Re: [peditors] LapTopHack vs. pToolSet

  • Patrick Clark
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
      Excellent question, Dennis!

      The thing that I have quickly realized about my PDA + keyboard combination
      with either the Belkin or the Palmoid drivers (but especially the Belkin) is
      that many basic actions still require input via screen. For example, I can
      activate the pull-down menu via the keyboard, but I cannot select items from
      the menu by arrowing over or down. (Pressing any arrow button while a
      pull-down menu is active merely closes the menu and returns me to the main
      screen of the application in which I am working.) Similarly, I cannot use
      the arrow buttons to scroll through the list of applications in my launcher
      window. These seem to me to be basic actions that ought to work with a
      keyboard.

      The line that caught my attention in the review of LapTopHack that I cited
      in my earlier posting says, "You never have to touch the screen when using
      LapTopHack (and that's part of the reason you bought the keyboard in the
      first place, right?)."

      It is a greater degree of this complete functionality that I would hope to
      obtain with pToolSet (or at least one of the components within it), since
      LapTopHack is not available for OS 5.

      Hope this helps!

      Pat

      --
      Patrick Clark

      On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:01 AM, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

      > On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 7:57 PM, pjtclark1<pjtclark@...<pjtclark%40gmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Here's a little background: I just obtained a Belkin G700 keyboard for
      > > my Sony Clie TJ35 and quickly discovered that the driver from Belkin was
      > > less than stellar. That led me to this <http://g700.palmoid.com/#3>
      > > replacement driver, which is clearly an improvement on the Belkin
      > > driver, but still far from ideal. Further research led me to a page
      > > <http://www.jcarroll.net/palm-615.asp> that raved about LapTopHack.
      > >
      > > Of course, I quickly came to find out that LapTopHack is not Palm OS 5
      > > compatible. When I posed a question about this to Paul, he directed me
      > > to this forum. I have seen several messages here that instruct people
      > > using OS 5 PDAs to use pToolSet instead of LapTopHack.
      >
      > > Anyway, could those of you with familiarity with pToolSet comment on any
      > > advantages that it might confer on the use of an external keyboard?
      >
      > That's a rather broad question. What are you trying to do? What
      > requirements do you have that *aren't* met by the stock Belkin driver
      > or Igor Nesterov's replacement?
      >
      > I use an OS5 device (a Tapwave Zodiac 2) with an external keyboard (a
      > Palm branded folding keyboard based on the Think Outside design.) The
      > Palm driver isn't stellar, but is adequate. (I got it mostly for use
      > in WordSmith, and there are a few keys that are documented in
      > Wordsmith but just don't seem to work, which I think is a driver
      > issue. It seems to work quite well in pEdit.)
      >
      > Tell us a bit more about what you need to accomplish, and we can
      > pro0bably provide better advice.
      >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Pat
      > ______
      > Dennis

    • fjmancho
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2009
        Hi Patrick,

        I have been using pToolSet for a long time now. I can only say that it is
        an excellent complement for the keyboard (and Igor's replacement friendly.
        I useD to enjoy it with my old PPK keyboard. -It is a pity that Igor didn't
        write a version for the Wireless PDA Keyboard F8U1500)

        Specifically for your needs check in the manual
        pRotatorTool and pPointerTool.

        Don't hesitate, download and experiment with a non-registered pToolSet. You
        will get a full idea of what pToolSet can do.

        Jose

        >The line that caught my attention in the review of LapTopHack that I cited
        >in my earlier posting says, "You never have to touch the screen when using
        >LapTopHack (and that's part of the reason you bought the keyboard in the
        >first place, right?)."
        >
        >It is a greater degree of this complete functionality that I would hope to
        >obtain with pToolSet (or at least one of the components within it), since
        >LapTopHack is not available for OS 5.
        >
        >Hope this helps!

        F. Jose Mancho
        mobil number +254726 939095
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2009
          Hi Pat:

          On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 09:37:47AM -0700, Patrick Clark wrote:
          > It is a greater degree of this complete functionality that I would hope to
          > obtain with pToolSet (or at least one of the components within it), since
          > LapTopHack is not available for OS 5.

          Ask me privately for a freebie test ride of pToolSet. If you like it, you can
          formally register it later. /Paul