new Palm - kind of...

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Guys:

      Not a Palm but maybe much-much better [if you have money to burn]...

      See

      http://www.mobiletechreview.com/sony_ux180/Sony-Vaio-UX180P.htm

      and then find a great deal on it at Staples.

      I personally would love to buy it except that I know that there will be an
      improved version every 3 months. So I won't.

      /Paul
    • Lemire, David
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
        Paul Nevai wrote:
        > Not a Palm but maybe much-much better [if you have money to burn]...
        > See
        > http://www.mobiletechreview.com/sony_ux180/Sony-Vaio-UX180P.htm
        > and then find a great deal on it at Staples.

        Interesting. But while remarkably compact, it's way too big to take the
        place of my PDA. And I've developed this hang-up about Sony gear after
        the last few years, which would also tend to turn me away.

        DaveL
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
          On 8/1/06, Lemire, David <d.lemire@...> wrote:
          > Paul Nevai wrote:
          > > Not a Palm but maybe much-much better [if you have money to burn]...
          > > See
          > > http://www.mobiletechreview.com/sony_ux180/Sony-Vaio-UX180P.htm
          > > and then find a great deal on it at Staples.
          >
          > Interesting. But while remarkably compact, it's way too big to take the
          > place of my PDA. And I've developed this hang-up about Sony gear after
          > the last few years, which would also tend to turn me away.

          This looks like a variant of the UMPCs that are currently getting some
          buzz. I'm amused by the UMPCs -- what, exactly, am I supposed to do
          with one, since I already have a desktop, laptop, and PDA?

          What I *would* consider doing with them was replacing my laptop with a
          smaller, lighter device. As long as I could attach a full size
          monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I'd be fine. But the UMPCs were
          carefully marketed to avoid mentioning the possibility, and engineered
          so that they didn't have the horsepower. And I noted that they
          *weren't* being offered by Dell, Toshiba, or the like. :-)

          The Sony looks like it *could* replace a laptop, but the price is
          higher than I like, and it appears to have the typical Sony
          proprietary stuff. (Memory Stick? <barf>) I'll pass unless a
          *really* good deal appears.

          > DaveL
        • Jon Hind
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
            Nah,

            It's Sony so it'll be

            1. Over-priced
            2. Incompatible with something else in a horribly annoying way
            3. Only work with their clunky software
            4. Have lousy after sales service
            5. Appeal to girls
            6. Peripherals will be Sony specific and be jolly expensive.

            item 5 is not sexist - - these are my two girls who love everything Sony.
            To my cost. They never learn :)

            Oh - and I definitely want one :)

            Jon.

            --
            Jon

            Email and MSN: jon@...
            Yahoo and Google Chat: wjonhind
            Skype: jonhind

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
              # 1. Over-priced

              Maybe/probably.

              # 2. Incompatible with something else in a horribly annoying way

              XP Pro, isn't it?

              # 3. Only work with their clunky software

              See above.

              # 4. Have lousy after sales service

              Maybe.

              # 5. Appeal to girls

              See below.

              # 6. Peripherals will be Sony specific and be jolly expensive.

              Maybe.

              # item 5 is not sexist - - these are my two girls who love everything Sony.

              I insist for a written testimonial from your wife that she knows that you
              have 2 girls, in addition to her, and that she doesn't mind.

              /Paul
            • Steve Kunkel
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006

                > 5. Appeal to girls

                Too cost-prohibitive... even for a chick-magnet <kidding>

                -steve

              • marksrebnik
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2006
                  Well, John,

                  I took the plunge and ordered one of the UX90's (Made to order Japanese model...but
                  getting it with English keyboard...) from Conics.net in Japan.... should be here Friday
                  hopefully....

                  ;-)

                  As for some of the other comments posted....to each his own....but....

                  This is NOT a UMPC, but a micro-PC along the lines of an OQO, but better from all the
                  reviews I've read....don't have anything against UMPC's, just that they are different animal
                  if you check their specs...

                  As noted, this runs MS WinXP so no problem running Windows apps...

                  Also, unlike the US market model, the Japanese model has a standard CF Card slot along
                  with the MemoryStick slot so you can use whichever you want (or both...).

                  Have had several other Sony Vaio products over the years from Picturebooks to U101 and
                  they all worked great and had no problems...

                  They aren't cheap though...but no one makes you get one... I just sold several other
                  devices to raise funds for this new little device...

                  Still will keep my LifeDrive at least for awhile...but starting to think more and more that
                  there's less and less reason to have one (or a PocketPC, etc..) when you can have access to
                  standard PC apps wherever you go and get away from all this syncing and file moving
                  business from PC to PDA and vice-versa....

                  You guys should read some real reviews of the UX series before making up your minds
                  about it...here's a few....

                  http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/07/25/sony1/index.html

                  http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3073&review=Sony+VAIO+UX180
                  +Mini+PC

                  Just my 2ยข......

                  ;-)

                  Mark
                  Silicone Valley Digerati
                  Palm LD
                  Sharp Zaurus SL-C3100
                  Sony Vaio VGN-UX90 (soon...)
                  Averatec AV1050-EB1 (anyone interested?..)

                  [SNIP]

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2006
                    marksrebnik wrote...
                    # I took the plunge and ordered one of the UX90's (Made to order Japanese
                    # model...but getting it with English keyboard...) from Conics.net in
                    # Japan.... should be here Friday hopefully....

                    Please report to us back about your experiences.

                    I used to love Sony stuff [walkmans (?walkmen) and such], then I hated them,
                    then I loved them again, then...

                    I bought a few months ago a 36" CRT based SONY HDTV and it is great. It took
                    5 people to bring it into the house though.

                    /Paul