Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

RE: PCALENDARTOOL FEATURE REQUEST (NOW OFF TOPIC)

Expand Messages
  • Mark A. Mandel
    Credit where due: that s Dennis s interpretation, not mine. I just asked the question and noted the spelling. -- Mark A. Mandel Linguistic Data Consortium,
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2008
      Credit where due: that's Dennis's interpretation, not mine. I just asked the
      question and noted the spelling.

      -- Mark A. Mandel
      Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania
      [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

      # 1d.
      #
      #RE: PCALENDARTOOL FEATURE REQUEST (NOW OFF TOPIC)
      #
      # Posted by: "john.messeder" jmesseder@... jmesseder2
      #
      # Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:36 pm (PST)
      #
      # I'm amazed how many people have seen that and not caught the misspelling
      # - including me, of course. Thanks for pointing it out.
      # Mark's interpretation is part of it, I think. I think it also refers to
      # the lack of recognition on the part of those who do not have the empty
      # place at their table. It's what makes war tolerable, its loss
      # intellectual, until we're sitting across from an empty place at the table.
      #
      # On 01/09/2008 at 1742 -0500
      # dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
      #
      # > On Jan 9, 2008 10:29 AM, Mark A. Mandel <mamandel@...
      # > <mailto:mamandel%40ldc.upenn.edu>> wrote:
      # >
      # > > john.messeder's got an interesting sig line. What's the context? It
      # > doesn't seem
      # > > to make sense, but Eric Sevareid (note the spelling, BTW: not
      # > SevErIEd) wasn't
      # > > the kind to make a meaningless dumb comment.
      # >
      # > Death is personal. The empty place is at the family table of the one
      # > who died. There may be many such families in a war, but each must
      # > confront their own personal sorrow, and not those of others.
      # >
      # > > m a m
      # > ______
      # > Dennis
    • john.messeder
      I guess I misinterpreted the quote level marks. Sorry about that. Still, thanks for pointing out the spelling error. I don t know why I spelled it the way I
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2008
        I guess I misinterpreted the quote level marks. Sorry about that.
        Still, thanks for pointing out the spelling error. I don't know why I
        spelled it the way I did - whether I copied it from someplace that had
        it wrong or just spelled it the way I thought it sounded.
        As for the interpretation, either is fine, I suspect, until Mr. S drops
        in to tell us the right one. Actually, I think they're two parts of the
        same phenomenon.

        As long as we're "off topic:" Does Dragon Naturally Speaking really do
        as good a job as your notes indicate? Or do you have to do some editing?
        I tried an old version that I stopped using because it needed too much
        training, but I've long thought how cool it would be to tape record (on
        my Olympus DVR) and have the computer turn it into text.


        On 01/10/2008 at 1049 -0500
        "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel@...> wrote:


        > Credit where due: that's Dennis's interpretation, not mine. I just
        > asked the
        > question and noted the spelling.
        >
        > -- Mark A. Mandel
        > Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania
        > [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]
        >
        > # 1d.
        > #
        > #RE: PCALENDARTOOL FEATURE REQUEST (NOW OFF TOPIC)
        > #
        > # Posted by: "john.messeder" jmesseder@...
        > <mailto:jmesseder%40comcast.net> jmesseder2
        > #
        > # Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:36 pm (PST)
        > #
        > # I'm amazed how many people have seen that and not caught the misspelling
        > # - including me, of course. Thanks for pointing it out.
        > # Mark's interpretation is part of it, I think. I think it also refers to
        > # the lack of recognition on the part of those who do not have the empty
        > # place at their table. It's what makes war tolerable, its loss
        > # intellectual, until we're sitting across from an empty place at the
        > table.
        > #
        > # On 01/09/2008 at 1742 -0500
        > # dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...
        > <mailto:dennis.mccunney%40gmail.com>> wrote:
        > #
        > # > On Jan 9, 2008 10:29 AM, Mark A. Mandel <mamandel@...
        > <mailto:mamandel%40ldc.upenn.edu>
        > # > <mailto:mamandel%40ldc.upenn.edu>> wrote:
        > # >
        > # > > john.messeder's got an interesting sig line. What's the context? It
        > # > doesn't seem
        > # > > to make sense, but Eric Sevareid (note the spelling, BTW: not
        > # > SevErIEd) wasn't
        > # > > the kind to make a meaningless dumb comment.
        > # >
        > # > Death is personal. The empty place is at the family table of the one
        > # > who died. There may be many such families in a war, but each must
        > # > confront their own personal sorrow, and not those of others.
        > # >
        > # > > m a m
        > # > ______
        > # > Dennis
        >
        >

        --

        /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
        table.” /
        (News commentator Eric Sevareid in a radio essay on the 25th anniversary
        of the start of World War Two. 8/31/64)
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.