par/pcal/calendar

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2006
      Hi Guys:

      How many of you are using "par", see

      http://www.djw.org/product/palm/par

      How about "pcal", see

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcal/

      I love them and they compiled on every unix/linux system I tried.

      How about the standard unix/linux "calendar"?

      The reason I am asking this is that I got sick'n'tired that every time I
      change my desktop OS, I need to spend endless hours on trying to figure out
      how to combine my desktop and palm calendars. Hence, I decided to write a
      program which will do it and which, hopefully, will easily compile on all
      standard unix/linux systems. I don't want to depend on other people's work
      and complicated systems such as pilot-link which may or may not do what I
      want.

      The name of the game is full automation doable with a nightly cron job.

      My project progresses great [at the expense of working on pToolSet]. I'll be
      happy to put this into the public domain [unless I change my mind].

      Am I the only one whose life depends so much on accurate calendars e-mailed
      to me on a daily basis and on the ability to produce calendar outputs in
      every imaginable way such as my program "pcg keyword" finds every calendar
      event since 1993 which has the word "keyword" in it.

      /Paul
    • Lemire, David
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
        > How many of you are using "par", see
        > How about "pcal", see
        > I love them and they compiled on every unix/linux system I tried.

        Since I'm not on unix/linux, it's kinda N/A for me, but they do sound
        like useful programs.

        > Am I the only one whose life depends so much on accurate
        > calendars e-mailed to me on a daily basis and on the ability
        > to produce calendar outputs in every imaginable way such as
        > my program "pcg keyword" finds every calendar event since
        > 1993 which has the word "keyword" in it.

        Maybe. :-) Sounds like you may have come up with a working solution to
        the every-vexing calendar management challenge. Certainly everyone I
        know struggles with that to some degree. Out of curiousity, is the
        general idea that you input calendar events to some database and then
        these programs are used (combined with cron?) to generate and email you
        your own calendar?

        DaveL
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
          > Out of curiousity, is the general idea that you input calendar events to
          > some database and then these programs are used (combined with cron?) to
          > generate and email you your own calendar?

          Almost. Actually I have two sets of DBs. One is the Palm. The other is an
          actual set of DBs. For each year since 1993 I have one db called
          calendar.1993, calendar.1994,...,calendar.2020. Then I put the stuff init.
          Oh yes, I also have a recurring.events DB and birthday_etc DB. Then I have
          dozens of unix shell scripts and unix c programs manipulating the DBs.

          I am the only person in my family and among my friends who remembers every
          birthday and deathday, etc. Now you know the secret.

          EXAMPLE. "pcg 7/20" gives me.

          07/20 Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann died in 1866 in Selasca, Italy @
          07/20 Ludwig Otto Blumenthal was born in 1876 in Frankfurt am Main, Germany @
          07/20 Andrei Andreyevich Markov died in Petrograd (St Petersburg), Russia @
          07/20 failed attempt to blow up Hitler in 1944 in Germany @
          07/20 Matthew Edwin Carpenter, the skyrunner, was born in 1964 in the USA
          07/20 Apollo 11 with Neil Alden Armstrong and Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr. land
          on the moon in 1969 - SPACE @

          /Paul