Re: [peditors] Screenplay formatter?

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
      Hi to all -

      I'm still a little sleepy this morning, but, having read through
      this thread, here are a couple of thoughts..

      I can't think of any combination of pedit and pScripting that would
      result in a fully interactive system such as you describe, but I think
      it's possible to come close, along the lines that Jose noted.

      With regard to length of the text and the 32K limit, read the
      section "Segmented Memos" in the pedit manual.

      With regard to putting predetermined text strings into a memo:
      1) read the magiPad section in the manual (right after segmented
      memos), Qopy'n'Paste, etc.
      2) pScripts can be written which would position the cursor and
      print specific text. In this regard, if you were to have pToolSet
      installed as well as pedit you could use pToolButtons or pScriptTool
      to present popup lists of pScripts. You would then use a hard button
      press-and-hold ("hold'n'hold") to open the list and then select the
      action you want.

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
        Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

        > With regard to length of the text and the 32K limit, read the
        > section "Segmented Memos" in the pedit manual.

        Also see "SkyIsLimit on|off" in the edit view/edit+ section of the manual.

        > With regard to putting predetermined text strings into a memo:

        Also see the "Auto Indent" section in the edit view/edit+ section
        of the manual.

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
          On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:41 AM, daleblizz <daleblizz@...> wrote:
          > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
          >
          >> How big is the average screenplay?
          >
          > Doing a quick check on 110 page screenplays in .txt -- they're about
          > 175k. But you wouldn't necessarily need the whole thing in your Palm
          > or in one file. 32k is enough for around twenty pages, which is more
          > than enough for one writing session.

          Okay, I thought that might be the case, though you would still face
          the issues o merging that session with the full screenplay on the
          desktop/laptop.

          >> I use and love WordSmith, and I'm tickled that screenwriters use it,
          >> but I'm not sure I'd want to try crafting a screenplay on a Palm OS
          >> PDA.
          >
          > I got one screenwriter hooked on it. He works several jobs, set
          > designer, cameraman and screenplay writer. Sometimes he has idle time
          > and wanted to know if there was something smaller than a laptop that
          > he could write on when he had a few minutes. I had an extra Palm III
          > a Palm keyboard and Office Depot sold out some packs of Handmark
          > Wordsmith cheap. He keeps it in coat pocket and writes whenever he
          > has time.

          I got Wordsmith way back for my original Handspring Visor Deluxe, and
          have continued to use it. It hasn't been updated in years, but it's
          still the best program I've on Palm OS for *creating* text that isn't
          a Memopad document. Extant "office" solutions like Documents to Go
          implicitly assume you are creating the file on a desktop/laptop, and
          will view and edit on the handheld. With my PDA and a Palm folding
          keyboard, I can often live without a laptop. To make life more
          convenient, I use a trick. I put a copy of the DOS command line
          converter for Wordsmith documents on the SD card in the WordSmith
          directory. When I have a file I'll want to work on on the PDA, I Save
          As in RTF format to the card with a USB card reader, then run the
          converter from the card to convert the file to the format WS uses. I
          reverse the process going the other way, so I don't need to have
          WordSmith installed on the PC I'm using.

          > He's written over ten screenplays on it and he's got other
          > screenwriters in LA doing the same thing.

          Cool. I know a few novelists who use WordSmith for the same reasons.

          > There's a company "ScriptRight" http://www.scriptright.com/ that sells
          > a formatter for Pocket PCs and claims that they'll have a version for
          > Palm soon. (The problem is they've been saying that for around three
          > years now.)

          Unless they get inspired by Palm's new "Nova" OS, supposedly debuting
          at CES, I wouldn't hold my breath. Too many folks see the market
          going elsewhere. The new owner of Launcher X (the best alternative
          launcher I have seen for Palm OS product) just popped up on a Launcher
          X support board talking about a windows Mobile version and looking for
          beta testers. He just doesn't see the revenue in developing for Palm
          OS these days.

          > So there is a market -- probably not very big one, but screenplay
          > formatters aren't a huge market even for desktops and laptops.

          And are consequently fairly expensive.

          >> What sort of problems are encountered dumping a WordSmith file into a
          >> screenplay formatter?
          >
          > If you're careful you can avoid most problems. For example if you
          > capitalize in the all right places the the screenplay formatter will
          > recognize most of what's supposed to be a scene heading or a character
          > name or an action paragraph.
          >
          > The problem is sometimes you get in a hurry to get something down and
          > you don't get all the picky stuff right. Then you need to go back and
          > correct it, before you paste it into the screenplay formatter or
          > correct it after the formatter gets it.

          I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
          before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
          might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.

