No longer syncing pEditPro documents (memos) with desktop

  • rdratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
      Hi. I've been a happy pEdit-or for many years. Today, for the first
      time, I found I could not get a memo, entered on the Palm Desktop, to
      show up in my Zire 71. It just didn't transfer.

      I upgraded (and re-registered) my copy of pEdit Pro to ver 8.12, and
      reinstalled after removing the old programs. No difference. I tried
      setting the conduit to "Desktop Overwrites Handheld" -- since that's
      the direction I was trying to go. Still no luck.

      I tried resetting the Zire. No difference. I tried making a change in
      a different memo on the Palm, then synchronizing again. That direction
      didn't work either!

      I'm pretty sure nothing like this has ever happened before. Is there
      something else I should be doing? A special setting, or a special conduit?

      I'm feeling lost here. Thanks for any helpful hints.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
        Quoting rdratman <ralph.dratman@...>:

        > Hi. I've been a happy pEdit-or for many years. Today, for the first
        > time, I found I could not get a memo, entered on the Palm Desktop, to
        > show up in my Zire 71. It just didn't transfer.
        >
        > I upgraded (and re-registered) my copy of pEdit Pro to ver 8.12, and
        > reinstalled after removing the old programs. No difference. I tried
        > setting the conduit to "Desktop Overwrites Handheld" -- since that's
        > the direction I was trying to go. Still no luck.
        >
        > I tried resetting the Zire. No difference. I tried making a change in
        > a different memo on the Palm, then synchronizing again. That direction
        > didn't work either!
        >
        > I'm pretty sure nothing like this has ever happened before. Is there
        > something else I should be doing? A special setting, or a special conduit?
        >
        > I'm feeling lost here. Thanks for any helpful hints.

        Couple of things to check - peditPro !m04 or !m32 memos have nothing
        to do with synchronizing and conduits since it uses the builtin Palm
        Memos database. peditPro !p32 memos are completely separate and have
        no conduit and don't relate to the desktop at all.
        So, first, look to see if the memo that did not seem to move from
        desktop to HH is present in the built-in Memos app. If it is, then
        your memos conduit is ok. And if that's the case the most likely
        reason you don't see it in pedit is that you've inadvertently set pedit
        to !p32, not !m. Open pedit ListView and look at the header. If it
        says !p32 tap the screen just into the white under the !p, or do
        menu/navigate/switch, and you'll change to !m04 or !m32 and you'll now
        see your memo.
        If your memo is not seen in the built-in memos either, then you have a
        conduit problem of some sort, *not* related to pedit because it can't
        be - there's no connection.
        Please post back what you find.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
          Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

          Small correction to -

          > Couple of things to check - peditPro !m04 or !m32 memos have nothing
          > to do with synchronizing and conduits since it uses the builtin Palm
          > Memos database.

          "!m04" does not exist. !p04 and !m32 use the Palm Memos database.
          (see the pedit manual section "Which pedit is my pedit".

          ~ John
        • Ralph Dratman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
            John,

            Thanks for your quick reply! I am following along with your questions:

            >look to see if the memo that did not seem to move from
            >desktop to HH is present in the built-in Memos app.

            No, that memo (originating from the desktop) is NOT visible in the
            built-in Memos app.

            >If your memo is not seen in the built-in memos either, then you have a
            >conduit problem of some sort, *not* related to pedit because it can't
            >be - there's no connection.

            Ah, that's helpful. So my problem has nothing to do with pedit, and I
            need to concentrate on possible "native" Palm/Zire problems. Well, I'm
            really not surprised, as pedit has never given me any problems, as far
            as I can remember. It just works. I don't use many of its features, I
            guess, but the ones I do use are good to have.

            I wonder what could be wrong with my memo synchronization? The other
            applications seem to by sync-ing correctly. Does anyone know what I
            should try next?

            Regards,

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2007
              Quoting Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman@...>:

              > John,
              >
              > Thanks for your quick reply! I am following along with your questions:
              >
              >> look to see if the memo that did not seem to move from
              >> desktop to HH is present in the built-in Memos app.
              >
              > No, that memo (originating from the desktop) is NOT visible in the
              > built-in Memos app.
              >
              >> If your memo is not seen in the built-in memos either, then you have a
              >> conduit problem of some sort, *not* related to pedit because it can't
              >> be - there's no connection.
              >
              > Ah, that's helpful. So my problem has nothing to do with pedit, and I
              > need to concentrate on possible "native" Palm/Zire problems. Well, I'm
              > really not surprised, as pedit has never given me any problems, as far
              > as I can remember. It just works. I don't use many of its features, I
              > guess, but the ones I do use are good to have.
              >
              > I wonder what could be wrong with my memo synchronization? The other
              > applications seem to by sync-ing correctly. Does anyone know what I
              > should try next?

              OK, good, some progress. I don't know what your sync problem might be;
              perhaps other forum members can help. Have you looked at the hotsync
              log?

              BTW, there's also some problem with your post getting through. They've
              all been held up as pending, requiring moderator intervention to pass
              through. Maybe a Gmail issue??

              ~ John
            • john.messeder
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
                I've been meaning to ask this, but why would anyone want to do that.
                Hotsyncing is such a dandy way to backup, but not with !p32.

                --

                /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
                table.” /
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2007
                  Hi John-

                  Quoting "john.messeder" <jmesseder@...>:

                  > I've been meaning to ask this, but why would anyone want to do that.

                  Do what? Set peditPro to !p32 memos? So you can have test-editable
                  documents that are totally independent of, and therefore
                  un-screw-upable by, the Palm Memos app, conduit, desktop, and hotsync
                  errors.

                  > Hotsyncing is such a dandy way to backup, but not with !p32.

                  Don't confuse hotsync *backup* with hotsync *desktop*. !p32 has its
                  own database, Memo32DB, which is completely independent of the Palm
                  Memos Database. The !p32 Memo32DB is backed up when you hotsync. But
                  there is no *Desktop* app that relates to Memo32DB and consequently no
                  conduit that translates !p32 memos into something you see on the
                  desktop. But the database is backed up each time you hotsync. You can
                  use !p32 memos on your pc/mac however, by using the text editor methods
                  in the manual in the section "pedit vs pedit32".