OT: Palm TX not turning off?

  • Phil Mendelsohn
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15 7:59 AM
      Hi - this is not pediting related, but if you gurus (guri?) would
      indulge me:

      My TX last night developed insomnia. When I turn it off, it stays off
      for about 10 seconds, then turns itself back on.

      Things already checked:
      - Keyboard set off
      - Alarms *seem* cleared
      - soft reset
      - reset DB Cache
      - Bluetooth turned off
      - wireless turned off
      - hot sync

      If I just leave it, it doesn't turn off, either. Have not yet done hard
      reset, sort of trying to avoid it. Other ideas first?

      Any clues appreciated.

      Tks,
      Phil M

      --
      "Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt."
      --Sir William Cornelius Van Horne
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15 8:49 AM
        Hi Paul,

        I am not sure whether this suggestion makes sense. I nevertheless post it,
        just in case it does for other peditors.

        I don't usually sync my palm and the number of deleted records (which in
        reality are not fully deleted) keeps on growing in all my built-in
        databases such: memo, date, todo. Sometimes this issue brings problems in
        my once-in-a-while sync operations (which get frozen at some point) and I
        need to delete manually one by one my "deleted" records (I use RsrcEdit for
        that). After deleting them, sync goes to normal.

        I wonder whether pMemoTool, pTodoTool and pDateTool (and pAddress if it
        comes) could be implemented for deleting these records.

        Jose
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 15 8:57 AM
          Hi Jose:

          Have you heard of dbCleanerUpper? Googlable. All=my=best, Paul

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 15 8:59 AM
            Hi Phil:

            On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:59:25AM -0600, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
            > My TX last night developed insomnia. When I turn it off, it stays off
            > for about 10 seconds, then turns itself back on.

            For me this used to happen when I had one of those defective external
            keyboard drivers. If you have one, deactivate it.

            All=my=best, Paul
          • Phil Mendelsohn
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 15 2:35 PM
              Paul Nevai wrote:

              > For me this used to happen when I had one of those defective external
              > keyboard drivers. If you have one, deactivate it.

              Thanks, Paul - you mean the driver for the Universal Wireless Kbd?

              Does "one of those defective external keybd drivers" imply that there
              exist drivers that are not defective? If so, which?

              I did this - in fact deleted it - and no joy. All the buttons seem to
              work, though, so I don't think it's hardware.

              Anyone else have a great idea before I'm forced to do hard reset?

              "Nothing is too small to know, and nothing too big to attempt."
              --Sir William Cornelius Van Horne
            • Dwight C. Carr
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 15 5:25 PM
                I think that dbfixit from pimlicosoftware.com can fix this problem.

                Dwight...

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 15 7:30 PM
                  On Friday 15 February 2008, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
                  > Hi - this is not pediting related, but if you gurus (guri?) would
                  > indulge me:
                  >
                  > My TX last night developed insomnia. When I turn it off, it stays off
                  > for about 10 seconds, then turns itself back on.

                  Phil,

                  What's the power timeout set for in Prefs? Try changing it to something
                  different (anything), and then changing it to what you want.

                  If that doesn't help, send me a listing of all files in main memory, and I'll
                  look for any suspicious "characters"...

                  L8r,
                  -Jerry
                  --
                  Commonsense is on perpetual backorder...
                  Registered Linux User #165194
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 15 8:57 PM
                    Thx - got it. It started yesterday, so I checked what was mod'ed ystdy.

                    DigiE, usually on card, wrote /something/ to internal mem, I think b/c the card it was running from got live ejected. (not recommended!)

                    Problem fixed - thx for triggering synapses, Jerry. Palm should be better after a good night's sleep tonight!

                    Cheers - and ta,
                    Phil

                    --
                    ''Nothing is oo small to know, and nothing too big to attempt.''
                    --Sir William Cornelius Van Horne

                    Subj: Re: [peditors] OT: Palm TX not turning off?
                    Date: Fri 15 Feb 2008 9:30 pm
                    Size: 1K
                    To: peditors@yahoogroups.com

                    On Friday 15 February 2008, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
                    > Hi - this is not pediting related, but if you gurus (guri?) would
                    > indulge me:
                    >
                    > My TX last night developed insomnia. When I turn it off, it stays off
                    > for about 10 seconds, then turns itself back on.

                    Phil,

                    What's the power timeout set for in Prefs? Try changing it to something
                    different (anything), and then changing it to what you want.

                    If that doesn't help, send me a listing of all files in main memory, and I'll
                    look for any suspicious "characters"...

                    L8r,
                    -Jerry
                    --
                    Commonsense is on perpetual backorder...
                    Registered Linux User #165194

                    Latest pedit/pToolSet/LapTopHack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
                    pedit/pToolSet/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • fjmancho
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 16 2:58 AM
                      Thanks, Paul and Dwight

                      I have tried Paul's and works fine.

                      Jose

                      >Have you heard of dbCleanerUpper? Googlable. All=my=best, Paul
                      >
                      >On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 06:49:09PM +0200, fjmancho wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Hi Paul,
                      >>
                      >> I am not sure whether this suggestion makes sense. I nevertheless post
                      it,
                      >> just in case it does for other peditors.
                      >>
                      >> I don't usually sync my palm and the number of deleted records (which in
                      >> reality are not fully deleted) keeps on growing in all my built-in
                      >> databases such: memo, date, todo. Sometimes this issue brings problems
                      in
                      >> my once-in-a-while sync operations (which get frozen at some point) and
                      >> need to delete manually one by one my "deleted" records (I use RsrcEdit
                      for
                      >> that). After deleting them, sync goes to normal.
                      >>
                      >> I wonder whether pMemoTool, pTodoTool and pDateTool (and pAddress if it
                      >> comes) could be implemented for deleting these records.
                      >>
                      >> Jose

                      F. Jose Mancho
                      mobil number +254726 939095
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 16 3:00 AM
                        Hi Phil:

                        On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 04:35:14PM -0600, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
                        > Thanks, Paul - you mean the driver for the Universal Wireless Kbd?

                        I have no concrete examples in mind.

                        > Does "one of those defective external keybd drivers" imply that there
                        > exist drivers that are not defective? If so, which?

                        Some are some aren't. I stopped using them years ago. If I need a keyboard,
                        I temporarily install the software.

                        All=my=best, Paul

                        P.S. I see problem=solved now.
                      • Jerry Gluck
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 16 7:07 AM
                          Phil,

                          On Friday 15 February 2008, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
                          > Problem fixed - thx for triggering synapses, Jerry. Palm should be better
                          > after a good night's sleep tonight!
                          Glad to have been of service!

                          I'm better after a good night's sleep also! :-D

                          > Cheers - and ta,
                          > Phil
                          TTYL,
                          -Jerry