          > It's doable. It would just be nice to have a formatter that worked in
          > the Palm.

          Yes, it would.

          > Thanks for your response.

          You're welcome.
        • daleblizz
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:41 AM, daleblizz <daleblizz@...> wrote:
            > > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@> wrote:
            > >
            > >> How big is the average screenplay?
            > >
            > > Doing a quick check on 110 page screenplays in .txt -- they're about
            > > 175k. But you wouldn't necessarily need the whole thing in your Palm
            > > or in one file. 32k is enough for around twenty pages, which is more
            > > than enough for one writing session.
            >
            > Okay, I thought that might be the case, though you would still face
            > the issues o merging that session with the full screenplay on the
            > desktop/laptop.

            Fortunately that part is easy with Movie Magic Screenwriter. As long
            as it recognizes the formatting you can paste additional pages at the
            end (or anywhere in the screenplay) and it's happy.

            > >> I use and love WordSmith, and I'm tickled that screenwriters use it,
            > >> but I'm not sure I'd want to try crafting a screenplay on a Palm OS
            > >> PDA.
            > >
            > > I got one screenwriter hooked on it. He works several jobs, set
            > > designer, cameraman and screenplay writer. Sometimes he has idle time
            > > and wanted to know if there was something smaller than a laptop that
            > > he could write on when he had a few minutes. I had an extra Palm III
            > > a Palm keyboard and Office Depot sold out some packs of Handmark
            > > Wordsmith cheap. He keeps it in coat pocket and writes whenever he
            > > has time.
            >
            > I got Wordsmith way back for my original Handspring Visor Deluxe, and
            > have continued to use it. It hasn't been updated in years, but it's
            > still the best program I've on Palm OS for *creating* text that isn't
            > a Memopad document. Extant "office" solutions like Documents to Go
            > implicitly assume you are creating the file on a desktop/laptop, and
            > will view and edit on the handheld. With my PDA and a Palm folding
            > keyboard, I can often live without a laptop. To make life more
            > convenient, I use a trick. I put a copy of the DOS command line
            > converter for Wordsmith documents on the SD card in the WordSmith
            > directory. When I have a file I'll want to work on on the PDA, I Save
            > As in RTF format to the card with a USB card reader, then run the
            > converter from the card to convert the file to the format WS uses. I
            > reverse the process going the other way, so I don't need to have
            > WordSmith installed on the PC I'm using.

            Thanks, I'll try that. And let my brother know. He does most of his
            writing on his "IBM" Workpad C500 (black Palm M500 with a different logo).

            > > He's written over ten screenplays on it and he's got other
            > > screenwriters in LA doing the same thing.
            >
            > Cool. I know a few novelists who use WordSmith for the same reasons.
            >
            > > There's a company "ScriptRight" http://www.scriptright.com/ that sells
            > > a formatter for Pocket PCs and claims that they'll have a version for
            > > Palm soon. (The problem is they've been saying that for around three
            > > years now.)
            >
            > Unless they get inspired by Palm's new "Nova" OS, supposedly debuting
            > at CES, I wouldn't hold my breath. Too many folks see the market
            > going elsewhere. The new owner of Launcher X (the best alternative
            > launcher I have seen for Palm OS product) just popped up on a Launcher
            > X support board talking about a windows Mobile version and looking for
            > beta testers. He just doesn't see the revenue in developing for Palm
            > OS these days.
            >
            > > So there is a market -- probably not very big one, but screenplay
            > > formatters aren't a huge market even for desktops and laptops.
            >
            > And are consequently fairly expensive.

            Unless you know where to look. One of the two biggest formatters
            (Movie Magic Screenwriter) sells for around $200, which IS expensive
            for a glorified word processor. But they also sell a cut-down version
            that does the exact same job of formatting (with a different file
            extension name) and doesn't have the production features (which a
            screenplay writer working on a spec script doesn't need anyway).

            The cut down version sells for $35 to $40 and changing the extension
            at the end of file makes them completely compatible with the expensive
            version.

            But you're right -- low sales volume equals higher cost, if it's being
            done for a profit. There's no way to get around that.

            > >> What sort of problems are encountered dumping a WordSmith file into a
            > >> screenplay formatter?
            > >
            > > If you're careful you can avoid most problems. For example if you
            > > capitalize in the all right places the the screenplay formatter will
            > > recognize most of what's supposed to be a scene heading or a character
            > > name or an action paragraph.
            > >
            > > The problem is sometimes you get in a hurry to get something down and
            > > you don't get all the picky stuff right. Then you need to go back and
            > > correct it, before you paste it into the screenplay formatter or
            > > correct it after the formatter gets it.
            >
            > I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
            > before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
            > might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.

