Re: [peditors] I need your advice...

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
      Hi Dave:

      > I am assuming this question is regarding lists like the pMasterTool list.
      > Would switching to the lower-case system make it incremental searching not
      > work?

      It's a matter of convenience which I forgot to mention. Treo users would
      prefer labels ordered as "abcd...123..." as opposed to the rest of us who
      prefer "123...abc..." [or "123...ABC..."].

      EXPLANATION. Only the first few items are visible so let the list start with
      the convenient labels.

      /Paul
    • Alan Cohen
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
        I think we are talking about sort sequencing; my comments are directed in
        that way.

        Stick to ASCII sort and blame it on the 'standard'!

        The normal ASCII sort sequence is numbers, U/C LETTERS, l/c letters.

        In my opinion, the only way to be 'fair' to both long-term users and those
        with newer equipment is to be independent of hardware considerations, like
        model. Who knows if newer models will include a numeric keypad.
        --
        Alan B. Cohen
        AIM: alanbcohen GMT: alanbcohen ICQ: 49972123

      • bluefish1960
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@...> wrote:

          > EXPLANATION. Only the first few items are visible so let the list
          start with
          > the convenient labels.

          I think it also brings in the question of the other labels like *<:
          which trigger special toolset actions and appear in the list as these
          labels no matter where they are placed in custom lists.
          Should they not also be able to have lower or upper cased labels?

          Sorry if this complicates things. I just thought I would put in my 2
          UK pence worth.

          Regards
          Andy
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
            On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 04:34:03PM -0000, bluefish1960 wrote:
            > > EXPLANATION. Only the first few items are visible so let the list
            > start with
            > > the convenient labels.
            >
            > I think it also brings in the question of the other labels like *<:
            > which trigger special toolset actions and appear in the list as these
            > labels no matter where they are placed in custom lists.
            > Should they not also be able to have lower or upper cased labels?
            >
            > Sorry if this complicates things. I just thought I would put in my 2
            > UK pence worth.

            I know that we are getting into deeper and deeper trouble but I will not
            dwell on those issues. I just want to make the life of Treo users a little
            easier w/o touching more subtle issues. /Paul
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
              Hi Alan:

              > In my opinion, the only way to be 'fair' to both long-term users and those
              > with newer equipment is to be independent of hardware considerations, like
              > model. Who knows if newer models will include a numeric keypad.

              Excellent point. Alas, in practice I always do little favors. E.g., all my
              stuff included heavy duty HandEra support even though I have never seen a
              HandEra and no one under the age 60 knows what a HandEra is anyway [smiley].

              I would still not dare to remove the support although the new features no
              longer support it.

              Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support starts with
              3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.

              [Palm] Life sucks...Paul
            • Phil Mendelsohn
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                Paul Nevai wrote:

                > Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support starts with
                > 3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.

                Nope. I'm just appreciating pedit as I've recently dug out and begun
                using my wife's old Handspring Visor, OS V3.1H3 -- can't upgrade the OS
                further on this hardware, and I'm not really interested in new hardware.
                OK, I want it, but can't justify it -- this is completely functional,
                and income is not disposable.

                Don't forget those of us on the Isle of Misfit Toys, eh?

                Cheers,
                PhilM

                --
                "To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous
              • Jon Hind
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                  I wonder how many people use the number/letter option anyway. now I
                  have seen it in action I am not sure I like the way that one can
                  automatically run actions by selecting an invisible letter.

                  where is that cake. I know I just eat it but is still WANT it.

                  for the old people: the excellent bbc 4 tv channel is showing an
                  Eagles concert from way back. which I am recording for my 16 year old
                  daughter.

                  take it easy... take it easy......
                  Jon

                  --
                  Jon

                  Email and MSN: jon@...
                  Yahoo and Google Chat: wjonhind
                  Skype: jonhind
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Hi, Paul-

                    > Dear Guys:
                    >
                    > Here is a dilemma.

                    I've been having serious email/yahoo/computer problems the last 24 hours. This may
                    duplicate a response I *thought* I sent a few minutes ago but now not sure.

                    Summarizing the first one, I think it would be best to go to lower case alpha first, a,b,c....
                    at the top instead of 1,2,3. Will think about it more, but I've lost so much time to untangling
                    my systems that I can't right now.

                    cheers, John.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                      On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:55:48PM +0000, Jon Hind wrote:
                      > I wonder how many people use the number/letter option anyway. now I
                      > have seen it in action I am not sure I like the way that one can
                      > automatically run actions by selecting an invisible letter.

                      I do. Not all the time though.

                      > for the old people: the excellent bbc 4 tv channel is showing an
                      > Eagles concert from way back. which I am recording for my 16 year old
                      > daughter.

                      And for the young: Modern Marvels, the Assembly Line was just on the History
                      Channel [USA]. Incredible.

                      NOTICE

                      Development of pMasterTool will be suspended for the duration of the Ohio
                      State vs. Florida game. Production will resume around midnight...

