Re: [peditors] RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
      Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

      > I don't have pToolSet installed at all. I do have Enable Statistics
      > set in pedit
      > edit-view prefs. In the pedit Options menu, I don't see anything about
      > statistics.
      >
      > Mark

      You have to be in edit mode. Then menu/Op, and you should see
      "Stats on|off Ey".

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
        Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

        > I don't have pToolSet installed at all.
        <<snip>>

        > Mark

        OK. I turned off pToolSet on my TX. With the two statistics prefs
        mentioned earlier turned on in peditPro v8.13, in edit view tapping
        anywhere in the header to left of the little pixel dot, including
        right up to the screen border corner, toggles the stats on and off.
        Doing the same in list view toggles between pedit 04 (!m32Memos) and
        pedit 32 (!p32Memos). I cannot launch the built-in Palm memos with
        *any* kind of screen tap.

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
          Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

          > Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
          >

          >> I don't have pToolSet installed at all. I do have Enable Statistics
          >> set in pedit
          >> edit-view prefs. In the pedit Options menu, I don't see anything about
          >> statistics.
          >>
          >> Mark
          >
          > You have to be in edit mode. Then menu/Op, and you should see
          > "Stats on|off Ey".
          >
          > ~ John

          Mark, I just realized that I've always misunderstood this menu item.
          It's not a preference, it's a *toggle*. It does the same thing that
          the screen tap does (should do). So, while in edit view, memo open,
          and with the normal !m32 header, if you tap this "stats on|off" menu
          item, the header should change to the statistics. If you then select
          it again it should change back to the normal header, etc., etc. S0,
          you can use this to test if the statistics header works for you with
          the menu item but not with the tap. If that is the case, and you
          don't have any kind of screen tap software running, you must have some
          anomalous glitch happening. It's definitely not a "feature" of pedit.
          If this is the case, see what happens with the screen tap with the
          TX in warm reset mode. The pedit stats tap toggle works in warm reset
          mode, but background apps, "hacks" will be off.

          ~ John
        • Mark A. Mandel
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
            # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
            # Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:39 pm (PDT)
            #
            # Mark, I just realized that I've always misunderstood this menu item.
            # It's not a preference, it's a *toggle*. It does the same thing that
            # the screen tap does (should do). So, while in edit view, memo open,
            # and with the normal !m32 header, if you tap this "stats on|off" menu
            # item, the header should change to the statistics. If you then select
            # it again it should change back to the normal header, etc., etc. S0,
            # you can use this to test if the statistics header works for you with
            # the menu item but not with the tap.

            Yes, it does that for me. The statistics toggle works with
            * menu|Op|Stats on/off
            * the equivalent Graffiti2 input, command-Y
            * the equivalent "Ey", where "E" stands for the user-designated pedit
            "escape/command stroke"; I use ~
            * the tap in the leftmost eighth of the header bar, left of the pixel dot

            But if I tap at the very edge of the screen, either
            - the top edge anywhere left of the "m" in "!m32" or
            - the left edge anywhere above the level of the top of the "m"
            then I'm thrown into the Palm builtin Memo App.

            I should mention that this is a replacement digitizer screen. The original
            became unusable last fall. A friend recommended that I contact Chris Short
            <ips@...> in Mankato, Minnesota, and he replaced the plastic with a
            new aftermarket glass digitizer. I give him very high marks for service and
            support and recommend him without reservation.

            # If that is the case, and you
            # don't have any kind of screen tap software running, you must have some
            # anomalous glitch happening. It's definitely not a "feature" of pedit.
            # If this is the case, see what happens with the screen tap with the
            # TX in warm reset mode. The pedit stats tap toggle works in warm reset
            # mode, but background apps, "hacks" will be off.

            Please jog my memory on "warm reset mode". I'm (too much) used to doing pin
            resets to be familiar with any other kind.

            m a m
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
              Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

              > Yes, it does that for me. The statistics toggle works with
              > * menu|Op|Stats on/off
              > * the equivalent Graffiti2 input, command-Y
              > * the equivalent "Ey", where "E" stands for the user-designated pedit
              > "escape/command stroke"; I use ~
              > * the tap in the leftmost eighth of the header bar, left of the pixel dot
              >
              > But if I tap at the very edge of the screen, either
              > - the top edge anywhere left of the "m" in "!m32" or
              > - the left edge anywhere above the level of the top of the "m"
              > then I'm thrown into the Palm builtin Memo App.

              OK, good. Not a peditPro problem. Most likely some extension/hack
              type item, or....

              > I should mention that this is a replacement digitizer screen.

              it could be a glitch related to the digitizer, though I'm not sure how.

              > Please jog my memory on "warm reset mode". I'm (too much) used to doing pin
              > resets to be familiar with any other kind.

              OK. Warm reset is both useful and harmless, will not alter your
              data. It turns of all extensions/hacks, while leaving normal apps
              (Palm and third-party) running. With the TX off, hold the 5-way-up
              button down while doing a pin reset. Kepp holding the up button in
              after you've pinned the reset button, and the Palm logo screen will
              appear. Let up on the up button. The reset will complete, faster
              than a normal pin reset, and you'll see on the TX that the wifi button
              on the control bar is now blacked out. You're in warm reset mode.
              Now try the screen tap. If it does not generate the Memos app, your
              problem is some extension/hack item. If the problem happens while you
              are in warm reset I have no idea what's going on, but I'm pretty sure
              it's not pedit. However, you could try deleting pedit ane
              reinstalling it. To get out of warm mode, back to normal, just do an
              ordinary pin reset.

