RE: Dragon NaturallySpeaking (was PCALENDARTOOL FEATURE REQUEST; now even further off topic)

  • Mark A. Mandel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2008
      I have to do some editing, but it's pretty good. I've been too lazy to reinstall
      it after degradation of the acoustic modeling due to user errors, changed
      acoustic background (moved to a different office, ventilation system noises...),
      etc.; so it could be better for me than it is.

      I have Professional version, which lets you write your own macros. That's what I
      mostly use it for currently, since I'm not dictating paragraphs of text this
      month. E.g.:
      - editing web pages in Windows WordPad or Emacs, I'll select some text and say
      "HTML italicize that" or "wiki bold that" or "make that an ordered list" or
      "begin list item 3" (where the number refers to level of indentation for
      readability)
      - "sign that" or "sign that Mark" or "LDC signature"
      - "insert my office info"
      - "insert date paragraph" (go to bottom of document, add a couple of newlines
      and the current date in my preferred short format, 080111, and another newline,
      and capitalize the first word of the next dictated text)

      When I do have a lot of text to type I use it for that, unless the text has a
      lot of non-English in it. That's another reason I wasn't using it so much for
      text lately: I was writing grammatical sketches of Yoruba, Tigrinya,... But
      it was still great with custom-written macros.

      Recognizing recorded speech is another issue. You need to have a separate
      acoustic model for that, because the acoustic signal is different: different
      mic, etc. You should use digital recording, which I guess you are because you
      wrote "DVR" even though you had "tape record" -- do you remember reel-to-reel?
      Nuance, which now owns the Dragon brand and tech, has specific recommendations
      for that. I can give you pointers off-list if you like.

      m a m by hand

      #RE: PCALENDARTOOL FEATURE REQUEST (NOW OFF TOPIC)
      #
      # Posted by: "john.messeder" jmesseder@... jmesseder2
      #
      # Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:01 am (PST)
      #
      # I guess I misinterpreted the quote level marks. Sorry about that.
      # Still, thanks for pointing out the spelling error. I don't know why I
      # spelled it the way I did - whether I copied it from someplace that had
      # it wrong or just spelled it the way I thought it sounded.
      # As for the interpretation, either is fine, I suspect, until Mr. S drops
      # in to tell us the right one. Actually, I think they're two parts of the
      # same phenomenon.
      #
      # As long as we're "off topic:" Does Dragon Naturally Speaking really do
      # as good a job as your notes indicate? Or do you have to do some editing?
      # I tried an old version that I stopped using because it needed too much
      # training, but I've long thought how cool it would be to tape record (on
      # my Olympus DVR) and have the computer turn it into text.
    • john.messeder
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2008
        Before maybe getting into details off-list, I've got a list-type thought
        or two.
        I'm a columnist and I do a lot of thinking while I'm driving by myself.
        I "tape" notes on an Olympus 331 that records WMA but plays WMA and MP3.
        I'm a pretty techie kind of guy, but I well remember 12-inch 15ips tape,
        and have several hours of historical interviews on micro-cassette, but
        now I use a DVR =)
        Anyway, I've used the 680 for some notes, but they require listening to
        the Treo and transcribing -- I'd love if someone knew of some Treo
        software that would do the job the Olympus does.

        That said, the I'm really interested in making the Oly work with Dragon.
        But mayhaps more detailed converse is best pursued off-list.

        --

        /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
        table.” /