Unlocked GSM 680 in USA - was Re: [peditors] unlocked Palm Centro - off topic

  • Jon Hind
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2009
      Hello,

      I'm off on holiday lin late june to Texas. I'm wondering if I Can reverse
      pauls question and get a cheap US SIM for use whilst we are holidaying. This
      will be a one off holiday.

      Jon Hind

      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2009
        Hi Jon:

        > I'm off on holiday lin late june to Texas. I'm wondering if I Can reverse
        > pauls question and get a cheap US SIM for use whilst we are holidaying. This
        > will be a one off holiday.

        I have no idea. (Regular) people don't have SIM cards here. Most people
        never even heard of the concept. Check out

        www.telestial.com

        They may have a USA vacation card or something.

        BUT BUT BUT you could get a prepaid disposable phone here with appr. 10 cents
        a minute. Any drugstore (CVS/Walgreen/etc) or Target/K-Mart/Walmart/etc would
        have it.

        Most likely your European SIM card will work here with ATT/T-Mobile/Vodafone
        but the roaming fees are high.

        Also, phone cards are very cheap although there are very few public phones
        these days.

        BUT BUT BUT, most likely you will have free internet in your hotel (this is
        not Europe!) and then you can use those gazillion cheap phone services.

        I recommend www.mobivox.com. You need internet to set it up but then you can
        use it as a regular phone system. Appr. 2 US cents a minute anywhere in the
        world. So set it up at home.

        Good luck, Paul
      • Jon Hind
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2009
          Thankyou Paul, that is just the ticket. I never thought of a cheap pay as
          you go phone.

          How interesting - I assumed SIM only was a univeral thing,

          And MobiVox looks wonderful.

          Thanks again.

          Going Italy in a couple of weeks time and it could be good for there as
          well. Bonus !

          Jon Hind

          Message 4 of 4 , May 17, 2009
            Hi Jon:

            On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 09:24:57AM +0100, Jon Hind wrote:
            > And MobiVox looks wonderful.

            BUT BUT BUT, don't call from your hotel room. It's outrageously expensive.
            Call from a public phone in the hotel lobby. Find a local mobivox number.
            Most US cities have one.

            Also, US hotel phones have no direct line. They go through operators so
            callback doesn't work there.

            BUT BUT BUT, strangely, most public phones have a direct nuber so callback
            would work at them.

            Good luck, Paul

            P.S. With e-mail, the need for phone calls is reduced.