Re: [peditors] Screenplay formatter?

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
      Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

      > With regard to length of the text and the 32K limit, read the
      > section "Segmented Memos" in the pedit manual.

      Also see "SkyIsLimit on|off" in the edit view/edit+ section of the manual.

      > With regard to putting predetermined text strings into a memo:

      Also see the "Auto Indent" section in the edit view/edit+ section
      of the manual.

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
        On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:41 AM, daleblizz <daleblizz@...> wrote:
        > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
        >
        >> How big is the average screenplay?
        >
        > Doing a quick check on 110 page screenplays in .txt -- they're about
        > 175k. But you wouldn't necessarily need the whole thing in your Palm
        > or in one file. 32k is enough for around twenty pages, which is more
        > than enough for one writing session.

        Okay, I thought that might be the case, though you would still face
        the issues o merging that session with the full screenplay on the
        desktop/laptop.

        >> I use and love WordSmith, and I'm tickled that screenwriters use it,
        >> but I'm not sure I'd want to try crafting a screenplay on a Palm OS
        >> PDA.
        >
        > I got one screenwriter hooked on it. He works several jobs, set
        > designer, cameraman and screenplay writer. Sometimes he has idle time
        > and wanted to know if there was something smaller than a laptop that
        > he could write on when he had a few minutes. I had an extra Palm III
        > a Palm keyboard and Office Depot sold out some packs of Handmark
        > Wordsmith cheap. He keeps it in coat pocket and writes whenever he
        > has time.

        I got Wordsmith way back for my original Handspring Visor Deluxe, and
        have continued to use it. It hasn't been updated in years, but it's
        still the best program I've on Palm OS for *creating* text that isn't
        a Memopad document. Extant "office" solutions like Documents to Go
        implicitly assume you are creating the file on a desktop/laptop, and
        will view and edit on the handheld. With my PDA and a Palm folding
        keyboard, I can often live without a laptop. To make life more
        convenient, I use a trick. I put a copy of the DOS command line
        converter for Wordsmith documents on the SD card in the WordSmith
        directory. When I have a file I'll want to work on on the PDA, I Save
        As in RTF format to the card with a USB card reader, then run the
        converter from the card to convert the file to the format WS uses. I
        reverse the process going the other way, so I don't need to have
        WordSmith installed on the PC I'm using.

        > He's written over ten screenplays on it and he's got other
        > screenwriters in LA doing the same thing.

        Cool. I know a few novelists who use WordSmith for the same reasons.

        > There's a company "ScriptRight" http://www.scriptright.com/ that sells
        > a formatter for Pocket PCs and claims that they'll have a version for
        > Palm soon. (The problem is they've been saying that for around three
        > years now.)

        Unless they get inspired by Palm's new "Nova" OS, supposedly debuting
        at CES, I wouldn't hold my breath. Too many folks see the market
        going elsewhere. The new owner of Launcher X (the best alternative
        launcher I have seen for Palm OS product) just popped up on a Launcher
        X support board talking about a windows Mobile version and looking for
        beta testers. He just doesn't see the revenue in developing for Palm
        OS these days.

        > So there is a market -- probably not very big one, but screenplay
        > formatters aren't a huge market even for desktops and laptops.

        And are consequently fairly expensive.

        >> What sort of problems are encountered dumping a WordSmith file into a
        >> screenplay formatter?
        >
        > If you're careful you can avoid most problems. For example if you
        > capitalize in the all right places the the screenplay formatter will
        > recognize most of what's supposed to be a scene heading or a character
        > name or an action paragraph.
        >
        > The problem is sometimes you get in a hurry to get something down and
        > you don't get all the picky stuff right. Then you need to go back and
        > correct it, before you paste it into the screenplay formatter or
        > correct it after the formatter gets it.

        I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
        before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
        might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.

        > It's doable. It would just be nice to have a formatter that worked in
        > the Palm.

        Yes, it would.

        > Thanks for your response.

        You're welcome.
      • daleblizz
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:41 AM, daleblizz <daleblizz@...> wrote:
          > > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@> wrote:
          > >
          > >> How big is the average screenplay?
          > >
          > > Doing a quick check on 110 page screenplays in .txt -- they're about
          > > 175k. But you wouldn't necessarily need the whole thing in your Palm
          > > or in one file. 32k is enough for around twenty pages, which is more
          > > than enough for one writing session.
          >
          > Okay, I thought that might be the case, though you would still face
          > the issues o merging that session with the full screenplay on the
          > desktop/laptop.

