pToolSet, pedit. etc.

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
      Hi Guys:

      I've been busy now with other stuff. That explains the long silence. Among
      others, I am moving from SunOS Solaris to linux which requires recompiling my
      entire life. On the mac front, finally I learned how to use VNC to control
      one mac from another [with a gazillion firewalls between the macs].

      I plan to release a new pToolSet at the end of November with an improved
      pRotatorTool where the 4 hard keys also help to navigate the buttons.

      Both pToolSet and pedit will also have improved list navigation.

      Best regards, Paul
    • Neil Smithline
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
        Ooo - my knees are knocking at the thought of an update.

        And while we're on the topic (smart people always run when they hear me say
        those words), I've been using p* programs for about 6 weeks now and have a
        few "minor" suggestions...

        1. When in scriptPad mode there should be a "smart indent" option.
        This differs from auto-indent which just indents the same amount as the
        previous line to something that looks at the current syntax and guesses.
        Emacs proved that with only local syntax checking a great deal can be done.
        For example, lining up arguments for unmatched open/close square brackets,
        moving in one indent for close curly, always starting open curly without any
        leading spaces, etc... I'm sure you can come up with a better set of rules
        than I could (although having it rule-based, with pre-configured but
        configurable rules would be great!).
        2. I really like the pMasterTool interface of hitting one key and
        having all those commands available but it only works for p-commands. The
        interface to pScriptTool and pLaunchTool just aren't the same for launching
        a long list of apps (even with show faves by default set). I now hardly ever
        use my launcher - run pScriptTool with the list of fave-lists popped up by
        default (eg: "applications", "pda", "editing"), then select a list and have
        the faves pop-up. Then select a script. I have a script for all of the
        p-commands and regular programs I use routinely. Still, I would prefer to
        have a pLaunchTool pop up with a list of pMasterTools labeled
        "applications", etc... then select that. The pMasterTools interface is just
        better for selecting from a long list.
        3. I'd like to be able to re-letter the shortcuts in pMasterTool,
        pScriptTool, pLaunchTool. The latter two have no shortcuts to individual
        items and the former has pre-selected ones, ones that aren't very convenient
        when I'm on my Treo keyboard.

        I have more but I'll throw them in another time as I have stuff to do.
        Thanks for all the great work Paul!

        - Neil

        On 10/28/06, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

        > Hi Guys:
        >
        > I've been busy now with other stuff. That explains the long silence. Among
        > others, I am moving from SunOS Solaris to linux which requires recompiling
        > my
        > entire life. On the mac front, finally I learned how to use VNC to control
        > one mac from another [with a gazillion firewalls between the macs].
        >
        > I plan to release a new pToolSet at the end of November with an improved
        > pRotatorTool where the 4 hard keys also help to navigate the buttons.
        >
        > Both pToolSet and pedit will also have improved list navigation.
        >
        > Best regards, Paul

      • Steve Kunkel
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
          > 1. When in scriptPad mode there should be a "smart indent" option.

          I'd go for this, since I like to indent my pScripts anyway. Many
          folks like to keep their scripts as long unbroken strings though, so
          this would be counterproductive for them. Also note that the longer
          of the pFunctions barely fit on one line. Indenting causes then to
          'break' into two lines such as
          /&ifScriptD
          [$1==$2,@@nextScript@@]
          which kindof makes it look like two separate scripts.

          > 2. I really like the pMasterTool interface of hitting one key and
          > having all those commands available but it only works for p-commands.

          I still use Hi-Launcher, so no comment on this.

          > 3. I'd like to be able to re-letter the shortcuts in pMasterTool,

          Not sure I understand this one... They all have ESC keys. I could go
          for lowercase instead of capital letters, but I don't see the benefit
          of trading one letter for another.