              ~ John
            • Mark A. Mandel
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 26, 2008
                #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS
                #
                # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley

                # OK, good. Not a peditPro problem. Most likely some extension/hack
                # type item, or....

                # OK. Warm reset is both useful and harmless, will not alter your
                # data. It turns of all extensions/hacks, while leaving normal apps
                # (Palm and third-party) running. With the TX off, hold the 5-way-up
                # button down while doing a pin reset. Kepp holding the up button in
                # after you've pinned the reset button, and the Palm logo screen will
                # appear. Let up on the up button. The reset will complete, faster
                # than a normal pin reset, and you'll see on the TX that the wifi button
                # on the control bar is now blacked out. You're in warm reset mode.

                OK, did that. Had to try a few times till I could coordinate my left hand on the
                5-way, right hand on the pin, and heels of both hands holding the TX! Maybe I
                was too fast or slow the second try, but the third time, waiting for the logo to
                change from color to greyscale before releasing the "up", I got the warm reset.

                # Now try the screen tap. If it does not generate the Memos app, your
                # problem is some extension/hack item. If the problem happens while you
                # are in warm reset I have no idea what's going on, but I'm pretty sure
                # it's not pedit. However, you could try deleting pedit ane
                # reinstalling it. To get out of warm mode, back to normal, just do an
                # ordinary pin reset.

                (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.

                Mark A. Mandel
                The Filker With No Nickname
                http://filk.cracksandshards.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 26, 2008
                  Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

                  > (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.

                  What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                  reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                  launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 26, 2008
                    Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

                    > Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
                    >

                    >> (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.
                    >
                    > What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                    > reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                    > launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??

                    addendum- particularly in some other active text field.

                    ~ John
                  • Mark A. Mandel
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27, 2008
                      #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS
                      #
                      # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
                      #
                      # Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 pm (PDT)
                      #
                      # Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
                      #
                      # > (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.
                      #
                      # What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                      # reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                      # launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??
                      #
                      # ~ John

                      DateBk5: switches to ToDo list, which is the split-screen setting, and also the
                      setting for using the "contacts" physical button when in DateBk5.

                      Other apps: brings up the menu as if I'd tapped in the title bar.

                      +/- entry field doesn't matter as far as I've tested.

                      m a m
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27, 2008
                        Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

                        > #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS
                        > #
                        > # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
                        > #
                        > # Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 pm (PDT)
                        > #
                        > # Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
                        > #
                        > # > (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.
                        > #
                        > # What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                        > # reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                        > # launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??
                        > #
                        > # ~ John
                        >
                        > DateBk5: switches to ToDo list, which is the split-screen setting,
                        > and also the
                        > setting for using the "contacts" physical button when in DateBk5.
                        >
                        > Other apps: brings up the menu as if I'd tapped in the title bar.
                        >
                        > +/- entry field doesn't matter as far as I've tested.
                        >
                        > m a m

                        OK, that's all normal. What happens if you do the tap while in pedit
                        edit view and get the memos app, and then do the tap again while in
                        the memos app?

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 28, 2008
                          Hi Mark and John:

                          On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:34:45AM -0400, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
                          > #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS

                          Search for "quickLauncher" in pedit's manual.

                          #############################################################################
                          Otherwise, that is, if "»" is not displayed in bold, then a buttonShifted tap
                          on the "»" button activates the quickLauncher.

                          The quickLauncher takes you to your most recently visited pedit friendly
                          application [if there is such an application already].

                          The quickLauncher can also be invoked by "ESC 3".

                          Another way of activating quickLauncher really fast is by tapping the upper
                          left corner of the title bar in EditView [a 5*5 pixel area].
                          #############################################################################

                          All=my=best, Paul
                        • Mark A. Mandel
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 28, 2008
                            On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Paul Nevai wrote:

                            #Search for "quickLauncher" in pedit's manual.
                            #Otherwise, that is, if "»" is not displayed in bold, then a buttonShifted tap
                            #on the "»" button activates the quickLauncher.
                            #
                            #The quickLauncher takes you to your most recently visited pedit friendly
                            #application [if there is such an application already].
                            #
                            #The quickLauncher can also be invoked by "ESC 3".
                            #
                            #Another way of activating quickLauncher really fast is by tapping the upper
                            #left corner of the title bar in EditView [a 5*5 pixel area].

                            Ah HA, that explains it! Thanks, Paul, as always.

                            How come this is happening for me and not for John? I don't need or want this
                            functionality, and it's all too easy to activate unintentionally. Is there a way
                            to disable the quickLauncher?

                            Since even John, who is many times more familiar with the program and the manual
                            than I am, didn't know about this, could we possibly have a map of the
                            (potentially) active areas on the screen, keyed/linked to the places in the
                            manual where they're described? (Sort of like a reverse phone book.)
                            Specifically the ones that don't announce themselves explicitly, like buttons.
                            In EditView that would include

                            - quickLauncher area
                            - buttonShift area
                            - alternate buttonShift area (with Graffiti2 support)
                            - statistics toggle area *
                            - the title bar itself (yes, it's Palm standard, but it can't hurt to
                            include it and there are always beginners)

                            ... and probably other things I don't know or have forgotten about

                            * only when activated

                            Best,
                            Mark

                          • Mark A. Mandel
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 28, 2008
                              # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
                              #
                              # OK, that's all normal. What happens if you do the tap while in pedit
                              # edit view and get the memos app, and then do the tap again while in
                              # the memos app?

                              The menu comes up. It doesn't recognize the extreme corner as anything special.

                              -- Mark