          Fortunately that part is easy with Movie Magic Screenwriter. As long
          as it recognizes the formatting you can paste additional pages at the
          end (or anywhere in the screenplay) and it's happy.

          > >> I use and love WordSmith, and I'm tickled that screenwriters use it,
          > >> but I'm not sure I'd want to try crafting a screenplay on a Palm OS
          > >> PDA.
          > >
          > > I got one screenwriter hooked on it. He works several jobs, set
          > > designer, cameraman and screenplay writer. Sometimes he has idle time
          > > and wanted to know if there was something smaller than a laptop that
          > > he could write on when he had a few minutes. I had an extra Palm III
          > > a Palm keyboard and Office Depot sold out some packs of Handmark
          > > Wordsmith cheap. He keeps it in coat pocket and writes whenever he
          > > has time.
          >
          > I got Wordsmith way back for my original Handspring Visor Deluxe, and
          > have continued to use it. It hasn't been updated in years, but it's
          > still the best program I've on Palm OS for *creating* text that isn't
          > a Memopad document. Extant "office" solutions like Documents to Go
          > implicitly assume you are creating the file on a desktop/laptop, and
          > will view and edit on the handheld. With my PDA and a Palm folding
          > keyboard, I can often live without a laptop. To make life more
          > convenient, I use a trick. I put a copy of the DOS command line
          > converter for Wordsmith documents on the SD card in the WordSmith
          > directory. When I have a file I'll want to work on on the PDA, I Save
          > As in RTF format to the card with a USB card reader, then run the
          > converter from the card to convert the file to the format WS uses. I
          > reverse the process going the other way, so I don't need to have
          > WordSmith installed on the PC I'm using.

          Thanks, I'll try that. And let my brother know. He does most of his
          writing on his "IBM" Workpad C500 (black Palm M500 with a different logo).

          > > He's written over ten screenplays on it and he's got other
          > > screenwriters in LA doing the same thing.
          >
          > Cool. I know a few novelists who use WordSmith for the same reasons.
          >
          > > There's a company "ScriptRight" http://www.scriptright.com/ that sells
          > > a formatter for Pocket PCs and claims that they'll have a version for
          > > Palm soon. (The problem is they've been saying that for around three
          > > years now.)
          >
          > Unless they get inspired by Palm's new "Nova" OS, supposedly debuting
          > at CES, I wouldn't hold my breath. Too many folks see the market
          > going elsewhere. The new owner of Launcher X (the best alternative
          > launcher I have seen for Palm OS product) just popped up on a Launcher
          > X support board talking about a windows Mobile version and looking for
          > beta testers. He just doesn't see the revenue in developing for Palm
          > OS these days.
          >
          > > So there is a market -- probably not very big one, but screenplay
          > > formatters aren't a huge market even for desktops and laptops.
          >
          > And are consequently fairly expensive.

          Unless you know where to look. One of the two biggest formatters
          (Movie Magic Screenwriter) sells for around $200, which IS expensive
          for a glorified word processor. But they also sell a cut-down version
          that does the exact same job of formatting (with a different file
          extension name) and doesn't have the production features (which a
          screenplay writer working on a spec script doesn't need anyway).

          The cut down version sells for $35 to $40 and changing the extension
          at the end of file makes them completely compatible with the expensive
          version.

          But you're right -- low sales volume equals higher cost, if it's being
          done for a profit. There's no way to get around that.

          > >> What sort of problems are encountered dumping a WordSmith file into a
          > >> screenplay formatter?
          > >
          > > If you're careful you can avoid most problems. For example if you
          > > capitalize in the all right places the the screenplay formatter will
          > > recognize most of what's supposed to be a scene heading or a character
          > > name or an action paragraph.
          > >
          > > The problem is sometimes you get in a hurry to get something down and
          > > you don't get all the picky stuff right. Then you need to go back and
          > > correct it, before you paste it into the screenplay formatter or
          > > correct it after the formatter gets it.
          >
          > I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
          > before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
          > might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.

          I'll take a look into that too. Thanks.

