Re: [peditors] pTools button mapping: overlooking something

    Message 1 of 9 , May 15, 2007
      Quoting "Lemire, David" <d.lemire@...>:

      > I changed from my CLIE to a Zire 72 a little while back, and am now
      > trying to get my setup a little better tuned. I'd put some simple
      > program launchers into pScript_xx's, and mapped them. My mapping of the
      > hotsync script to a stroke from Home to Menu still works, but my attempt
      > to use another numbered pScript with a button hold doesn't, and I don't
      > see why. If I use pToolPrefs to set the memo pad button normal to
      > launch pEdit and with a hold to run a pScript_xx, when I hold it it just
      > launches pEdit over and over.
      >
      > This was working on my CLIE; what am I missing now?
      >
      > DaveL

      Hi Dave-

      More than likely what you're missing is some niggly little typo in
      your hold'n'hold#1 pScript_xx, so it's not running, so the button press
      is defaulting back to pEdit. When you hold the button do you see the
      hold'n'hold message(s) happen? If so, do they say what you expect for
      the way you have the button mapped? Look *reeeeeally* carefully at the
      pScript you want to run with hold#1 and see if there isn't some little
      error stalling it. Or maybe you have two scripts assigned to whatever
      the _xx is, although in that case one of them should run. If you can't
      find a glitch in the pScript, try running it from pScriptTool or
      pScriptButtons and see if it works. If it works, but won't run from
      the hold'n'hold, try remapping. Also, with the improvements Paul has
      made, you can alos now launch an app using the "my Apps" feature. In
      pToolSet prefs tap the "my Apps" button, highlight one of the slots eg
      00:, 01:, etc, tap "Add RAM appl, and select the app you want. Then
      OK, and then go back to the Buttons button in pToolSet prefs and map to
      the "my appl's" number you just assigned (way down the list after the
      pScript Tools). Should work.

      ~ John
    • Lemire, David
      Message 2 of 9 , May 17, 2007
        John,

        Thanks. I'll double check, but: the scripts haven't changed, only the
        handheld has, and they were working on the CLIE. They were written a
        while back, but I don't think I've updated my pTools/Edit version since
        then.

        However, now that you mention it, I don't think I'm seeing the
        hold'n'hold messages at all, so maybe that's more of a pointer to the
        problem.

        DaveL

        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2007
          Hi Dave:

          On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 07:00:43AM -0400, Lemire, David wrote:
          > Thanks. I'll double check, but: the scripts haven't changed, only the
          > handheld has, and they were working on the CLIE. They were written a
          > while back, but I don't think I've updated my pTools/Edit version since
          > then.

          I have no idea what's going on, I haven't read anything and I don't want to.
          I just point out that different versions of the Palm OS can behave
          differently. This is definitely the case with the DIA but other things change
          too. Usually a more advanced version of the OS means, guess what, more
          trouble.

          /Paul [working hard to please JohnM who, in return, works hard to give
          technical and customer support for me]
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2007

            > /Paul [working hard to please JohnM who, in return, works hard to give
            > technical and customer support for me]

            Both of whom should pause working hard from time to time and go for a
            bike ride (when it stops raining). :)

            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2007
              Hi Dave-

              > Thanks. I'll double check, but: the scripts haven't changed, only the
              > handheld has, and they were working on the CLIE. They were written a
              > while back, but I don't think I've updated my pTools/Edit version since
              > then.
              >
              > However, now that you mention it, I don't think I'm seeing the
              > hold'n'hold messages at all, so maybe that's more of a pointer to the
              > problem.

              Yup. It might be worthwhile to freshly install the latest matched
              pair from Paul's website.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2007
                Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

                > Hi Dave-
                >
                >> Thanks. I'll double check, but: the scripts haven't changed, only the
                >> handheld has, and they were working on the CLIE. They were written a
                >> while back, but I don't think I've updated my pTools/Edit version since
                >> then.
                >>
                >> However, now that you mention it, I don't think I'm seeing the
                >> hold'n'hold messages at all, so maybe that's more of a pointer to the
                >> problem.
                >
                > Yup. It might be worthwhile to freshly install the latest matched
                > pair from Paul's website.
                >
                > ~ John

                Addendum- Maybe irrelevant since I don't know about the CLIE - but
                depending on how old it is and what OS version, you might have been
                using the old pToolButtons.prc which won't work properly in OS5. You
                need pToolButtonsPro.prc, which is with all the other .prc's in the
                main folder, and not pToolButtons.prc which is in a separate sub-folder.
                ~ John
              • Lemire, David
                Message 7 of 9 , May 17, 2007
                  > > Yup. It might be worthwhile to freshly install the latest matched
                  > > pair from Paul's website.
                  >
                  > Addendum- Maybe irrelevant since I don't know about the
                  > CLIE - but
                  > depending on how old it is and what OS version, you might
                  > have been using the old pToolButtons.prc which won't work
                  > properly in OS5. You need pToolButtonsPro.prc, which is with
                  > all the other .prc's in the main folder, and not
                  > pToolButtons.prc which is in a separate sub-folder.

                  The CLIE was an OS 4 device; my Zire 72 is running OS 5.2.8; my pEdit /
                  pTools versions are 8.04. You may well be right about the pToolButtons
                  version; I always found that particular a trifle confusing.

                  DaveL
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 17, 2007
                    Quoting "Lemire, David" <d.lemire@...>:

                    > The CLIE was an OS 4 device; my Zire 72 is running OS 5.2.8; my pEdit /
                    > pTools versions are 8.04. You may well be right about the pToolButtons
                    > version; I always found that particular a trifle confusing.
                    >
                    > DaveL

                    pToolSet and pEditPro are on v 8.10 currently. You might consider
                    completely removing your older versions and installing 8.10 fresh.
                    Just *ignore* the folder labelled pToolButtons and install the
                    pToolButtonsPro.prc along with all the other .prc's in the main folder.
                    Good chance that'll do it, if the pScript is ok.