Re: [peditors] ADMINISTRATIVE: Yahoo Groups privacy issue

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...> wrote:
      > Creepy... Thanks for the heads-up on that. I expect you still get bombarded
      > with advertisements though, you're just opting out of the spying part....

      No more than you would be otherwise. The "spying part" is attempting
      to discern your habits and interests to show you *relevant* ads you
      are more likely to click through.

      Ads are a non-issue here. I run Firefox 3.0.5. Firefox permits the
      installation of Extensions that can customize the way the browser
      works. Two that are part of my standard config are NoScript and
      Stylish.

      NoScript is what the name implies: it blocks all scripting activity on
      web sites unless you add the site to a whitelist. It defaults to
      blocking JavaScript, but can also block Java, Flash, and Silverlight
      (Microsoft's new competitor to Flash.). Things like pop-up ads are
      produced through JavaScript, and Firefox blocks popups by disabling by
      default the ability to open an unrequested window in JavaScript.

      Stylish is an extension that allows you to run arbitrary CSS (called
      "userstyles") on specified web pages. I use a userstyle called Ad
      Blocking Filterset P. Filterset P is a component of the AdBlock Plus
      extension for Firefox. It's a lengthy set of CSS rules that define
      sites that are sources of advertising. Content pulled from those
      sites in pages you view is presumed to be advertising, and the browser
      simply doesn't render it.

      The AdBlock Plus extension is more elaborate, and actively scans pages
      looking for stuff you might want blocked. I don't bother. I don't
      mind some ads, especially if relevant to my interests. I just don't
      want them obtrusive enough to interfere with reading the content of
      the site. Filterset P does a good job of cleaning things up.

      > -sk
    • john.messeder
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        I remember a year or so ago, maybe longer, there was a similar thing
        pointed out in Goodle's toolbar - buried somewhere deep in its usage
        stuff was an option to opt out of being followed wherever you went.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          I recall that, too. The option referred to is probably the one related
          to anonymous usage statistics, and that one is up front, not buried.
          I don't use Google's toolbar, but I'm also not that concerned about
          being followed where I go. If I *am* going someplace I'd prefer not
          to be traced to, I know how to block the trace