          ---
          Dale
        • daleblizz
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, fjmancho <fjmancho@...> wrote:

            > Hi daleblizz,

            Thanks Jose. You guys are going to keep me busy. I was able to find
            the website and download it.
          • daleblizz
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

              > Hi to all -
              >
              > I'm still a little sleepy this morning, but, having read through
              > this thread, here are a couple of thoughts..
              >
              > I can't think of any combination of pedit and pScripting that would
              > result in a fully interactive system such as you describe, but I think
              > it's possible to come close, along the lines that Jose noted.
              >
              > With regard to length of the text and the 32K limit, read the
              > section "Segmented Memos" in the pedit manual.
              >
              > With regard to putting predetermined text strings into a memo:
              > 1) read the magiPad section in the manual (right after segmented
              > memos), Qopy'n'Paste, etc.
              > 2) pScripts can be written which would position the cursor and
              > print specific text. In this regard, if you were to have pToolSet
              > installed as well as pedit you could use pToolButtons or pScriptTool
              > to present popup lists of pScripts. You would then use a hard button
              > press-and-hold ("hold'n'hold") to open the list and then select the
              > action you want.

              Thanks John. I've got to get working now. I hope you don't if I ask
              more questions as I go.

              ---
              Dale
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
                Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Hi to all -
                >>
                >> I'm still a little sleepy this morning, but, having read through
                >> this thread, here are a couple of thoughts..

                > Thanks John. I've got to get working now. I hope you don't if I ask
                > more questions as I go.
                >
                > ---
                > Dale

                OK. Happy to help. Ready when you are. If you decide you want to
                try pScripts, tell us in your next reply which device(s) you use and
                if you are using an external keyboard.

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 27, 2008
                  On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, daleblizz <daleblizz@...> wrote:
                  > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>wrote:

                  >> Okay, I thought that might be the case, though you would still face
                  >> the issues o merging that session with the full screenplay on the
                  >> desktop/laptop.
                  >
                  > Fortunately that part is easy with Movie Magic Screenwriter. As long
                  > as it recognizes the formatting you can paste additional pages at the
                  > end (or anywhere in the screenplay) and it's happy.

                  Oh, good.

                  >> To make life more
                  >> convenient, I use a trick. I put a copy of the DOS command line
                  >> converter for Wordsmith documents on the SD card in the WordSmith
                  >> directory. When I have a file I'll want to work on on the PDA, I Save
                  >> As in RTF format to the card with a USB card reader, then run the
                  >> converter from the card to convert the file to the format WS uses. I
                  >> reverse the process going the other way, so I don't need to have
                  >> WordSmith installed on the PC I'm using.
                  >
                  > Thanks, I'll try that. And let my brother know. He does most of his
                  > writing on his "IBM" Workpad C500 (black Palm M500 with a different logo).

                  It makes life easier, and I can create files I'll work on in WS on any PC.

                  >> > So there is a market -- probably not very big one, but screenplay
                  >> > formatters aren't a huge market even for desktops and laptops.
                  >>
                  >> And are consequently fairly expensive.
                  >
                  > Unless you know where to look. One of the two biggest formatters
                  > (Movie Magic Screenwriter) sells for around $200, which IS expensive
                  > for a glorified word processor. But they also sell a cut-down version
                  > that does the exact same job of formatting (with a different file
                  > extension name) and doesn't have the production features (which a
                  > screenplay writer working on a spec script doesn't need anyway).
                  >
                  > The cut down version sells for $35 to $40 and changing the extension
                  > at the end of file makes them completely compatible with the expensive
                  > version.

                  Sounds like the cut-down version is strictly a formatter without the
                  text creation/editing features. That would be fine by me. I come
                  from the Unix world, where the paradigm is one tool for each job, and
                  it's assumed the program you use to create your text and the one you
                  use to format it will be different.

                  > But you're right -- low sales volume equals higher cost, if it's being
                  > done for a profit. There's no way to get around that.

                  Sure, and I don't have a problem with it. Specialized tools are more
                  expensive, and must be. But if you're trying to make money
                  screenwriting, you need one badly enough to justify the cost. And
                  it's a deductible business expense, so...

                  >> > The problem is sometimes you get in a hurry to get something down and
                  >> > you don't get all the picky stuff right. Then you need to go back and
                  >> > correct it, before you paste it into the screenplay formatter or
                  >> > correct it after the formatter gets it.
                  >>
                  >> I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
                  >> before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
                  >> might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.
                  >
                  > I'll take a look into that too. Thanks.

                  Perl originated on Unix, and it's designed to manipulate text files in
                  arbitrary ways. It has extensive features for matching patterns and
                  performing edits on the patterns it matches. You could probably write
                  a full screenplay formatter in Perl.

                  > Dale
                  _____
                  Dennis
                • fjmancho
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                      Hello Jose, John,

                      I was working with Teikei on Friday night -- Saturday morning, and I was going to post a
                      progress report and ask some questions, but I had family visiting yesterday.

