Re: [peditors] I need your advice...

  • David Ellis
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
      I am assuming this question is regarding lists like the pMasterTool list.

      Would switching to the lower-case system make it incremental searching not
      work?

      Dave

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
        Hi Dave:

        > I am assuming this question is regarding lists like the pMasterTool list.
        > Would switching to the lower-case system make it incremental searching not
        > work?

        It's a matter of convenience which I forgot to mention. Treo users would
        prefer labels ordered as "abcd...123..." as opposed to the rest of us who
        prefer "123...abc..." [or "123...ABC..."].

        EXPLANATION. Only the first few items are visible so let the list start with
        the convenient labels.

        /Paul
      • Alan Cohen
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
          I think we are talking about sort sequencing; my comments are directed in
          that way.

          Stick to ASCII sort and blame it on the 'standard'!

          The normal ASCII sort sequence is numbers, U/C LETTERS, l/c letters.

          In my opinion, the only way to be 'fair' to both long-term users and those
          with newer equipment is to be independent of hardware considerations, like
          model. Who knows if newer models will include a numeric keypad.
          --
          Alan B. Cohen
          AIM: alanbcohen GMT: alanbcohen ICQ: 49972123

        • bluefish1960
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@...> wrote:

            > EXPLANATION. Only the first few items are visible so let the list
            start with
            > the convenient labels.

            I think it also brings in the question of the other labels like *<:
            which trigger special toolset actions and appear in the list as these
            labels no matter where they are placed in custom lists.
            Should they not also be able to have lower or upper cased labels?

            Sorry if this complicates things. I just thought I would put in my 2
            UK pence worth.

            Regards
            Andy
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
              On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 04:34:03PM -0000, bluefish1960 wrote:
              > > EXPLANATION. Only the first few items are visible so let the list
              > start with
              > > the convenient labels.
              >
              > I think it also brings in the question of the other labels like *<:
              > which trigger special toolset actions and appear in the list as these
              > labels no matter where they are placed in custom lists.
              > Should they not also be able to have lower or upper cased labels?
              >
              > Sorry if this complicates things. I just thought I would put in my 2
              > UK pence worth.

              I know that we are getting into deeper and deeper trouble but I will not
              dwell on those issues. I just want to make the life of Treo users a little
              easier w/o touching more subtle issues. /Paul
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                Hi Alan:

                > In my opinion, the only way to be 'fair' to both long-term users and those
                > with newer equipment is to be independent of hardware considerations, like
                > model. Who knows if newer models will include a numeric keypad.

                Excellent point. Alas, in practice I always do little favors. E.g., all my
                stuff included heavy duty HandEra support even though I have never seen a
                HandEra and no one under the age 60 knows what a HandEra is anyway [smiley].

                I would still not dare to remove the support although the new features no
                longer support it.

                Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support starts with
                3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.

                [Palm] Life sucks...Paul
              • Phil Mendelsohn
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Paul Nevai wrote:

                  > Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support starts with
                  > 3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.

                  Nope. I'm just appreciating pedit as I've recently dug out and begun
                  using my wife's old Handspring Visor, OS V3.1H3 -- can't upgrade the OS
                  further on this hardware, and I'm not really interested in new hardware.
                  OK, I want it, but can't justify it -- this is completely functional,
                  and income is not disposable.

                  Don't forget those of us on the Isle of Misfit Toys, eh?

                  Cheers,
                  PhilM

                  --
                  "To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." -- Anonymous
                • Jon Hind
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                    I wonder how many people use the number/letter option anyway. now I
                    have seen it in action I am not sure I like the way that one can
                    automatically run actions by selecting an invisible letter.

                    where is that cake. I know I just eat it but is still WANT it.

                    for the old people: the excellent bbc 4 tv channel is showing an
                    Eagles concert from way back. which I am recording for my 16 year old
                    daughter.

                    take it easy... take it easy......
                    Jon

                    --
                    Jon

                    Email and MSN: jon@...
                    Yahoo and Google Chat: wjonhind
                    Skype: jonhind
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                      Hi, Paul-

                      > Dear Guys:
                      >
                      > Here is a dilemma.

                      I've been having serious email/yahoo/computer problems the last 24 hours. This may
                      duplicate a response I *thought* I sent a few minutes ago but now not sure.

                      Summarizing the first one, I think it would be best to go to lower case alpha first, a,b,c....
                      at the top instead of 1,2,3. Will think about it more, but I've lost so much time to untangling
                      my systems that I can't right now.

                      cheers, John.
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                        On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 08:55:48PM +0000, Jon Hind wrote:
                        > I wonder how many people use the number/letter option anyway. now I
                        > have seen it in action I am not sure I like the way that one can
                        > automatically run actions by selecting an invisible letter.

                        I do. Not all the time though.

                        > for the old people: the excellent bbc 4 tv channel is showing an
                        > Eagles concert from way back. which I am recording for my 16 year old
                        > daughter.

                        And for the young: Modern Marvels, the Assembly Line was just on the History
                        Channel [USA]. Incredible.

