off topic - computer dummies and computers

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
      Hi Guys:

      I am sure you have friends and relatives who fit the description: total
      computer dummy who has a computer but has no live-in help to take care of
      simple tasks such as deleting trash, or rebooting the computer when it
      freezes, or to install OS upgrades, or to connect the printer, or to connect
      to the cable box, etc.

      Do you have any practical advice how to deal with such situations? I need
      Mac-specific (intel Mac Book) advice.

      It is not exactly practical for me to fly to Europe every time when my
      sister's computer needs a massage.

      Happy post-Thanksgiving and pre-Various-Upcoming-Holidays.

      All=my=best, Paul
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
        Hi Paul -

        > Do you have any practical advice how to deal with such situations? I need
        > Mac-specific (intel Mac Book) advice.

        Perhaps she could hire a local student, on retainer for prn (i.e.
        as needed) help ?? If she's in a university town I bet you have math
        connections who could advise on a knowledgeable and trustworthy person.

        ~ John
      • Steve Kunkel
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
          Also, there's always old fashioned paper how-to books... Macs for
          Beginners, etc. :o)

          --
          Steve:Message = "End"
          ~ ~ ~ ><))))*> ~ ~ ~ ><))))*> ~ ~

        • Paolo Amoroso
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
            On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

            > Do you have any practical advice how to deal with such situations? I need
            > Mac-specific (intel Mac Book) advice.
            >
            > It is not exactly practical for me to fly to Europe every time when my
            > sister's computer needs a massage.

            You may try remote assistance by desktop sharing with Fog Creek
            Copilot, which looks like an easy tool but never used myself:

            https://www.copilot.com

            Paolo
            --
            Avventure Planetarie - http://avventureplanetarie.blogspot.com
          • Nelson Ferreira
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 2008
              On Nov 29, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Paul Nevai wrote:

              > Hi Guys:
              >
              > I am sure you have friends and relatives who fit the description:
              > total
              > computer dummy who has a computer but has no live-in help to take
              > care of
              > simple tasks such as deleting trash, or rebooting the computer when it
              > freezes, or to install OS upgrades, or to connect the printer, or
              > to connect
              > to the cable box, etc.
              >
              > Do you have any practical advice how to deal with such situations?
              > I need
              > Mac-specific (intel Mac Book) advice.

              For these situations I tend to use some remote assistance software.
              Of course this needs at least a working internet connection..

              One of the easiest to get going is https://www.copilot.com/

              Another option is to use VNC. Take a look here:
              http://macapper.com/2007/03/19/vnc-remote-desktop-for-free/

              Best regards,

              Nelson
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2008
                Hi Guys:

                Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, only JohnM's advice would work (hire a
                local student). I don't think you understood what computer dummy really means
                although I bet that many older computer users are like that. E.g., VNC will
                neither reboot a crashed computer nor will it plug in the backup hard disk.
                It could help in other circumstances thought such as when a window disappears
                (was shrunken but the user thinks it went to lalaland).

                I even know at least one member of the US National Academy of Sciences who is
                unable to respond privately to an e-mail (and hits the "respond to all" even
                when the message is supposed to be private).

                All=my=best, Paul