                      Thanks for your examples -- I've got a lot to learn, but it seems fairly easy to work with. I
                      have some pictures of what I've done so far: http://tinyurl.com/79u26a

                      I was able to "program" (if that's what you call it) Teikei to put in spaces and character
                      returns, and it's already useful, but I would like to make it work better. The short script I
                      wrote in the Palm emulator pasted without any errors into Movie Magic Screenwriter.

                      John asked what Palm I was using and if I was using a keyboard. I have a lot of Palms and
                      a lot of different keyboards -- but the plan is to definitely use a keyboard. I recently
                      bought a wireless inferred keyboard (P10946U), which works with all the Palms I've tested
                      it on. That's probably the one I'll use.

                      For actually "programming" this project, I'm using a Palm emulator, that's emulating an
                      M505, with 4.0 OS. It's a lot easier for me than going back and forth on one of the real
                      Palms.

                      I've been testing Teikei on a WorkPad C500 (Palm M500) and a Tungsten E. So far
                      everything is working just like the emulator on both of them.

                      I do have a couple of questions about Teikei. I can bring up the DA from the keyboard. Is
                      there any way to select Tekei from the keyboard in the DA, or will I have to touch the
                      screen with the stylus? Also, in the emulator, I can use the arrow keys to move around in
                      Teikei and then enter to select what I want to paste. Is there a way to do the same thing
                      from the Palm keyboard?

                      If I could do those two things -- with the keyboard it, this would really be useful for
                      screenwriting.

                      (I haven't studied your examples yet, so some of this might be there.) What would really be
                      helpful is to somehow enter Character Names and Locations automatically into Teikei. I
                      have a feeling that's probably not possible, but... as long as I'm wishing. It works nice
                      even with the crappy memos I've written, so I'm not whining. Also if there's a way to paste
                      from Teikei and then have it automatically return to Teikei, that could be useful too. (This
                      would work for EXT. -> LOCATION NAME -> NIGHT (as one example.)

                      Now I'll go through your examples and see what I can improve.

                      Thanks.

                      ---
                      Dale

                    • daleblizz
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                        Hello again.

                        I should have had enough sense to read your post before I responded. You've already
                        answered some of the questions I had.

                        Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to write a pScript yet. I tried the
                        examples, but I'm not sure how you actually save it after you write it.

                        (I might have been trying activation instead of the actual writing. pEdit and pScript are a
                        "little" more complicated than Teikei, so I'm still trying to get it.)

                        Thanks again.

                      • daleblizz
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
> [...]
                          > use to format it will be different.
                          >
                          > > But you're right -- low sales volume equals higher cost, if it's being
                          > > done for a profit. There's no way to get around that.
                          >
                          > Sure, and I don't have a problem with it. Specialized tools are more
                          > expensive, and must be. But if you're trying to make money
                          > screenwriting, you need one badly enough to justify the cost. And
                          > it's a deductible business expense, so...

                          > >> I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
                          > >> before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
                          > >> might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.
                          > >
                          > > I'll take a look into that too. Thanks.
                          >
                          > Perl originated on Unix, and it's designed to manipulate text files in
                          > arbitrary ways. It has extensive features for matching patterns and
                          > performing edits on the patterns it matches. You could probably write

                          Hello Dennis,

                          The Palm emulator I'm using keeps burping when I try to load WordSmith, so I'll have to
                          work with that on a real Palm. The one thing I have noticed is that when I try to paste into
                          WordSmith with Teikei, it requires an extra step. I select the text in Teikei, hit the Enter
                          key and it does nothing, until I do the extra step of pasting it.

                          I've been throwing a lot at my leaky brain -- so I'll see if I can find out what's going on,
                          later.

                          Thanks again.

                          ---
                          Dale
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                            Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                            > Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to write a
                            > pScript yet. I tried the
                            > examples, but I'm not sure how you actually save it after you write it.
                            >
                            > (I might have been trying activation instead of the actual writing.
                            > pEdit and pScript are a
                            > "little" more complicated than Teikei, so I'm still trying to get it.)

                            I'm not entirely sure that pScripts are going to help you with this
                            project. But, if they are, particularly since you want to do
                            interactions with both pedit and TeikeiDA, you will need pToolSet.
                            pScripts written with pedit alone will operate only while in pedit,
                            and the activation methods are somewhat limited. The purpose of
                            having pScript(s) for your purpose would be to automate sequences of
                            operations that you would otherwise do with pen taps and strokes, and
                            keyboard actions, both in pedit (peditPro i hope?) and in Teikei. I'd
                            suggest doing everything you can with Teikei first, and then read and
                            work through the following pScripting/pToolSet tutorial.

