ot: actioning a script on a remote machine

  • Voytek Eymont
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
      I'm putting together a wget script to fetch some info I need from time to
      time,

      any thoughts how I can action the script from the Palm, so I can get the
      result via email ?

      (which I then process with the super de-bumpffing scripts from John)

      --
      Voytek
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
        Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:

        > I'm putting together a wget script to fetch some info I need from time to
        > time,
        >
        > any thoughts how I can action the script from the Palm, so I can get the
        > result via email ?
        >
        > (which I then process with the super de-bumpffing scripts from John)

        Hi, Voytek -

        I suspect you need advice from other of our colleagues here rather
        than me, as I have zero experience with wget. However, are you
        running wget on the Palm, or doing remote access of a pc that runs the
        wget, or what?

        ~ John
      • Voytek Eymont
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
          <quote who="John Markley">

          > I suspect you need advice from other of our colleagues here rather
          > than me, as I have zero experience with wget. However, are you running
          > wget on the Palm, or doing remote access of a pc that runs the wget, or
          > what?

          John,

          I'm running wget on a remote PC
          (I'd love to get wget for the Palm, if there was such....)

          I;ve got to the point where I end up with a text file on the PC, if I'm
          near a PC, I can action to email it across to the Palm.

          but, if I'm 'somewhere' I'd like to connect Palm over 3G or GPRS, and
          cause it to execute the script, does that makes sense ?

          --
          Voytek
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
            Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:

            > I'm running wget on a remote PC
            > (I'd love to get wget for the Palm, if there was such....)
            >
            > I;ve got to the point where I end up with a text file on the PC, if I'm
            > near a PC, I can action to email it across to the Palm.
            >
            > but, if I'm 'somewhere' I'd like to connect Palm over 3G or GPRS, and
            > cause it to execute the script, does that makes sense ?
            >
            > Voytek

            Yep, makes sense. You need Paul or one of the IT gurus hereabouts for
            this one. I'm pretty sure there are remote client programs you can do
            this with, but have no experience at all.
            ~ John
          • Voytek Eymont
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2010
              <quote who="John Markley">
              > Quoting Voytek Eymont <voytek@...>:

              > Yep, makes sense. You need Paul or one of the IT gurus hereabouts for
              > this one. I'm pretty sure there are remote client programs you can do this
              > with, but have no experience at all. ~ John

              I just d/l 'lget' from http://lthaler.free.fr/dotclear/index.php/Download
              but, it fails on TX (seems OK on T3 (T3: doesn't everything...))

              but, just thinking.... maybe I should run script every so often, diff
              result, email if new, that might be a simpler way out

              I wonder if I could make it into vcal or ical or whatever is the diary
              format thingo...

              anyhow, something to fiddle with, beats watching tv

              --
              Voytek
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
                Hi Voytek:

                > I'm running wget on a remote PC
                > (I'd love to get wget for the Palm, if there was such....)
                >
                > I;ve got to the point where I end up with a text file on the PC, if I'm
                > near a PC, I can action to email it across to the Palm.
                >
                > but, if I'm 'somewhere' I'd like to connect Palm over 3G or GPRS, and
                > cause it to execute the script, does that makes sense ?

                If you are an expert on linux and shell programming, then this is very much
                doable. Install linux on your PC, run procmail, and create a script
                that reacts, say, to subject lines of e-mails, e.g.

                Subject: password "linux command"

                Then e-mail this to your linux system from your palm.

                The linux command could be also a shell script.

                All=my=best, Paul
              • Voytek Eymont
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11, 2010
                  <quote who="Paul Nevai">

                  >> but, if I'm 'somewhere' I'd like to connect Palm over 3G or GPRS, and
                  >> cause it to execute the script, does that makes sense ?

                  > If you are an expert on linux and shell programming, then this is very
                  > much doable. Install linux on your PC, run procmail, and create a script
                  > that reacts, say, to subject lines of e-mails, e.g.

                  > Subject: password "linux command"
                  > Then e-mail this to your linux system from your palm.
                  > The linux command could be also a shell script.

                  thanks, Paul

                  that's xactly what I was aiming at, years ago, I recall a fellow in
                  Budapest published some cmds/setup to do precisely that, execute arbitrary
                  stuff and get output as email

                  I need to look up the procmail, my email is in a 'virtual user', not a
                  'linux user', and, AFAIK, procmail looks at /home/usernamesomething,
                  whereas, mine is in /var/mail/vhost/vnamesomething

                  I think I'll try with +subaddressing for the email name

                  might even try to create a 'vcal' file for date/time, then, once on the
                  Palm, I can use my (ok, John's) pscripts to massage the data

                  --
                  Voytek