Query

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 5, 2008
      {Query::/K@
      /0x49/0x74/0x27/0x73
      /0x20/0x74/0x6F/0x6F
      /0x20/0x71/0x75/0x69
      /0x65/0x74/0x2E
      /K2cA
      /&mess[$A,,200]
      /&script$[@@Query2@@]}
      {Query2::/K@
      /0x57/0x68/0x65/0x72
      /0x65/0x20/0x69/0x73
      /0x20/0x65/0x76/0x65
      /0x72/0x79/0x6F/0x6E
      /0x65/0x3F/0x3F
      /K2cB
      /&mess[$B,,200]}

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
        Hi Guys:

        > I have been wondering myself about this quietness as well. I don't want to

        I my case the explanation is simple. I am terribly busy with other urgent
        stuff now [temporarily].

        All=my=best, Paul
      • fjmancho
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
          Hi John

          I have been wondering myself about this quietness as well. I don't want to
          sound alarmist but I suspect that Palm world is quaking down in pieces and
          people moving to other enviroments. We have read in this forum in the last
          months lots of posts on this issue (by Dennis, Paul and other qualified
          members). The result is that we are not getting so many new members as we
          used to. I believe that might explain a bit the situation.

          In my case, I am not waiting for the newest divice in the market. In sptite
          of the crashes, I still plan to have my T3 for 3 or 4 years (and I will
          wellcome any helpful post in this forum). By then I will look for a good
          second hand nokia or whatever is there.

          My hope is to find Paul and his ideas ideas "there" (whatever there is that
          there). His tools have been for my dayly work the greatest help I have
          ever found for some two years now.

          And that is so truth that I willl be grateful if he reports in this forum
          about his plans if he has any.

          Regards,

          Jose

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
            Quoting Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>:

            > Hi Guys:
            >
            >> I have been wondering myself about this quietness as well. I don't want to
            >
            > I my case the explanation is simple. I am terribly busy with other urgent
            > stuff now [temporarily].
            >
            > All=my=best, Paul

            Busy is life - that's good. Glad you're ok. :)

            cheers, John
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
              Quoting fjmancho <fjmancho@...>:

              > Hi John
              >
              > I have been wondering myself about this quietness as well. I don't want to
              > sound alarmist but I suspect that Palm world is quaking down in pieces and
              > people moving to other enviroments. We have read in this forum in the last
              > months lots of posts on this issue (by Dennis, Paul and other qualified
              > members). The result is that we are not getting so many new members as we
              > used to. I believe that might explain a bit the situation.
              >

              > In my case, I am not waiting for the newest divice in the market. In sptite
              > of the crashes, I still plan to have my T3 for 3 or 4 years (and I will
              > wellcome any helpful post in this forum). By then I will look for a good
              > second hand nokia or whatever is there.
              >
              > My hope is to find Paul and his ideas ideas "there" (whatever there is that
              > there). His tools have been for my dayly work the greatest help I have
              > ever found for some two years now.
              >
              > And that is so truth that I willl be grateful if he reports in this forum
              > about his plans if he has any.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Jose

              Jose - I share both your concern and your hope.

              Regards, John
            • Steve Kunkel
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                > Quoting fjmancho <fjmancho@...>:
                >
                > > Hi John
                > >
                > > I have been wondering myself about this quietness as well.

                Steve is still here... More or less.

                My PC died during a power outage back in January, so mostly I'm only
                online when I bring my laptop home from work on the weekends and some
                evenings. My financial advisor (Mrs. Steve) says I can get another
                computer for my birthday. That's not until May though--sheesh...
                I'm going through withdrawals here!!!!

                Oh well; life goes on.

                Here in the Pacific NW it's been gloomy Winter ... Maybe things will
                pick up when the days get longer .... -steve

                --
                steve | steve | steve | steve | steve
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                  Quoting Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...>:

                  > Steve is still here... More or less.
                  >
                  > My PC died during a power outage back in January, so mostly I'm only
                  > online when I bring my laptop home from work on the weekends and some
                  > evenings. My financial advisor (Mrs. Steve) says I can get another
                  > computer for my birthday. That's not until May though--sheesh...
                  > I'm going through withdrawals here!!!!

                  Have you tried pitiful whimpering?

                  ~ John
                • Steve Kunkel
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                    > Have you tried pitiful whimpering?
                    >

                    > ~ John

                    Well heck John,

                    That was the *first* thing I did !!! Then came foot-stomping,
                    name-calling, falling on the floor in apparent convulsions, and worst
                    of all . . . logic.

                    But all to no avail. Ole' Cat Stevens would proud ... I've found me a
                    "hard-headed woman."