                            ******

                            pScripting tutorial:

                            Since I am frequently helping others use pScripting for Palm OS,
                            I've written this intro tutorial to avoid repetition of effort. I
                            have no commercial connection whatever with the pToolSet and pedit
                            family of apps, but rather am myself a long-time happy user of them
                            (and a beta tester), grateful to their developer, Paul Nevai, for
                            their power, utility, and high quality.

                            pToolSet is a suite of 29 .prc's, a few of which will appear as
                            apps in your launcher, but most of which run invisibly as background
                            extensions until called upon. These have a multitude of utility
                            functions such as full-featured text editing of any Palm text field,
                            making entries into calendar, memo, and task DBs while still in other
                            apps, and text searches, and much more. In addition pToolSet enables
                            the use of macro scripts, called pScripts, which will automate nearly
                            any sequence of actions normally performed manually with keystrokes,
                            button presses, and stylus. Full use can be made of all the utility
                            functions of pToolSet without ever using pScripts. pScripting can be
                            used to automate and facilitate use of the Palm device without using
                            any of the other pToolSet modules. pToolSet and the pScripting
                            computer language were written by Paul Nevai, a professor of
                            mathematics at Ohio State University.

                            To evaluate pToolSet go to

                            http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/

                            and click in the left column on the pToolSet link under the pToolSet
                            heading, and also download the html manual listed under ptoolSet
                            documentation. To make full use of pScripting, also download the html
                            manual under pedit documentation, and the pScriptRunner link under the
                            pToolSet heading.

                            There are 29 .prc's in the pToolSet folder. Install them all, as
                            they are interactive and needed for full function. Do not install the
                            contents of the 00pToolButtons subfolder. Once installed pToolSet
                            should automatically be on and running, but to be sure, look in your
                            launcher and tap/select the "pToolOn" app. The functions of all the
                            pToolSet modules are fully described in the pToolSet manual. The
                            reason for downloading the pedit manual is that it contains the full
                            manual for the pScripting language, which was initially written by
                            Paul Nevai for the pedit text editor apps, but which has been extended
                            to operate via pToolSet globally, without the need to have one of the
                            pedit text editor family e.g. peditPro.

                            The master control, in essence a launcher, for pToolSet is
                            pMasterTool. When launched it appears as a single column list of all
                            the pToolSet modules and a number of actions. It can be launched in a
                            variety of ways detailed in the manual, including screen taps, button
                            press-and-holds, and key presses. However, to start, the easiest way
                            is to open the command bar (stylus forward upward slash stroke) and
                            tap the P-house icon which will be present if pToolSet is on. If you
                            have a Treo the command bar can be displayed using a feature of Butler
                            or 2LaunchMe. If you have a Treo but no way to display the command
                            bar, proceed as in the next paragraph, taken from the manual.
                            Otherwise skip to the paragraph after next.

                            You can activate pMasterTool as an Operating System Extension,
                            which is the launcher for pToolSet modules and special actions, using
                            a screen tap, a hard button press and hold, or the ESC key mechanism,
                            as follows. Launch the pToolPrefs application which will have appeared
                            in your launcher after installing pToolSet. Check on the "buttons" and
                            "taps" check boxes. Select the "Taps" button. Select the long box
                            under "pick tap pattern:" and select "BOTTOM border of DisplayScreen".
                            Select the box next to "LAST FOURTH" and select "current pMasterT".
                            Select OK and OK. Now a screen tap in the right fourth of the screen
                            bottom edge will launch pMasterTool as the extension. Another
                            practical choice is the "LAST FOURTH" of the "RIGHT border of
                            DisplayScreen". ? Similarly, using the "Buttons" button in
                            pToolPrefs you can designate a press-and-hold of one of the hard
                            buttons to activate pMasterTool.
                            And, to activate pMasterTool using the ESC key mechanism, launch
                            pToolPrefs and check on the "use ESC key" box. Put an infrequently
                            used lower case letter such as "z", or one of the opt button
                            characters such as "+" in the highlighted space. When you press the
                            letter key once, or press opt plus key simultaneously, pMasterTool
                            will launch. To type the character press the letter key a second time,
                            or press opt and character in sequence rather than simultaneously.

