off topic - PC hardware - the saga continues

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
      Hi Guys:

      Well, I bought a 250Gb WD SATA drive for $70 (great price at MicroCenter),
      installed it on my dead DELL PC, and used the DELL provided CD to restore the
      system. Nothing worked. Hours of wasted time. My 3 year service contract with
      DELL expired just a month before the PC died. Perfect timing.

      Then I recalled that I also have a Windows XP Pro that I purchased directly
      from MicroSoft so I used that. It worked.

      It turned out that, incredibly, the DELL CD itself had a corrupted file on it
      (pci.sys). How the heck this could happen is a mystery.

      Anyway, the MicroSoft installation process was totally brain-dead but it
      worked. E.g., it formatted my 250Gb drive to 125Gb. I had and have no idea
      how to use all 250Gb but, to be honest, I don't care since I will never use
      more than 30 Gb anyway.

      Now I have a plain vanilla Windows XP Pro on my DELL PC with service pack 2
      and with all the automatically installed windows updates but nothing else.

      Well, guess what, it appears that all new simulators crash on it immediately
      after launching them. The TC and T3 simulators work. The T5 and anything
      newer (Treos) crash.

      Isn't this a joke? I just don't know who is joking with me. Palm or
      MicroSoft?

      Is this the end of the story? Maybe. Unless you tell me how to make the
      simulators work again.

      All=my=best, Paul
    • Ian
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
        You should be able to download a restore CD image from Dell Support.

        The drive formatting thing is probably XP being cautious in the
        extreme about BIOS and controller support for large drives. Haven't
        had the ill fortune to install XP in a while, so can't offer much
        advice there.

        Likewise the simulators. (I hack on my Palm using OnBoard and LispMe.
        Keeps the toolchain short and I can do it anywhere.)

        On 8/29/07, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:
        > Hi Guys:
        >
        > Well, I bought a 250Gb WD SATA drive for $70 (great price at MicroCenter),
        > installed it on my dead DELL PC, and used the DELL provided CD to restore the
        > system. Nothing worked. Hours of wasted time. My 3 year service contract with
        > DELL expired just a month before the PC died. Perfect timing.
        >
        > Then I recalled that I also have a Windows XP Pro that I purchased directly
        > from MicroSoft so I used that. It worked.
        >
        > It turned out that, incredibly, the DELL CD itself had a corrupted file on it
        > (pci.sys). How the heck this could happen is a mystery.
        >
        > Anyway, the MicroSoft installation process was totally brain-dead but it
        > worked. E.g., it formatted my 250Gb drive to 125Gb. I had and have no idea
        > how to use all 250Gb but, to be honest, I don't care since I will never use
        > more than 30 Gb anyway.
        >
        > Now I have a plain vanilla Windows XP Pro on my DELL PC with service pack 2
        > and with all the automatically installed windows updates but nothing else.
        >
        > Well, guess what, it appears that all new simulators crash on it immediately
        > after launching them. The TC and T3 simulators work. The T5 and anything
        > newer (Treos) crash.
        >
        > Isn't this a joke? I just don't know who is joking with me. Palm or
        > MicroSoft?
        >
        > Is this the end of the story? Maybe. Unless you tell me how to make the
        > simulators work again.
        >
        > All=my=best, Paul
        >

        > Latest pedit/pToolSet/LapTopHack at http://www.osuweb.net/~pc/pca/pc_all.zip
        > pedit/pToolSet/LapTopHack scripting info/resources at http://www.peditors.com
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ian
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
          On 8/29/07, Ian <isoboroff@...> wrote:
          > You should be able to download a restore CD image from Dell Support.

          I should search before I reply. I couldn't find this in the Dell
          Support area. You might have to call their tech support... even if
          your warranty's out they should replace the bogus restore CD.

          Ian
        • Michael M. Rye
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
            Quite strange to have a corrupt file on the Dell restore CD.

            I've never had that large drive formatting issue (i.e. only half used).
            Perhaps you did some sort of unattended installation of XP that just took
            the default options? When doing the formatting, I always choose to do that
            manually and set the sizes by hand.

            If you can get your hands on the program called "Partition Magic" (from old
            company PowerQuest) you can change the partition to use the entire drive
            without losing any data.

            Not sure about your issues with the simulators.

