RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS

  • Mark A. Mandel
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
      # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
      #
      # Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:18 pm (PDT)
      #
      # Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
      #
      # > On my Palm TX, when I am in Edit Mode in pedit and tap on the
      # > extreme upper left
      # > corner of the screen, instead of toggling the titlebar statistics
      # it
      # > throws me
      # > into the Palm builtin Memos app (which of course is far inferior
      # to pedit),
      # > editing the same memo. I can't go back the same way: I have to
      # press the hard
      # > button I've assigned to pedit.
      #
      # Do you by any chance have the Palm memos app mapped to the upper
      # left, or the left upper, screen borders for screen taps with
      # pToolSet
      # pMasterTool? The statistics tap should be *within the header bar*,
      # not on the edge, just to the left of the little pixel dot under the
      # bottom edge of the header bar. Also, do you have "enable
      # statistics..." checked on in pedit edit-view prefs, and turned on
      # in
      # menu/Op/stats on|off ?
      #
      # ~ John

      I don't have pToolSet installed at all. I do have Enable Statistics set in pedit
      edit-view prefs. In the pedit Options menu, I don't see anything about
      statistics.

      Mark
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
        Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

        > I don't have pToolSet installed at all. I do have Enable Statistics
        > set in pedit
        > edit-view prefs. In the pedit Options menu, I don't see anything about
        > statistics.
        >
        > Mark

        You have to be in edit mode. Then menu/Op, and you should see
        "Stats on|off Ey".

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
          Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

          > I don't have pToolSet installed at all.
          <<snip>>

          > Mark

          OK. I turned off pToolSet on my TX. With the two statistics prefs
          mentioned earlier turned on in peditPro v8.13, in edit view tapping
          anywhere in the header to left of the little pixel dot, including
          right up to the screen border corner, toggles the stats on and off.
          Doing the same in list view toggles between pedit 04 (!m32Memos) and
          pedit 32 (!p32Memos). I cannot launch the built-in Palm memos with
          *any* kind of screen tap.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 22, 2008
            Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

            > Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
            >

            >> I don't have pToolSet installed at all. I do have Enable Statistics
            >> set in pedit
            >> edit-view prefs. In the pedit Options menu, I don't see anything about
            >> statistics.
            >>
            >> Mark
            >
            > You have to be in edit mode. Then menu/Op, and you should see
            > "Stats on|off Ey".
            >
            > ~ John

            Mark, I just realized that I've always misunderstood this menu item.
            It's not a preference, it's a *toggle*. It does the same thing that
            the screen tap does (should do). So, while in edit view, memo open,
            and with the normal !m32 header, if you tap this "stats on|off" menu
            item, the header should change to the statistics. If you then select
            it again it should change back to the normal header, etc., etc. S0,
            you can use this to test if the statistics header works for you with
            the menu item but not with the tap. If that is the case, and you
            don't have any kind of screen tap software running, you must have some
            anomalous glitch happening. It's definitely not a "feature" of pedit.
            If this is the case, see what happens with the screen tap with the
            TX in warm reset mode. The pedit stats tap toggle works in warm reset
            mode, but background apps, "hacks" will be off.

            ~ John
          • Mark A. Mandel
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
              # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
              # Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:39 pm (PDT)
              #
              # Mark, I just realized that I've always misunderstood this menu item.
              # It's not a preference, it's a *toggle*. It does the same thing that
              # the screen tap does (should do). So, while in edit view, memo open,
              # and with the normal !m32 header, if you tap this "stats on|off" menu
              # item, the header should change to the statistics. If you then select
              # it again it should change back to the normal header, etc., etc. S0,
              # you can use this to test if the statistics header works for you with
              # the menu item but not with the tap.

              Yes, it does that for me. The statistics toggle works with
              * menu|Op|Stats on/off
              * the equivalent Graffiti2 input, command-Y
              * the equivalent "Ey", where "E" stands for the user-designated pedit
              "escape/command stroke"; I use ~
              * the tap in the leftmost eighth of the header bar, left of the pixel dot

              But if I tap at the very edge of the screen, either
              - the top edge anywhere left of the "m" in "!m32" or
              - the left edge anywhere above the level of the top of the "m"
              then I'm thrown into the Palm builtin Memo App.

