Re: [peditors] removing stuff between '<' and '>' ?

  • Voytek Eymont
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
      Many thanks

      I'll try later today and let you know.

      Learning Swype on Motrix
      But still have problems with editing quoted text
      Thanks again

      John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

      >Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:
      >>
      >> pToolSet
      >>
      >> the data is in a text field in 'Hours'
      >>
      >> thanks
      >>
      >> --
      >> Voytek
      >
      > OK Voytek, here it is. There are several ways of accomplishing
      >this, and this very long pScript chain is I think one of the easiest.
      >
      >It will work in any normal text field as long as you have pToolSet on,
      >
      >and you have the text cursor flashing anywhere in the field, i.e. it
      >is an active text field.
      > Less than half of the total chain does the removal of <blah blah>
      >as you requested. The rest of it is safeguards to prevent undesired
      >consequences. If you run it on some field or app that is not an
      >active text field it will do nothing. If you run it on a text field
      >that has "<", but no ">", or vice versa, or neither of them it will
      >also do nothing. It will only run when there is a < and a >. This is
      >
      >important since it eats up < and > and everything between, and if it
      >worked if only one or other were there it would eat the whole text
      >field.!
      > Since it is so long I suggest you copy and paste it into pScriptPad
      >rather than try to transcribe it by hand. Hope this is what you need,

> [...]
      Voytek

      ---
      Sent from my Motrix with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2011
        Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:

        > Many thanks
        >
        > I'll try later today and let you know.

        OK, you're welcome.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
          Voytek -

          Here is a shorter and much more elegant way to get the same result.
          I think it is better than the first one. It will only run in an
          active text field. It will run in a text field that does not have
          both < and > bracketing some text but will not do anything to the text
          at all. When <text> is present it will remove it.

          {remove < >::
          /&ifAbort@[$^==0]
          /&script$[@@rem< >2@@]}
          {rem< >2::
          /&specAct[8] <
          /xEpst I
          /xEpst S
          /xEpst W
          /xEpst f
          /xEpst d
          /0x1C
          /&script$[@@rem< >3@@]}
          {rem< >3::
          /!/$c/&varSet@[$4,$$]
          /&script$[@@rem< >4@@]}
          {rem< >4::
          /&specAct[8] >
          /xEpst f
          /xEpst d
          /0x1D
          /&script$[@@rem< >5@@]}
          {rem< >5::
          /!/$c
          /&varSet@[$5,$$]
          /&varAdd@[$5,-$4]
          /&varSubStr@[$B,$^,$4,$5]
          /&clipAdd i[$B]
          /&script$[@@rem< >6@@]}
          {rem< >6::
          /&specAct[8]
          /&script$[@@rem< >7@@]}
          {rem< >7::
          /ep
          /xEpst f
          /xEpst d
          /0x08
          /&mess[@@DONE@@,,150]}

          regards,
          ~ John
        • Voytek Eymont
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
            On Wed, June 29, 2011 11:11 pm, John Markley wrote:

            > Here is a shorter and much more elegant way to get the same result.
            > I think it is better than the first one. It will only run in an
            > active text field. It will run in a text field that does not have both <
            > and > bracketing some text but will not do anything to the text at all.
            > When <text> is present it will remove it.

            John,

            ahem, dumb operator's dumb error....

            I can't recall (or figure out...) where/how to put the script, save/name
            it, and invoke it...

            I'm going over the old notes you sent me last time, but haven't found it yet.

            --
            Voytek
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
              Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:
              > John,
              >
              > ahem, dumb operator's dumb error....
              >
              > I can't recall (or figure out...) where/how to put the script, save/name
              > it, and invoke it...
              >
              > I'm going over the old notes you sent me last time, but haven't found it yet.

              I've modified a tutorial I did a long time ago for your project. Read
              and do the whole thing below and you'll be up and running.

