pMagiPad names for button hold'n'holds

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2006
      I have found a trick to make the identifier message for a hold'n'hold button activated
      magiPad (or other item) launch display a user-designated name, e.g. "Ideas", for the
      magiPad rather than the default name e.g. "magiPad-#2". I've used a version of this for
      quite some time but it involved a multistep pScript that was a bit klunky. Now, however,
      with the advent thanks to Paul of "/&specAct", it is quick and elegant. But there is a trick.

      The problem - I have one hard button hold'n'hold programmed to open three different
      magiPads for three different purposes with holds #2, #3, and #4, as well as a different
      function for hold#1. Thus had to always remember which pad was which by number, not
      always successfully. I had renamed the pads, for example magiPad#2 is "Ideas", but just
      using the pMagiPad#2 hold'n'hold item still gives the default name in the screen message.

      The solution. Install one of the miniAppRunners (in this case pIScript). Using FileZ,
      change the name from pIScript to pIdeasScript. In pScriptPad write a pScript that begins
      "{pScript#Ideas:: " instead of " {pScript#I "
      In pToolSetPrefs/my apps use "Add RAM appl" to select pIdeasScript for one of the "open
      my appl" slots. In pToolSetprefs/buttons assign the application "pIdeasScript" to the
      hold'n'hold of choice. In pToolSetPrefs use "SpecActIDs" to get the ID# that corresponds to
      the magiPad in question, in this case magiPad#2 = ID# 191. Use this to complete the
      pScript. And here's the trick. If the pScript is wriiten straightforwardly as follows,

      {pScript#Ideas::/&specAct[191]}

      it won't run via the miniApp, even though it will if activated by some other pScript
      activation method. Some /&specAct[], such as the ones for regular apps will, but not the
      ones for magiPads. *However*, if the miniApp name and the specAct ID are separated by
      chaining, it will work (no idea why), thus-

      {pScript#Ideas::/&script$[@@ideas2@@]}
      {ideas2::/&specAct[191]}

      So now, when I hold down button #3 instead of seeing a series of messages "pMagiPad#2",
      "pMagiPad#3", "pMagiPad#4", etc., I see "pIdeasScript", p"NotesScript", etc. Much easier
      to keep track.

      I hope some out ther can use this too.