unlocked Palm Centro - off topic

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi Guys:

      I know very little of cellphones and nothing of unlocked ones.

      QUESTION. If I buy an unlocked Palm Centro, then can I just buy a SIM card in
      Europe and use it happily in Europe or do I need a special unlocked cell
      phone? Specific countries: Hungary, Germany, Spain, France, The
      Netherlands, and Italy.

      FROM THE BROCHURE. GSM(R)/GPRS/EDGE class 10 radio, quad band world phone
      (850/900/1800/1900MHz)

      Also

      http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/centro/specs.html

      The info is kind of urgent. All=my=best, Paul
    • Nelson Ferreira
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
        Yes. You can use it in any GSM network with any SIM card.

        ATT unlocked my 650 after 6 months of good standing (back in 06 when still called Cingular) and I've used it with local SIMs in Europe and Brazil.
        In Brazil I would have to occasionally force the proper pair of freq by manually searching the network.
        US: 850/1900 BR:1800 EU:900/1800

        -----------------------
        Sent from my Treo(r) smartphone

        >I know very little of cellphones and nothing of unlocked ones.
        >
        >QUESTION. If I buy an unlocked Palm Centro, then can I just buy a SIM card in Europe and use it happily in Europe or do I need a special unlocked cell phone? Specific countries: Hungary, Germany, Spain, France, The
        >Netherlands, and Italy.
        >
        >FROM THE BROCHURE. GSM(R)/GPRS/EDGE class 10 radio, quad band world phone
        >(850/900/1800/1900MHz)
        >
        >Also
        >
        > http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/centro/specs.html
        >
        >The info is kind of urgent. All=my=best, Paul
        >
        >------------------------------------

      • Jon Hind
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
          be aware of roaming charges. thanks to the EU they are cheaper though.
          the same provider will treat you as a roamer in other countries.

          I have seen pan european sims advertised but have no experience.

          bon viaggo
          Jon

          --
          Jon
        • Nelson Ferreira
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
            Indeed. However if you are only visiting one country your best deal is to buy a prepaid SIM when you get there.

            Even recharging the credits is usually painless as the post offices usually have agreements with the cell providers.
            -----------------------

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
              Thanks guys for the advice. I ended up ordering an unlocked Centro and an
              Explorer SIM Card

              http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?PRODUCT_ID=MSIM-EX01

              I expect both of them by Monday. /Paul
            • John Messeder
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
                It'll be interesting for us other travelers to know how it works for
                you. I used a different company in France a couple years ago and it
                worked great in my 650. I haven't had an opportunity to use an overseas
                SIM in my 680 (tho some say the trip to New Orleans last week would have
                been ...)