list of things criteria for a device that might replace my Palm TX.

          You're quite welcome. What might serve as a replacement will depend
          upon what you normally do with the TX.

          My PDA is my extension brain. It exists to be a pocket repository of
          information I prefer not to memorize. About half of what it does is
          function as an eBook viewer. By preference, I get content in HTML
          form and convert for Plucker, but I have eReader (formerly
          PalmReader), Mobipocket Reader, PalmPDF, and PalmFiction for dealing
          with eReader, Mobi. PDF, and Palmdoc/text/ztext files respectively.
          The only thing the PDA won't handle is ePub because no one wrote an
          ePub viewer for PalmOS. That's not a problem, as I can convert ePub
          to Mobi with Calibre on the PC.

          There are still some unresolved mysteries. One is why Hotsync dies
          horribly when run on the machine I'm posting from, when it *used* to
          work at least partially. (Windows Event Log gives no meaningful
          information, and what remains in HP of Palm's documentation is not
          helpful.)

          Another is wifi connectivity. The TX theoretically does WPA-PSK
          encryption, but I've been unable to get it to connect to my network
          which uses that. I had the problem on the Zodiac connection through a
          SanDisk Wifi SD card, because the extant drivers only did WEP, and I
          wasn't willing to downgrade the security of my network for the Zodiac.
          Instead, I plugged another router I had around into my main router
          and configured it as an access point. I left security off, but turned
          on MAC address filtering, and my desktop and the Zodiac were the only
          things allowed to connect to it. The Zodiac could authenticate to the
          second router, and the primary router saw the secondary as a trusted
          client, so it would provide an IP address and network access to the
          Zodiac coming through it. I'm in the process of reproducing that here,
          with an old Linksys router that is aan 801b device. The TX is 801b,
          so there's a match. I can get the TX to connect with the Linksys, but
          still need the magic invocation to make the Belkin primary router
          treat the Linksys as a trusted client and provide an IP address
          through DHCP to the connected TX.

          After that, I get to figure out why when the TX *does* successfully
          connect to an unsecured network, the Blazer web browser is likely to
          crash and reset the device.

          There are also a happier quirk or two.

          One issue with LX that Bozidar planned to work on before his death was
          a limit to how large the LX configuration data file could be, If it
          grew over 64K, LX choked. (I believe I was the one to first report
          this. Most folks never reached the point of having an LX data file
          that big, but I had enough tabs defined and enough apps loaded that I
          did.)

          This was apparently Palm OS version dependent. On my old Zodiac,
          running OS 5.2, I had a beta of LX that did not suffer from it, and
          was able to create an LX datafile 220+K in size with no ill effects.
          A subsequent beta broke that, and I had the 64K limit again. Neither
          Jeff Gibson, who had bought LX from Bozidar's family, nor I knew what
          the issue was, but I said "Get the new version out the door. I'll
          live with the limit. It can be addressed another time.")

          The TX, running OS 5.4.9 seems not to bite on that limit - the current
          LX data file is 66K with no ill effects. (I keep a spare older copy
          below the limit on the card I can copy into RAM if it does bite, so I
          can remove things and pare the LX config back.)

          I still have plans to try to get a working Zodiac again with parts
          transplant (since I have three). Should I do so, some of what I've
          learned in configuring the TX will be applied to the Zodiac, too.

          What criteria have you listed thus far as "must haves" for a possible
          replacement?

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 7, 2013
            Best of luck getting the TX to resolve WiFi issues.  I have given up on it.  My connection was hit and miss, and now most web sites don't translate to the TX browser.  I have been planning to load the Opera Browser for TX, but never got around to it.  I do have all the parts for the last version that was available for TX.

            I have used Palm OS devices since my first Palm Pilot 1000 in 1996.  I bought my first TX, which is still in use, in 2006 and in 2009 I bought two more from Chris Short and also had Chris refurbish my original TX.  Chris adds glass screen, upgrades digitizer, replaces on/off switch, adds voice recorder, strengthens internal soldering, replaces battery, etc...  I also have Centro and Treo 680 phones, but don't currently use them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX.  I would like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry two devices than go without the palm.  I am debating whether to buy one more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device until at least calendar year 2031.

            Anyway, if I was going to replace the palm, I would hope to be able to satisfy as much of the following criteria as possible.  I would be glad to hear how well any other devices meet the below criteria.

