off topic - please advise me

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
      Hi Guys:

      Getting rid of ancient computers and monitors is easy, just donate them to
      your library or your science museum or VoA, or Salvation Army, etc.

      What about hard disks? I have, e.g., about a dozen ancient SCSI drives, and
      dozens of Iomega JAZ disks, etc.

      Even just hammering them to death is extremely difficult and time consuming.
      It took me about an hour to kill a 300Mb [sic - Mb] external drive which I
      bought for about 3K about 15 years ago.

      I could also secure-erase them [I still have a few SCSI computers in my
      closet], but then what? Is it possible to sell them? I am not the e-Bay type
      guy. I am willing to sell all of them to 1 person who comes to my house and
      takes them but I won't put up with advertising and negotiating.

      So, the question of the day is, what to do.

      Just to add to the fire, I also have about 3 dozen SCSI cables and at least a
      hundred of computer power cords plus dozens of ancient Apple networking
      cables and boxes [adb or whatever they are called]. Oh yes, modems, zip
      drives, etc.

      All=my=best, Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
        On 9/11/06, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

        > I could also secure-erase them [I still have a few SCSI computers in my
        > closet], but then what? Is it possible to sell them? I am not the e-Bay type
        > guy. I am willing to sell all of them to 1 person who comes to my house and
        > takes them but I won't put up with advertising and negotiating.

        You may not be an eBay person, but eBay is the best way to reach
        someone who might wish to take the stuff off your hands.

        > So, the question of the day is, what to do.

        Three choices: eBay, eBay, or eBay.

        Make a list of what you have to offer. Put it up for bid, with a
        minimum bid of what you would like to get. Specify no shipping if
        they can pick up, and if they can't they specify the shipment method
        desired and pay the costs.

        No negotiation or advertising involved.

        > All=my=best, Paul
      • John Kershaw
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
          On 11/09/06, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:
          > So, the question of the day is, what to do.

          Regards deleting the data, find someone with a bulk eraser. We used to
          have one at the bank where I worked. Just a box with a big
          electro-magnet inside. We used to put backup tapes on it for 30
          seconds and they were as clean as new.

          Regards off-loading the hardware, find out if there's a Freecycle near
          you. One man's junk is another man's treasure :)
          http://www.freecycle.org

          John.

          --
          W: 01274 900801 H: 01274 581519 M: 07944 755613 www.kershaw.org/john
          skype:johnmkershaw AIM:johnkershaw MSN:john_m_kershaw@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2006
            Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> writes:

            > Even just hammering them to death is extremely difficult and time consuming.
            > It took me about an hour to kill a 300Mb [sic - Mb] external drive which I
            > bought for about 3K about 15 years ago.

            I have seen drives in a excess property warehouse that has been
            punched with a drill, one hole, down through the platters. I don't
            know if it was a drill press or if a hand-held drill would do it.

            My computer architecture professor had a couple of hard drives which
            he had dismantled for demonstration purposes. You should consider the
            educational value of even dead hardware ;-)

            Ian
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 22, 2006
              # My computer architecture professor had a couple of hard drives which
              # he had dismantled for demonstration purposes. You should consider the
              # educational value of even dead hardware ;-)

              I donated several computers/printers/copiers/fax machines to our Center of
              Science and Industry for precisely that purpose. They didn't take monitors
              since those are dangerous for kids.

              With hard drives it's different: you need to kill them because of the data
              contained in them.

              /Paul
            • Ian Soboroff
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
                Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> writes:

                > # My computer architecture professor had a couple of hard drives which
                > # he had dismantled for demonstration purposes. You should consider the
                > # educational value of even dead hardware ;-)
                >
                > I donated several computers/printers/copiers/fax machines to our Center of
                > Science and Industry for precisely that purpose. They didn't take monitors
                > since those are dangerous for kids.
                >
                > With hard drives it's different: you need to kill them because of the data
                > contained in them.

                Once you open a hard drive, let the magic smoke (er, vacuum) out, get
                dust on the platters and futz with the heads, it's going to take a
                rather sophisticated data forensics outfit to recover any data from
                that drive.

                Ian
              • Josh Morris
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 26, 2006
                  Ian Soboroff wrote:
                  > Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> writes:
                  >
                  >> # My computer architecture professor had a couple of hard drives which
                  >> # he had dismantled for demonstration purposes. You should consider the
                  >> # educational value of even dead hardware ;-)
                  >>
                  >> I donated several computers/printers/copiers/fax machines to our Center of
                  >> Science and Industry for precisely that purpose. They didn't take monitors
                  >> since those are dangerous for kids.
                  >>
                  >> With hard drives it's different: you need to kill them because of the data
                  >> contained in them.
                  >
                  > Once you open a hard drive, let the magic smoke (er, vacuum) out, get
                  > dust on the platters and futz with the heads, it's going to take a
                  > rather sophisticated data forensics outfit to recover any data from
                  > that drive.

                  Well, for "modern" hard drives on the PC (Windows) (I have no Mac
                  experience), I just re-partition, re-format, and then secure erase using
                  Eraser (http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/). The 35 pass option takes
                  forever. (I usually stick with the 3 pass for most things, 7 pass if erasing
                  a hard drive with sensitive info just to make my clients feel all warm and
                  fuzzy about their data.) I think it even has the ability to create a
                  bootable floppy to secure erase a system (or I may be thinking of something
                  else). I've also used PGP in the past.

                  -Josh
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
                    # Well, for "modern" hard drives on the PC (Windows) (I have no Mac
                    # experience), I just re-partition, re-format, and then secure erase using
                    # Eraser (http://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/). The 35 pass option takes
                    # forever. (I usually stick with the 3 pass for most things, 7 pass if erasing
                    # a hard drive with sensitive info just to make my clients feel all warm and
                    # fuzzy about their data.) I think it even has the ability to create a
                    # bootable floppy to secure erase a system (or I may be thinking of something
                    # else). I've also used PGP in the past.

                    This assumes that you still have the hardware to use your HD. With an old HD
                    it might not be possible. I have 30 JAZ HD disks but no JAZ drive. It's was
                    a drive by LaCie, 1GB removable disks. /Paul
                  • Josh Morris
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 27, 2006
                      > This assumes that you still have the hardware to use your HD. With
                      an old HD
                      > it might not be possible. I have 30 JAZ HD disks but no JAZ drive.
                      It's was
                      > a drive by LaCie, 1GB removable disks. /Paul

                      That's what I was assuming alright.

                      I'd say you should research what corrosive substances affect the metal
                      platters and get some of the chemistry professors over there to carry
                      out experiments on how to chemically destroy a hard drive. :)

                      -Josh