                            You can have more than one method to display the pMasterTool list
                            (henceforth "PMT") set up. You can also configure the PMT list in
                            different orders, and can configure it to use lower-case key presses
                            to activate the modules for Treo friendliness (see the manual or ask
                            me or the pedit forum). If your interest is in using the pToolSet
                            modules, the tutorial is done. Just open PMT and activate a module
                            and experiment, read the manual(carefully, it is very
                            information-dense), visit the forum. Explore the PMT dropdown menus
                            obtained by tap/press on menu, or tap on the header bar, while the PMT
                            list is open. If you want to do pScripting, read on.

                            Usually if you are reading this far it is because I'm helping you
                            with a specific pScripting project goal such as automating a sequence
                            for use in some app such as DateBk. The following will take you up to
                            the point where we will do the specific pScript you need.
                            1) Open PMT. Select pScriptPad. This will open a memo-pad-like
                            text field with the header scriptPad-#1. This pad, and only this one,
                            is recognized by the pScripting engines of pToolSet to contain the
                            code which constitutes pScripts.
                            2) First we'll set it up so you can use pScriptButtons, and several
                            other methods, to launch pScripts. 2 or 3 lines down from the top of
                            pScriptPad write

                            custBtnPageTotal=1

                            Everything you write in pScriptPad must be exact, as it is computer
                            code and taken literally. For example, there are no spaces in
                            "custBtnPageTotal=1".

                            2 or 3 lines below custBtnPageTotal=1 write

                            custBtn.001.1
                            pScript_01
                            {My First pScript::
                            /&mess[@@Greetings@@]}

                            Tap OK to leave pScriptPad

                            3) While in any app, open PMT and select pScriptButtons and tap "My
                            First pScript". A message results.
                            4) Open PMT, select pScriptTool, write "My First" (without the quote
                            marks) on the line "Run:", and tap/select "1:via pToolSet". Message.
                            5) Open PMT and press/tap the menu button or tap the screen header to
                            open the PMT dropdown menus. Select pMT1, then pToolSetPrefs. This
                            gives you the same screen you opened before as the pToolPrefs app.
                            Check the "buttons" and the "taps" check boxes if not already checked
                            on. Select the "Taps" button, select "BOTTOM border of Display
                            Screen" in the tap pattern box, and select/scroll the "LEFT FOURTH"
                            box way down to "pScript_01" and select that. Tap OK. Select the
                            "Buttons" button, check on the box for one of the hard buttons you do
                            not use for your launcher nor for DateBk. In "press pattern" select
                            hold'n'hold#1. In "hold pattern" select normal delay. In the box for
                            the button you checked on, select "run pScript_01". Tap ok and ok,
                            and close the PMT list. Now tap the lower left border of the screen,
                            right at the edge, in the bottom left 1/4. Message. Now press and
                            hold the hard button you activated until you see the message "run
                            pScript_01" and let up. Message.

                            You should have seen the "Greetings" message with each of the
                            pScript activation methods used in (3), (4), and (5) above. There are
                            additional ways to activate pScripts, see the manual or ask me or the
                            peditors forum. If this is not working for you let me know so we can
                            fix it. If it is working you are now set up to do pScripting, so let
                            me know and we'll proceed with your specific pScript(s).

                            Cheers, John.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                              Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                              > John asked what Palm I was using and if I was using a keyboard. I
                              > have a lot of Palms and
                              > a lot of different keyboards -- but the plan is to definitely use a
                              > keyboard. I recently
                              > bought a wireless inferred keyboard (P10946U), which works with all
                              > the Palms I've tested
                              > it on. That's probably the one I'll use.
                              >
                              > For actually "programming" this project, I'm using a Palm emulator,
                              > that's emulating an
                              > M505, with 4.0 OS. It's a lot easier for me than going back and
                              > forth on one of the real
                              > Palms.
                              >
                              > I've been testing Teikei on a WorkPad C500 (Palm M500) and a
                              > Tungsten E. So far
                              > everything is working just like the emulator on both of them.

                              The reason that I asked about devices and keyboards relates to the
                              possible use of pScripts. Since each different Palm device, M500,
                              M505, TE, T5, TX, etc., all have differing versions of OS 4 or 5, the
                              various OS's respond differently at times to some of the pScript
                              language tokens and expressions, particularly those relating to
                              navigation and (emulated) screen taps. So a pScript that works on an
                              M505 may not do exactly the same on a TE or TX or Treo. You might
                              need slightly different pScripts to do the same tasks for different
                              devices. I have a lot of experience writing pScripts, but only on the
                              actual devices, never on emulators. I think, from some comments made
                              by Paul in the past, that pScripts on emulator may not always work the
                              same as on the handheld. All that said, some pScripts might
                              facilitate your formating process. As already noted in my last post,
                              I think your best bet will be to get the Teikei parts to your
                              satisfaction and then look at whether adding some pScripts can
                              automate and streamline it somewhat for you.

