Re: [peditors] Fitaly vs. FitalyStamp vs. ?

  • Margret M Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2000
      I use Fitaly rather than FitalyStamp because I need to be able to see the
      virtual keyboard by backlight, which you can't do with FitalyStamp. I'm
      sorry to hear that FitalyHack doesn't work with the newer machines -- I
      rely on it greatly, and would be very disappointed if I upgraded and
      found that I could no longer use it.

      As for the difficulty of switching between Fitaly and QWERTY, it seems to
      depend on whether you're a touch typist or not. If you are a touch
      typist, then your knowledge of where the keys are is primarily stored in
      kinesic memory. (I think I got the words right.) That is to say, your
      _hands_ know where to find the keys. When I have to use hunt-and-peck,
      as with the virtual QWERTY keyboard that came with the Palm, I find that
      I frequently have to stop and think about where to find a character, even
      though if I were using a physical keyboard I would know immediately.
      Fitaly does not exist except as a virtual keyboard. You can't learn to
      touch-type on it, because there is no physical keyboard to place your
      hands on. Therefore, the knowledge of where the letters are is stored in
      a different part of memory, the hunt-and-peck part, if you will. So it
      doesn't interfere when you switch to a physical QWERTY keyboard -- your
      fingers still know where to find the letters. If, on the other hand, you
      normally type with just one or two fingers (and I know someone who
      achieves 120 WPM, or more, that way), then Fitaly will give you just as
      many headaches as trying to switch back and forth between QWERTY and
      Dvorak would.

      As for the learning curve on Fitaly, it's a lot like the learning curve
      on pedit, though not quite as steep. It takes a while to get the hang of
      it, but once you've got it the layout makes for very fast hunt-and-peck
      typing. Use it for a couple of days, and you should have it pretty well
      down. After that, if you're not sure where a letter is, check the four
      corners first, because that's where the least-used letters are.

      Besides the layout, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage
      (because of the learning curve), there are three main advantages to
      Fitaly: First, as has already been mentioned, the fact that you can get
      every character that's available on Palm. Second, sliding. This is a
      truly genius idea -- to capitalize a character, all you have to do is
      slide your stylus off of it rather than lifting the stylus, and you can
      use the punctuation keyboard as a number keyboard by doing the same
      thing. Sliding speeds things up enormously, and greatly decreases
      frustration. Third, FitalyHack can be set to either "dodge" or "scroll."
      When it's set to "dodge," it will simply move itself away from the
      cursor any time it gets too close. If you find it annoying to have your
      keyboard suddenly move away from your hand (as I do) you can set it to
      "scroll," and it will scroll the text on your screen to keep the cursor
      from disappearing under the keyboard. Both methods work well, and they
      are a major improvement over the window that pops up with the QWERTY
      keyboard that came with the Palm, which you have to close and re-open
      every time you change fields.

      As for speed, I average around 25 WPM on random words thrown up by
      FitalyLetris. When I am composing as I go, though, it is much faster --
      the problem with using Letris to time yourself on Fitaly is that you have
      to keep looking away from the keyboard to see what word is next. It's
      equivalent to having to take your hands off of the physical keyboard and
      point at each word before you type it. When I'm copying a passage that I
      already know in Letris, I run about 30 - 35 WPM. For comparison's sake,
      I run around 50 WPM on the PPK in Letris -- the only thing that slows me
      down there is squinting to see the words. (I think it's about time for
      new bifocals. Sigh.)

      Margret
    • Thater, William
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2000
        for me , i liked FitalyHack but it's just not worth the price.

        --
        Bill Thater Certified ORACLE DBA
        Telergy, Inc. thaterw@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2000

          Yes, you can turn it off, but then you have a layer of plastic between your
          stylus and the screen (no, I don't use a screen protector... in three years
          of Palming, I've never had a need for one). And, if I remember, there wasn't
          an easy way to tell if Graffiti was on or off (I could be wrong). And I just
          never, ever got it to recognize taps accurately, even after having my Palm
          replaced due to a bad digitizer, and after endlessly removing and reapplying
          the overlay to try to get it in the right location. It was just a lot more
          trouble than it was worth.

          Lee

        • Mitch Wagner
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2000
            I've never had a problem getting FitalyStamp to recognize taps
            correctly. If you are having the problem on two different Palm units,
            perhaps the source of your problem is a software conflict or even user
            error?

            You're right about the two other points, though: there is no easy way
            to tell whether you're in FitalyStamp mode or Graffiti mode, and you
            do have the overlay permanently covering up the Graffiti area. The
            former is something of a problem - if you use any hacks that depend on
            sliding the stylus form one silkscreen button to another, such as
            PhlegmHack or EVEdit, then you'll have a lot more trouble with
            FitalyStamp. Covering up the Graffiti area is not a problem at all; I
            simply don't use Graffiti anymore; FitalyStamp is superior is every
            way.

            --
            Mitch Wagner

            > So far that seems the likely end for me too, but the concept
            > definitely has my attention. If the price were about half, I'd
            > probably go for it. One thing that's been mentioned was that
            > FitalyStamp "takes over" the Graffiti area. AFAICT, you can turn it
            > off and use regular Graffiti when you want to, so I wonder what made
            > that undesirable -- just the vinyl overlay itself?

            Yes, you can turn it off, but then you have a layer of plastic between your
            stylus and the screen (no, I don't use a screen protector... in three years
            of Palming, I've never had a need for one). And, if I remember, there wasn't
            an easy way to tell if Graffiti was on or off (I could be wrong). And I just
            never, ever got it to recognize taps accurately, even after having my Palm
            replaced due to a bad digitizer, and after endlessly removing and reapplying
            the overlay to try to get it in the right location. It was just a lot more
            trouble than it was worth.

            Lee

            Check the beginners' pedit pTutorial site at http://seigel.yi.org/
          • Howard Veit/Towers Perrin
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2000
              Today, Mitch writes: <<there is no easy way
              to tell whether you're in FitalyStamp mode or Graffiti mode>>

              Actually, I don't see that as a problem. There is a little on/off icon in
              the extreme lower left of the FitalyStamp area. If you have your systems
              Games sound on (I set it to high) you get a low pitched beep to tell you FS
              is off. In that mode you can use the silkscreen area just as you would
              normally without FS. I drag from menu to app area to turn Magic Text on,
              for example. And, of course, you can use graffiti. If you tap the little
              icon again you get a pleasant high pitched beep which tells you you are
              back in FitalyStamp mode.

              One of the things I have found with FS is that my Palm Vx gets
              "digi-creep." Over time, the digitizer on my Palm becomes less and less
              accurate and the strokes on the FS keypad become less and less accurate.
              So, for example, if you hit the lower part of the 'a', you'll get an 'e',
              rather than an 'a'. I found that periodically redigitizing my unit (about
              once a week) solved this problem. Then along came a program called
              "AutoDigi' which redigitizes your machine after each soft reset. Now
              there is a "OnDigi" program that is a plugin to AutoDigi that redigitizes
              each time you turn you unit on. This seems to help with consistency of
              keystroke accuracy.

              Frankly, I can't imagine life without FitalyStamp. Graffiti is a
              primitive way to do stylus text input. With a little patience, FS allows
              you to do stylus text input almost as fast as you would type. Especially
              since version 1.2 came out, it has been a trouble free program, except for
              th conflicts with other programs. If you are willing to sacrifice those
              other programs, then there shouldn't be a problem. There can be some grief
              while you go through the trial and error of weeding out the programs in
              conflict. Howard