                    ;-)

                    --
                    steve | steve | steve | steve | steve
                  • john.messeder
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                      I've done the research. I'm ready to buy the monitor I want.
                      "Can't you wait until Christmas?"
                      I did that last year. Even stopped looking and comparing. But I've done
                      the research again, the price is real good, and it does all what I need
                      it to do.
                      "Can't you wait until Christmas?"
                      But I've got this stuff I really would like to do with the large screen.
                      "Can't you wait until ..."

                      And so it goes.

                      On 04/06/2008 at 1852 -0400
                      "Steve Kunkel" <kunkel321@...> wrote:

                      > > Have you tried pitiful whimpering?
                      > >

                      > > ~ John
                      > >

                      > Well heck John,
                      >
                      > That was the *first* thing I did !!! Then came foot-stomping,
                      > name-calling, falling on the floor in apparent convulsions, and worst
                      > of all . . . logic.
                      >
                      > But all to no avail. Ole' Cat Stevens would proud ... I've found me a
                      > "hard-headed woman."
                      >
                      > ;-)
                      >
                      > --
                      > steve | steve | steve | steve | steve

                      --

                      /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
                      table.” /
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 6, 2008
                        On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...> wrote:
                        > On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                        > > Quoting fjmancho <fjmancho@...>:
                        > >
                        > > > Hi John
                        > > >
                        > > > I have been wondering myself about this quietness as well.
                        >
                        > Steve is still here... More or less.
                        >
                        > My PC died during a power outage back in January, so mostly I'm only
                        > online when I bring my laptop home from work on the weekends and some
                        > evenings. My financial advisor (Mrs. Steve) says I can get another
                        > computer for my birthday. That's not until May though--sheesh...
                        > I'm going through withdrawals here!!!!

                        Fortunately, my PC is alive and reasonably well, though it has
                        intermittent glitches that make me think it's time to build a new
                        machine. (It has seven physical hard drives, and periodically decides
                        one or another has a problem, when in fact it doesn't.) I could use a
                        new motherboard, core duo processor, another gig of RAM...

                        My employer is getting me a laptop, and my boss said "Spec out what
                        you need, and we'll buy one." We have a corporate deal with Dell, and
                        I speced a Dell laptop. My boss said "Do you really want a Dell?
                        What I recommend these days is MacBooks..." Hey, boss, if you want to
                        buy me a MacBook, *I* won't complain. It will run Mac OS/X, WinXP,
                        and Linux, with the right tools installed, and cover all of my bases
                        very nicely, but I didn't want to be a like a kid in a candy store on
                        someone else's dime.

                        My Tapwave Zodiac still performs yeoman service as a PalmOS device.
                        I'm not interested in a TX, and don't *want* a Treo. (Treos are nice,
                        but I'm not interested in a converged device. I prefer cell phone and
                        PDA to be separate devices.)

                        I'm looking at other things. Right now, I like the Nokia 800 Internet
                        Tablet and the ASUS eee as possible new additions, but the eee will
                        wait till the new model with a gig of RAM and a 9" screen hits the
                        streets.

                        Beyond that, I'm curious about what will wind up running a flavor of
                        Google's Android OS, as well as the new Linux based OS Palm is
                        prepping. And I'm really curious to see if any device is released
                        running either that *isn't* a smartphone.

                        Meanwhile, lots of Palm devices are still out there and in use, and
                        things to keep Paul busy when he has spare time to do them.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                          Hi Guys:

                          On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:01:44PM -0400, dmccunney wrote:
                          > What I recommend these days is MacBooks..."

                          I am still with Mac G4s and G5s. I can't make the transition until I am ready
                          to reorganize my life 100%. Currently my life has been fully optimized and
                          moving to intel would require major changes.

                          > I'm not interested in a TX, and don't *want* a Treo. (Treos are nice,
                          > but I'm not interested in a converged device. I prefer cell phone and
                          > PDA to be separate devices.)

                          I used to advocate that point too. Not anymore. The Treo 755p is as close to
                          perfection as [almost] possible. When I SMS using pEditTool, I feel like I am
                          in heaven. Or when I use it as an internet radio or a podcast player or a GPS
                          [and extra $180 for the GPS]. Or when I ssh [free pssh] from my Treo 755p to
                          my unix machines.

                          /Paul
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                            Quoting Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>:

                            > Hi Guys:
                            >
                            > On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 09:01:44PM -0400, dmccunney wrote:
                            >> What I recommend these days is MacBooks..."
                            >
                            > I am still with Mac G4s and G5s. I can't make the transition until I am ready
                            > to reorganize my life 100%. Currently my life has been fully optimized and
                            > moving to intel would require major changes.

