Re: [peditors] Fitaly vs. FitalyStamp vs. ?

  • Robert Cortopassi
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2000

      http://www.fitaly.com/domperignon/domperignon2.htm

      --
      Robert Cortopassi <><
      Dallas, TX
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2000
        I use Fitaly rather than FitalyStamp because I need to be able to see the
        virtual keyboard by backlight, which you can't do with FitalyStamp. I'm
        sorry to hear that FitalyHack doesn't work with the newer machines -- I
        rely on it greatly, and would be very disappointed if I upgraded and
        found that I could no longer use it.

        As for the difficulty of switching between Fitaly and QWERTY, it seems to
        depend on whether you're a touch typist or not. If you are a touch
        typist, then your knowledge of where the keys are is primarily stored in
        kinesic memory. (I think I got the words right.) That is to say, your
        _hands_ know where to find the keys. When I have to use hunt-and-peck,
        as with the virtual QWERTY keyboard that came with the Palm, I find that
        I frequently have to stop and think about where to find a character, even
        though if I were using a physical keyboard I would know immediately.
        Fitaly does not exist except as a virtual keyboard. You can't learn to
        touch-type on it, because there is no physical keyboard to place your
        hands on. Therefore, the knowledge of where the letters are is stored in
        a different part of memory, the hunt-and-peck part, if you will. So it
        doesn't interfere when you switch to a physical QWERTY keyboard -- your
        fingers still know where to find the letters. If, on the other hand, you
        normally type with just one or two fingers (and I know someone who
        achieves 120 WPM, or more, that way), then Fitaly will give you just as
        many headaches as trying to switch back and forth between QWERTY and
        Dvorak would.

        As for the learning curve on Fitaly, it's a lot like the learning curve
        on pedit, though not quite as steep. It takes a while to get the hang of
        it, but once you've got it the layout makes for very fast hunt-and-peck
        typing. Use it for a couple of days, and you should have it pretty well
        down. After that, if you're not sure where a letter is, check the four
        corners first, because that's where the least-used letters are.

        Besides the layout, which is both an advantage and a disadvantage
        (because of the learning curve), there are three main advantages to
        Fitaly: First, as has already been mentioned, the fact that you can get
        every character that's available on Palm. Second, sliding. This is a
        truly genius idea -- to capitalize a character, all you have to do is
        slide your stylus off of it rather than lifting the stylus, and you can
        use the punctuation keyboard as a number keyboard by doing the same
        thing. Sliding speeds things up enormously, and greatly decreases
        frustration. Third, FitalyHack can be set to either "dodge" or "scroll."
        When it's set to "dodge," it will simply move itself away from the
        cursor any time it gets too close. If you find it annoying to have your
        keyboard suddenly move away from your hand (as I do) you can set it to
        "scroll," and it will scroll the text on your screen to keep the cursor
        from disappearing under the keyboard. Both methods work well, and they
        are a major improvement over the window that pops up with the QWERTY
        keyboard that came with the Palm, which you have to close and re-open
        every time you change fields.

        As for speed, I average around 25 WPM on random words thrown up by
        FitalyLetris. When I am composing as I go, though, it is much faster --
        the problem with using Letris to time yourself on Fitaly is that you have
        to keep looking away from the keyboard to see what word is next. It's
        equivalent to having to take your hands off of the physical keyboard and
        point at each word before you type it. When I'm copying a passage that I
        already know in Letris, I run about 30 - 35 WPM. For comparison's sake,
        I run around 50 WPM on the PPK in Letris -- the only thing that slows me
        down there is squinting to see the words. (I think it's about time for
        new bifocals. Sigh.)

        Margret
      • Thater, William
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2000
          for me , i liked FitalyHack but it's just not worth the price.

