Re: [peditors] which DOC reader do you use?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006
      Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:

      > I think my initial enthusiasm ("Go for it, Steve") may have been a
      > bit misplaced. At least, it's not gonna be easy, if possible at all.

      Yup. It's possible.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 3, 2006
        On 7/3/06, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:
        > Quoting dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>:
        >
        > > One thing I played with was setting Plucker documents as Launchable.
        > > When you do that, an icon for the file appears in the launcher. If
        > > the viewing program supports the required OS feature, you can tap on
        > > the icon and spawn the appropriate program to display/edit the file.
        >
        > I think my initial enthusiasm ("Go for it, Steve") may have been a
        > bit misplaced. At least, it's not gonna be easy, if possible at all.
        > With my TX, making a Plucker document launchable via details in FileZ
        > does indeed generate the appropriate icon in the launcher. However,
        > tapping the icon simply opens the Plucker library list, does not open
        > the document, and does not even highlight it in the list. Using the
        > made-launchable document name, in this case Plkr3-pEdit Manual, in an
        > "/&launch" pScript results in "can't launch it-no such app".
        > Unfortunately, the pScripting "Ox__" tokens also don't operate
        > predictably for me on the Plucker library list, so cannot navigate the
        > list to get to the manual and open it that way either.
        > grmpf. ~ John

        I haven't tried to pScript it, but I could reliably open Plucker docs
        that way by tapping the icon in the launcher, and it would work
        regardless of whether the document was in RAM or on the card (as lonr
        as /Palm/Programs/Plucker was in the LX directories list).

        Which version of Plucker do you have installed? On my device, marking
        a Plucker document as Launchable doesn't behave as you describe. The
        PlkrX-<title> files are metadata files Plucker creates when you open a
        document to indicate where you are in it when you open it next time.
        (And they are Plkr1 files here, not Plkr3.)

        I run Plucker 1.8, but see the same behavior with current snapshot
        code from CVS.
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006
          Quoting dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...>:

          > I haven't tried to pScript it, but I could reliably open Plucker docs
          > that way by tapping the icon in the launcher, and it would work
          > regardless of whether the document was in RAM or on the card (as lonr
          > as /Palm/Programs/Plucker was in the LX directories list).
          >
          > Which version of Plucker do you have installed? On my device, marking
          > a Plucker document as Launchable doesn't behave as you describe. The
          > PlkrX-<title> files are metadata files Plucker creates when you open a
          > document to indicate where you are in it when you open it next time.
          > (And they are Plkr1 files here, not Plkr3.)
          >
          > I run Plucker 1.8, but see the same behavior with current snapshot
          > code from CVS.
          > ______
          > Dennis

          Ah, yes, thanks Dennis. User error. I also run v1.8. But I made the
          meta-data files (in RAM) launchable, not the .pdb files in SD.
          However, my metafiles on TX are Plkr3, not Plkr1. When I make the
          document launchable it behaves as you say. *However*, unfortunately,
          even then it won't open via pScript "/&launch" even when I move it to
          RAM. Its existence is recognized (no "no such app" message), but
          instead a dialog "Launch Error. The application cannot be launched
          because of a system error." The dialog can be dismissed with an OK
          button, no crash, just no launch. Furthermore, it does not appear in
          the pToolSet pLauncher app list. In the meantime I have sucessfully
          pScripted the entire sequence Steve described, it works fine, but it's
          a little kludgy.

          ~ John
        • Adam Coleman
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 4, 2006
            I am using the latest version of Mobipocket as my document reader. Both
            the Palm and desktop software work pretty nicely. However, my primary
            use for doc files these days is as a format for passing files between
            pedit and DocstoGo. I can go from a pedit memo to a doc file to a text
            or MSWord file stored on my memory card on my palm. I can then use a
            card reader on my PC to open the file and edit it on my desktop without
            doing a hotsynch. (I am not allowed to synch my handheld to my PC at
            work, so this is my work-around.) Of course I can go back the other
            direction as well.

            Adam

            --- Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

            > Hi Guys:
            >
            > Which DOC reader do you use? I have an ancient list here.
            >
            > TealDoc QvadisGT PalmReader CSpotRun iSilo "i S i l o" "iSilo Free"
            > AportisDoc MobiPocket DeepReader DocsToGo Qed Quickword WordSmith
            > iambicReader
            >
            > I use TealDoc.
            >
            > Best regards, Paul

            > --------------------~-->
            > Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email
            > design.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/u2FxlB/TM

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Steve Kunkel
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 5, 2006
              On 7/3/06, Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu> wrote:

              > # "DOC reader" per se. A pToolFunction that I would use a lot is a
              > command
              > # such that I could be in pedit or scriptPad and highlight something like
              > # "Such'nsuch pFunction," then do a
              > #
              > Qopy-to-clipboard-and-go-to-my-Plucker-pedit-manual-then-open-the-find-feature-and-find-what's-in-the-clipboard,
              > # or something like that.
              >
              > Let's not get carried away. You confuse me with with the ominpotent UN.
              > /Paul

              Your humility only points to your greatness O-Mighty one !!!
              ;-)
              Who's UN?

              --
              SteveK
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 6, 2006
                # Who's UN?

                http://www.un.org/

                The solution to all problems ever known to mankind. /Paul
              • Josh Morris
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Paul Nevai wrote:
                  > # Who's UN?
                  >
                  > http://www.un.org/
                  >
                  > The solution to all problems ever known to mankind. /Paul

                  I detect a little sarcasm... :)

                  -Josh