Re: [peditors] LaunchTool and pListTool

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 14, 2008
      Quoting Lisa Hetherington <gerry.lisa@...>:

      > I set the pattern to long.
      > All 3 hard buttons are checked for all 3 hold n holds I am using. if there
      > is nothing set up for a particular button on a particular hold n hold, it is
      > set to "no special action"
      > For the 3rd button, I have 2 things set up (open My Bible, open Address
      > Book) then if I let go after the 2nd item, then my Memo app opens, (This is
      > not happening for my Datebook hard button, which I have set up to run the DJ
      > script...DateBk opens with a quick short press)
      >
      > (sigh)
      >
      > ..Lisa

      That all looks correct. Why the sigh? Do you mean the memo app opens
      if you let up after scrolling through the two hold'n'holds (which it
      should, if that is what you have programmed for the third button in
      the Palm prefs button dialog), but not just when you press and let up
      on it? If that is the case, in the pToolSet Buttons screen look
      specifically at "press button" in press pattern, where button #3
      should say no specific action. If it says something else (like
      pMasterTool) change it. If it does say no specific action, change it
      to something else and then back to no specific action. And, check to
      be sure that in the in the Palm prefs button dialog you have memos
      selected. If you still don't get memos opening with a simple press of
      button #3 I don't know why. But, I bet you can fix it by going back
      to the pToolPrefs Buttons screen and putting the memos app in the
      "Press button" press pattern for button #3.

      ~ John
    • Lisa Hetherington
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 14, 2008

        ******
        Do you mean the memo app opens
        if you let up after scrolling through the two hold'n'holds (which it
        should, if that is what you have programmed for the third button in
        the Palm prefs button dialog), but not just when you press and let up
        on it?
        ****
        Yes this is what happens.

        I checked Palm Prefs...it's good..the hard button is configured to open my
        memo app. I have used it this way for a long time.
        Button #3 said no specific action for hold n hold #3 but I changed it to
        something else and back again anyway.
        It didn't help
        Oh, OK...set hold n hold #3 to open the memo app...good idea. I set up hold
        n hold #1 to open the memo app, #2 for My Bible, and #3 for Address Book.
        That works fine to open the memo app. Once in my memo app, pressing on the
        hard button should scroll through all the categories you have set up in the
        app. And it has worked just fine since I have had the app. Still, though,
        when I press the button builtinpMasterT is opening up.

        Should I clear all that pToolSet stuff from that hard button and start
        again, maybe?

        ...Lisa

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 2008
          Quoting Lisa Hetherington <gerry.lisa@...>:

          > ******
          > Do you mean the memo app opens
          > if you let up after scrolling through the two hold'n'holds (which it
          > should, if that is what you have programmed for the third button in
          > the Palm prefs button dialog), but not just when you press and let up
          > on it?
          > ****
          > Yes this is what happens.
          >
          > I checked Palm Prefs...it's good..the hard button is configured to open my
          > memo app. I have used it this way for a long time.
          > Button #3 said no specific action for hold n hold #3 but I changed it to
          > something else and back again anyway.
          > It didn't help
          > Oh, OK...set hold n hold #3 to open the memo app...good idea. I set up hold
          > n hold #1 to open the memo app, #2 for My Bible, and #3 for Address Book.
          > That works fine to open the memo app. Once in my memo app, pressing on the
          > hard button should scroll through all the categories you have set up in the
          > app. And it has worked just fine since I have had the app. Still, though,
          > when I press the button builtinpMasterT is opening up.
          >
          > Should I clear all that pToolSet stuff from that hard button and start
          > again, maybe?

          Yes, clear and start over. But - reading the above, it appears to
          me that you are not understanding one concept. Several times I have
          mentioned the first item in the "press pattern" list in the pToolSet
          buttons screen, which is *not* a hold'n'hold, it is "press button".
          That's not a heading for that list, it is a button action, that which
          happens if you just press and let up on the button without holding it.
          Open the "press pattern" list and tap/select "press button" and you
          should see "no special action" after all 4 buttons. If there's
          anything else, change it to no special action. When you have done
          that, that means no special action *by pToolSet*, so you'll get what
          you have set in Palm prefs when you just press and let up. So a press
          and release on your memos app button #3 should give you memos. You
          don't have to program it in in the pToolPrefs buttons, that's what you
          have done by making the "press button" set to no special action. Now
          go through the hold'n'holds, #1, #2, #3, and assign whatever you want.
          Now for each button, in the selection for whatever the next
          hold'n'hold is after the last one you have made a specific assignment
          for (if you have used through h'n'h#3, then do this for h'n'h #4,
          etc), set that to "cancel all actions" (third from top on list). Now,
          once you have it set this way, what will happen is -

          1)Button press and release runs the Palm prefs assigned app
          2)Hold'n'hold #1 runs that assignment, h'n'h#2 that one, etc. You get
          whatever app has it's name showing in the message when you let up on
          the hold.
          3)When you have scrolled through all the assigned holds for that
          button you will see the message "button press has been cancelled".
          When you let up you will still be in the same screen as before you
          pressed the button. So, if you miss the item you wanted, you can
          start again. But set up this way, a simple press-and-release with no
          hold will always give you the regularly assigned app for that button,
          *not any* of the pToolSet assigned items.

          Now I'm off for the rest of the day -

          ~ John
        • Lisa Hetherington
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 2008
            On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 4:52 PM, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > for (if you have used through h'n'h#3, then do this for h'n'h #4,
            > etc), set that to "cancel all actions" (third from top on list). Now,
            > once you have it set this way, what will happen is -
            >
            > 1)Button press and release runs the Palm prefs assigned app
            > 2)Hold'n'hold #1 runs that assignment, h'n'h#2 that one, etc. You get
            > whatever app has it's name showing in the message when you let up on
            > the hold.
            > 3)When you have scrolled through all the assigned holds for that
            > button you will see the message "button press has been cancelled".
            > When you let up you will still be in the same screen as before you
            > pressed the button. So, if you miss the item you wanted, you can
            > start again. But set up this way, a simple press-and-release with no
            > hold will always give you the regularly assigned app for that button,
            > *not any* of the pToolSet assigned items.

            John,

            You rock!!
            You were so right I was not getting that concept of the press button at the
            top of the list before the hold n hold.
            I did all that you said and everything is perfect!!
            Did not have to clear everything from that button.

            Quick question:
            If I happen to use hold n hold #4, then should go to #5 and set all buttons
            to cancel all actions? And so on??
            Whatever my last hnh is, make the next one "cancel all actions"?

            **** Now I'm off for the rest of the day -
            You earned it! Thank you so much!!

            ...Lisa

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2008
              Quoting Lisa Hetherington <gerry.lisa@...>:

              > You rock!!
              > You were so right I was not getting that concept of the press button at the
              > top of the list before the hold n hold.
              > I did all that you said and everything is perfect!!
              > Did not have to clear everything from that button.

              Great. You're all set now.

              > Quick question:
              > If I happen to use hold n hold #4, then should go to #5 and set all buttons
              > to cancel all actions? And so on??
              > Whatever my last hnh is, make the next one "cancel all actions"?

              Yup, that's the plan.

              I posted a little discussion about ESC last night that might help you also.

              > Thank you so much!!

              You are most welcome.
              cheers, John