Re: [peditors] removing stuff between '<' and '>' ?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
      Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:
      > John,
      > ahem, dumb operator's dumb error....
      > I can't recall (or figure out...) where/how to put the script, save/name
      > it, and invoke it...
      > I'm going over the old notes you sent me last time, but haven't found it yet.

      I've modified a tutorial I did a long time ago for your project. Read
      and do the whole thing below and you'll be up and running.

      pScripting tutorial:

      Since I am frequently helping others use pScripting for Palm OS,
      I've written this intro tutorial to avoid repetition of effort. I
      have no commercial connection whatever with the pToolSet and pedit
      family of apps, but rather am myself a long-time happy user of them
      (and a beta tester), grateful to their developer, Paul Nevai, for
      their power, utility, and high quality.

      pToolSet is a suite of 29 .prc's, a few of which will appear as
      apps in your launcher, but most of which run invisibly as background
      extensions until called upon. These have a multitude of utility
      functions such as full-featured text editing of any Palm text field,
      making entries into calendar, memo, and task DBs while still in other
      apps, and text searches, and much more. In addition pToolSet enables
      the use of macro scripts, called pScripts, which will automate nearly
      any sequence of actions normally performed manually with keystrokes,
      button presses, and stylus. Full use can be made of all the utility
      functions of pToolSet without ever using pScripts. pScripting can be
      used to automate and facilitate use of the Palm device without using
      any of the other pToolSet modules. pToolSet and the pScripting
      computer language were written by Paul Nevai, a professor of
      mathematics at Ohio State University.

      To evaluate pToolSet go to

      and click in the left column on the pToolSet link under the pToolSet
      heading, and also download the html manual listed under ptoolSet
      documentation. To make full use of pScripting, also download the html
      manual under pedit documentation, and the pScriptRunner link under the
      pToolSet heading.

      There are 29 .prc's in the pToolSet folder. Install them all, as
      they are interactive and needed for full function. Do not install the
      contents of the 00pToolButtons subfolder. Once installed pToolSet
      should automatically be on and running, but to be sure, look in your
      launcher and tap/select the "pToolOn" app. The functions of all the
      pToolSet modules are fully described in the pToolSet manual. The
      reason for downloading the pedit manual is that it contains the full
      manual for the pScripting language, which was initially written by
      Paul Nevai for the pedit text editor apps, but which has been extended
      to operate via pToolSet globally, without the need to have one of the
      pedit test editor family e.g. peditPro.

      The master control, in essence a launcher, for pToolSet is
      pMasterTool. When launched it appears as a single column list of all
      the pToolSet modules and a number of actions. It can be launched in a
      variety of ways detailed in the manual, including screen taps, button
      press-and-holds, and key presses. However, to start, the easiest way
      is to open the command bar (stylus forward upward slash stroke) and
      tap the P-house icon which will be present if pToolSet is on. If you
      have a Treo the command bar can be displayed using a feature of Butler
      or 2LaunchMe. If you have a Treo but no way to display the command
      bar, proceed as in the next paragraph, taken from the manual.
      Otherwise skip to the paragraph after next.

      You can activate pMasterTool as an Operating System Extension,
      which is the launcher for pToolSet modules and special actions, using
      a screen tap, a hard button press and hold, or the ESC key mechanism,
      as follows. Launch the pToolPrefs application which will have appeared
      in your launcher after installing pToolSet. Check on the "buttons" and
      "taps" check boxes. Select the "Taps" button. Select the long box
      under "pick tap pattern:" and select "BOTTOM border of DisplayScreen".
      Select the box next to "LAST FOURTH" and select "current pMasterT".
      Select OK and OK. Now a screen tap in the right fourth of the screen
      bottom edge will launch pMasterTool as the extension. Another
      practical choice is the "LAST FOURTH" of the "RIGHT border of
      DisplayScreen". ?Similarly, using the "Buttons" button in pToolPrefs
      you can designate a press-and-hold of one of the hard buttons to
      activate pMasterTool. Or, to use the ESC key mechanism, launch
      pToolPrefs and check on the "use ESC key" box. Put an infrequently
      used lower case letter such as "z", or one of the opt button
      characters such as "+" in the highlighted space. When you press the
      letter key once, or press opt plus key simultaneously, pMasterTool
      will launch. To type the character press the letter key a second time,
      or press opt and character in sequence rather than simultaneously.