            Global Features:

            - Sync to PC is a must have
            - Global Search is a must have
            - Copy/paste between applications, e.g. copy from contact list and paste to notes... is a must have
            - Ability to hide or mask selected entries marked as private is a must have
            - Ability to lock/unlock the device using password is a must have
            - Word completion e.g. textcomplete style would be nice

            Capability and/or Applications:

            - HanDBase is a must have
            - Docs2Go replacement is a must have
            - $$$ Manager replacement is a must have
            - DayNotez replacement is must have
            - Bonsai outliner replacement is must have

            Phone:

            - Ability to look up and edit/add data, e.g. contact and calendar info, while on a call is a must have
            - Ability to dial from contacts while on a call, e.g. calling card calls a must have

            Contacts:
            - Ability to put text in phone number fields:  e.g.  DSN:  768-4243 is a must have
            - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice
            - Search contact list in all fields is a must have, e.g. find text in a note or in any of the contact fields
            - Search to include partial entries, e.g. search for wig and all entried with Dwight or wiggle in the in a note field will be selected would be nice

            Memos:
            - Search note titles, e.g. text prior to the first hard return, as well as in the entire note would be nice
            - Templates for calendar and note entry would be nice

            Tasks:
            - Link text in Task to an entry in contact list... would be nice
            - Repeating Tasks and calendar events is a must have
            - Must be able to sort on due dates, task description text, category and/or priority.

            Calendar:
            - Ability to schedule for 3rd Tue in March; Last Friday of every month; every Tue, Thur and Friday; etc...is a must have
            - Views for calendar, e.g. only selected categories, filtered on text, etc... is a must have
            - Icons for calendar entries to view in month views would be nice

          • Markley Jr, John
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Markley Jr, John <jmmjr@...> wrote:

                > Hi Dwight. I left Palm for Android a while ago, choosing Android primarily because of my need for excellent calendaring, the knowledge that Steuart Dewar (CESD) of DateBk was going to develop an Android PIM system sync'able with his Desktop Pimlical, based on Java,, and the desire to be involved in the beta testing for that as a (pale) substitute for the fun http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/of pScripting with pToolSet. I am by no means a comprehensive expert in Android OS, but I've tried to answer some of your items in terms of what Android OS can do, in line below , after the <<SNIP>>. There are a lot of differences from Palm in Android, significant learning curve.

                Thanks for chiming in, John.

                Dwight's likely next step if he leaves the PalmOS world will be a
                flavor of Android. I know something about Android on a systems level,
                but don't currently have an Android device and have only a vague
                notion of what apps are available. (I was pretty sure Dataviz had an
                Android version of Docs to Go.)

                I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
                something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
                might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
                shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

                There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
                dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
                in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                  On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:
                  > Best of luck getting the TX to resolve WiFi issues. I have given up on it. My connection was hit and miss, and now most web sites don't translate to the TX browser. I have been planning to load the Opera Browser for TX, but never got around to it. I do have all the parts for the last version that was available for TX.

                  I thought that installing the Enterprise Security update to TX wifi
                  might help, and downloaded the patches, but it turns out the3 person I
                  got the TX from had already applied them.

                  I had Opera Mini working on the Zodiac. The challenge was finding a
                  copy of the IBM Palm JVM that was compatible with the Zodiac. (Clie
                  users apparently had similar issues.)

                  I have Opera Mini 4.2 apparently running on the TX, though the
                  mentioned wifi issues make it hard to really test it. If you have
                  both Opera Mini and a working JVM, it's worth loading and trying.
                  Since it *is* a Java app intended to be cross platform, it will not
                  look and act like a typical Palm app, but what's there seems to work.

                  (I can provide the Opera Mini version and JVM if needed.)

                  Wifi is a convenience but not a necessity. As mentioned, Palm
                  browsers fall down on current sites: support for JavaScript is
                  minimal, and CSS support seems nonexistant. Best of the lot on my old
                  Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
                  to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware
                  utility from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic
                  heap available. The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
                  Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.

                  I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
                  other things.

                  > I have used Palm OS devices since my first Palm Pilot 1000 in 1996. I bought my first TX, which is still in use, in 2006 and in 2009 I bought two more from Chris Short and also had Chris refurbish my original TX. Chris adds glass screen, upgrades digitizer, replaces on/off switch, adds voice recorder, strengthens internal soldering, replaces battery, etc... I also have Centro and Treo 680 phones, but don't currently use them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device until at least calendar year 2031.

                  I don't plan to give up the TX (or the Zodiac, if I can get one
                  working again.) What they do, they still do well enough for me. I
                  don't even really need to Hotsync. I mostly just need to put stuff
                  on/take stuff off the device, and I do that through the card.