              I should mention that this is a replacement digitizer screen. The original
              became unusable last fall. A friend recommended that I contact Chris Short
              <ips@...> in Mankato, Minnesota, and he replaced the plastic with a
              new aftermarket glass digitizer. I give him very high marks for service and
              support and recommend him without reservation.

              # If that is the case, and you
              # don't have any kind of screen tap software running, you must have some
              # anomalous glitch happening. It's definitely not a "feature" of pedit.
              # If this is the case, see what happens with the screen tap with the
              # TX in warm reset mode. The pedit stats tap toggle works in warm reset
              # mode, but background apps, "hacks" will be off.

              Please jog my memory on "warm reset mode". I'm (too much) used to doing pin
              resets to be familiar with any other kind.

              m a m
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 25, 2008
                Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

                > Yes, it does that for me. The statistics toggle works with
                > * menu|Op|Stats on/off
                > * the equivalent Graffiti2 input, command-Y
                > * the equivalent "Ey", where "E" stands for the user-designated pedit
                > "escape/command stroke"; I use ~
                > * the tap in the leftmost eighth of the header bar, left of the pixel dot
                >
                > But if I tap at the very edge of the screen, either
                > - the top edge anywhere left of the "m" in "!m32" or
                > - the left edge anywhere above the level of the top of the "m"
                > then I'm thrown into the Palm builtin Memo App.

                OK, good. Not a peditPro problem. Most likely some extension/hack
                type item, or....

                > I should mention that this is a replacement digitizer screen.

                it could be a glitch related to the digitizer, though I'm not sure how.

                > Please jog my memory on "warm reset mode". I'm (too much) used to doing pin
                > resets to be familiar with any other kind.

                OK. Warm reset is both useful and harmless, will not alter your
                data. It turns of all extensions/hacks, while leaving normal apps
                (Palm and third-party) running. With the TX off, hold the 5-way-up
                button down while doing a pin reset. Kepp holding the up button in
                after you've pinned the reset button, and the Palm logo screen will
                appear. Let up on the up button. The reset will complete, faster
                than a normal pin reset, and you'll see on the TX that the wifi button
                on the control bar is now blacked out. You're in warm reset mode.
                Now try the screen tap. If it does not generate the Memos app, your
                problem is some extension/hack item. If the problem happens while you
                are in warm reset I have no idea what's going on, but I'm pretty sure
                it's not pedit. However, you could try deleting pedit ane
                reinstalling it. To get out of warm mode, back to normal, just do an
                ordinary pin reset.

                ~ John
              • Mark A. Mandel
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 26, 2008
                  #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS
                  #
                  # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley

                  # OK, good. Not a peditPro problem. Most likely some extension/hack
                  # type item, or....

                  # OK. Warm reset is both useful and harmless, will not alter your
                  # data. It turns of all extensions/hacks, while leaving normal apps
                  # (Palm and third-party) running. With the TX off, hold the 5-way-up
                  # button down while doing a pin reset. Kepp holding the up button in
                  # after you've pinned the reset button, and the Palm logo screen will
                  # appear. Let up on the up button. The reset will complete, faster
                  # than a normal pin reset, and you'll see on the TX that the wifi button
                  # on the control bar is now blacked out. You're in warm reset mode.

                  OK, did that. Had to try a few times till I could coordinate my left hand on the
                  5-way, right hand on the pin, and heels of both hands holding the TX! Maybe I
                  was too fast or slow the second try, but the third time, waiting for the logo to
                  change from color to greyscale before releasing the "up", I got the warm reset.

                  # Now try the screen tap. If it does not generate the Memos app, your
                  # problem is some extension/hack item. If the problem happens while you
                  # are in warm reset I have no idea what's going on, but I'm pretty sure
                  # it's not pedit. However, you could try deleting pedit ane
                  # reinstalling it. To get out of warm mode, back to normal, just do an
                  # ordinary pin reset.

                  (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.

                  Mark A. Mandel
                  The Filker With No Nickname
                  http://filk.cracksandshards.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 26, 2008
                    Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

                    > (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.

                    What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                    reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                    launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 26, 2008
                      Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

                      > Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
                      >

                      >> (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.
                      >
                      > What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                      > reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                      > launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??

                      addendum- particularly in some other active text field.

