Re: [peditors] Query

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
      > autopedit doesnt seem to work in nexter (the built in sms application) but
      > I invoke pedittool by mapping it to a hard key.

      I use it with a [right thumb] tap in the bottom right corner of the screen.
      No autoPeditTool in SMS. /Paul
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
        On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:48 AM, jmarkevich <jmarkevich@...> wrote:
        > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > My employer is getting me a laptop, and my boss said "Spec out what
        > > you need, and we'll buy one." We have a corporate deal with Dell, and
        > > I speced a Dell laptop. My boss said "Do you really want a Dell?
        > > What I recommend these days is MacBooks..." Hey, boss, if you want to
        > > buy me a MacBook, *I* won't complain. It will run Mac OS/X, WinXP,
        > > and Linux, with the right tools installed, and cover all of my bases
        > > very nicely, but I didn't want to be a like a kid in a candy store on
        > > someone else's dime.
        >
        > As a musician, I would vastly prefer a MacBook! Even if just for the
        > full 6-pin firewire port (it powers the firewire device too). It
        > folds down very compactly too. Unfortunately I have a Dell. Dells
        > are (make twisted "polite face") pretty good... but you want a Mac.

        I'm not a convert to the Cult of Mac. If my boss wants to buy me a
        MacBook laptop, cool: I'll add OS/X to the operating systems I deal
        with as a SysAdmin, and MacBooks are nice machines, but nothing I do
        requires it. I need to run XP Pro, and preferably toss CentOS on too,
        either as a dual-boot, or in a VMWare Player VM. Mostly, it's remote
        connectivity with the office using SSH or a VPN client, with MS
        Office, Outlook, and a few other things. My main want is a big
        screen. There's no such thing as enough screen real estate, and while
        I won't get the 19" monitor in 1600x1200 I run at home, or the dual
        17" monitors in 1280x1024 I have at the office, I want as close as I
        can get.

        If I were a musician or a designer, I might think differently, but I'm
        not the first, and not currently the second, so...

        > > I'm looking at other things. Right now, I like the Nokia 800 Internet
        > > Tablet and the ASUS eee as possible new additions, but the eee will
        > > wait till the new model with a gig of RAM and a 9" screen hits the
        > > streets.
        >
        > I got an n800, to replace my Palm. I love it, but it's the last thing
        > from a PDA. No PIM apps (I'm wondering what I need to do to port
        > jpilot over). Text entry is slow, for some reason. Wireless is
        > awesome. It does run Garnet using Access' GVM, with some downsides.
        > Don't put eggs in that basket until they finish their beta program and
        > announce what - if anything - they will do there.

        Reports I've seen from folks running the Access GVM on the Nokia
        indicate some issues, like no way to make it go full screen, inability
        to run apps that use external libraries, and inability to see and use
        the N800 SD cards. That latter, in particular, is a deal breaker for
        me.

        Someone reported getting KDE running on theirs, which opens the
        options a good deal, including (I believe) a decent PIM offering.

        > Here's something I wrote when I first got it:
        > http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddxgkcxf_63cnnz3fck

        Thank you. This is a very nice overview. I think I have to wipe more
        drool off of my chin, however...