                              ~ John
                            • fjmancho
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                    Hi Dale -

                                    Two comments at this point:

                                    1) From your initial post --
                                    "If you instead of hitting Enter a second time you hit the Tab key it
                                    assumes you want a Character Name. It takes you to the Center of the
                                    page and assumes upper case. Typing henry will give you HENRY. Enter
                                    again and it takes you to a Dialogue line, centered and directly
                                    below the Character Name."

                                    I've studied the issue of automatic centering of text, both during
                                    input and after input, quite thoroughly now, and am regrettably
                                    confident in saying that it is not possible in standard Palm text
                                    fields such as the memo field, using pedit or anything else. The only
                                    way is to approximate centering by moving the word or string with
                                    spacebar, tab, backspace. This is an inherent difference between text
                                    editors (pedit, Memos, standard Palm text field, .txt) which derive
                                    location from counting characters and don't deal with the concept of
                                    "center of the line" because the line is a variable item, and word
                                    processors such as WordSmith. I've tried a gazillion ways to trick
                                    it, no-can-do.

                                    2) from you and Jose -
                                    Quoting fjmancho <fjmancho@...>:
                                    >> Is there any way to select Tekei from the keyboard in the DA, or will I
                                    > have to touch the
                                    >> screen with the stylus?
                                    >
                                    > The best thing is to launch Teikei with pTools or pEdit pScripts (For
                                    > pScripting issues, read John's advice below: You will learn how to do it).
                                    > There are many ways to do it directly from the Keyboard.
                                    >
                                    > This pScript might help you
                                    >
                                    > {Teikei::/&daLaunch[@@Teikei DA@@]}
                                    >
                                    > You must respect the space between Teikei and DA (again, follow John's
                                    > advice to operate with pScripts).
                                    >
                                    > If, as I have seen bellow, you have decided to work with pEdit (I don't
                                    > have it yet, I am a pTools user) you must be able to do that easly.

                                    This would facilitate things for you right away, and you can run
                                    the pScript using pedit alone, don't need pToolSet, so let me give you
                                    a quick tutorial on how to do it so that with a couple of key presses
                                    on your keyboard you can open TeikeiDA.

                                    A) Open pedit (are you using peditPro?), menu/Op/preferences/general,
                                    and put a check in the "escape character is" box. The default
                                    character is the back apostrophe, ` . On your keyboard find a
                                    character that is easy to key but that you will rarely if ever use in
                                    the ordinary flow of text input. Depending on your keyboard it may be
                                    the default `, or you may choose some other. Put that in for your
                                    escape character (referred to as ESC) using the little scroll arrows.
                                    B) Test what you've just done by - with your keyboard hooked up,
                                    return to pedit Edit or List view, and enter your ESC character
                                    followed by the "&" character, that is, if your ESC is the `, you
                                    would enter `& . You should then see the pedit pScript activation
                                    dialog appear. Dismiss it by keying a period character, "." .
                                    C) Now do ESC M (escape char followed by capital M) and your
                                    pScriptPad will open. A couple of lines down from the top put in the
                                    pScript that Jose gave you

                                    {Teikei::/&daLaunch[@@Teikei DA@@]}

                                    This is programming code, so it must be exactly as written to work.
                                    There are no spaces between any of the characters except between
                                    Teikei and DA.
                                    Close pScriptPad (tap the OK button, or key in ESC o).

                                    D) Open a pedit memo (edit view). Do ESC & to open the pScript
                                    dialog. Type in an upper case T (first letter of Teikei, the name of
                                    your pScript, you have only one pScript so no ambiguity) and then type
                                    either a colon ":", or the letter "d" for "do it", and your pScript
                                    will open Teikei for you. Voila.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                      Ooops - little error - in

                                      Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

                                      > D) Open a pedit memo (edit view). Do ESC & to open the pScript
                                      > dialog. Type in an upper case T (first letter of Teikei, the name of
                                      > your pScript, you have only one pScript so no ambiguity) and then type
                                      > either a colon ":", or the letter "d" for "do it", and your pScript
                                      > will open Teikei for you.

                                      You must just use the colon, : , to activate the pScript. The letter
                                      d will not work.

