pedit/pToolSet

    Message 1 of 9 , May 24 3:55 AM
      Dear Friends:

      Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms. I
      don't plan to do so.

      I am still a Palm OS guy with 2 Centros and I am quite satisfied with them.

      My Treo 755p is now retired although I still use it as a GPS (TomTom
      Navigator 5). My other dozen or so Palms/keyboards/modems/styluses/etc. are
      fully retired.

      Let me make a confession; just between you and me, please don't publicize it:
      for some time now I gave complimentary registrations to all who requested it.

      I plan one final compilation and release sometime in the near future. There
      are no known current bugs and there will be no new features.

      BTW, pTextTool is my most used tool now.

      From 3rd party software, I still use TealDoc, Plucker, JFile, FileMan,
      BackupMan, and a number of utils by hobbyistsoftware.com + MakeDocJ on my
      Mac. The latter is by our peditor Jeffrey Krzysztow. As far as I know all
      these were actually created and programmed by their developers themselves.
      Except for the Plucker man (or maybe people), I know all of them well. I am
      grateful to them for their superb work.

      BTW, you can get e-books from www.gutenberg.org directly in plucker format.

      All=my=best, Paul
    • Franciso José Mancho
      Message 2 of 9 , May 24 6:56 AM
        Thanks for sharing, Paul. It has being nice to enjoy your apps these years.
        My T3 died in Dec last year and I am now considering moving to Android.

        Un afectuoso saludo,

        Jose

        On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>wrote:

        > Dear Friends:
        >
        > Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms. I
        > don't plan to do so.
        >
        > I am still a Palm OS guy with 2 Centros and I am quite satisfied with them.
        >
        > My Treo 755p is now retired although I still use it as a GPS (TomTom
        > Navigator 5). My other dozen or so Palms/keyboards/modems/styluses/etc. are
        > fully retired.
        >
        > Let me make a confession; just between you and me, please don't publicize
        > it:
        > for some time now I gave complimentary registrations to all who requested
        > it.
        >
        > I plan one final compilation and release sometime in the near future. There
        > are no known current bugs and there will be no new features.
        >
        > BTW, pTextTool is my most used tool now.
        >
        > From 3rd party software, I still use TealDoc, Plucker, JFile, FileMan,
        > BackupMan, and a number of utils by hobbyistsoftware.com + MakeDocJ on my
        > Mac. The latter is by our peditor Jeffrey Krzysztow. As far as I know all
        > these were actually created and programmed by their developers themselves.
        > Except for the Plucker man (or maybe people), I know all of them well. I am
        > grateful to them for their superb work.
        >
        > BTW, you can get e-books from www.gutenberg.org directly in plucker
        > format.
        >
        > All=my=best, Paul

      • Norbert Preining
        Message 3 of 9 , May 24 7:01 AM
          Dear Paul,

          long time I didn't show up here althoug I was following the emails
          at least.

          On Mo, 24 Mai 2010, Paul Nevai wrote:
          > My Treo 755p is now retired although I still use it as a GPS (TomTom
          > Navigator 5). My other dozen or so Palms/keyboards/modems/styluses/etc. are
          > fully retired.

          I think it is our job to thanks you for your great programs which I heavily
          used during many years heavily. Unfortunately PalmOS is a lost game now,
          and I have moved on after my T|X is at the end (end learning Japanese is
          much easier with other hardware ;-).

          So thanks for all the time you spent developing this great program, now you
          can probably spend more time running, enjoy it.

          All the best

          Norbert
          Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
          JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
          DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
          ABINGER (n.)
          One who washes up everything except the frying pan, the cheese grater
          and the saucepan which the chocolate sauce has been made in.
          --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
        • Richard L. Davisson

            Message 5 of 9 , May 24 9:01 AM
              On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:
              > Dear Friends:
              >
              > Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms.  I
              > don't plan to do so.

              Out of curiosity, how difficult would a port be? My suspicion is that
              pedit might be the better target for any such effort, as it's a
              general purpose editor. A lot of ptoolset is tied to PalmOS specific
              functions which may not have equivalents in other OSes.

              You *could* make it open source at some point... :-)

              > I am still a Palm OS guy with 2 Centros and I am quite satisfied with them.

              I still use my Tapwave Zodiac 2 on a regular basis. It's a pure PDA,
              not a smartphone, but I don't *want* a smartphone. I prefer my PDA
              and my phone to be separate instruments.

              > My Treo 755p is now retired although I still use it as a GPS (TomTom
              > Navigator 5). My other dozen or so Palms/keyboards/modems/styluses/etc. are
              > fully retired.
              >
              > Let me make a confession; just between you and me, please don't publicize it:
              > for some time now I gave complimentary registrations to all who requested it.
              >
              > I plan one final compilation and release sometime in the near future.  There
              > are no known current bugs and there will be no new features.

              > BTW, pTextTool is my most used tool now.

              What new features *could* be added? It sounds like pretty much
              everything desirable has already been requested/implemented.

              > From 3rd party software, I still use TealDoc, Plucker, JFile, FileMan,
              > BackupMan, and a number of utils by hobbyistsoftware.com + MakeDocJ on my
              > Mac.  The latter is by our peditor Jeffrey Krzysztow. As far as I know all
              > these were actually created and programmed by their developers themselves.
              > Except for the Plucker man (or maybe people), I know all of them well. I am
              > grateful to them for their superb work.

              In the case of Plucker, it's "people". David Derossiers is the main
              dev, but an assortment of other folks like Michael Nordstrom and Alex
              Pruss have contributed. (A chap recently popped up on the Plucker dev
              list considering an Android port.)

