laptophack on os5

  • isrgish@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
      I'm a littel mixed up over here. can the lapTopHack be used on the centro which uses Os5?

      Thanks
      Isr
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
        Quoting "isrgish@..." <isrgish@...>:

        > I'm a littel mixed up over here. can the lapTopHack be used on the
        > centro which uses Os5?

        Nope. LapTopHack won't work on OS5. You need pToolSet instead.

        Go to http://home.roadrunner.com/~nevai/palm/

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
          On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM, isrgish@... <isrgish@...> wrote:

          > I'm a littel mixed up over here. can the lapTopHack be used on the centro which uses Os5?

          No. Hacks worked by patching into Palm OS and replacing standard Palm
          OS routines with their own. OS5 removed the facility that allowed
          hacks to run, so almost *no* hacks will work. It substitutes
          "notification" apps, which can respond to messages sent by the OS5
          notfication manager.

          Tealpoint Software has a utility that allows some hacks to run on OS5
          by converting the system calls the hack tries to make to OS5
          "notifications", but many hacks do things for which corresponding
          notifications don't exist. Tealpoint has a table on their site of
          hacks that can run under their utility, but LapTopHack isn't one of
          them.

          A Russian programmer named Igor Nesterov discovered it was possible to
          write OS5 hacks in native ARM code, and run them via an undocumented
          interface, and there's an OS5 version of his Yet Another Hack Manager
          program, with a few hacks available. See http://yahm.palmoid.com
          I use an OS5 version of Fonthack under YAHM, but there's not a lot out there.

          You probably want to look ar pToolset instead.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
            On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 10:46:20PM -0000, isrgish@... wrote:
            > I'm a littel mixed up over here. can the lapTopHack be used on the centro which uses Os5?

            Nope. Use pToolSet. If you registered LapTopHack recently, ask me privately
            on Sunday or later for a freebie upgrade to pToolSet. /Paul