Re: [peditors] removing stuff between '<' and '>' ?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
      Voytek -

      Here is a shorter and much more elegant way to get the same result.
      I think it is better than the first one. It will only run in an
      active text field. It will run in a text field that does not have
      both < and > bracketing some text but will not do anything to the text
      at all. When <text> is present it will remove it.

      {remove < >::
      /&ifAbort@[$^==0]
      /&script$[@@rem< >2@@]}
      {rem< >2::
      /&specAct[8] <
      /xEpst I
      /xEpst S
      /xEpst W
      /xEpst f
      /xEpst d
      /0x1C
      /&script$[@@rem< >3@@]}
      {rem< >3::
      /!/$c/&varSet@[$4,$$]
      /&script$[@@rem< >4@@]}
      {rem< >4::
      /&specAct[8] >
      /xEpst f
      /xEpst d
      /0x1D
      /&script$[@@rem< >5@@]}
      {rem< >5::
      /!/$c
      /&varSet@[$5,$$]
      /&varAdd@[$5,-$4]
      /&varSubStr@[$B,$^,$4,$5]
      /&clipAdd i[$B]
      /&script$[@@rem< >6@@]}
      {rem< >6::
      /&specAct[8]
      /&script$[@@rem< >7@@]}
      {rem< >7::
      /ep
      /xEpst f
      /xEpst d
      /0x08
      /&mess[@@DONE@@,,150]}

      regards,
      ~ John
    • Voytek Eymont
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
        On Wed, June 29, 2011 11:11 pm, John Markley wrote:

        > Here is a shorter and much more elegant way to get the same result.
        > I think it is better than the first one. It will only run in an
        > active text field. It will run in a text field that does not have both <
        > and > bracketing some text but will not do anything to the text at all.
        > When <text> is present it will remove it.

        John,

        ahem, dumb operator's dumb error....

        I can't recall (or figure out...) where/how to put the script, save/name
        it, and invoke it...

        I'm going over the old notes you sent me last time, but haven't found it yet.

        --
        Voytek
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
          Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:
          > John,
          >
          > ahem, dumb operator's dumb error....
          >
          > I can't recall (or figure out...) where/how to put the script, save/name
          > it, and invoke it...
          >
          > I'm going over the old notes you sent me last time, but haven't found it yet.

          I've modified a tutorial I did a long time ago for your project. Read
          and do the whole thing below and you'll be up and running.

          **********

          pScripting tutorial:

          Since I am frequently helping others use pScripting for Palm OS,
          I've written this intro tutorial to avoid repetition of effort. I
          have no commercial connection whatever with the pToolSet and pedit
          family of apps, but rather am myself a long-time happy user of them
          (and a beta tester), grateful to their developer, Paul Nevai, for
          their power, utility, and high quality.

          pToolSet is a suite of 29 .prc's, a few of which will appear as
          apps in your launcher, but most of which run invisibly as background
          extensions until called upon. These have a multitude of utility
          functions such as full-featured text editing of any Palm text field,
          making entries into calendar, memo, and task DBs while still in other
          apps, and text searches, and much more. In addition pToolSet enables
          the use of macro scripts, called pScripts, which will automate nearly
          any sequence of actions normally performed manually with keystrokes,
          button presses, and stylus. Full use can be made of all the utility
          functions of pToolSet without ever using pScripts. pScripting can be
          used to automate and facilitate use of the Palm device without using
          any of the other pToolSet modules. pToolSet and the pScripting
          computer language were written by Paul Nevai, a professor of
          mathematics at Ohio State University.

          To evaluate pToolSet go to

          http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/

          and click in the left column on the pToolSet link under the pToolSet
          heading, and also download the html manual listed under ptoolSet
          documentation. To make full use of pScripting, also download the html
          manual under pedit documentation, and the pScriptRunner link under the
          pToolSet heading.

          There are 29 .prc's in the pToolSet folder. Install them all, as
          they are interactive and needed for full function. Do not install the
          contents of the 00pToolButtons subfolder. Once installed pToolSet
          should automatically be on and running, but to be sure, look in your
          launcher and tap/select the "pToolOn" app. The functions of all the
          pToolSet modules are fully described in the pToolSet manual. The
          reason for downloading the pedit manual is that it contains the full
          manual for the pScripting language, which was initially written by
          Paul Nevai for the pedit text editor apps, but which has been extended
          to operate via pToolSet globally, without the need to have one of the
          pedit test editor family e.g. peditPro.

          The master control, in essence a launcher, for pToolSet is
          pMasterTool. When launched it appears as a single column list of all
          the pToolSet modules and a number of actions. It can be launched in a
          variety of ways detailed in the manual, including screen taps, button
          press-and-holds, and key presses. However, to start, the easiest way
          is to open the command bar (stylus forward upward slash stroke) and
          tap the P-house icon which will be present if pToolSet is on. If you
          have a Treo the command bar can be displayed using a feature of Butler
          or 2LaunchMe. If you have a Treo but no way to display the command
          bar, proceed as in the next paragraph, taken from the manual.
          Otherwise skip to the paragraph after next.