                      [Sorry, non-USA/Canada peditors, you don't know what I am talking about]

                      /Paul
                    • Jon Hind
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                        I guessed it was College Football. An Ohio came second ?

                        --
                        Jon

                        Email and MSN: jon@...
                        Yahoo and Google Chat: wjonhind
                        Skype: jonhind

                      • Alan B. Cohen
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 9, 2007
                          As a long time Handera & TRGPro (OS4 beta, fourth machine) user who
                          hasn't yet reached his 56th birthday (a couple of weeks to go!), I do
                          appreciate the help you have always provided. And, I'll stay with
                          your fine products until they finally make a usable Linux PDA I can
                          buy in a real brick-and-mortar store in the US. The difference is
                          that a non-Handera user would never know that you've provided for us,
                          while what you have asked about here would change the way the software
                          operates for all users. Not just a Treo user. That is why I suggest
                          shifting the blame!!
                          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@...> wrote:

                          > Excellent point. Alas, in practice I always do little favors. E.g.,
                          all my stuff included heavy duty HandEra support even though I have
                          never seen a HandEra and no one under the age 60 knows what a HandEra
                          is anyway [smiley].
                          > I would still not dare to remove the support although the new
                          features no longer support it.
                          > Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support
                          starts with 3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.

                          > [Palm] Life sucks...Paul
                          Paul, Yes it does - but the alternatives are worse!

                          Alan
                        • Steve Kunkel
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 10, 2007
                            I seem to be even more cluless than usual -argh
                            Am I correct that this string of emails had it's origination in trying
                            to make Treos more convenient becuase of their restirctive qwerty
                            keyboard layout-- hence the desire to avoid numbers?

                            --
                            ===SteveK321=================
                            T5, WindowsXP, PocketMirror, Anagram, MacrosExpress, DateBk6, Bonsai,
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 10, 2007
                              On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 08:55:54AM -0800, Steve Kunkel wrote:
                              > I seem to be even more cluless than usual -argh
                              > Am I correct that this string of emails had it's origination in trying
                              > to make Treos more convenient becuase of their restirctive qwerty
                              > keyboard layout-- hence the desire to avoid numbers?

                              Short answer: yes

                              Long answer: absolutely

                              /Paul
                            • Franciso José Mancho
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 12, 2007
                                Hi Paul,

                                To day is my e-mail day and I saw your question. I don't have a clue of
                                programming stuff but taken as a logical problem I would offer together:

                                1a:

                                2b:

                                And then

                                B:

                                C:

                                EXPLANATION: don't take as the input of the user choice directly the ASCII
                                value but the remainder of the division by 30 (HEX numbers) or a similar
                                trick

                                See the table

                                char. (HEX ASCII value) remainder (after divison by 30)

                                1 (31), a (61) 1

                                2 (32), b (62) 2

                                3 (33), c (63) 3

                                ..... .... .... .... ....

                                A (41) 11

                                B (42) 12

                                C (43) 13

                                Note that you sacrifice a,b,c,... as the second option. I would forget about
                                zero and `

                                I hope it'll help. Best regards,

                                José

                                --
                                F. Jose Mancho
                                Nairobi. Kenya

                              • Franciso José Mancho
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 13, 2007
                                  Sorry I forgot to say that when operating with decimal numbers if you want
                                  "1" and "a" ASCII value ("2" and "b", "3" and "c", etc.) to come to be the
                                  same figure you have to divide by 48 and take the remainder (Maybe this is
                                  obvious yet no so clear to be seen in a table)

                                  José

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
                                    On 1/8/07, Phil Mendelsohn <phil@...> wrote:
                                    > Paul Nevai wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support starts with
                                    > > 3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.
                                    >
                                    > Nope. I'm just appreciating pedit as I've recently dug out and begun
                                    > using my wife's old Handspring Visor, OS V3.1H3 -- can't upgrade the OS
                                    > further on this hardware, and I'm not really interested in new hardware.

                                    I had one of those (and still have its carcass around). It's a useful
                                    device. There are an assortment of applications that require OS 3.5
                                    or better you won't be able to run, but for the basic PIM
                                    functionality, it works fine. If you can find one on eBay of the
                                    like, you might want to get one of the PiTech MemPlug Springboard
                                    expansion memory modules. I have a MemPlug CF adapter with a 256MB CF
                                    card in the SO's Visor Pro that works just fine, and worked before
                                    that in the old Deluxe.

                                    The device sees the expansion card as a disk formatted with the FAT
                                    file system. The device sees programs in the /Palm/Lauincher
                                    directory on the card, and they can be run from there. In addition,
                                    various applications can see data there. For instance, the WordSmith
                                    editor can see documents in /Palm/Programs/Wotrdsmith, and the Plucker
                                    offline reader can see ebooks in /Palm/Programs/Plucker.

                                    Feel free to ask questions.