Re: [peditors] PeditTool for windows

  • Jon Hind
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
      It's a front end to various databases for a major company, I don't know what
      it is based on.

      I guess auto indenting, macro creation, and multiple clipboards would be a
      good start :)

      Jon

      --
      Jon

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
        On 10/19/07, Jon Hind <yahoo@...> wrote:
        > It's a front end to various databases for a major company, I don't know what
        > it is based on.

        At a guess, Oracle.

        > I guess auto indenting, macro creation, and multiple clipboards would be a
        > good start :)

        How do you access it? There are some web based edit controls that run
        in a browser context that might be applicable.

        > Jon
      • Jon Hind
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
          The back end database in this case is access but it can be sql or oracle.
          And we access it via a windows program running locally on the PC.
          I am suprised at my own ignorance of the nuts and bolts :(

          Jon.

          --
          Jon

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 20, 2007
            On 10/20/07, Jon Hind <yahoo@...> wrote:
            > The back end database in this case is access but it can be sql or oracle.

            Doesn't much matter: all use a variant of SQL as the query language.

            > And we access it via a windows program running locally on the PC.

            What's the Windows program?

            If access were via a network using a browser, it would be one thing. m
            If you're using a PC client app of some sort, it's another.

            There are an assortment of good editors for PCs, some of which can
            reside in the system tray. My normal Windows editor at this point is
            a free, open source effort called Notepad++. It's built on the
            Scintilla edit control, and has a tabbed interface, syntax
            highlighting for a *large* number of languages, can be extended
            through plugins, and can reside in the tray.

            Go here: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php

            Offhand, I'd say a tray resident editor you could pop up to do things
            and paste the result into the PC client is about the best solution
            you'll have.

            > I am suprised at my own ignorance of the nuts and bolts :(

            There are lots of things we remain ignorant about until we have a good
            reason not to be.