              Plucker still gets daily use on my device. About half of its purpose
              in life is to be an ebook viewer, and there are about 4,500 volumes
              occupying about 1.9GB on a 2GB SD card. I have viewers for eReader.
              Mobipocket, PDF and other formats, but by preference, I get HTML and
              convert to Plucker. Among other things, Plucker can read files
              created with gzip compatible compression (using a Palm shared library
              port of Zlib included with the viewer. (The default is Palm DOC
              compatible compression.) Using the high compression option produces
              volumes reduced about 70% in size, compared to the 40% reduction
              offered by the RLE compression DOC files use (and is the only reason I
              haven't upgraded to bigger SD cards.)

              > BTW, you can get e-books from www.gutenberg.org directly in plucker format.

              I get the HTML and roll my own, since I've been doing this since
              before PG offered the option.

              You can also get books in Plucker format from Munseys (formerly
              Blackmask) at http://www.munseys.com, and ManyBooks, at
              http://manybooks.net. Both offer an number of different ebook
              formats, with Plucker among them. Titles sourced from PG are the
              mainstay, but each offers other things. Munsey's proprietor is a fan
              of pulp fiction, and has been scanning and converting stuff from the
              '50's, like the works of Ed Lacy, a "hard boiled" novelist with an
              assortment of works set in the world of boxing. ManyBooks' proprietor
              has a lot of stuff licensed under Creative Commons, and pushes his
              site as a distribution point for folks doing CC licensed work that
              want to reach a wider audience.

              I get the HTML from them and roll my own as well. The problem with
              Plucker is the variety of options when you create the Plucker files:
              Color or B/W, low, high, or no compression, images or not... And
              since websites do scripted conversions, it's hard to have a one size
              fits all solution. (I want high compression, color, and full size
              images linked to a thumbnail.) ManyBooks and Munseys generally
              haven't included images in Plucker files, as they were struggling with
              a good way to script the inclusion.

              The Plucker desktop software that does the conversions is written in
              Python and cross-platform, available for Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux.

              > All=my=best, Paul
              _____
              Dennis
            • lufades
              Message 6 of 9 , May 24 6:05 PM
                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@...> wrote:

                > Dear Friends:
                >
                > Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms. I
                > don't plan to do so.
                >
                > I am still a Palm OS guy with 2 Centros and I am quite satisfied with them.
                >
                > My Treo 755p is now retired although I still use it as a GPS (TomTom
                > Navigator 5). My other dozen or so Palms/keyboards/modems/styluses/etc. are
                > fully retired.
                >
                > Let me make a confession; just between you and me, please don't publicize it:
                > for some time now I gave complimentary registrations to all who requested it.
                >
                > I plan one final compilation and release sometime in the near future. There
                > are no known current bugs and there will be no new features.
                >
                > BTW, pTextTool is my most used tool now.
                >
                > From 3rd party software, I still use TealDoc, Plucker, JFile, FileMan,
                > BackupMan, and a number of utils by hobbyistsoftware.com + MakeDocJ on my
                > Mac. The latter is by our peditor Jeffrey Krzysztow. As far as I know all
                > these were actually created and programmed by their developers themselves.
                > Except for the Plucker man (or maybe people), I know all of them well. I am
                > grateful to them for their superb work.
                >
                > BTW, you can get e-books from www.gutenberg.org directly in plucker format.
                >
                > All=my=best, Paul

                Salut Paul,

                Thank you for the long answer.

                Luc
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25 3:55 PM
                  Quoting Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>:
                  > Dear Friends:
                  >
                  > Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms. I
                  > don't plan to do so.

                  If StyleTap ever makes a version for Android there may be some hope
                  for Pedit there.

                  > I am still a Palm OS guy with 2 Centros and I am quite satisfied with them.

                  Me too, except I'm continuing on with the 755P.

                  > I plan one final compilation and release sometime in the near future. There
                  > are no known current bugs and there will be no new features.

                  Don't need any (new features nor bugs).

                  > BTW, pTextTool is my most used tool now.

                  Mine is all the pScripts I use to automate all the other stuff.

                  > All=my=best, Paul

                  and all my best with enormous thanks. Although this will be the last
                  compilation, I suspect and hope that the forum will continue on for a
                  good while.

                  ~ John
                • John Harms
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 25 5:22 PM
                    In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@...> wrote:
                    > Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms. I
                    > don't plan to do so.
                    > I plan one final compilation and release sometime in the near future.
                    > There are no known current bugs and there will be no new features.

                    Hi, Paul! I have been silent in this forum for a long time, primarily because pedit and pTools have met my needs for years now. Of course, I was very active in the peditors group during the early days of pedit automation. Thanks for listing to our many suggestions and soliciting our feedback -- then crafting the software accordingly.

                    I have used pedit, LapTopHack, pTools, and superFinderHack on a daily/hourly basis for the last 3556 days (since August 29, 2000). Thanks to the power and flexibility of your tools Paul, I have created many dozens of scripts and key defs that work so well with my Clie T665 (PalmOS 4), I have no desire to leave that platform.

                    Well done; thanks! :-)

                    -- JohnH
                  • kunkel321
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2011
                      > > Some of you asked me if pedit/pToolSet will move to other platforms. I
                      > > don't plan to do so.
                      >
                      > If StyleTap ever makes a version for Android there may be some hope

                      Hi folks, I hope all is well. I haven't been on this forum for a while. (Since pToolSet started going in the direction of Smartphones--I still use my old T5.) Anyhow, after six or seven years it's finally wearing out. I hate to do it, but I will probably stop using Palm. Seems like the whole community is heading towards Android. FWIW, I do hope there will be a pToolSet for Android someday... "aToolSet?" ;)

                      Welp, take care all! -steve