                        NOTICE

                        Development of pMasterTool will be suspended for the duration of the Ohio
                        State vs. Florida game. Production will resume around midnight...

                        [Sorry, non-USA/Canada peditors, you don't know what I am talking about]

                        /Paul
                      • Jon Hind
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                          I guessed it was College Football. An Ohio came second ?

                          --
                          Jon

                          Email and MSN: jon@...
                          Yahoo and Google Chat: wjonhind
                          Skype: jonhind

                        • Alan B. Cohen
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 9, 2007
                            As a long time Handera & TRGPro (OS4 beta, fourth machine) user who
                            hasn't yet reached his 56th birthday (a couple of weeks to go!), I do
                            appreciate the help you have always provided. And, I'll stay with
                            your fine products until they finally make a usable Linux PDA I can
                            buy in a real brick-and-mortar store in the US. The difference is
                            that a non-Handera user would never know that you've provided for us,
                            while what you have asked about here would change the way the software
                            operates for all users. Not just a Treo user. That is why I suggest
                            shifting the blame!!
                            --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@...> wrote:

                            > Excellent point. Alas, in practice I always do little favors. E.g.,
                            all my stuff included heavy duty HandEra support even though I have
                            never seen a HandEra and no one under the age 60 knows what a HandEra
                            is anyway [smiley].
                            > I would still not dare to remove the support although the new
                            features no longer support it.
                            > Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support
                            starts with 3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.

                            > [Palm] Life sucks...Paul
                            Paul, Yes it does - but the alternatives are worse!

                            Alan
                          • Steve Kunkel
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 10, 2007
                              I seem to be even more cluless than usual -argh
                              Am I correct that this string of emails had it's origination in trying
                              to make Treos more convenient becuase of their restirctive qwerty
                              keyboard layout-- hence the desire to avoid numbers?

                              --
                              ===SteveK321=================
                              T5, WindowsXP, PocketMirror, Anagram, MacrosExpress, DateBk6, Bonsai,
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 10, 2007
                                On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 08:55:54AM -0800, Steve Kunkel wrote:
                                > I seem to be even more cluless than usual -argh
                                > Am I correct that this string of emails had it's origination in trying
                                > to make Treos more convenient becuase of their restirctive qwerty
                                > keyboard layout-- hence the desire to avoid numbers?

                                Short answer: yes

                                Long answer: absolutely

                                /Paul
                              • Franciso José Mancho
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 12, 2007
                                  Hi Paul,

                                  To day is my e-mail day and I saw your question. I don't have a clue of
                                  programming stuff but taken as a logical problem I would offer together:

                                  1a:

                                  2b:

                                  And then

                                  B:

                                  C:

                                  EXPLANATION: don't take as the input of the user choice directly the ASCII
                                  value but the remainder of the division by 30 (HEX numbers) or a similar
                                  trick

                                  See the table

                                  char. (HEX ASCII value) remainder (after divison by 30)

                                  1 (31), a (61) 1

                                  2 (32), b (62) 2

                                  3 (33), c (63) 3

                                  ..... .... .... .... ....

                                  A (41) 11

                                  B (42) 12

                                  C (43) 13

                                  Note that you sacrifice a,b,c,... as the second option. I would forget about
                                  zero and `

                                  I hope it'll help. Best regards,

                                  José

                                  --
                                  F. Jose Mancho
                                  Nairobi. Kenya

                                • Franciso José Mancho
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 13, 2007
                                    Sorry I forgot to say that when operating with decimal numbers if you want
                                    "1" and "a" ASCII value ("2" and "b", "3" and "c", etc.) to come to be the
                                    same figure you have to divide by 48 and take the remainder (Maybe this is
                                    obvious yet no so clear to be seen in a table)

                                    José

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 15, 2007
                                      On 1/8/07, Phil Mendelsohn <phil@...> wrote:
                                      > Paul Nevai wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Guess what, pedit no longer supports Palm OS 3.0. The support starts with
                                      > > 3.1. I bet all pedit users are way beyond that too.
                                      >
                                      > Nope. I'm just appreciating pedit as I've recently dug out and begun
                                      > using my wife's old Handspring Visor, OS V3.1H3 -- can't upgrade the OS
                                      > further on this hardware, and I'm not really interested in new hardware.

                                      I had one of those (and still have its carcass around). It's a useful
                                      device. There are an assortment of applications that require OS 3.5
                                      or better you won't be able to run, but for the basic PIM
                                      functionality, it works fine. If you can find one on eBay of the
                                      like, you might want to get one of the PiTech MemPlug Springboard
                                      expansion memory modules. I have a MemPlug CF adapter with a 256MB CF
                                      card in the SO's Visor Pro that works just fine, and worked before
                                      that in the old Deluxe.

                                      The device sees the expansion card as a disk formatted with the FAT
                                      file system. The device sees programs in the /Palm/Lauincher
                                      directory on the card, and they can be run from there. In addition,
                                      various applications can see data there. For instance, the WordSmith
                                      editor can see documents in /Palm/Programs/Wotrdsmith, and the Plucker
                                      offline reader can see ebooks in /Palm/Programs/Plucker.

                                      Feel free to ask questions.