Re: Some feature request/ideas...

  • Josh Morris
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 5, 2006
      > P.S. Question to Mark: if "etc." ends a sentence, then do we need
      an extra
      > period? I say "yes". If it were a question mark [pun maybe
      intended], then we
      > would not question this so why to omit the period, etc.. [oops]

      You're going to make me break out my high school grammar books or
      call my high school grammar teacher, aren't you? My understanding
      was that you use only one period (and I will look that up if/when I
      find my grammar books). Not two, even if the last word of the
      sentence was an abbreviation that warranted use of a period itself.
      I don't recall seeing the "double period" in any publication I've
      ever read.

      Also, when enclosing the last word of a declarative sentence in
      quotes, the period goes on the inside of the quotes (see above:
      not "yes". but rather "yes." ) That one I know. Works the same
      for commas. For questions marks, it depends on the usage of the
      questions mark. If it's part of the quoted statement, then it's
      included. (eg. He sang "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?") If it's
      indicative of the entire sentence, then it goes outside the quotes.
      (eg. Do you know "that guy"?)

      This is like a bad high school flashback.

      Josh
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 6, 2006
        # Also, when enclosing the last word of a declarative sentence in quotes, the
        # period goes on the inside of the quotes (see above: not "yes". but rather
        # "yes." ) That one I know. Works the same for commas. For questions marks,
        # it depends on the usage of the questions mark. If it's part of the quoted
        # statement, then it's included. (eg. He sang "Do You Know the Way to San
        # Jose?") If it's indicative of the entire sentence, then it goes outside the
        # quotes. (eg. Do you know "that guy"?)

        I am the Editor-in-Chief of an international math journal. I insist on "yes".
        My publisher insists on "yes." So does the Chicago style book or whatever,
        see http://www.libs.uga.edu/ref/chicago.html. Nevertheless, I keep insisting
        and usually I win. I am backed up my a lots of influential people, most of
        who learned English as a 2nd or more language.

        Please keep in mind that just because some authorities claim "a", it doesn't
        mean that "a" is correct. It could be that "b" is the right way or even that
        both "a" and "b" are OK. Right? I mean, rite? [smiley]

        All=my=best, Paul
      • Josh Morris
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 6, 2006
          Paul Nevai wrote:
          > # Also, when enclosing the last word of a declarative sentence in quotes, the
          > # period goes on the inside of the quotes (see above: not "yes". but rather
          > # "yes." ) That one I know. Works the same for commas. For questions marks,
          > # it depends on the usage of the questions mark. If it's part of the quoted
          > # statement, then it's included. (eg. He sang "Do You Know the Way to San
          > # Jose?") If it's indicative of the entire sentence, then it goes outside the
          > # quotes. (eg. Do you know "that guy"?)
          >
          > I am the Editor-in-Chief of an international math journal. I insist on "yes".
          > My publisher insists on "yes." So does the Chicago style book or whatever,
          > see http://www.libs.uga.edu/ref/chicago.html. Nevertheless, I keep insisting
          > and usually I win. I am backed up my a lots of influential people, most of
          > who learned English as a 2nd or more language.
          >
          > Please keep in mind that just because some authorities claim "a", it doesn't
          > mean that "a" is correct. It could be that "b" is the right way or even that
          > both "a" and "b" are OK. Right? I mean, rite? [smiley]
          >
          > All=my=best, Paul

          I had a very influential grammar teacher in high school, so a lot of
          this stuff was pounded into my head, and like you, I am rather stubborn
          about that kind of stuff. So, the fact that your publisher and the
          Chicago whatever backs up "my" way of certain grammatical practices just
          further reinforces my grammar belief structure. :) (Luckily, I can
          refrain from performing grammatical corrections in online forums.
          Otherwise, I'd probably be kicked out of most of them. I can drive my
          family nuts with this stuff. (Although, they've learned over the years
          and actually can correct me if I mispeak, so I consider that a small
          victory in my campaign for grammatical correctness.))