                  Most of what I do with both is read ebooks and play the odd game, and
                  occasionally use the calendar app for scheduling. Address book
                  updates are a challenge, since my primary contacts list is in GMail.
                  I need to do a CSV file download, and import to Palm Desktop. Rather
                  than sync the result, I'd grab the PDB file, stash it on the card, and
                  stick in in RAM with Filez. (The PDA file would be a limited subset
                  of the full one in any case, containing only the most used entries.)

                  > Anyway, if I was going to replace the palm, I would hope to be able to satisfy as much of the following criteria as possible. I would be glad to hear how well any other devices meet the below criteria.

                  Fortunately, John Markley chimed in. I don't currently have an
                  Android device, and have only a vague idea of what is available for
                  it.
                  https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                • jhnmarkley
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                    --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for chiming in, John.
                    >
                    > I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                    > developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
                    > something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
                    > might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
                    > shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                    >
                    > There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                    > and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
                    > dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
                    > in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

                    Thanks Dennis-
                    I've been using Tasker for quite a while, have 14 different profiles running now. I have the scripting layer (SL4A) but have never pursued Python as I have no comp science/programming background other than learning pScripting from Paul's manual, and I bogged down. Maybe this will reactivate me (maybe not).

                    ~ John
                  • Dwight C. Carr
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                      Thank you for the response to this post and for the very helpful posts reference pTools scripts in the past.

                      Best Regards,
                      Dwight...

                      ________________________________
[...]

                      Yes, D2G and several others

                      - $$$ Manager replacement is a must have
                      Don't know

                      - DayNotez replacement is must have
                      NoteEverything

                      - Bonsai outliner replacement is must have
                      There are some outliner apps, I ave no experience

                      Phone:

                      - Ability to look up and edit/add data, e.g. contact and calendar info, while on a call is a must have
                      Yes
                      - Ability to dial from contacts while on a call, e.g. calling card calls a must have
                      Yes

                      Contacts:
                      - Ability to put text in phone number fields: e.g. DSN: 768-4243 is a must have
                      No, in the built-in Contacts app. CESD is working on Contacts for Pimlical which may be able to do this.

                      - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice
                      Yes, in Pimlical

                      - Search contact list in all fields is a must have, e.g. find text in a note or in any of the contact fields
                      Yes

                      - Search to include partial entries, e.g. search for wig and all entried with Dwight or wiggle in the in a note field will be selected would be nice
                      Yes

                      Memos:
                      - Search note titles, e.g. text prior to the first hard return, as well as in the entire note would be nice
                      Yes, in Pimlical Memos, and I think in other memo-type apps

                      - Templates for calendar and note entry would be nice
                      Yes in Pimlical Android

                      Tasks:
                      - Link text in Task to an entry in contact list... would be nice
                      Yes in Pimlical

                      - Repeating Tasks and calendar events is a must have
                      Yes in Pimlical

                      - Must be able to sort on due dates, task description text, category and/or priority.
                      I think yes on all, not sure, have not done all - using filters in Pimlical

                      Calendar:
                      - Ability to schedule for 3rd Tue in March; Last Friday of every month; every Tue, Thur and Friday; etc...is a must have
                      Yes, except I think not the "every Tue, Thur and Friday" in one setting.

                      - Views for calendar, e.g. only selected categories, filtered on text, etc... is a must have
                      Yes, Pimlcal

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                        FWIW, I do have Netfront running on my TX using a custom ROM developed by Dmitry Grindberg.  Chris Short installed the ROM.  Still doesn't make for a very nice on-line experience with the TX, but I don't use the TX online anymore anyway.  Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates, etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their device.

                        Also, the new Blackberry devices with V10 of their OS looks very capable.

                        Best Regards,
                        Dwight...

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                          You are most welcome. I hope you have good fortune (and some fun) working out how to proceed-
                          regards,
                          ~ John
                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                            On Tue, April 9, 2013 8:59 am, Dwight C. Carr wrote:

                            > anymore anyway.  Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates,
                            > etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their
                            > device.

                            both for currency and weather, Palm is still right up there

                            check Currency from currex.sf.net, really nifty Palm app that fetches
                            (when/if desired) updates for you;

                            check Weather from Deluxware.com that fetches (when/if desired) updates
                            for you from multiple wherevers

                            (unlike most Android apps that wish to update/pull data every 20 ms
                            regardless)

                            I wish there was Weather from Deluxware for Palm, didn't find anything as
                            good (from my POV)

                            Currency Calc is freeware, Weather was paid for

                            IMHO, both still right up there;
                            still enjoy using both

                            On Tue, April 9, 2013 8:50 am, Dwight C. Carr wrote:
                            > Thank you for the response to this post and for the very helpful posts
                            > reference pTools scripts in the past.