                            Likewise - but, I'm blessed with not having any external pressures
                            to use Windows/MS/PC. How can you escape that; is OSU that much more
                            enlightened than UM (in that one area only, of course.....)?

                            >> I'm not interested in a TX, and don't *want* a Treo. (Treos are nice,
                            >> but I'm not interested in a converged device. I prefer cell phone and
                            >> PDA to be separate devices.)
                            >
                            > I used to advocate that point too. Not anymore. The Treo 755p is as close to
                            > perfection as [almost] possible. When I SMS using pEditTool, I feel like I am
                            > in heaven. Or when I use it as an internet radio or a podcast player or a GPS
                            > [and extra $180 for the GPS]. Or when I ssh [free pssh] from my Treo 755p to
                            > my unix machines.

                            Likewise again, although I don't sms nor ssh. I formerly was
                            concerned with the idea that if I used a converged device and lost it
                            all would be lost. But it's much easier to keep track of one thing
                            than two (more like 1^1 vs 2^2 than like 1! vs 2!), and simply keeping
                            up-to-date backup on an SD separate from the Treo solves the loss
                            issue. And I too have found the 755p to be the best Palm device I've
                            had; plus the phone, thanks to apps such as TakePhone, is vastly more
                            efficient than any cellphone I've used.

                            ~ John
                          • jmarkevich
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                              --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:

                              > My employer is getting me a laptop, and my boss said "Spec out what
                              > you need, and we'll buy one." We have a corporate deal with Dell, and
                              > I speced a Dell laptop. My boss said "Do you really want a Dell?
                              > What I recommend these days is MacBooks..." Hey, boss, if you want to
                              > buy me a MacBook, *I* won't complain. It will run Mac OS/X, WinXP,
                              > and Linux, with the right tools installed, and cover all of my bases
                              > very nicely, but I didn't want to be a like a kid in a candy store on
                              > someone else's dime.

                              As a musician, I would vastly prefer a MacBook! Even if just for the
                              full 6-pin firewire port (it powers the firewire device too). It
                              folds down very compactly too. Unfortunately I have a Dell. Dells
                              are (make twisted "polite face") pretty good... but you want a Mac.

                              > I'm looking at other things. Right now, I like the Nokia 800 Internet
                              > Tablet and the ASUS eee as possible new additions, but the eee will
                              > wait till the new model with a gig of RAM and a 9" screen hits the
                              > streets.

                              I got an n800, to replace my Palm. I love it, but it's the last thing
                              from a PDA. No PIM apps (I'm wondering what I need to do to port
                              jpilot over). Text entry is slow, for some reason. Wireless is
                              awesome. It does run Garnet using Access' GVM, with some downsides.
                              Don't put eggs in that basket until they finish their beta program and
                              announce what - if anything - they will do there.

                              Here's something I wrote when I first got it:
                              http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddxgkcxf_63cnnz3fck
                            • john.messeder
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                Unfortunately for those of us less than satisfied with a couple of the
                                other models, the 755p doesn't do AT&T.

                                --

                                /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
                                table.” /
                                (News commentator Eric Sevareid in a radio essay on the 25th anniversary
                                of the start of World War Two. 8/31/64)
                              • Lemire, David
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                  Definitely has been quiet.

                                  > In my case, I am not waiting for the newest divice in the
                                  > market...

                                  My current issues w/my Zire 72 are a sudden unwillingness to charge
                                  fully, despite having installed a new battery within the last 6 months,
                                  and increasingly erratic digitizer behavior. At times I've been forced
                                  to recalibrate several times within a very short period (~15 minutes).
                                  OTOH, I'm not making much creative use of my PALM, mostly ebooks and
                                  games, so maybe it's just bored. :-)

                                  DaveL
                                • fjmancho
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                    >My current issues w/my Zire 72 are [...] and increasingly erratic
                                    digitizer behavior.

                                    Try to Google "digitizer"; you might find helpful information for your palm.
                                    I know two programs that have been helpful for some people
                                    DigiE and PowerDiGi

                                    DigiE must be uninstalled after calibrating (I believe it is freeware).

                                    PowerDiGi is good but it is not free.

                                    Jose
                                  • Jochen Konietzko
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                      Actually, there's no need to uninstall DigiE - if you run it from your SD
                                      card, everything will be fine.

                                      (If it resides in RAM, the screen will light up every minute or so after
                                      you switched off yor device - at least that's what happened on my T3.)