                      ~ John
                    • Mark A. Mandel
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27, 2008
                        #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS
                        #
                        # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
                        #
                        # Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 pm (PDT)
                        #
                        # Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
                        #
                        # > (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.
                        #
                        # What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                        # reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                        # launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??
                        #
                        # ~ John

                        DateBk5: switches to ToDo list, which is the split-screen setting, and also the
                        setting for using the "contacts" physical button when in DateBk5.

                        Other apps: brings up the menu as if I'd tapped in the title bar.

                        +/- entry field doesn't matter as far as I've tested.

                        m a m
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 27, 2008
                          Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:

                          > #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS
                          > #
                          > # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
                          > #
                          > # Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 pm (PDT)
                          > #
                          > # Quoting "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...>:
                          > #
                          > # > (Sigh.) It still happens. I'll try delete-reinstall pedit.
                          > #
                          > # What happens, if anything, if you do the same screen tap (not in warm
                          > # reset, just normal) while in some other app, say calendar or datebk,
                          > # launcher, tasks/todos, other third party ??
                          > #
                          > # ~ John
                          >
                          > DateBk5: switches to ToDo list, which is the split-screen setting,
                          > and also the
                          > setting for using the "contacts" physical button when in DateBk5.
                          >
                          > Other apps: brings up the menu as if I'd tapped in the title bar.
                          >
                          > +/- entry field doesn't matter as far as I've tested.
                          >
                          > m a m

                          OK, that's all normal. What happens if you do the tap while in pedit
                          edit view and get the memos app, and then do the tap again while in
                          the memos app?

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 28, 2008
                            Hi Mark and John:

                            On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 11:34:45AM -0400, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
                            > #RE: TOP-LEFT TAP IN EDIT MODE SWITCHES TO MEMOS

                            Search for "quickLauncher" in pedit's manual.

                            #############################################################################
                            Otherwise, that is, if "»" is not displayed in bold, then a buttonShifted tap
                            on the "»" button activates the quickLauncher.

                            The quickLauncher takes you to your most recently visited pedit friendly
                            application [if there is such an application already].

                            The quickLauncher can also be invoked by "ESC 3".

                            Another way of activating quickLauncher really fast is by tapping the upper
                            left corner of the title bar in EditView [a 5*5 pixel area].
                            #############################################################################

                            All=my=best, Paul
                          • Mark A. Mandel
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 28, 2008
                              On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Paul Nevai wrote:

                              #Search for "quickLauncher" in pedit's manual.
                              #Otherwise, that is, if "»" is not displayed in bold, then a buttonShifted tap
                              #on the "»" button activates the quickLauncher.
                              #
                              #The quickLauncher takes you to your most recently visited pedit friendly
                              #application [if there is such an application already].
                              #
                              #The quickLauncher can also be invoked by "ESC 3".
                              #
                              #Another way of activating quickLauncher really fast is by tapping the upper
                              #left corner of the title bar in EditView [a 5*5 pixel area].

                              Ah HA, that explains it! Thanks, Paul, as always.

                              How come this is happening for me and not for John? I don't need or want this
                              functionality, and it's all too easy to activate unintentionally. Is there a way
                              to disable the quickLauncher?

                              Since even John, who is many times more familiar with the program and the manual
                              than I am, didn't know about this, could we possibly have a map of the
                              (potentially) active areas on the screen, keyed/linked to the places in the
                              manual where they're described? (Sort of like a reverse phone book.)
                              Specifically the ones that don't announce themselves explicitly, like buttons.
                              In EditView that would include

                              - quickLauncher area
                              - buttonShift area
                              - alternate buttonShift area (with Graffiti2 support)
                              - statistics toggle area *
                              - the title bar itself (yes, it's Palm standard, but it can't hurt to
                              include it and there are always beginners)

                              ... and probably other things I don't know or have forgotten about

                              * only when activated

                              Best,
                              Mark

                            • Mark A. Mandel
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 28, 2008
                                # Posted by: "John Markley" jmmjr@... jhnmarkley
                                #
                                # OK, that's all normal. What happens if you do the tap while in pedit
                                # edit view and get the memos app, and then do the tap again while in
                                # the memos app?

                                The menu comes up. It doesn't recognize the extreme corner as anything special.

                                -- Mark