          You can activate pMasterTool as an Operating System Extension,
          which is the launcher for pToolSet modules and special actions, using
          a screen tap, a hard button press and hold, or the ESC key mechanism,
          as follows. Launch the pToolPrefs application which will have appeared
          in your launcher after installing pToolSet. Check on the "buttons" and
          "taps" check boxes. Select the "Taps" button. Select the long box
          under "pick tap pattern:" and select "BOTTOM border of DisplayScreen".
          Select the box next to "LAST FOURTH" and select "current pMasterT".
          Select OK and OK. Now a screen tap in the right fourth of the screen
          bottom edge will launch pMasterTool as the extension. Another
          practical choice is the "LAST FOURTH" of the "RIGHT border of
          DisplayScreen". ?Similarly, using the "Buttons" button in pToolPrefs
          you can designate a press-and-hold of one of the hard buttons to
          activate pMasterTool. Or, to use the ESC key mechanism, launch
          pToolPrefs and check on the "use ESC key" box. Put an infrequently
          used lower case letter such as "z", or one of the opt button
          characters such as "+" in the highlighted space. When you press the
          letter key once, or press opt plus key simultaneously, pMasterTool
          will launch. To type the character press the letter key a second time,
          or press opt and character in sequence rather than simultaneously.

          You can have more than one method to display the pMasterTool list
          (henceforth "PMT") set up. You can also configure the PMT list in
          different orders, and can configure it to use lower-case key presses
          to activate the modules for Treo friendliness (see the manual or ask
          me or the pedit forum). If your interest is in using the pToolSet
          modules, the tutorial is done. Just open PMT and activate a module
          and experiment, read the manual(carefully, it is very
          information-dense), visit the forum. Explore the PMT dropdown menus
          obtained by tap/press on menu, or tap on the header bar, while the PMT
          list is open. If you want to do pScripting, read on.

          Usually if you are reading this far it is because I'm helping you
          with a specific pScripting project goal such as automating a sequence
          for use in some app such as DateBk. The following will take you up to
          the point where we will do the specific pScript you need.
          1) Open PMT. Select pScriptPad. This will open a memo-pad-like
          text field with the header scriptPad-#1. This pad, and only this one,
          is recognized by the pScripting engines of pToolSet to contain the
          code which constitutes pScripts.
          2) First we'll set it up so you can use pScriptButtons, and several
          other methods, to launch pScripts. 2 or 3 lines down from the top of
          pScriptPad write

          custBtnPageTotal=1

          Everything you write in pScriptPad must be exact, as it is computer
          code and taken literally. For example, there are no spaces in
          "custBtnPageTotal=1".

          2 or 3 lines below custBtnPageTotal=1 write

          custBtn.001.1
          pScript_01

          Now Voytek, put the {remove < >:: pScript here, so your pScript pad
          should now look like

          custBtnPageTotal=1

          custBtn.001.1
          pScript_01
          {remove < >::
          /&ifAbort@[$^==0]
          /&script$[@@rem< >2@@]}
          {rem< >2::
          /&specAct[8] <
          /xEpst I
          /xEpst S
          /xEpst W
          /xEpst f
          /xEpst d
          /0x1C
          /&script$[@@rem< >3@@]}
          {rem< >3::
          /!/$c/&varSet@[$4,$$]
          /&script$[@@rem< >4@@]}
          {rem< >4::
          /&specAct[8] >
          /xEpst f
          /xEpst d
          /0x1D
          /&script$[@@rem< >5@@]}
          {rem< >5::
          /!/$c
          /&varSet@[$5,$$]
          /&varAdd@[$5,-$4]
          /&varSubStr@[$B,$^,$4,$5]
          /&clipAdd i[$B]
          /&script$[@@rem< >6@@]}
          {rem< >6::
          /&specAct[8]
          /&script$[@@rem< >7@@]}
          {rem< >7::
          /ep
          /xEpst f
          /xEpst d
          /0x08
          /&mess[@@DONE@@,,150]}

          Tap OK to leave pScriptPad

          Open a text field that has a test text to try out the remove< > script
          on, something like

          xxxxxxxxx <abcdabcd > zzzzzzzz, with the cursor flashing anywhere in
          the field.

          Open the pMasterTool list as you learned to do above and select
          pScriptButtons (Buttons, not Pad).

          Tap the button that says "remove < >".

          Voila.
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
            Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

            > I've modified a tutorial I did a long time ago for your project. Read
            > and do the whole thing below and you'll be up and running.

            Voytek -

            Here's a short explanation for why you need to do the long item I
            sent you (not as long as it looks to do though).

            To run a pScript you need to have it in pScriptPad, properly, and
            you need to use one of several methods available to launch it. For
            starters the pToolSet module called pScriptButtons I think is best for
            launching. In order to use pScriptPad and pScriptButtons (and all the
            other pToolSet tools) you need to be able to open pMasterTool, which
            is a scrollable list of the modules from which you can launch them.
            So, you need to

            install pToolSet
            open pMasterTool to open pScriptPad
            put the pScript in the pScriptPad in a certain way to be able to use
            pScriptButtons
            make a test text to run the pScript on
            use pMasterTool to open pScriptButtons and run the "remove < >" pScript

            The tutorial explains how to do all this.