            I'll take a look into that too. Thanks.

            ---
            Dale
          • daleblizz
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, fjmancho <fjmancho@...> wrote:

              > Hi daleblizz,

              Thanks Jose. You guys are going to keep me busy. I was able to find
              the website and download it.
            • daleblizz
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

                > Hi to all -
                >
                > I'm still a little sleepy this morning, but, having read through
                > this thread, here are a couple of thoughts..
                >
                > I can't think of any combination of pedit and pScripting that would
                > result in a fully interactive system such as you describe, but I think
                > it's possible to come close, along the lines that Jose noted.
                >
                > With regard to length of the text and the 32K limit, read the
                > section "Segmented Memos" in the pedit manual.
                >
                > With regard to putting predetermined text strings into a memo:
                > 1) read the magiPad section in the manual (right after segmented
                > memos), Qopy'n'Paste, etc.
                > 2) pScripts can be written which would position the cursor and
                > print specific text. In this regard, if you were to have pToolSet
                > installed as well as pedit you could use pToolButtons or pScriptTool
                > to present popup lists of pScripts. You would then use a hard button
                > press-and-hold ("hold'n'hold") to open the list and then select the
                > action you want.

                Thanks John. I've got to get working now. I hope you don't if I ask
                more questions as I go.

                ---
                Dale
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 26, 2008
                  Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                  > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi to all -
                  >>
                  >> I'm still a little sleepy this morning, but, having read through
                  >> this thread, here are a couple of thoughts..

                  > Thanks John. I've got to get working now. I hope you don't if I ask
                  > more questions as I go.
                  >
                  > ---
                  > Dale

                  OK. Happy to help. Ready when you are. If you decide you want to
                  try pScripts, tell us in your next reply which device(s) you use and
                  if you are using an external keyboard.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 27, 2008
                    On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 2:10 PM, daleblizz <daleblizz@...> wrote:
                    > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>wrote:

                    >> Okay, I thought that might be the case, though you would still face
                    >> the issues o merging that session with the full screenplay on the
                    >> desktop/laptop.
                    >
                    > Fortunately that part is easy with Movie Magic Screenwriter. As long
                    > as it recognizes the formatting you can paste additional pages at the
                    > end (or anywhere in the screenplay) and it's happy.

                    Oh, good.

                    >> To make life more
                    >> convenient, I use a trick. I put a copy of the DOS command line
                    >> converter for Wordsmith documents on the SD card in the WordSmith
                    >> directory. When I have a file I'll want to work on on the PDA, I Save
                    >> As in RTF format to the card with a USB card reader, then run the
                    >> converter from the card to convert the file to the format WS uses. I
                    >> reverse the process going the other way, so I don't need to have
                    >> WordSmith installed on the PC I'm using.
                    >
                    > Thanks, I'll try that. And let my brother know. He does most of his
                    > writing on his "IBM" Workpad C500 (black Palm M500 with a different logo).

                    It makes life easier, and I can create files I'll work on in WS on any PC.

                    >> > So there is a market -- probably not very big one, but screenplay
                    >> > formatters aren't a huge market even for desktops and laptops.
                    >>
                    >> And are consequently fairly expensive.
                    >
                    > Unless you know where to look. One of the two biggest formatters
                    > (Movie Magic Screenwriter) sells for around $200, which IS expensive
                    > for a glorified word processor. But they also sell a cut-down version
                    > that does the exact same job of formatting (with a different file
                    > extension name) and doesn't have the production features (which a
                    > screenplay writer working on a spec script doesn't need anyway).
                    >
                    > The cut down version sells for $35 to $40 and changing the extension
                    > at the end of file makes them completely compatible with the expensive
                    > version.

                    Sounds like the cut-down version is strictly a formatter without the
                    text creation/editing features. That would be fine by me. I come
                    from the Unix world, where the paradigm is one tool for each job, and
                    it's assumed the program you use to create your text and the one you
                    use to format it will be different.

                    > But you're right -- low sales volume equals higher cost, if it's being
                    > done for a profit. There's no way to get around that.

                    Sure, and I don't have a problem with it. Specialized tools are more
                    expensive, and must be. But if you're trying to make money
                    screenwriting, you need one badly enough to justify the cost. And
                    it's a deductible business expense, so...

                    >> > The problem is sometimes you get in a hurry to get something down and
                    >> > you don't get all the picky stuff right. Then you need to go back and
                    >> > correct it, before you paste it into the screenplay formatter or
                    >> > correct it after the formatter gets it.
                    >>
                    >> I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
                    >> before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
                    >> might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.
                    >
                    > I'll take a look into that too. Thanks.

