Re: [peditors] WikiSite: admin junk.

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2006
      On 7/1/06, Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...> wrote:

      > Q for Paul and group: is there a big difference between the types of
      > tips'n'tricks for peditPro vs. just pedit?? Looking at the manual, they do
      > seem pretty similar. If there are only minor diffs, we would just have a
      > "peditPro-specific" sub section of the pedit branch...

      pEdit Pro provides a product that can handle old 4K or newer 32K memos
      transparently. The main difference I'm aware of is the size of memo
      they can deal with. I believe the feature set is otherwise the same.

      > THought: THere is already a ton of LTH stuff... I"d like to add a pToolSet
      > area. Perhaps something like:
      > - pToolSet Tips'n'Tricks
      > *clever uses of pTS
      > - pToolSet Challenges
      > *"I'd like to do THIS, does anyone know how?"
      > - pToolSet (non pedit) pScripts
      > *OS-specific
      > *For use with other third-party apps
      > *My favorite pScript
      > *World Record Holders (longest script, most useless, most functions
      > used in one script, etc., etc.)
      > *Challenges for you! (can you make a pScript that does THIS?)

      Is there a master list of what features work across all products, and
      which are version specific (and features that are implemented in all
      products, but work differently for OS derived reasons in LTH than in
      pEdit?)

      You could have a general category for pScripting, and only need to be
      aware of version/OS/device specific differences, which could be noted
      on a case by case basis.

      > Q for Paul and all: would things like "I'd like to do THIS, does anyone know
      > how?" and "Challenges for you! (can you make a pScript that does THIS?)!" be
      > better left on the forum so as to reserve the Wiki for tips'n'scripts that
      > are already complete, as opposed to enquiries?
      >
      > THoughts? Thanks!

      I think that depends upon what the overlap is between the users of the
      group and visitors to the website.

      To begin with, you might use the group as the incubation area. Needs
      are expressed, ideas are proposed, and working scripts are thrashed
      out here. Finished products are posted as solutions on the site. The
      site should have pointers back to the group.

      Mailing lists and wikis have different structures and facilitate
      different kinds of communication. I think the "expressed need,
      proposed ideas, and exact implementation" stuff is better handled in a
      list.

      The wiki works better as showcase and reference.

      > SteveK
    • John Kershaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
        On 01/07/06, dmccunney <dennis.mccunney@...> wrote:
        > To begin with, you might use the group as the incubation area. Needs
        > are expressed, ideas are proposed, and working scripts are thrashed
        > out here. Finished products are posted as solutions on the site. The
        > site should have pointers back to the group.
        >
        > Mailing lists and wikis have different structures and facilitate
        > different kinds of communication. I think the "expressed need,
        > proposed ideas, and exact implementation" stuff is better handled in a
        > list.
        >
        > The wiki works better as showcase and reference.

        Agreed - wikis have a tendency to be messy/versioned anyway if not
        kept in check, so doing the majority of the honing here and putting
        the 'finished product' in the wiki makes sense (and ties up nicely
        with the original purpose, IIRC).

        And yes, I'm still alive, and monitoring the forum, though not posting
        overfrequently :)

        John.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
          # > tips'n'tricks for peditPro vs. just pedit?? Looking at the manual, they do
          # > seem pretty similar. If there are only minor diffs, we would just have a
          # > "peditPro-specific" sub section of the pedit branch...

          They really are the same with a very few exceptions.

          # Is there a master list of what features work across all products, and
          # which are version specific (and features that are implemented in all
          # products, but work differently for OS derived reasons in LTH than in
          # pEdit?)

          The manual. If I wanted to make a list like this, then I would have no time
          for adding new features.

          # > Q for Paul and all: would things like "I'd like to do THIS, does anyone
          # > know how?" and "Challenges for you! (can you make a pScript that does
          # > THIS?)!" be better left on the forum so as to reserve the Wiki for
          # > tips'n'scripts that are already complete, as opposed to enquiries?

          For me the Forum is better since I read it almost every [waking] hour. I
          have a good system for that [done via procmail].

          All=my=best, Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
            Quoting Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...>:

            > Q for Paul and all: would things like "I'd like to do THIS, does anyone know
            > how?" and "Challenges for you! (can you make a pScript that does THIS?)!" be
            > better left on the forum so as to reserve the Wiki for tips'n'scripts that
            > are already complete, as opposed to enquiries?

            I agree with JohnK, Dennis, and Paul, namely just as you describe above.

            Using the question about a master list of features as an example,
            consider the following scenario.
            Confused from Kamchatka writes to the forum, "Is there a list somewhere
            that tells whether my HyperWidgetXKE will run pScripts the same as my
            Palm V used to?"
            SteveK responds, "see the pScriptWiKi at http://etcetc".
            Confused goes there and finds,

            FAQ--
            # Is there a master list of what features work across all products, and
            # which are version specific (and features that are implemented in all
            # products, but work differently for OS derived reasons in LTH than in
            # pEdit?
            This information is in the manual, both within the sections specific to
            the various features, and also noted in the "pedit's development
            history/recent changes" section at the end of the manual. Paul Nevai
            has noted that if he were to separately maintain a list like this, "
            then I would have no time
            for adding new features."
          • Steve Kunkel
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2006
              On 7/1/06, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

              > Quoting Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...>:
              >
              > > Q for Paul and all: would things like "I'd like to do THIS, does anyone
              > know
              > > how?" and "Challenges for you! (can you make a pScript that does
              > THIS?)!" be
              > > better left on the forum so as to reserve the Wiki for tips'n'scripts
              > that
              > > are already complete, as opposed to enquiries?
              >
              > I agree with JohnK, Dennis, and Paul, namely just as you describe above.
              >
              > Using the question about a master list of features as an example,
              > consider the following scenario.
              > Confused from Kamchatka writes to the forum, "Is there a list somewhere
              > that tells whether my HyperWidgetXKE will run pScripts the same as my
              > Palm V used to?"
              > SteveK responds, "see the pScriptWiKi at http://etcetc".
              > Confused goes there and finds,

              These all make sense to me ... thanks for the suggestions everyone!

              FAQ--
              > # Is there a master list of what features work across all products, and
              > # which are version specific (and features that are implemented in all
              > # products, but work differently for OS derived reasons in LTH than in
              > # pEdit?
              > This information is in the manual, both within the sections specific to
              > the various features, and also noted in the "pedit's development
              > history/recent changes" section at the end of the manual. Paul Nevai
              > has noted that if he were to separately maintain a list like this, "
              > then I would have no time
              > for adding new features."

              I vote for Paul to spend his time adding new features! :o)

              --
              SteveK