Re: [peditors] Best Way to Launch pScripts?

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
      Hi, Dwight-

      Quoting carrdwight <carrdwight@...>:
      > Greetings and Happy New Year to All,
      >
      > I have upgraded to a Treo 700P and am going through the process of
      > upgrading my usage systems. Given the progress in pToolSet, I thought
      > I'd ask for opinions on the best way to launch scripts.

      I think "best" depends on what you're doing with the specific
      pScript of the moment. I use all the ways for different purposes, thus-

      1) I have a number of pScripts which I use frequently, during tasks
      when I need to use the stylus, which are activated by stylus taps at
      various places around the screen and control bar borders via pToolSet
      prefs/Taps. Example, a pScript which captures all text to the left of
      the cursor and puts it in the clipboard.
      I don't know if screen taps are an option on the 700P. ?

      2) I have a number of pScripts which I use frequently, during tasks
      when I don't need to use the stylus, which are activated by button
      hold'n'holds via pToolSet prefs/Buttons. Example, a pScript which with
      one button press turns off wifi and closes the DIA.

      3) I have more pScripts that I use during stylus use than there are
      convenient border tap zones. I keep these in my pScriptButtons lists
      and launch the pScriptButtons from a border tap (top right). In fact,
      I have *all* my pScripts as pScriptButtons because that makes what
      amounts to a table of contents or index for them that is easily
      scrollable but doesn't interfere with any other way of launching.
      Which is to say, each one of my scripts is preceeded in the pScriptPad
      by its own unique "custBtn.xxx.x". Example, I've made pScripts to
      print all the most common pScripting pFunctions such as /&script$,
      /&tap, etc., and keep them on two contiguous pScriptButton pages for
      ease of use when writing a pScript. I keep the most commonly used
      pScripts on page 001.

      4) I have some pScripts that I launch with button hold'n'holds for
      which I want to be able to see a descriptive name for (e.g.
      pSnapperScript) rather than a pScript identifier number (e.g.
      pScript_23), so as not to have to remember which is which as the
      hold'n'hold messages are flying by. This is done by appending the
      pScript to one of the pScript miniapps and renaming the miniapp and
      then launching it with a button hold. This requires a several-step
      setup process which I've described here before. Example,
      pSnapperScript turns on wifi and then launches Snapper and retrieves my
      email with one button hold.

      5) At the moment I use pScriptTool, and the high-ascii quick pScript
      activation mechanism, for only one specific use, to launch one pScript.
      I have pScriptTool set to launch with a border tap (bottom 2nd
      fourth) and to open to a favorites list that has only one pScript,
      which has a one-high-ascii-character name. I use that pScript name for
      whatever pScript I'm writing/experimenting with at the time, so I can
      test as I go either with pScriptTool with two taps, always the same
      two, or with ESC-character, leaving all other buttons, taps, etc.,
      unchanged.
      Using pScriptTool and/or the high ascii launch might be particularly
      useful with a keyboard hh like the 700P, but there I have no experience
      (use TX).

      Happy New Year ~ John