                            yes, still use them occasionally, thanks again
                          • voytekeymont
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                              >> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last

                              Apt seems pretty neat, I'll try installing it on TX maybe T3
                              (wow, never came across it before, where was I?)

                              >> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote something
                              >> that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You might want to
                              >> take a look. Not open source, but really cheap shareware. It's
                              >> available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

                              it that from same guy ?
                              just bought the other day 'just in case it's useful', haven't unpacked it
                              yet, though....

                              >> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                              >> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like dabbling
                              >> in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play in. See
                              >> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

                              installed it the other day, together with REXX (or maybe it's called BREXX?)

                              but, on the phone, character/text mode stuff get too small for my eyes,
                              put it on tablet, but, ended zapping tablet during A4.1 to A4.2 woes...
                              so, need to re-install and try look see. maybe..

                              thanks for the 'Apt' reference !
                            • voytekeymont
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                On Tue, April 9, 2013 5:03 am, dmccunney wrote:

                                > Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
                                > to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware utility
                                > from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic heap available.
                                > The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
                                > Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.

                                I'm fairly certain my Chris Spring refurbed TX came with NetFront
                                pre-loaded, with whatever was pre-reqs preloaded...

                                (checking...) have NF 3.1 rev 2.022

                                used to use it occasionally, not anymore

                                > I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
                                > other things.

                                yep, ssh

                                >> them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would
                                >> like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry
                                >> two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry
                                >> two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one
                                >> more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device
                                >> until at least calendar year 2031.

                                yep, bt tethered Palm, what a combo, used it for few years, mainly email
                                (Snapper), ssh and, if really needed, web

                                though, I have a wget script that gets me via email what browser is needed
                                for, fetches the page I need

                                Ostiary triggers the wget script, Snapper receives into a subfolder

                                I did get from Chris 2 or maybe 3 devices, 'just in case'

                                I have Android phone/tablet now, so, most of web/net gets done on Android,
                                BUT, Palm goes everywhere

                                BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to aCar,
                                so might move car records to A soon.
                              • voytekeymont
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                  On Mon, April 8, 2013 3:23 pm, Dwight C. Carr wrote:

                                  > Contacts:
                                  > - Ability to put text in phone number fields:  e.g.  DSN:  768-4243 is a
                                  > must have - Link text in Task to entry in contact list... would be nice

                                  haven't been able to,
                                  on the Palm, I have trailing alpha chars after phone number, Android
                                  stripped them, and, I don't think I was able to enter them, real PITA

                                  and, it drops leading spaces in names in address book, another PITA
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                    On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM, jhnmarkley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                                    > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> Thanks for chiming in, John.
                                    >>
                                    >> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                                    >> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote
                                    >> something that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You
                                    >> might want to take a look. Not open source, but really cheap
                                    >> shareware. It's available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                                    >>
                                    >> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                                    >> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like
                                    >> dabbling in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play
                                    >> in. See http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                                    >
                                    > Thanks Dennis-
                                    > I've been using Tasker for quite a while, have 14 different profiles running now.

                                    Heh. This does not come as a surprise.

                                    > I have the scripting layer (SL4A) but have never pursued Python as I have no comp science/programming background other than learning pScripting from Paul's manual, and I bogged down. Maybe this will reactivate me (maybe not).

                                    I haven't looked in detail, but my impression is that it's akin to
                                    Windows Scripting Host: an interface layer that gives script languages
                                    access to to the OS through an API. Python isn't the only script
                                    language available.

                                    As for learning, I've seen Python suggested as a good introductory
                                    language. It's relatively lightweight, object oriented, has the
                                    standard language constructs expected of a current language, and is
                                    cross-platform. (The desktop parser that creates Plucker documents
                                    from HTML files is written in Python, and available for Windows, Mac
                                    OS/X, and Linux. Alas, the Linux version won't install on Ubuntu - it
                                    hasn't been maintained in too long, and Ubuntu expects to see stuff it
                                    doesn't have.)

                                    While Python is an interpreted language, it's a hybrid: Python code
                                    compiles to a tokenized binary form which is actually executed by the
                                    Python runtime. I've seen an assortment of full applications written
                                    in Python, because current hardware is fast enough to run it with
                                    acceptable performance.