                    Perl originated on Unix, and it's designed to manipulate text files in
                    arbitrary ways. It has extensive features for matching patterns and
                    performing edits on the patterns it matches. You could probably write
                    a full screenplay formatter in Perl.

                    > Dale
                    _____
                    Dennis
                  • fjmancho
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                        Hello Jose, John,

                        I was working with Teikei on Friday night -- Saturday morning, and I was going to post a
                        progress report and ask some questions, but I had family visiting yesterday.

                        Thanks for your examples -- I've got a lot to learn, but it seems fairly easy to work with. I
                        have some pictures of what I've done so far: http://tinyurl.com/79u26a

                        I was able to "program" (if that's what you call it) Teikei to put in spaces and character
                        returns, and it's already useful, but I would like to make it work better. The short script I
                        wrote in the Palm emulator pasted without any errors into Movie Magic Screenwriter.

                        John asked what Palm I was using and if I was using a keyboard. I have a lot of Palms and
                        a lot of different keyboards -- but the plan is to definitely use a keyboard. I recently
                        bought a wireless inferred keyboard (P10946U), which works with all the Palms I've tested
                        it on. That's probably the one I'll use.

                        For actually "programming" this project, I'm using a Palm emulator, that's emulating an
                        M505, with 4.0 OS. It's a lot easier for me than going back and forth on one of the real
                        Palms.

                        I've been testing Teikei on a WorkPad C500 (Palm M500) and a Tungsten E. So far
                        everything is working just like the emulator on both of them.

                        I do have a couple of questions about Teikei. I can bring up the DA from the keyboard. Is
                        there any way to select Tekei from the keyboard in the DA, or will I have to touch the
                        screen with the stylus? Also, in the emulator, I can use the arrow keys to move around in
                        Teikei and then enter to select what I want to paste. Is there a way to do the same thing
                        from the Palm keyboard?

                        If I could do those two things -- with the keyboard it, this would really be useful for
                        screenwriting.

                        (I haven't studied your examples yet, so some of this might be there.) What would really be
                        helpful is to somehow enter Character Names and Locations automatically into Teikei. I
                        have a feeling that's probably not possible, but... as long as I'm wishing. It works nice
                        even with the crappy memos I've written, so I'm not whining. Also if there's a way to paste
                        from Teikei and then have it automatically return to Teikei, that could be useful too. (This
                        would work for EXT. -> LOCATION NAME -> NIGHT (as one example.)

                        Now I'll go through your examples and see what I can improve.

                        Thanks.

                        ---
                        Dale

                      • daleblizz
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                          Hello again.

                          I should have had enough sense to read your post before I responded. You've already
                          answered some of the questions I had.

                          Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to write a pScript yet. I tried the
                          examples, but I'm not sure how you actually save it after you write it.

                          (I might have been trying activation instead of the actual writing. pEdit and pScript are a
                          "little" more complicated than Teikei, so I'm still trying to get it.)

                          Thanks again.

                        • daleblizz
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
> [...]
                            > use to format it will be different.
                            >
                            > > But you're right -- low sales volume equals higher cost, if it's being
                            > > done for a profit. There's no way to get around that.
                            >
                            > Sure, and I don't have a problem with it. Specialized tools are more
                            > expensive, and must be. But if you're trying to make money
                            > screenwriting, you need one badly enough to justify the cost. And
                            > it's a deductible business expense, so...

                            > >> I'd look at "post-processing" the the text to correct such things
                            > >> before dumping it to the formatter. Something like a Perl script
                            > >> might do an effective job of fixing errors before formatting.
                            > >
                            > > I'll take a look into that too. Thanks.
                            >
                            > Perl originated on Unix, and it's designed to manipulate text files in
                            > arbitrary ways. It has extensive features for matching patterns and
                            > performing edits on the patterns it matches. You could probably write

                            Hello Dennis,

                            The Palm emulator I'm using keeps burping when I try to load WordSmith, so I'll have to
                            work with that on a real Palm. The one thing I have noticed is that when I try to paste into
                            WordSmith with Teikei, it requires an extra step. I select the text in Teikei, hit the Enter
                            key and it does nothing, until I do the extra step of pasting it.

                            I've been throwing a lot at my leaky brain -- so I'll see if I can find out what's going on,
                            later.

                            Thanks again.

                            ---
                            Dale
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                              Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                              > Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to write a
                              > pScript yet. I tried the
                              > examples, but I'm not sure how you actually save it after you write it.
                              >
                              > (I might have been trying activation instead of the actual writing.
                              > pEdit and pScript are a
                              > "little" more complicated than Teikei, so I'm still trying to get it.)

