pi and pedit and 9/11

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2006
      Hi Guys:

      # Uh, but (but, but), doesn't pEdit *mean* pi e dit?

      No. Actually, it's spelled "pedit" and not "pEdit", although pToolSet has
      "pEditTool".

      In addition, it is not "pi edit" but either "pee-edit" or simply "pedit".

      Third, proving that pi is transcendental is serious business. The
      irrationality of pi is easier and I occasionally show it to my first year
      math graduate students. Interestingly, the irrationality of e [Euler] is much
      easier although transcendentality is also difficult.

      Let's put it this way, if neither pi and e were not known to be
      transcendental, there would be very few people alive who could prove it [not
      me].

      On the other hand, quite a few could prove that e is irrational even if it
      weren't known. I wonder how many could prove that pi is irrational [if it
      weren't known].

      Let me add that the 9/11 documentary shown on CBS last night was
      extraordinary, see, e.g.,

      http://www.ambafrance-us.org/culture/tv/programs/naudet911.html

      and

      http://www.media-criticism.com/Naudet_Brothers_09_2004.html

      It is probably the most artistic, heartbreaking, and humanizing documentary
      of its kind in the history of mankind. It should have received an Academy
      Award, but it wasn't even nominated. You must, I mean MUST, see it.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2006
        On 9/11/06, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

        > Let me add that the 9/11 documentary shown on CBS last night was
        > extraordinary, see, e.g.,
        >
        > http://www.ambafrance-us.org/culture/tv/programs/naudet911.html
        >
        > and
        >
        > http://www.media-criticism.com/Naudet_Brothers_09_2004.html
        >
        > It is probably the most artistic, heartbreaking, and humanizing documentary
        > of its kind in the history of mankind. It should have received an Academy
        > Award, but it wasn't even nominated. You must, I mean MUST, see it.

        With all due respect to CBS and the makers of the documentary, I
        *live* in NYC. Once was enough...

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2006
          Hi, Paul-

          > Third, proving that pi is transcendental is serious business. The
          > irrationality of pi is easier and I occasionally show it to my first year
          > math graduate students. Interestingly, the irrationality of e [Euler] is much
          > easier although transcendentality is also difficult.

          Somehow I thought you would respond to that :).

          > Let me add that the 9/11 documentary shown on CBS last night was
          > extraordinary, see, e.g.,
          >
          > http://www.ambafrance-us.org/culture/tv/programs/naudet911.html
          >
          > and
          >
          > http://www.media-criticism.com/Naudet_Brothers_09_2004.html
          >
          > It is probably the most artistic, heartbreaking, and humanizing documentary
          > of its kind in the history of mankind. It should have received an Academy
          > Award, but it wasn't even nominated. You must, I mean MUST, see it.

          Missed it. Will seek it out. Thanks-

          cheers, John.