                                    There was a partial version of Python for PalmOS called Pippy, as well
                                    as several flavors of BASIC, Java, Lisp, Logo, Rexx, Smalltalk, Tcl,
                                    and an implementation of C (Onboard C) that compiled code *on* the
                                    PDA. (Peter Thorstenson's lovely tejpWriter viewer/editor is written
                                    in OnBoard C) There's even more than one implementation of Brainfuck
                                    for PalmOS. (BF is one of a class of "write only" languages, whose
                                    code is *intended* to be hard to understand, and the name is a
                                    description of what it does to the developer writing in it. BF
                                    originated on the Amiga, and the first BF compiled was all of 240
                                    bytes in size. The developer later optimized that down to 200. :-)
                                    )

                                    I was sorry when HP swallowed Palm, and then went through management
                                    changes. Palm's WebOS looked *very* interesting, and like Android,
                                    could be used in things that weren't phones. Former HP CEO Mark Hurd
                                    announced plans to put WebOS on everything HP produced, which would
                                    have been truly disruptive, but his successors couldn't back away fast
                                    enough. Android's programming model is "Write it in Java." WebOS's
                                    is "Write it in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript".

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                      On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                      > On Tue, April 9, 2013 5:03 am, dmccunney wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> Zodiac was a version of Access Netfront ripped from a Clie and patched
                                      >> to skip the device check. Getting it running required a shareware utility
                                      >> from Dmitry Grindberg that increased the amount of dynamic heap available.
                                      >> The Zodiac provided 10MB, and Netfront wanted 20.
                                      >> Neither run on the TX, and it's hard reset time if I try.
                                      >
                                      > I'm fairly certain my Chris Spring refurbed TX came with NetFront
                                      > pre-loaded, with whatever was pre-reqs preloaded...
                                      >
                                      > (checking...) have NF 3.1 rev 2.022

                                      Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.

                                      I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                                      was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at
                                      an assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave
                                      bundled, Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront. Netfront was
                                      the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.

                                      > used to use it occasionally, not anymore

                                      What do you use now?

                                      >> I did occasionally use pssh to get to servers, and PalmVNC to get to
                                      >> other things.
                                      >
                                      > yep, ssh

                                      There were several ssh clients. Pssh was the one I got to actually
                                      work. I sshed into servers at my then employer, mostly to see if I
                                      could, but I wouldn't have wanted to do anything substantial that way.

                                      >>> them as I use older cellphones with bluetooth paired to my TX. I would
                                      >>> like to find a phone that meets the TX useage so I would have to carry
                                      >>> two devices, but until I find a suitable replacement, I'd rather carry
                                      >>> two devices than go without the palm. I am debating whether to buy one
                                      >>> more refurbished TX from Chris in order to ensure I have a palm device
                                      >>> until at least calendar year 2031.
                                      >
                                      > yep, bt tethered Palm, what a combo, used it for few years, mainly email
                                      > (Snapper), ssh and, if really needed, web
                                      >
                                      > though, I have a wget script that gets me via email what browser is needed
                                      > for, fetches the page I need
                                      >
                                      > Ostiary triggers the wget script, Snapper receives into a subfolder

                                      I have Snapper here, but never really wanted to do email on the Palm.
                                      I use GMail as my main account, prefer the web interface, and the mail
                                      can bloody well wait till I'm at a proper machine to read and reply
                                      from.

                                      > I did get from Chris 2 or maybe 3 devices, 'just in case'
                                      >
                                      > I have Android phone/tablet now, so, most of web/net gets done on Android,
                                      > BUT, Palm goes everywhere

                                      > BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to aCar,
                                      > so might move car records to A soon.

                                      The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the data.
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                        On Tue, April 9, 2013 11:45 am, dmccunney wrote:
                                        > On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                        > Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.
                                        >

                                        > I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                                        > was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at an
                                        > assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave bundled,
                                        > Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront.

                                        > Netfront was
                                        > the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.

                                        yes, and, yes

                                        (I (think?) I've tried a the java based stuff, but, didn't inhale)

                                        >> used to use it occasionally, not anymore
                                        >
                                        > What do you use now?

                                        Android phone/tablet.... Atrix/Xoom for net related stuff

                                        Palm for most other stuff

                                        >> BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to
                                        >> aCar, so might move car records to A soon.
                                        >
                                        > The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the
                                        > data. ______

                                        this was child's play, pFuel outputs text, acar inputs text.

                                        one of my pre-req for any app I use: does it input/output text ?

                                        if I can help you with any NetFront files, just yell
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                          On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                          >>> I mentioned Apt in my original post. As it happens, the last
                                          >
                                          > Apt seems pretty neat, I'll try installing it on TX maybe T3
                                          > (wow, never came across it before, where was I?)

