Re: Fwd: Berms

  • marksrebnik
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2007
      I'm with you on this one, Alan!....at least in terms of how the word is commonly used now.

      FWIW, I've been in the architecture biz for over 30 years and have always heard berms
      used by other other architects, landscape architects, civil engineers, and contractors in
      Oregon, California, and New York as you note below.

      So I'm pretty sure this is the generally accepted definition in use today.

      However, interestingly enough, Ohio seems to be using the word closer to the original
      definition....

      I just checked my copy of 'The Penguin Dictionary of Architecture', John Fleming, Hugh
      Honour, Nikolaus Pevsner, 1966. Here's the definition listed:

      "Berm:

      The level area separating ditch from bank on a hill-fort or barrow."

      HTH,

      Mark