          --
          ===SteveK====================
          myspace.com/stevekunkel, T5, WindowsXP, PocketMirror, Anagram,
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
            Yeah - Some scripts would be messier with this but it should probably be an
            option that is off by default. Perhaps it can have some configuration
            switches that allow things to look better. For example, in your example I
            would say that it should auto-indent the second line so that it doesn't look
            like a different script.

            And regarding the ESC keys, I would like to be able to name them myself so
            they could be pneumonic, but at least making it such that they weren't all
            caps, letters, and symbols (all of which are two keys on my treo) would be a
            help.

            - Neil

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
              Hi, Neil-

              Quoting Neil Smithline <peditors@...>:

              <<SNIP>>

              > 3. I'd like to be able to re-letter the shortcuts in pMasterTool,
              > pScriptTool, pLaunchTool. The latter two have no shortcuts to individual
              > items and the former has pre-selected ones, ones that aren't very
              > convenient
              > when I'm on my Treo keyboard.

              You can do that now for pMasterTool to some extent. As you know,
              there are 16 available pMasterTool lists, 1-0 and A-F. Open
              pMasterTool, do menu>pMT1>pMasterToolPrefs>menu>SwitchLists, and
              you'll see them all. Pick one you've never altered, and then you can
              alter it as you wish--move things around, remove some, etc. The
              identifier characters for the items on the list remain in numerical and
              alpha order, they aren't stuck to the items. So, for example, whatever
              you sort to the eleventh spot down the list will be associated with the
              identifier letter "A", etc. Then you can rename this customized
              pMasterTool and set it as your default.

              Is that of any help?
              ~ John
            • Neil Smithline
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 28, 2006
                No but it was nice of you to try :-)

                I want to have lower-case shortcuts. One key on my treo keyboard. Not a
                shifted key. and pMT still can't launch apps or scripts. I want to use it as
                my launcher.

                - Neil

                On 10/28/06, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

                > Hi, Neil-
                >
                > Quoting Neil Smithline <peditors@... <peditors%40smithline.net>
                > >:
                >
                > <<SNIP>>
                >
                > > 3. I'd like to be able to re-letter the shortcuts in pMasterTool,
                > > pScriptTool, pLaunchTool. The latter two have no shortcuts to individual
                > > items and the former has pre-selected ones, ones that aren't very
                > > convenient
                > > when I'm on my Treo keyboard.
                >
                > You can do that now for pMasterTool to some extent. As you know,
                > there are 16 available pMasterTool lists, 1-0 and A-F. Open
                > pMasterTool, do menu>pMT1>pMasterToolPrefs>menu>SwitchLists, and
                > you'll see them all. Pick one you've never altered, and then you can
                > alter it as you wish--move things around, remove some, etc. The
                > identifier characters for the items on the list remain in numerical and
                > alpha order, they aren't stuck to the items. So, for example, whatever
                > you sort to the eleventh spot down the list will be associated with the
                > identifier letter "A", etc. Then you can rename this customized
                > pMasterTool and set it as your default.
                >
                > Is that of any help?
                > ~ John

              • Jon Hind
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 29, 2006
                  I asked Paul for this a long time ago. I remember there was a good reason
                  why it was upper case; But I can't remember why !

                  Jon

                  --
                  Jon

                  Email and MSN: jon@...
                  Yahoo and Google Chat: wjonhind
                  Skype: jonhind

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 29, 2006
                    Hi Neil:

                    > I want to have lower-case shortcuts. One key on my treo keyboard. Not a
                    > shifted key. and pMT still can't launch apps or scripts. I want to use it as
                    > my launcher.

                    The lower case is used for other types of searches. That's why it can't be
                    used for the labels.

                    However, come back to me with this after the next release and I will look into
                    it. Right now I have no time to think about it.

                    All=my=best, Paul
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 29, 2006
                      Hi Neil:

                      > And regarding the ESC keys, I would like to be able to name them myself so
                      > they could be pneumonic, but at least making it such that they weren't all
                      > caps, letters, and symbols (all of which are two keys on my treo) would be a
                      > help.

