split screen for pEdit?

  • Tim R. Even
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2007
      One thing that would be very useful would be a split screen so that I
      could view/edit different parts of a memo at the same time. This
      seems so obvious that I'm afraid that either it exists in some form
      that I don't know about, or their is some technical constraint that
      makes this impossible. I did run across a free-ware editor that
      featured a split screen, but in other respects the program was
      sub-par. Anyway, text that I've written in Pedit tends to be choppy,
      and longer programs are harder to work with because I can't see more
      of what I am editing. This is particularly true with 'tricky' (OK
      Kludgey) programs.

      Tim
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
        Hi Tim:

        On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:49:50AM -0000, Tim R. Even wrote:
        > One thing that would be very useful would be a split screen so that I
        > could view/edit different parts of a memo at the same time. This
        > seems so obvious that I'm afraid that either it exists in some form
        > that I don't know about, or their is some technical constraint that
        > makes this impossible. I did run across a free-ware editor that
        > featured a split screen, but in other respects the program was
        > sub-par. Anyway, text that I've written in Pedit tends to be choppy,
        > and longer programs are harder to work with because I can't see more
        > of what I am editing. This is particularly true with 'tricky' (OK
        > Kludgey) programs.

        This could be doable but I am not sure it's worth the effort. The new Palms
        have all tiny screens [Treos]. I doubt that there will ever be a new Palm PDA
        [only cell phone combos]. Also, such an effort would be a nightmare to
        support on different hardwares. Palm screwed up so much the DIA business that
        every model seems to work differently. If I did this, I'd test it and support
        it only on one single model [my own Palm].

        I can no longer run the simulators on my PC because they crash on the latest
        XP Pro. I am sure they don't even run on Vista.

        I concentrate these days on pToolSet where I still see a bright future, at
        least for my own Palm usage.

        All=my=best, Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
          Quoting Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>:

          > Hi Tim:
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:49:50AM -0000, Tim R. Even wrote:
          >> One thing that would be very useful would be a split screen so that I
          >> could view/edit different parts of a memo at the same time.
          <<SNIP>>

          > This could be doable but I am not sure it's worth the effort. The new Palms
          > have all tiny screens [Treos]. I doubt that there will ever be a new Palm PDA
          > [only cell phone combos]. Also, such an effort would be a nightmare to
          > support on different hardwares. Palm screwed up so much the DIA business that
          > every model seems to work differently. If I did this, I'd test it and support
          > it only on one single model [my own Palm].
          >
          > I can no longer run the simulators on my PC because they crash on the latest
          > XP Pro. I am sure they don't even run on Vista.
          >
          > I concentrate these days on pToolSet where I still see a bright future, at
          > least for my own Palm usage.
          >
          > All=my=best, Paul

          Not that I'm suggesting that you spend time on this, more my own
          mental exercise as to how it might be done within your area of
          concentration - might it be possible in pEditTool to have code which
          when activated says "leave the text above the line where the cursor is
          as is, and scroll the rest up until I stop"?

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
            On Nov 27, 2007 6:30 AM, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:
            > Hi Tim:
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:49:50AM -0000, Tim R. Even wrote:
            > > One thing that would be very useful would be a split screen so that I
            > > could view/edit different parts of a memo at the same time. This
            > > seems so obvious that I'm afraid that either it exists in some form
            > > that I don't know about, or their is some technical constraint that
            > > makes this impossible. I did run across a free-ware editor that
            > > featured a split screen, but in other respects the program was
            > > sub-par. Anyway, text that I've written in Pedit tends to be choppy,
            > > and longer programs are harder to work with because I can't see more
            > > of what I am editing. This is particularly true with 'tricky' (OK
            > > Kludgey) programs.
            >
            > This could be doable but I am not sure it's worth the effort. The new Palms
            > have all tiny screens [Treos]. I doubt that there will ever be a new Palm PDA
            > [only cell phone combos]. Also, such an effort would be a nightmare to
            > support on different hardwares. Palm screwed up so much the DIA business that
            > every model seems to work differently. If I did this, I'd test it and support
            > it only on one single model [my own Palm].

            I'm aware of two Palm editors that do this: the shareware Qed, and the
            free and open source SiEd. Personally, I found a 320x320 screen
            problematical for split screen work. The individual parts simply
            weren't big enough. The last SiEd beta had support for a 320x480
            screen which mostly worked (scrolling might leave colored trails on
            screen.) And SiEd author Benjamin Roe's website seems to have been
            taken over by a click harvester, making finding it a challenge. (I
            have the last beta and a source archive if anyone is interested.)

            It's not clear how DIA problems affect the feasibility of doing this.
            If pEdit works on a 320x460 scr3een on a device (and it does on my
            Zodiac), splitting the screen into two windows ought to work too.

            Your call on whether or not to do this, but I suspect the real problem
            is that your interest is in pToolset these days, and you aren't highly
            motivated to revisit pedit. It's a "mature product" that may get bug
            fixes, but it's hard to think of major new features it lacks.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
              On Nov 27, 2007 9:08 AM, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
              > Not that I'm suggesting that you spend time on this, more my own
              > mental exercise as to how it might be done within your area of
              > concentration - might it be possible in pEditTool to have code which
              > when activated says "leave the text above the line where the cursor is
              > as is, and scroll the rest up until I stop"?

              You're suggesting implementing "scrolling regions", which any split
              screen solution requires. It needs what you mention. It also needs a
              visual indicator to define the scrolling region. And what happens
              when you *stop* scrolling and want to edit in the scrolled area? does
              the non-scrolled portion remain seperate? Can you hop back and forth
              between the two areas? (If you can't, the point to doing it at all is
              severely diminished.)

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 27, 2007
                Quoting dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>:

                > On Nov 27, 2007 9:08 AM, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
                >> Not that I'm suggesting that you spend time on this, more my own
                >> mental exercise as to how it might be done within your area of
                >> concentration - might it be possible in pEditTool to have code which
                >> when activated says "leave the text above the line where the cursor is
                >> as is, and scroll the rest up until I stop"?
                >
                > You're suggesting implementing "scrolling regions", which any split
                > screen solution requires. It needs what you mention. It also needs a
                > visual indicator to define the scrolling region. And what happens
                > when you *stop* scrolling and want to edit in the scrolled area? does
                > the non-scrolled portion remain seperate? Can you hop back and forth
                > between the two areas? (If you can't, the point to doing it at all is
                > severely diminished.)
                >
                >> ~ John
                > ______
                > Dennis

                "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple,
                and wrong." H.L.Mencken :)