                              I'm not entirely sure that pScripts are going to help you with this
                              project. But, if they are, particularly since you want to do
                              interactions with both pedit and TeikeiDA, you will need pToolSet.
                              pScripts written with pedit alone will operate only while in pedit,
                              and the activation methods are somewhat limited. The purpose of
                              having pScript(s) for your purpose would be to automate sequences of
                              operations that you would otherwise do with pen taps and strokes, and
                              keyboard actions, both in pedit (peditPro i hope?) and in Teikei. I'd
                              suggest doing everything you can with Teikei first, and then read and
                              work through the following pScripting/pToolSet tutorial.

                              ******

                              pScripting tutorial:

                              Since I am frequently helping others use pScripting for Palm OS,
                              I've written this intro tutorial to avoid repetition of effort. I
                              have no commercial connection whatever with the pToolSet and pedit
                              family of apps, but rather am myself a long-time happy user of them
                              (and a beta tester), grateful to their developer, Paul Nevai, for
                              their power, utility, and high quality.

                              pToolSet is a suite of 29 .prc's, a few of which will appear as
                              apps in your launcher, but most of which run invisibly as background
                              extensions until called upon. These have a multitude of utility
                              functions such as full-featured text editing of any Palm text field,
                              making entries into calendar, memo, and task DBs while still in other
                              apps, and text searches, and much more. In addition pToolSet enables
                              the use of macro scripts, called pScripts, which will automate nearly
                              any sequence of actions normally performed manually with keystrokes,
                              button presses, and stylus. Full use can be made of all the utility
                              functions of pToolSet without ever using pScripts. pScripting can be
                              used to automate and facilitate use of the Palm device without using
                              any of the other pToolSet modules. pToolSet and the pScripting
                              computer language were written by Paul Nevai, a professor of
                              mathematics at Ohio State University.

                              To evaluate pToolSet go to

                              http://home.columbus.rr.com/nevai/palm/

                              and click in the left column on the pToolSet link under the pToolSet
                              heading, and also download the html manual listed under ptoolSet
                              documentation. To make full use of pScripting, also download the html
                              manual under pedit documentation, and the pScriptRunner link under the
                              pToolSet heading.

                              There are 29 .prc's in the pToolSet folder. Install them all, as
                              they are interactive and needed for full function. Do not install the
                              contents of the 00pToolButtons subfolder. Once installed pToolSet
                              should automatically be on and running, but to be sure, look in your
                              launcher and tap/select the "pToolOn" app. The functions of all the
                              pToolSet modules are fully described in the pToolSet manual. The
                              reason for downloading the pedit manual is that it contains the full
                              manual for the pScripting language, which was initially written by
                              Paul Nevai for the pedit text editor apps, but which has been extended
                              to operate via pToolSet globally, without the need to have one of the
                              pedit text editor family e.g. peditPro.

                              The master control, in essence a launcher, for pToolSet is
                              pMasterTool. When launched it appears as a single column list of all
                              the pToolSet modules and a number of actions. It can be launched in a
                              variety of ways detailed in the manual, including screen taps, button
                              press-and-holds, and key presses. However, to start, the easiest way
                              is to open the command bar (stylus forward upward slash stroke) and
                              tap the P-house icon which will be present if pToolSet is on. If you
                              have a Treo the command bar can be displayed using a feature of Butler
                              or 2LaunchMe. If you have a Treo but no way to display the command
                              bar, proceed as in the next paragraph, taken from the manual.
                              Otherwise skip to the paragraph after next.

                              You can activate pMasterTool as an Operating System Extension,
                              which is the launcher for pToolSet modules and special actions, using
                              a screen tap, a hard button press and hold, or the ESC key mechanism,
                              as follows. Launch the pToolPrefs application which will have appeared
                              in your launcher after installing pToolSet. Check on the "buttons" and
                              "taps" check boxes. Select the "Taps" button. Select the long box
                              under "pick tap pattern:" and select "BOTTOM border of DisplayScreen".
                              Select the box next to "LAST FOURTH" and select "current pMasterT".
                              Select OK and OK. Now a screen tap in the right fourth of the screen
                              bottom edge will launch pMasterTool as the extension. Another
                              practical choice is the "LAST FOURTH" of the "RIGHT border of
                              DisplayScreen". ? Similarly, using the "Buttons" button in
                              pToolPrefs you can designate a press-and-hold of one of the hard
                              buttons to activate pMasterTool.
                              And, to activate pMasterTool using the ESC key mechanism, launch
                              pToolPrefs and check on the "use ESC key" box. Put an infrequently
                              used lower case letter such as "z", or one of the opt button
                              characters such as "+" in the highlighted space. When you press the
                              letter key once, or press opt plus key simultaneously, pMasterTool
                              will launch. To type the character press the letter key a second time,
                              or press opt and character in sequence rather than simultaneously.