                                          That was my reaction when I saw it and started reading. "Holy
                                          <bleep!> How is it that I didn't know about this long ago?" (I
                                          considered myself a more than usually knowledgeable Palm user who
                                          actively *looked* for stuff like that, so $DIETY knows how I missed
                                          it.)

                                          >>> developer on Apt is in the Android world these days, and wrote something
                                          >>> that appears to be comparable to Apt called Tasker. You might want to
                                          >>> take a look. Not open source, but really cheap shareware. It's
                                          >>> available from http://tasker.dinglisch.net/
                                          >
                                          > it that from same guy ?

                                          Yep. Same guy.

                                          > just bought the other day 'just in case it's useful', haven't unpacked it
                                          > yet, though....

                                          I suspect you'll find it of interest. John can probably fill you in.

                                          >>> There is an alpha scripting layer for Android, allowing folks to write
                                          >>> and run code in things like Python and Perl, so it you feel like dabbling
                                          >>> in something other than pscripts, there's a sandbox to play in. See
                                          >>> http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
                                          >
                                          > installed it the other day, together with REXX (or maybe it's called BREXX?)

                                          Possibly, BREXX. There are several flavors of Rexx out there, all
                                          based on Mike Colishaw's original design. IBM has OORexx, which they
                                          made open source years back. Mark Hessling maintains Regina Rexx.
                                          Vasilis Vlachoudis at CERN is responsible for BREXX, which I recall
                                          getting ported to some odd things.

                                          The REXX Language Association home page has an announcement of an
                                          Android port of REXX from Jaxo, who did a PalmOS version back when, so
                                          that might be it too..

                                          > thanks for the 'Apt' reference !

                                          You're quite welcome.
                                          https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                            On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                            > On Tue, April 9, 2013 11:45 am, dmccunney wrote:
                                            >> On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM, <voytek@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            >> Huh. So it *does* run on the TX.
                                            >>
                                            >> I'll have to give it another shot. Not sure which version I have - it
                                            >> was one Dmitry Grindberg originally ripped out of a Clie. I looked at an
                                            >> assortment of browsers on the Zodiac, including the one Tapwave bundled,
                                            >> Opera Mini, Xiino, Novarra Nweb, and Netfront.
                                            >
                                            >> Netfront was the best of the lot, but that wasn't saying much.
                                            >
                                            > yes, and, yes
                                            >
                                            > (I (think?) I've tried a the java based stuff, but, didn't inhale)

                                            Opera Mini worked well enough if you could get a compatible JVM (that
                                            was fun for the Zodiac), but behaved nothing like a normal PalmOS
                                            program. Someone elsewhere was trying to get Opera Mini 4.4 up on the
                                            TX, but that's only provided as a jar file, and he wanted to know how
                                            to make it a PRC. AFAIK, that chore was done by a tool provided with
                                            IBM's Websphere Micro development environment. Have fun finding
                                            that...

                                            >>> used to use it occasionally, not anymore
                                            >>
                                            >> What do you use now?
                                            >
                                            > Android phone/tablet.... Atrix/Xoom for net related stuff
                                            >
                                            > Palm for most other stuff

                                            >>> BTW, just transferred 10 years worth of car fuel data from pFuel to
                                            >>> aCar, so might move car records to A soon.
                                            >>
                                            >> The real fun part in migrating to a new device isn't the apps, it's the
                                            >> data.
                                            >
                                            > this was child's play, pFuel outputs text, acar inputs text.
                                            > one of my pre-req for any app I use: does it input/output text ?

                                            Yep. Alas, not everything I use does.

                                            > if I can help you with any NetFront files, just yell

                                            What must you absolutely have to run it on the TX, aside from NetFront
                                            itself? I'd be inclined to get your files and reproduce your
                                            environment.

                                            On the Zodiac, IIRC, I needed Dmitry's UDMH to give it enough dynamic
                                            heap, and a Japanese app called CodeDiver to force use of the full
                                            320x480 screen. Dmirtry offers Maxx as freeware, which he claims will
                                            let any OS5 machine run Netfront and Picel Browser.

                                            CodeDiver runs fine here, and gets used toi make a few other things
                                            use the full screen.

                                            Attempts to set up Netfront with UDMH and triggered hard resets.