                      The ESC keys can be lower case. Did I misunderstand you? /Paul
                    • Neil Smithline
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 29, 2006
                        Perhaps I used the wrong terminology - What I think I meant is the
                        "shortcut" key. Those are all UC or symbols. The ESC key can be LC.

                        And yes, I understand that the shortcut keys are UC & symbols because there
                        are standard LC shortcuts that apply to pMT and other lists that are LC that
                        are used for generic lists navigation. What my request is to have a switch
                        to change all that. It doesn't sound hard, a simple preference in pMT or
                        perhaps somewhere else that says "Invert Case on List Navigation Shortcuts".
                        That would switch all shortcuts that are currently UC to LC and vice versa.
                        The switch should be universal for list navigation I guess to keep the
                        coding simple as well as to keep the UI consistent.

                        If there's such a thing as an "official request", I guess that is it. Thanks
                        for beating me up until I could get it into a single sentence like that.
                        Sometimes I'm better at ideas than English. Not to say that anyone else will
                        like my idea but I do suspect it has some appeal to others. As a side note,
                        I'd be willing to write an "Alternative Menu Navigation Keyboard Binding
                        Proposal for Us Poor-Folk Stuck on Treo Keyboards" if people are interested.
                        I'll circulate it, get beaten up - um I mean take input - and see if I can
                        work something out. I'm really most interested in helping with this project
                        in minor ways (not sure I can give the time to be another John but perhaps
                        "Little John" :-)

                        The most exciting part about this proposed change is to think of the doc
                        changes. I can imagine them now, "Press the 'A' key unless
                        (hyperlinked)Such-and-Such setting is set in which case it is the "a" key."
                        I so look forward to that part :-)

                        While I'm on a rant, I'm going to throw in one more request.

                        4) Ability to parse dates & times. What I want is something like:
                        /&parseDate[InputString, OutputMonthNumber, OutputMonthName,
                        OutputDayOfWeekNumber,
                        OutputDayOfWeekName, OutputDate, OutputYear, OutputHour, OutputMin,
                        OutputSeconds,
                        OutputWeekOfYear, OutputDayOfYear]
                        If the input string is not specified then the current time is used. If any
                        output variable is omitted (eg: two consecutive commas) then that output
                        variable is just not returned. If the information is not available (eg: a
                        date without a time), then -1 will be returned for those values or a null
                        string (eg: a time without a date would return a null string for the month
                        name).
                        /&varSet[$A, @@Jan 9, 2006 10:46PM@@]
                        /&parseDate[$A, $1, $B, $2, $C, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9]
                        $1 will equal "1" for January
                        $B will equal "January"
                        $2 will equal "2" (the 9'th was a Monday)
                        $C will equal "Monday"
                        $3 will equal "9" for the 9th
                        $4 will equal "2006"
                        $5 will equal "22" (24 hr clock seems simpler)
                        $6 will equal "46"
                        $7 will equal "-1"
                        $8 will equal "2" (second week of year)
                        $9 will equal "9" (9th day of year)

                        I'd be happier to go for some simplifications to this or to have mulitple
                        functions that did the parsing. While at least some of this could be written
                        in pScript it would take a lot of code and is probably a trivial function to
                        implement as (my understanding at least) is that the diffiiculty with the p*
                        programs is the integration with the OS and not the internal functions suhc
                        as this.

                        In case you're wondering what I'd do this for, I want to set calendar items
                        (I use BeyondContacts calendar, not the default one) with p* programs. What
                        I'd do is have a macro that would go into pMagiPad and inserted the current
                        date and time. Probably one that inserts tomorrow at this time, etc... I'd
                        then edit that entry then run the second macro which would grab the date &
                        time, parse it, walk through the input screens of BeyondContacts and update
                        the date and time. Currently I have pretty much everything under control but
                        the date and time part. Really need that date parsing (actually I'd really
                        like an input box to prompt but I know that is not really possible from a
                        pScript).