                              You can have more than one method to display the pMasterTool list
                              (henceforth "PMT") set up. You can also configure the PMT list in
                              different orders, and can configure it to use lower-case key presses
                              to activate the modules for Treo friendliness (see the manual or ask
                              me or the pedit forum). If your interest is in using the pToolSet
                              modules, the tutorial is done. Just open PMT and activate a module
                              and experiment, read the manual(carefully, it is very
                              information-dense), visit the forum. Explore the PMT dropdown menus
                              obtained by tap/press on menu, or tap on the header bar, while the PMT
                              list is open. If you want to do pScripting, read on.

                              Usually if you are reading this far it is because I'm helping you
                              with a specific pScripting project goal such as automating a sequence
                              for use in some app such as DateBk. The following will take you up to
                              the point where we will do the specific pScript you need.
                              1) Open PMT. Select pScriptPad. This will open a memo-pad-like
                              text field with the header scriptPad-#1. This pad, and only this one,
                              is recognized by the pScripting engines of pToolSet to contain the
                              code which constitutes pScripts.
                              2) First we'll set it up so you can use pScriptButtons, and several
                              other methods, to launch pScripts. 2 or 3 lines down from the top of
                              pScriptPad write

                              custBtnPageTotal=1

                              Everything you write in pScriptPad must be exact, as it is computer
                              code and taken literally. For example, there are no spaces in
                              "custBtnPageTotal=1".

                              2 or 3 lines below custBtnPageTotal=1 write

                              custBtn.001.1
                              pScript_01
                              {My First pScript::
                              /&mess[@@Greetings@@]}

                              Tap OK to leave pScriptPad

                              3) While in any app, open PMT and select pScriptButtons and tap "My
                              First pScript". A message results.
                              4) Open PMT, select pScriptTool, write "My First" (without the quote
                              marks) on the line "Run:", and tap/select "1:via pToolSet". Message.
                              5) Open PMT and press/tap the menu button or tap the screen header to
                              open the PMT dropdown menus. Select pMT1, then pToolSetPrefs. This
                              gives you the same screen you opened before as the pToolPrefs app.
                              Check the "buttons" and the "taps" check boxes if not already checked
                              on. Select the "Taps" button, select "BOTTOM border of Display
                              Screen" in the tap pattern box, and select/scroll the "LEFT FOURTH"
                              box way down to "pScript_01" and select that. Tap OK. Select the
                              "Buttons" button, check on the box for one of the hard buttons you do
                              not use for your launcher nor for DateBk. In "press pattern" select
                              hold'n'hold#1. In "hold pattern" select normal delay. In the box for
                              the button you checked on, select "run pScript_01". Tap ok and ok,
                              and close the PMT list. Now tap the lower left border of the screen,
                              right at the edge, in the bottom left 1/4. Message. Now press and
                              hold the hard button you activated until you see the message "run
                              pScript_01" and let up. Message.

                              You should have seen the "Greetings" message with each of the
                              pScript activation methods used in (3), (4), and (5) above. There are
                              additional ways to activate pScripts, see the manual or ask me or the
                              peditors forum. If this is not working for you let me know so we can
                              fix it. If it is working you are now set up to do pScripting, so let
                              me know and we'll proceed with your specific pScript(s).

                              Cheers, John.
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                                Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                                > John asked what Palm I was using and if I was using a keyboard. I
                                > have a lot of Palms and
                                > a lot of different keyboards -- but the plan is to definitely use a
                                > keyboard. I recently
                                > bought a wireless inferred keyboard (P10946U), which works with all
                                > the Palms I've tested
                                > it on. That's probably the one I'll use.
                                >
                                > For actually "programming" this project, I'm using a Palm emulator,
                                > that's emulating an
                                > M505, with 4.0 OS. It's a lot easier for me than going back and
                                > forth on one of the real
                                > Palms.
                                >
                                > I've been testing Teikei on a WorkPad C500 (Palm M500) and a
                                > Tungsten E. So far
                                > everything is working just like the emulator on both of them.

                                The reason that I asked about devices and keyboards relates to the
                                possible use of pScripts. Since each different Palm device, M500,
                                M505, TE, T5, TX, etc., all have differing versions of OS 4 or 5, the
                                various OS's respond differently at times to some of the pScript
                                language tokens and expressions, particularly those relating to
                                navigation and (emulated) screen taps. So a pScript that works on an
                                M505 may not do exactly the same on a TE or TX or Treo. You might
                                need slightly different pScripts to do the same tasks for different
                                devices. I have a lot of experience writing pScripts, but only on the
                                actual devices, never on emulators. I think, from some comments made
                                by Paul in the past, that pScripts on emulator may not always work the
                                same as on the handheld. All that said, some pScripts might
                                facilitate your formating process. As already noted in my last post,
                                I think your best bet will be to get the Teikei parts to your
                                satisfaction and then look at whether adding some pScripts can
                                automate and streamline it somewhat for you.