                                      Regards,

                                      Jochen
                                      ___
                                      Sent with SnapperMail
                                      www.snappermail.com

                                      >>My current issues w/my Zire 72 are [...] and increasingly erratic
                                      >digitizer behavior.
                                      >
                                      >Try to Google "digitizer"; you might find helpful information for your
                                      palm.
                                      >I know two programs that have been helpful for some people
                                      >DigiE and PowerDiGi
                                      >
                                      >DigiE must be uninstalled after calibrating (I believe it is freeware).
                                      >
                                      >PowerDiGi is good but it is not free.
                                      >

                                      >Jose

                                      Groups Links

                                    • john.messeder
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                        I have pEditTool working on notes in the calendar, but haven't been able
                                        to find the right switch to make it work in SMS.
                                        WhatmI missing, I wonder?

                                        --

                                        /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
                                        table.” /
                                        (News commentator Eric Sevareid in a radio essay on the 25th anniversary
                                        of the start of World War Two. 8/31/64)
                                      • Jon Hind
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                          autopedit doesnt seem to work in nexter (the built in sms application) but
                                          I invoke pedittool by mapping it to a hard key.

                                          jon

                                          --
                                          Jon

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                            > autopedit doesnt seem to work in nexter (the built in sms application) but
                                            > I invoke pedittool by mapping it to a hard key.

                                            I use it with a [right thumb] tap in the bottom right corner of the screen.
                                            No autoPeditTool in SMS. /Paul
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 7, 2008
                                              On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 7:48 AM, jmarkevich <jmarkevich@...> wrote:
                                              > --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > My employer is getting me a laptop, and my boss said "Spec out what
                                              > > you need, and we'll buy one." We have a corporate deal with Dell, and
                                              > > I speced a Dell laptop. My boss said "Do you really want a Dell?
                                              > > What I recommend these days is MacBooks..." Hey, boss, if you want to
                                              > > buy me a MacBook, *I* won't complain. It will run Mac OS/X, WinXP,
                                              > > and Linux, with the right tools installed, and cover all of my bases
                                              > > very nicely, but I didn't want to be a like a kid in a candy store on
                                              > > someone else's dime.
                                              >
                                              > As a musician, I would vastly prefer a MacBook! Even if just for the
                                              > full 6-pin firewire port (it powers the firewire device too). It
                                              > folds down very compactly too. Unfortunately I have a Dell. Dells
                                              > are (make twisted "polite face") pretty good... but you want a Mac.

                                              I'm not a convert to the Cult of Mac. If my boss wants to buy me a
                                              MacBook laptop, cool: I'll add OS/X to the operating systems I deal
                                              with as a SysAdmin, and MacBooks are nice machines, but nothing I do
                                              requires it. I need to run XP Pro, and preferably toss CentOS on too,
                                              either as a dual-boot, or in a VMWare Player VM. Mostly, it's remote
                                              connectivity with the office using SSH or a VPN client, with MS
                                              Office, Outlook, and a few other things. My main want is a big
                                              screen. There's no such thing as enough screen real estate, and while
                                              I won't get the 19" monitor in 1600x1200 I run at home, or the dual
                                              17" monitors in 1280x1024 I have at the office, I want as close as I
                                              can get.

                                              If I were a musician or a designer, I might think differently, but I'm
                                              not the first, and not currently the second, so...

                                              > > I'm looking at other things. Right now, I like the Nokia 800 Internet
                                              > > Tablet and the ASUS eee as possible new additions, but the eee will
                                              > > wait till the new model with a gig of RAM and a 9" screen hits the
                                              > > streets.
                                              >
                                              > I got an n800, to replace my Palm. I love it, but it's the last thing
                                              > from a PDA. No PIM apps (I'm wondering what I need to do to port
                                              > jpilot over). Text entry is slow, for some reason. Wireless is
                                              > awesome. It does run Garnet using Access' GVM, with some downsides.
                                              > Don't put eggs in that basket until they finish their beta program and
                                              > announce what - if anything - they will do there.

                                              Reports I've seen from folks running the Access GVM on the Nokia
                                              indicate some issues, like no way to make it go full screen, inability
                                              to run apps that use external libraries, and inability to see and use
                                              the N800 SD cards. That latter, in particular, is a deal breaker for
                                              me.

                                              Someone reported getting KDE running on theirs, which opens the
                                              options a good deal, including (I believe) a decent PIM offering.

                                              > Here's something I wrote when I first got it:
                                              > http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddxgkcxf_63cnnz3fck

                                              Thank you. This is a very nice overview. I think I have to wipe more
                                              drool off of my chin, however...