              **********

              pScripting tutorial:

              Since I am frequently helping others use pScripting for Palm OS,
              I've written this intro tutorial to avoid repetition of effort. I
              have no commercial connection whatever with the pToolSet and pedit
              family of apps, but rather am myself a long-time happy user of them
              (and a beta tester), grateful to their developer, Paul Nevai, for
              their power, utility, and high quality.

              pToolSet is a suite of 29 .prc's, a few of which will appear as
              apps in your launcher, but most of which run invisibly as background
              extensions until called upon. These have a multitude of utility
              functions such as full-featured text editing of any Palm text field,
              making entries into calendar, memo, and task DBs while still in other
              apps, and text searches, and much more. In addition pToolSet enables
              the use of macro scripts, called pScripts, which will automate nearly
              any sequence of actions normally performed manually with keystrokes,
              button presses, and stylus. Full use can be made of all the utility
              functions of pToolSet without ever using pScripts. pScripting can be
              used to automate and facilitate use of the Palm device without using
              any of the other pToolSet modules. pToolSet and the pScripting
              computer language were written by Paul Nevai, a professor of
              mathematics at Ohio State University.

              To evaluate pToolSet go to

              http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/

              and click in the left column on the pToolSet link under the pToolSet
              heading, and also download the html manual listed under ptoolSet
              documentation. To make full use of pScripting, also download the html
              manual under pedit documentation, and the pScriptRunner link under the
              pToolSet heading.

              There are 29 .prc's in the pToolSet folder. Install them all, as
              they are interactive and needed for full function. Do not install the
              contents of the 00pToolButtons subfolder. Once installed pToolSet
              should automatically be on and running, but to be sure, look in your
              launcher and tap/select the "pToolOn" app. The functions of all the
              pToolSet modules are fully described in the pToolSet manual. The
              reason for downloading the pedit manual is that it contains the full
              manual for the pScripting language, which was initially written by
              Paul Nevai for the pedit text editor apps, but which has been extended
              to operate via pToolSet globally, without the need to have one of the
              pedit test editor family e.g. peditPro.

              The master control, in essence a launcher, for pToolSet is
              pMasterTool. When launched it appears as a single column list of all
              the pToolSet modules and a number of actions. It can be launched in a
              variety of ways detailed in the manual, including screen taps, button
              press-and-holds, and key presses. However, to start, the easiest way
              is to open the command bar (stylus forward upward slash stroke) and
              tap the P-house icon which will be present if pToolSet is on. If you
              have a Treo the command bar can be displayed using a feature of Butler
              or 2LaunchMe. If you have a Treo but no way to display the command
              bar, proceed as in the next paragraph, taken from the manual.
              Otherwise skip to the paragraph after next.

              You can activate pMasterTool as an Operating System Extension,
              which is the launcher for pToolSet modules and special actions, using
              a screen tap, a hard button press and hold, or the ESC key mechanism,
              as follows. Launch the pToolPrefs application which will have appeared
              in your launcher after installing pToolSet. Check on the "buttons" and
              "taps" check boxes. Select the "Taps" button. Select the long box
              under "pick tap pattern:" and select "BOTTOM border of DisplayScreen".
              Select the box next to "LAST FOURTH" and select "current pMasterT".
              Select OK and OK. Now a screen tap in the right fourth of the screen
              bottom edge will launch pMasterTool as the extension. Another
              practical choice is the "LAST FOURTH" of the "RIGHT border of
              DisplayScreen". ?Similarly, using the "Buttons" button in pToolPrefs
              you can designate a press-and-hold of one of the hard buttons to
              activate pMasterTool. Or, to use the ESC key mechanism, launch
              pToolPrefs and check on the "use ESC key" box. Put an infrequently
              used lower case letter such as "z", or one of the opt button
              characters such as "+" in the highlighted space. When you press the
              letter key once, or press opt plus key simultaneously, pMasterTool
              will launch. To type the character press the letter key a second time,
              or press opt and character in sequence rather than simultaneously.