                                ~ John
                              • fjmancho
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 28, 2008
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                      Hi Dale -

                                      Two comments at this point:

                                      1) From your initial post --
                                      "If you instead of hitting Enter a second time you hit the Tab key it
                                      assumes you want a Character Name. It takes you to the Center of the
                                      page and assumes upper case. Typing henry will give you HENRY. Enter
                                      again and it takes you to a Dialogue line, centered and directly
                                      below the Character Name."

                                      I've studied the issue of automatic centering of text, both during
                                      input and after input, quite thoroughly now, and am regrettably
                                      confident in saying that it is not possible in standard Palm text
                                      fields such as the memo field, using pedit or anything else. The only
                                      way is to approximate centering by moving the word or string with
                                      spacebar, tab, backspace. This is an inherent difference between text
                                      editors (pedit, Memos, standard Palm text field, .txt) which derive
                                      location from counting characters and don't deal with the concept of
                                      "center of the line" because the line is a variable item, and word
                                      processors such as WordSmith. I've tried a gazillion ways to trick
                                      it, no-can-do.

                                      2) from you and Jose -
                                      Quoting fjmancho <fjmancho@...>:
                                      >> Is there any way to select Tekei from the keyboard in the DA, or will I
                                      > have to touch the
                                      >> screen with the stylus?
                                      >
                                      > The best thing is to launch Teikei with pTools or pEdit pScripts (For
                                      > pScripting issues, read John's advice below: You will learn how to do it).
                                      > There are many ways to do it directly from the Keyboard.
                                      >
                                      > This pScript might help you
                                      >
                                      > {Teikei::/&daLaunch[@@Teikei DA@@]}
                                      >
                                      > You must respect the space between Teikei and DA (again, follow John's
                                      > advice to operate with pScripts).
                                      >
                                      > If, as I have seen bellow, you have decided to work with pEdit (I don't
                                      > have it yet, I am a pTools user) you must be able to do that easly.

                                      This would facilitate things for you right away, and you can run
                                      the pScript using pedit alone, don't need pToolSet, so let me give you
                                      a quick tutorial on how to do it so that with a couple of key presses
                                      on your keyboard you can open TeikeiDA.

                                      A) Open pedit (are you using peditPro?), menu/Op/preferences/general,
                                      and put a check in the "escape character is" box. The default
                                      character is the back apostrophe, ` . On your keyboard find a
                                      character that is easy to key but that you will rarely if ever use in
                                      the ordinary flow of text input. Depending on your keyboard it may be
                                      the default `, or you may choose some other. Put that in for your
                                      escape character (referred to as ESC) using the little scroll arrows.
                                      B) Test what you've just done by - with your keyboard hooked up,
                                      return to pedit Edit or List view, and enter your ESC character
                                      followed by the "&" character, that is, if your ESC is the `, you
                                      would enter `& . You should then see the pedit pScript activation
                                      dialog appear. Dismiss it by keying a period character, "." .
                                      C) Now do ESC M (escape char followed by capital M) and your
                                      pScriptPad will open. A couple of lines down from the top put in the
                                      pScript that Jose gave you

                                      {Teikei::/&daLaunch[@@Teikei DA@@]}

                                      This is programming code, so it must be exactly as written to work.
                                      There are no spaces between any of the characters except between
                                      Teikei and DA.
                                      Close pScriptPad (tap the OK button, or key in ESC o).

                                      D) Open a pedit memo (edit view). Do ESC & to open the pScript
                                      dialog. Type in an upper case T (first letter of Teikei, the name of
                                      your pScript, you have only one pScript so no ambiguity) and then type
                                      either a colon ":", or the letter "d" for "do it", and your pScript
                                      will open Teikei for you. Voila.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                        Ooops - little error - in

                                        Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

                                        > D) Open a pedit memo (edit view). Do ESC & to open the pScript
                                        > dialog. Type in an upper case T (first letter of Teikei, the name of
                                        > your pScript, you have only one pScript so no ambiguity) and then type
                                        > either a colon ":", or the letter "d" for "do it", and your pScript
                                        > will open Teikei for you.

                                        You must just use the colon, : , to activate the pScript. The letter
                                        d will not work.