                                            I do full backups with NVBackup after major config changes, so hard
                                            resets are a nuisance rather than a disaster. I may just take another
                                            shot at getting NetFront running, now I know that it *can*.
                                            https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                              On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Dwight C. Carr <carrdwight@...> wrote:
                                              > FWIW, I do have Netfront running on my TX using a custom ROM developed by Dmitry Grindberg. Chris Short installed the ROM. Still doesn't make for a very nice on-line experience with the TX, but I don't use the TX online anymore anyway. Would be nice to check weather and exchange rates, etc..., but I can ask my wife or one of my kids to look it up on their device.

                                              As it happens, NetFront is now running here. A bit of Googling
                                              revealed that Dmitry packaged NetFront and supporting files in a PRC
                                              you could hotsync, and it would install it for you. Worked fine and
                                              was painless. (How I missed the package poking around on Dmitry's
                                              site isn't clear.)

                                              (There's a TX ROM posed on Dmitry's site, but no documentation on the
                                              site or in the archive of what it does and how it differs from the
                                              stock ROM. Without knowing more, I wasn't about to fiddle.)

                                              > Also, the new Blackberry devices with V10 of their OS looks very capable.

                                              Yep. RIM bought Qnx, makers of a real time OS solution, and used Qnx
                                              as the basis of the new BB OS. It looks very nice indeed. The big
                                              lack at the moment is apps, which will require attracting developers
                                              back to the platform. It's a classic Catch 22: they need apps to sell
                                              devices, but developers are unlikely to write for the platform unless
                                              it has a proven market who might buy their wares.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                                (sending via pm)

                                                not sure.... but, I think ? Maxx executes on boot....

                                                here all nf3 creator id and 1 x maxx....

                                                and, please remember, if this wipes your Palm, there is no need to thank
                                                me for free space gained..

                                                (hmmm couldn't open Palm via Drive Mode, must be missing device drivers...)

                                                probably did need all of these, but..

                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,857,286 NetFront3.prc
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 112 NF3AUTHINFO.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3BOOKMARKDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 96 NF3CACHEDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,231 NF3COOKIEDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3FILEDIALOGDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 176 NF3INFODB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 362 NF3MSDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 80 NF3PLUGINDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 224 NF3URLHISTORYDB.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:01 PM 1,520 VisitLog.pdb
                                                09/04/2013 01:04 PM 3,219 MaxX.pdb
                                              • voytekeymont
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 8, 2013
                                                  On Tue, April 9, 2013 1:19 pm, voytek@... wrote:
                                                  > (sending via pm)

                                                  hmmmm, was stuck in outbound Q, deleted it now:

                                                  The host could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the
                                                  server name correctly.

                                                  Subject 'NETFront'
                                                  Protocol: SMTP
                                                  Port: 587
                                                  Secure(SSL): Yes
                                                  Socket Error: 11001

                                                  (out of curiosity, looked at my Netfront history, seemed I've used last at
                                                  Sydney airports on an overseas trip)
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                                    On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                                                    > While the group has been quiet for a while, I suspect at least some
                                                    > folks still have it in their email configuration, and people here are
                                                    > likely to appreciate the story. (Warning: long post follows.)

                                                    And update or two, under the heading (mis)Adventures in TeXas...

                                                    > (EDIT: It hasn't. Now Hotsync
                                                    > crashes when run, and I have no idea what's going on. I simply get a
                                                    > Windows message that Hotsync has encountered an error and needs to
                                                    > close. This has persisted through a remove and reinstall of Palm
                                                    > Desktop. This is not critical, as I can Hotsync to another Windows
                                                    > machine running Win2K, but it's like having an itch I can't scratch
                                                    > when I don't understand what's going on. )

                                                    It gets more curious. After a couple of removals/reinstalls of Palm
                                                    Desktop with Hotsync still dieing horribly when run, I decided to try
                                                    it from a different userid. There are several configured users on the
                                                    system where this occurred, so I logged off my normal account and
                                                    logged on as a different user. Hotsync worked just fine. The problem
                                                    wasn't on the Pam Desktop and Hotsync end - it was something specific
                                                    to my configuration. Since it used to work on my ID, the challenge is
                                                    figuring out what change I made that broke it.

                                                    > LX works fine on the TX; other things didn't.

                                                    There's a quirk with LX, too. I got bitten years back by an LX bug:
                                                    if the LX database that held the config info grew beyond 64KB, LX
                                                    choked. I believe I was the first to report the issue, because I had a
                                                    complex enough LX config with everything *including* the kitchen sink
                                                    installed that LX *hit* that limit. Bozidar apparently thought he
                                                    knew what was going on, but felt it would take some work to fix. He
                                                    implemented a partial fix that made LX less likely to hit the 64K
                                                    limit in practice, but died before getting to a real fix.