          Cheers!
          Josh
        • Steve Kunkel
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 7, 2006
            On 6/4/06, John Markley <jmmjr@...> wrote:

            > Quoting Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...>:
            >
            > <<SNIP>>
            >

            > > You're now faced with how many contingencies to have and whether the
            > > contingencies sould have specific rules. For example, in the list
            > > above,
            > > hard button #2 (e.g. at hold too) is set for pScriptButtons. If
            > > pScriptButtons is already running, it goes to RotatorTool. But: Does
            > > that
            > > mean that ANY time Hold too on button #2 is "not allowed from here"
            > > it
            > > reverts to RotatorTool, or does in ONLY do it when I'm in
            > > pScriptButtons? I
            > > suggest only if you are currently running the app in the middle
            > > column will
            > > it go to the item in the right column (i.e. the contingent action).
            >
            > I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly, but it looks like you're
            > suggesting a variable action depending on circumstances. Seems to me
            > that could be trouble...maybe not. However, isn't it ok to have it as
            > now ( and less of a code load on our benefactor), with only one action
            > mapped to a particular hold length with one button no matter what? I
            > don't think I'd like to have hold#3 give me the action for hold#4 if I
            > had bad form and asked #3 to do a "not allowed from here" job. ??
            >
            > ~ John

            You do have a good point here. My original thought on the "contingent"
            thing came because I currenlty have button #3 set for DateBk6. Hold-too is
            set for pScriptButtons (which are mostly DbK template pScripts :). I used
            to have pScriptTool set for the Hold'n'hold, which I liked. WHen Paul fixed
            it so pRotatorTool can be used in the pButtons, though, I changed my set up
            press = DateBk6
            Hold-too = pScriptButtons
            Hold'n'hold = pRotatorTool ....

            BUT THEN* *I thought about how I only need the pRotator when I'm
            already *IN* pScriptButtons. THerefore, assign it to the same button. i.e.
            If I'm in pScButtons, the "not allowed from here" would instead go to the
            contingent assignment--pRotator.

            As you have said though, this could be quite confusing in the code and in
            the GUI. ALSO, if we are going to have 256 possible assignments to each
            button anyhow... it would (maybe) be nonsensical to ALSO have multiple
            assignments to each level of hold'n'hold..

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2006
              Quoting Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...>:

              <SNIP>

              WHen Paul fixed
              > it so pRotatorTool can be used in the pButtons, though, I changed my set up
              > press = DateBk6
              > Hold-too = pScriptButtons
              > Hold'n'hold = pRotatorTool ....
              >
              > BUT THEN* *I thought about how I only need the pRotator when I'm
              > already *IN* pScriptButtons. THerefore, assign it to the same button. i.e.
              > If I'm in pScButtons, the "not allowed from here" would instead go to the
              > contingent assignment--pRotator.
              <SNIP>

              You can have Hold'n'Hold on the DateBk6 button back for pScriptTool,
              or other. Paul has made it so pressing the center button on the 5-way
              while in pScriptButtons puts you in pRotator mode.
              ~ John
            • Steve Kunkel
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 8, 2006
                WHen Paul fixed
                > it so pRotatorTool can be used in the pButtons, though, I changed my set
                up
                > press = DateBk6
                > Hold-too = pScriptButtons
                > Hold'n'hold = pRotatorTool ....
                >
                > BUT THEN* *I thought about how I only need the pRotator when I'm
                > already *IN* pScriptButtons. THerefore, assign it to the same button. i.e.
                > If I'm in pScButtons, the "not allowed from here" would instead go to the
                > contingent assignment--pRotator.
                <SNIP>

                You can have Hold'n'Hold on the DateBk6 button back for pScriptTool,
                or other. Paul has made it so pressing the center button on the 5-way
                while in pScriptButtons puts you in pRotator mode.
                ~ John

                Coolness!! I didn't even know that... Thanks!