                                        ~ John
                                      • daleblizz
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Dale -
                                          >
                                          > Two comments at this point:
                                          >
                                          > 1) From your initial post --
                                          > "If you instead of hitting Enter a second time you hit the Tab
                                          key it
                                          > assumes you want a Character Name. It takes you to the Center of
                                          the
                                          > page and assumes upper case. Typing henry will give you HENRY.
                                          Enter
                                          > again and it takes you to a Dialogue line, centered and directly
                                          > below the Character Name."
                                          >
                                          > I've studied the issue of automatic centering of text, both during
                                          > input and after input, quite thoroughly now, and am regrettably
                                          > confident in saying that it is not possible in standard Palm text
                                          > fields such as the memo field, using pedit or anything else. The
                                          only
                                          > way is to approximate centering by moving the word or string with
                                          > spacebar, tab, backspace. This is an inherent difference between
                                          text
                                          > editors (pedit, Memos, standard Palm text field, .txt) which
                                          derive
                                          > location from counting characters and don't deal with the concept
                                          of
                                          > "center of the line" because the line is a variable item, and word
                                          > processors such as WordSmith. I've tried a gazillion ways to
                                          trick
                                          > it, no-can-do.

                                          Thanks for the information. I need to learn to be more exact when
                                          I'm describing things. Technically -- nothing in the screenplay
                                          template is centered. The various element position are based on
                                          inches (or part of inches) from the left and/or inches (or part of
                                          inches) from the right.

                                          But... the good part (for me) is that Movie Magic Screenwriter is a
                                          well written program. When you paste in text, one of the options
                                          is: "Import Text In Screenplay Format". If you select that option
                                          the formatter knows (or guesses) what you want it to do.

                                          int. kitchen -- day
                                          JOHN chases a RAT.
                                          JOHN
                                          Damn rat.
                                          RAT
                                          (disgusted)
                                          Damn John.

                                          For example: This will format properly when you paste into the script
                                          formatter. It knows to capitalize the Scene Header INT. KITCHEN --
                                          DAY, based on the beginning, "int." It knows that John chases... is
                                          an action paragraph. It knows JOHN and RAT are a character names,
                                          based on the fact that they are all in upper case. It knows
                                          that "Damn rat." is dialogue because it follows a character name. It
                                          knows that (disgusted) is a Parenthetical, because it follows a
                                          character name and it's in parentheses.

                                          So pasting the above into Movie Magic Screenwriter will give you a
                                          correctly formatted script -- including position from the left, right
                                          and all the carriage returns it needs. (Maybe I'm making this harder
                                          than it needs to be.)

                                          I am sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase on the centering
                                          thing.

> [...]
                                          > C) Now do ESC M (escape char followed by capital M) and your
                                          > pScriptPad will open. A couple of lines down from the top put in
                                          the
                                          > pScript that Jose gave you
                                          >
                                          > {Teikei::/&daLaunch[@@Teikei DA@@]}
                                          >
                                          > This is programming code, so it must be exactly as written to
                                          work.
                                          > There are no spaces between any of the characters except between
                                          > Teikei and DA.
                                          > Close pScriptPad (tap the OK button, or key in ESC o).
                                          >
                                          > D) Open a pedit memo (edit view). Do ESC & to open the pScript
                                          > dialog. Type in an upper case T (first letter of Teikei, the name
                                          of
                                          > your pScript, you have only one pScript so no ambiguity) and then
                                          type
                                          > either a colon ":", or the letter "d" for "do it", and your

                                          Thanks again, John. I'll try to dig into it and see how far I can
                                          get. (I am using pEditPro.)

                                          ---
                                          Dale
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 29, 2008
                                            Quoting daleblizz <daleblizz@...>:

                                            > int. kitchen -- day
                                            > JOHN chases a RAT.
                                            > JOHN
                                            > Damn rat.
                                            > RAT
                                            > (disgusted)
                                            > Damn John.

                                            How did you know?? (signed, John).....

                                            > I am sorry if I led you on a wild goose chase on the centering
                                            > thing.

                                            Wild rat chase, man. Gotta keep your menagerie straight. Not a
                                            problem, I love futzing with stuff like this.

                                            > Thanks again, John. I'll try to dig into it and see how far I can
                                            > get. (I am using pEditPro.)

                                            Yeah. Kidding aside -- you should do the pedit ESC/pScript part
                                            asap. It is easy even if the instructions look a little foreboding,
                                            and once you see how it works you'll love it. The payoff of doing the
                                            Teikei pScript setup is that once it's done, it will take 4 quick
                                            keystrokes to open TeikeiDA. Assuming your ESC character is ` , you
                                            key the sequence `&T: and TeikeiDA is open, so long as you do so
                                            while in peditPro.