                                      ~ John
                                    • daleblizz
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Dale -
                                        >
                                        > Two comments at this point:
                                        >
                                        > 1) From your initial post --
                                        > "If you instead of hitting Enter a second time you hit the Tab
                                        key it
                                        > assumes you want a Character Name. It takes you to the Center of
                                        the
                                        > page and assumes upper case. Typing henry will give you HENRY.
                                        Enter
                                        > again and it takes you to a Dialogue line, centered and directly
                                        > below the Character Name."
                                        >
                                        > I've studied the issue of automatic centering of text, both during
                                        > input and after input, quite thoroughly now, and am regrettably
                                        > confident in saying that it is not possible in standard Palm text
                                        > fields such as the memo field, using pedit or anything else. The
                                        only
                                        > way is to approximate centering by moving the word or string with
                                        > spacebar, tab, backspace. This is an inherent difference between
                                        text
                                        > editors (pedit, Memos, standard Palm text field, .txt) which
                                        derive
                                        > location from counting characters and don't deal with the concept
                                        of
                                        > "center of the line" because the line is a variable item, and word
                                        > processors such as WordSmith. I've tried a gazillion ways to
                                        trick
                                        > it, no-can-do.

                                        Thanks for the information. I need to learn to be more exact when
                                        I'm describing things. Technically -- nothing in the screenplay
                                        template is centered. The various element position are based on
                                        inches (or part of inches) from the left and/or inches (or part of
                                        inches) from the right.

                                        But... the good part (for me) is that Movie Magic Screenwriter is a
                                        well written program. When you paste in text, one of the options
                                        is: "Import Text In Screenplay Format". If you select that option
                                        the formatter knows (or guesses) what you want it to do.

                                        int. kitchen -- day
                                        JOHN chases a RAT.
                                        JOHN
                                        Damn rat.
                                        RAT
                                        (disgusted)
                                        Damn John.

                                        For example: This will format properly when you paste into the script
                                        formatter. It knows to capitalize the Scene Header INT. KITCHEN --
                                        DAY, based on the beginning, "int." It knows that John chases... is
                                        an action paragraph. It knows JOHN and RAT are a character names,
                                        based on the fact that they are all in upper case. It knows
                                        that "Damn rat." is dialogue because it follows a character name. It
                                        knows that (disgusted) is a Parenthetical, because it follows a
                                        character name and it's in parentheses.

                                        So pasting the above into Movie Magic Screenwriter will give you a
                                        correctly formatted script -- including position from the left, right
                                        and all the carriage returns it needs. (Maybe I'm making this harder
                                        than it needs to be.)

                                        I am sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase on the centering
                                        thing.

> [...]
                                        > C) Now do ESC M (escape char followed by capital M) and your
                                        > pScriptPad will open. A couple of lines down from the top put in
                                        the
                                        > pScript that Jose gave you
                                        >
                                        > {Teikei::/&daLaunch[@@Teikei DA@@]}
                                        >
                                        > This is programming code, so it must be exactly as written to
                                        work.
                                        > There are no spaces between any of the characters except between
                                        > Teikei and DA.
                                        > Close pScriptPad (tap the OK button, or key in ESC o).
                                        >
                                        > D) Open a pedit memo (edit view). Do ESC & to open the pScript
                                        > dialog. Type in an upper case T (first letter of Teikei, the name
                                        of
                                        > your pScript, you have only one pScript so no ambiguity) and then
                                        type
                                        > either a colon ":", or the letter "d" for "do it", and your

                                        Thanks again, John. I'll try to dig into it and see how far I can
                                        get. (I am using pEditPro.)

                                        ---
                                        Dale
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                          Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                                          > int. kitchen -- day
                                          > JOHN chases a RAT.
                                          > JOHN
                                          > Damn rat.
                                          > RAT
                                          > (disgusted)
                                          > Damn John.

                                          How did you know?? (signed, John).....

                                          > I am sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase on the centering
                                          > thing.

                                          Wild rat chase, man. Gotta keep your menagerie straight. Not a
                                          problem, I love futzing with stuff like this.

                                          > Thanks again, John. I'll try to dig into it and see how far I can
                                          > get. (I am using pEditPro.)

                                          Yeah. Kidding aside -- you should do the pedit ESC/pScript part
                                          asap. It is easy even if the instructions look a little foreboding,
                                          and once you see how it works you'll love it. The payoff of doing the
                                          Teikei pScript setup is that once it's done, it will take 4 quick
                                          keystrokes to open TeikeiDA. Assuming your ESC character is ` , you
                                          key the sequence `&T: and TeikeiDA is open, so long as you do so
                                          while in peditPro.