            ---
            Mike

            >Well, I bought a 250Gb WD SATA drive for $70 (great price at MicroCenter),
            >installed it on my dead DELL PC, and used the DELL provided CD to restore the
            >system. Nothing worked. Hours of wasted time. My 3 year service contract with
            >DELL expired just a month before the PC died. Perfect timing.
            >
            >Then I recalled that I also have a Windows XP Pro that I purchased directly
            >from MicroSoft so I used that. It worked.
            >
            >It turned out that, incredibly, the DELL CD itself had a corrupted file on
            it
            >(pci.sys). How the heck this could happen is a mystery.
            >
            >Anyway, the MicroSoft installation process was totally brain-dead but it
            >worked. E.g., it formatted my 250Gb drive to 125Gb. I had and have no idea
            >how to use all 250Gb but, to be honest, I don't care since I will never use
            >more than 30 Gb anyway.
            >
            >Now I have a plain vanilla Windows XP Pro on my DELL PC with service pack 2
            >and with all the automatically installed windows updates but nothing else.
            >
            >Well, guess what, it appears that all new simulators crash on it
            immediately
            >after launching them. The TC and T3 simulators work. The T5 and anything
            >newer (Treos) crash.
            >
            >Isn't this a joke? I just don't know who is joking with me. Palm or
            >MicroSoft?
            >
            >Is this the end of the story? Maybe. Unless you tell me how to make the
            >simulators work again.
            >
            >All=my=best, Paul
          • john.messeder
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
              I don't know how to solve the problem with the simulators, but I can
              second the problem with the Dell CD. I bought my laptop nearly two years
              ago and when it went south, I found out the same thing. Fortunately, I
              was still under contract and they sent me a replacement set of discs.

              --

              /“Thirty-five million deaths leave an empty place at only one family
              table.” /
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 06:07:03PM -0400, john.messeder wrote:
                > I don't know how to solve the problem with the simulators, but I can
                > second the problem with the Dell CD. I bought my laptop nearly two years
                > ago and when it went south, I found out the same thing. Fortunately, I
                > was still under contract and they sent me a replacement set of discs.
                >
                > Paul Nevai wrote:
                > > It turned out that, incredibly, the DELL CD itself had a corrupted
                > > file on it
                > > (pci.sys). How the heck this could happen is a mystery.

                I can't believe this. Well, I do believe it but it is so bizarre that I can
                barely believe it. DELL is the #3 computer maker in the world (I think).

                /Paul
              • Phil Mendelsohn
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 29, 2007
                  From: Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>

                  I can't believe this. Well, I do believe it but it is so bizarre that I can
                  barely believe it. DELL is the #3 computer maker in the world (I think).

                  # 3 in Quality or Quantity?

                  Phil M.
                • Jerry Gluck
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 30, 2007
                    On Wednesday 29 August 2007, Paul Nevai wrote:

                    > Well, guess what, it appears that all new simulators crash on it
                    > immediately after launching them. The TC and T3 simulators work. The T5 and
                    > anything newer (Treos) crash.
                    >
                    > Isn't this a joke? I just don't know who is joking with me. Palm or
                    > MicroSoft?
                    >
                    > Is this the end of the story? Maybe. Unless you tell me how to make the
                    > simulators work again.
                    >
                    > All=my=best, Paul

                    Does this help? -

                    [snip] the dumb, hard-wired pointer to the SimSlotDriverVolume file [/snip]

                    [snip] the batch file that was patching the PalmSim.exe file was pointing to
                    the (wrong place) [/snip]

                    -Jerry
                    --
                    Commonsense is on perpetual backorder...
                    Registered Linux User #165194
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
                      Hi Jerry:

                      On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 10:10:44PM -0400, Jerry Gluck wrote:
                      > Does this help? -
                      >
                      > [snip] the dumb, hard-wired pointer to the SimSlotDriverVolume file [/snip]
                      >
                      > [snip] the batch file that was patching the PalmSim.exe file was pointing to
                      > the (wrong place) [/snip]

                      I'll try it out. /Paul
                    • Jon Hind
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                        I think of Dell as like Sony. In just one respect.

                        They are both annoying by their little quirks...

                        Jon

                        --
                        Jon

                        Email & MSN: jon@...
                        Google Talk: wjonhind
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 13, 2007
                          On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:53:00PM -0500, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:

                          > From: Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>
                          >
                          > I can't believe this. Well, I do believe it but it is so bizarre that I can
                          > barely believe it. DELL is the #3 computer maker in the world (I think).
                          >
                          > # 3 in Quality or Quantity?

                          Let me add. I asked Dell for a new set of system restoration CDs and after 3
                          or 4 e-mail exchanges and web-support-requests, I got the CDs within a day
                          free of charge. /Paul