                                                    The odd bit was that it appeared to be version dependent. After Jeff
                                                    Gibson of GoTreo software bought LX and started the beta cycle for a
                                                    new version, I had at least one beta where the bug didn't bite. I
                                                    created an LX config where I pushed the database size to something
                                                    like 220K with no ill effects. A subsequent beta broke it again, and
                                                    the 64K limit bit. Jeff couldn't figure out what was going on, but
                                                    needed to get a release out the door. *His* work-around was to cap
                                                    the LX DB size at 64K, and if it grew over that, updates would
                                                    silently fail. I forgot Jeff had done that till I added some things
                                                    when my LX DB was one the edge of the limit, and said "Why aren't the
                                                    icons appearing in the first LX tab as they should?" Oh. Right. I
                                                    forgot Jeff's "fix".

                                                    I could find some stuff to remove to give me headroom, but this is a
                                                    problem with no real solution beyond "Don't add more stuff unless you
                                                    can make some existing stuff go away".

                                                    > The pick of the litter is probably Apt, an open source application
                                                    > that is a sort of control panel on steroids for Palm devices.

                                                    I'm still finding things to do with Apt, and it's a "Why did I not
                                                    know about this years ago?" item.

                                                    The other major change was getting NetFront working. I had it on my
                                                    Zodiac, but attempts to install it on the TX produced hard resets. It
                                                    turns out Dmitry Grinberg had packaged it as a PRC installer, with
                                                    NetFront and the other stuff it needed. Hotsync the installer to the
                                                    TX, run it, let it reset, and Poof! A working NetFront installation.

                                                    I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                                    security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and
                                                    I'm not about to lower my security for the TX.

                                                    On the Zodiac, I had a SanDisk Wifi SD card with 256MB of storage.
                                                    It worked, but the SanDisk drivers only did WEP.. To get around that,
                                                    I added a second router. That was configured as an access point,
                                                    connecting via a CAT5 cable to the Linksys primary. The Zodiac
                                                    connected to the second router using WEP, and I had MAC address
                                                    filtering turned on as well. Since the second router was an access
                                                    point, DHCP and connection to the outside world were handled by the
                                                    Linksys, which saw the secondary router as a trusted client, so the
                                                    Zodiac could authenticate through it.

                                                    The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                                    router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the
                                                    same thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't
                                                    found the right magic spell for this configuration.

                                                    This is actually fun for the most part. I *like* technical challenges.
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                                      > I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                                      > security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                                                      > not about to lower my security for the TX.

                                                      mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                                                      in the past, on maybe 2 or 3 ocassion, in public space, couldn't connect,
                                                      mostly to do with browser authentication, I think ? neither Bloater nor
                                                      NetFront was able to (javascript ?) pass credentials.

                                                      maybe once couldn't latch on.

                                                      maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me
                                                    • voytekeymont
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 9, 2013
                                                        > The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                                        > router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                                                        > thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                                                        > right magic spell for this configuration.

                                                        I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid

                                                        hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:

                                                        Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                                                        Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                          On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                                          >> The primary router now is a Belkin, and I found an old Linksys 801B
                                                          >> router I'm attempting to set up as a secondary to the Belkin to do the same
                                                          >> thing with the TX I used to do with the Zodiac. I just haven't found the
                                                          >> right magic spell for this configuration.
                                                          >
                                                          > I have 3 old Linksys with dd-wrt on same ssid
                                                          >
                                                          > hmmm, must've had power outage 9 month ago:
                                                          >
                                                          > Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/30/08) micro
                                                          > Time: 06:45:04 up 279 days, 37 min, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

                                                          I was running Tomato on my old WRT54G. I'll have to see about putting
                                                          a DD-WRT flavor on the old Linksys 801B model if there's one that can
                                                          be used.

                                                          I don't think I can use third party firmware on the current Belkin
                                                          primary, but I'll poke around.
                                                          https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 10, 2013
                                                            On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM, <voytek@...> wrote:

                                                            >> I'm still trying to get wifi to work. The TX supposedly does WPA-PSK
                                                            >> security, but it refuses to connect to my router which uses that, and I'm
                                                            >> not about to lower my security for the TX.
                                                            >
                                                            > mine works fine with Personal WPA-PSK Auto TKIP/AES

                                                            Doesn't here. The connection simply fails, whether I use Auto
                                                            TKIP/AES or specify AES. I don't see any useful log information to
                                                            tell me why it failed, either.

                                                            > maybe drop down the b/g/n down a range, rather than WPA/WEP, worked for me

                                                            Maybe. I've added it to my list of things to try. Thanks for the suggestion.
                                                            https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519