          --
          Bill Thater Certified ORACLE DBA
          Telergy, Inc. thaterw@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2000

            Yes, you can turn it off, but then you have a layer of plastic between your
            stylus and the screen (no, I don't use a screen protector... in three years
            of Palming, I've never had a need for one). And, if I remember, there wasn't
            an easy way to tell if Graffiti was on or off (I could be wrong). And I just
            never, ever got it to recognize taps accurately, even after having my Palm
            replaced due to a bad digitizer, and after endlessly removing and reapplying
            the overlay to try to get it in the right location. It was just a lot more
            trouble than it was worth.

            Lee

          • Mitch Wagner
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2000
              I've never had a problem getting FitalyStamp to recognize taps
              correctly. If you are having the problem on two different Palm units,
              perhaps the source of your problem is a software conflict or even user
              error?

              You're right about the two other points, though: there is no easy way
              to tell whether you're in FitalyStamp mode or Graffiti mode, and you
              do have the overlay permanently covering up the Graffiti area. The
              former is something of a problem - if you use any hacks that depend on
              sliding the stylus form one silkscreen button to another, such as
              PhlegmHack or EVEdit, then you'll have a lot more trouble with
              FitalyStamp. Covering up the Graffiti area is not a problem at all; I
              simply don't use Graffiti anymore; FitalyStamp is superior is every
              way.

              --
              Mitch Wagner

              > So far that seems the likely end for me too, but the concept
              > definitely has my attention. If the price were about half, I'd
              > probably go for it. One thing that's been mentioned was that
              > FitalyStamp "takes over" the Graffiti area. AFAICT, you can turn it
              > off and use regular Graffiti when you want to, so I wonder what made
              > that undesirable -- just the vinyl overlay itself?

              Yes, you can turn it off, but then you have a layer of plastic between your
              stylus and the screen (no, I don't use a screen protector... in three years
              of Palming, I've never had a need for one). And, if I remember, there wasn't
              an easy way to tell if Graffiti was on or off (I could be wrong). And I just
              never, ever got it to recognize taps accurately, even after having my Palm
              replaced due to a bad digitizer, and after endlessly removing and reapplying
              the overlay to try to get it in the right location. It was just a lot more
              trouble than it was worth.

              Lee

              Check the beginners' pedit pTutorial site at http://seigel.yi.org/
            • Howard Veit/Towers Perrin
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2000
                Today, Mitch writes: <<there is no easy way
                to tell whether you're in FitalyStamp mode or Graffiti mode>>

                Actually, I don't see that as a problem. There is a little on/off icon in
                the extreme lower left of the FitalyStamp area. If you have your systems
                Games sound on (I set it to high) you get a low pitched beep to tell you FS
                is off. In that mode you can use the silkscreen area just as you would
                normally without FS. I drag from menu to app area to turn Magic Text on,
                for example. And, of course, you can use graffiti. If you tap the little
                icon again you get a pleasant high pitched beep which tells you you are
                back in FitalyStamp mode.

                One of the things I have found with FS is that my Palm Vx gets
                "digi-creep." Over time, the digitizer on my Palm becomes less and less
                accurate and the strokes on the FS keypad become less and less accurate.
                So, for example, if you hit the lower part of the 'a', you'll get an 'e',
                rather than an 'a'. I found that periodically redigitizing my unit (about
                once a week) solved this problem. Then along came a program called
                "AutoDigi' which redigitizes your machine after each soft reset. Now
                there is a "OnDigi" program that is a plugin to AutoDigi that redigitizes
                each time you turn you unit on. This seems to help with consistency of
                keystroke accuracy.

                Frankly, I can't imagine life without FitalyStamp. Graffiti is a
                primitive way to do stylus text input. With a little patience, FS allows
                you to do stylus text input almost as fast as you would type. Especially
                since version 1.2 came out, it has been a trouble free program, except for
                th conflicts with other programs. If you are willing to sacrifice those
                other programs, then there shouldn't be a problem. There can be some grief
                while you go through the trial and error of weeding out the programs in
                conflict. Howard