              You can have more than one method to display the pMasterTool list
              (henceforth "PMT") set up. You can also configure the PMT list in
              different orders, and can configure it to use lower-case key presses
              to activate the modules for Treo friendliness (see the manual or ask
              me or the pedit forum). If your interest is in using the pToolSet
              modules, the tutorial is done. Just open PMT and activate a module
              and experiment, read the manual(carefully, it is very
              information-dense), visit the forum. Explore the PMT dropdown menus
              obtained by tap/press on menu, or tap on the header bar, while the PMT
              list is open. If you want to do pScripting, read on.

              Usually if you are reading this far it is because I'm helping you
              with a specific pScripting project goal such as automating a sequence
              for use in some app such as DateBk. The following will take you up to
              the point where we will do the specific pScript you need.
              1) Open PMT. Select pScriptPad. This will open a memo-pad-like
              text field with the header scriptPad-#1. This pad, and only this one,
              is recognized by the pScripting engines of pToolSet to contain the
              code which constitutes pScripts.
              2) First we'll set it up so you can use pScriptButtons, and several
              other methods, to launch pScripts. 2 or 3 lines down from the top of
              pScriptPad write

              custBtnPageTotal=1

              Everything you write in pScriptPad must be exact, as it is computer
              code and taken literally. For example, there are no spaces in
              "custBtnPageTotal=1".

              2 or 3 lines below custBtnPageTotal=1 write

              custBtn.001.1
              pScript_01

              Now Voytek, put the {remove < >:: pScript here, so your pScript pad
              should now look like

              custBtnPageTotal=1

              custBtn.001.1
              pScript_01
              {remove < >::
              /&ifAbort@[$^==0]
              /&script$[@@rem< >2@@]}
              {rem< >2::
              /&specAct[8] <
              /xEpst I
              /xEpst S
              /xEpst W
              /xEpst f
              /xEpst d
              /0x1C
              /&script$[@@rem< >3@@]}
              {rem< >3::
              /!/$c/&varSet@[$4,$$]
              /&script$[@@rem< >4@@]}
              {rem< >4::
              /&specAct[8] >
              /xEpst f
              /xEpst d
              /0x1D
              /&script$[@@rem< >5@@]}
              {rem< >5::
              /!/$c
              /&varSet@[$5,$$]
              /&varAdd@[$5,-$4]
              /&varSubStr@[$B,$^,$4,$5]
              /&clipAdd i[$B]
              /&script$[@@rem< >6@@]}
              {rem< >6::
              /&specAct[8]
              /&script$[@@rem< >7@@]}
              {rem< >7::
              /ep
              /xEpst f
              /xEpst d
              /0x08
              /&mess[@@DONE@@,,150]}

              Tap OK to leave pScriptPad

              Open a text field that has a test text to try out the remove< > script
              on, something like

              xxxxxxxxx <abcdabcd > zzzzzzzz, with the cursor flashing anywhere in
              the field.

              Open the pMasterTool list as you learned to do above and select
              pScriptButtons (Buttons, not Pad).

              Tap the button that says "remove < >".

              Voila.
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2011
                Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

                > I've modified a tutorial I did a long time ago for your project. Read
                > and do the whole thing below and you'll be up and running.

                Voytek -

                Here's a short explanation for why you need to do the long item I
                sent you (not as long as it looks to do though).

                To run a pScript you need to have it in pScriptPad, properly, and
                you need to use one of several methods available to launch it. For
                starters the pToolSet module called pScriptButtons I think is best for
                launching. In order to use pScriptPad and pScriptButtons (and all the
                other pToolSet tools) you need to be able to open pMasterTool, which
                is a scrollable list of the modules from which you can launch them.
                So, you need to

                install pToolSet
                open pMasterTool to open pScriptPad
                put the pScript in the pScriptPad in a certain way to be able to use
                pScriptButtons
                make a test text to run the pScript on
                use pMasterTool to open pScriptButtons and run the "remove < >" pScript

                The tutorial explains how to do all this.