      You can have more than one method to display the pMasterTool list
      (henceforth "PMT") set up. You can also configure the PMT list in
      different orders, and can configure it to use lower-case key presses
      to activate the modules for Treo friendliness (see the manual or ask
      me or the pedit forum). If your interest is in using the pToolSet
      modules, the tutorial is done. Just open PMT and activate a module
      and experiment, read the manual(carefully, it is very
      information-dense), visit the forum. Explore the PMT dropdown menus
      obtained by tap/press on menu, or tap on the header bar, while the PMT
      list is open. If you want to do pScripting, read on.

      Usually if you are reading this far it is because I'm helping you
      with a specific pScripting project goal such as automating a sequence
      for use in some app such as DateBk. The following will take you up to
      the point where we will do the specific pScript you need.
      1) Open PMT. Select pScriptPad. This will open a memo-pad-like
      text field with the header scriptPad-#1. This pad, and only this one,
      is recognized by the pScripting engines of pToolSet to contain the
      code which constitutes pScripts.
      2) First we'll set it up so you can use pScriptButtons, and several
      other methods, to launch pScripts. 2 or 3 lines down from the top of
      pScriptPad write

      Everything you write in pScriptPad must be exact, as it is computer
      code and taken literally. For example, there are no spaces in

      2 or 3 lines below custBtnPageTotal=1 write

      Now Voytek, put the {remove < >:: pScript here, so your pScript pad
      should now look like

      {remove < >::
      /&script$[@@rem< >2@@]}
      {rem< >2::
      /&specAct[8] <
      /xEpst I
      /xEpst S
      /xEpst W
      /xEpst f
      /xEpst d
      /&script$[@@rem< >3@@]}
      {rem< >3::
      /&script$[@@rem< >4@@]}
      {rem< >4::
      /&specAct[8] >
      /xEpst f
      /xEpst d
      /&script$[@@rem< >5@@]}
      {rem< >5::
      /&clipAdd i[$B]
      /&script$[@@rem< >6@@]}
      {rem< >6::
      /&script$[@@rem< >7@@]}
      {rem< >7::
      /xEpst f
      /xEpst d

      Tap OK to leave pScriptPad

      Open a text field that has a test text to try out the remove< > script
      on, something like

      xxxxxxxxx <abcdabcd > zzzzzzzz, with the cursor flashing anywhere in
      the field.

      Open the pMasterTool list as you learned to do above and select
      pScriptButtons (Buttons, not Pad).

      Tap the button that says "remove < >".

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
        Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

        > I've modified a tutorial I did a long time ago for your project. Read
        > and do the whole thing below and you'll be up and running.

        Voytek -

        Here's a short explanation for why you need to do the long item I
        sent you (not as long as it looks to do though).

        To run a pScript you need to have it in pScriptPad, properly, and
        you need to use one of several methods available to launch it. For
        starters the pToolSet module called pScriptButtons I think is best for
        launching. In order to use pScriptPad and pScriptButtons (and all the
        other pToolSet tools) you need to be able to open pMasterTool, which
        is a scrollable list of the modules from which you can launch them.
        So, you need to

        install pToolSet
        open pMasterTool to open pScriptPad
        put the pScript in the pScriptPad in a certain way to be able to use
        make a test text to run the pScript on
        use pMasterTool to open pScriptButtons and run the "remove < >" pScript

        The tutorial explains how to do all this.