Best Way to Launch pScripts?

  • carrdwight
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
      Greetings and Happy New Year to All,

      I have upgraded to a Treo 700P and am going through the process of
      upgrading my usage systems. Given the progress in pToolSet, I thought
      I'd ask for opinions on the best way to launch scripts.

      Since my new device has enough memory to add some additional
      applications, I am planning on re-loading pedit if that adds any script
      launch benefits, or any other benefits that anyone would like to
      comment on.

      By the way, other than losing GSM, I am very happy with the Treo 700P.
      My Treo 650, as well as my T3 before that, were constant reset
      machines. The 700P "pauses" when it is between phone signals, but
      otherwise is a very robust device.

      Thanks,
      Dwight...
    • Steve Kunkel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
        On 12/31/06, carrdwight <carrdwight@...> wrote:
        > Greetings and Happy New Year to All,
        >
        > I have upgraded to a Treo 700P and am going through the process of
        > upgrading my usage systems. Given the progress in pToolSet, I thought
        > I'd ask for opinions on the best way to launch scripts.
        >
        > Since my new device has enough memory to add some additional
        > applications, I am planning on re-loading pedit if that adds any script
        > launch benefits, or any other benefits that anyone would like to
        > comment on.
        >
        > By the way, other than losing GSM, I am very happy with the Treo 700P.
        > My Treo 650, as well as my T3 before that, were constant reset
        > machines. The 700P "pauses" when it is between phone signals, but
        > otherwise is a very robust device.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dwight...

        My two main ways are
        1. Assigning them to hard button presses.
        2. Using the pScriptButtons (which is also assigned to a button press.

        --
        ===SteveK321=================
        T5, WindowsXP, PocketMirror, Anagram, MacrosExpress, DateBk6, Bonsai,
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
          Hi, Dwight-

          Quoting carrdwight <carrdwight@...>:
          > Greetings and Happy New Year to All,
          >
          > I have upgraded to a Treo 700P and am going through the process of
          > upgrading my usage systems. Given the progress in pToolSet, I thought
          > I'd ask for opinions on the best way to launch scripts.

          I think "best" depends on what you're doing with the specific
          pScript of the moment. I use all the ways for different purposes, thus-

          1) I have a number of pScripts which I use frequently, during tasks
          when I need to use the stylus, which are activated by stylus taps at
          various places around the screen and control bar borders via pToolSet
          prefs/Taps. Example, a pScript which captures all text to the left of
          the cursor and puts it in the clipboard.
          I don't know if screen taps are an option on the 700P. ?

          2) I have a number of pScripts which I use frequently, during tasks
          when I don't need to use the stylus, which are activated by button
          hold'n'holds via pToolSet prefs/Buttons. Example, a pScript which with
          one button press turns off wifi and closes the DIA.

          3) I have more pScripts that I use during stylus use than there are
          convenient border tap zones. I keep these in my pScriptButtons lists
          and launch the pScriptButtons from a border tap (top right). In fact,
          I have *all* my pScripts as pScriptButtons because that makes what
          amounts to a table of contents or index for them that is easily
          scrollable but doesn't interfere with any other way of launching.
          Which is to say, each one of my scripts is preceeded in the pScriptPad
          by its own unique "custBtn.xxx.x". Example, I've made pScripts to
          print all the most common pScripting pFunctions such as /&script$,
          /&tap, etc., and keep them on two contiguous pScriptButton pages for
          ease of use when writing a pScript. I keep the most commonly used
          pScripts on page 001.

          4) I have some pScripts that I launch with button hold'n'holds for
          which I want to be able to see a descriptive name for (e.g.
          pSnapperScript) rather than a pScript identifier number (e.g.
          pScript_23), so as not to have to remember which is which as the
          hold'n'hold messages are flying by. This is done by appending the
          pScript to one of the pScript miniapps and renaming the miniapp and
          then launching it with a button hold. This requires a several-step
          setup process which I've described here before. Example,
          pSnapperScript turns on wifi and then launches Snapper and retrieves my
          email with one button hold.

          5) At the moment I use pScriptTool, and the high-ascii quick pScript
          activation mechanism, for only one specific use, to launch one pScript.
          I have pScriptTool set to launch with a border tap (bottom 2nd
          fourth) and to open to a favorites list that has only one pScript,
          which has a one-high-ascii-character name. I use that pScript name for
          whatever pScript I'm writing/experimenting with at the time, so I can
          test as I go either with pScriptTool with two taps, always the same
          two, or with ESC-character, leaving all other buttons, taps, etc.,
          unchanged.
          Using pScriptTool and/or the high ascii launch might be particularly
          useful with a keyboard hh like the 700P, but there I have no experience
          (use TX).

          Happy New Year ~ John