carriage return-line feed question

  • Adam Coleman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2006
      I am currently evaluating OfficeSuite (www.mobi-systems.com). Text
      entry in the word processor app is painfully slow on my Palm T/E, so
      there is no way it would replace pedit as a writing tool, but it has a
      feature I really like. It can read and store files in MSWord, rich
      text, plain text, and palm doc formats. Since I can't synch my pda at
      work, this lets me copy a file to my card on my palm in a pc readable
      format and use my cardreader to access it on my pc. It is a bit
      tedious, but I can go from pedit to palm doc to text file on my SD card
      on the palm, move the card, and read and edit the text file on the PC.
      While MSWord and rich text have their place, I would typically prefer
      to bring memos from pedit across as plain text files.

      My question is how does the palm handle carriage returns and line
      feeds? I typically type a memo with two carriage returns at the end of
      a paragraph so that there is a blank line between paragraphs (as in
      this e-mail). When I go through the steps above, and open the text file
      on the PC, each return is treated as two line feeds instead of one. I
      end up with four lines between paragraphs like this:

      If I delete the extra lines and go back the other direction, the two
      returns are treated as one and on the palm there is no space between
      paragraphs. I know that windows by default uses a line feed and a
      carriage return character when you hit enter. As I understand it, Unix
      type sysems use just a line feed character, and Macs use just a
      carriage return character. The text editor I use on the PC (EditPadPro)
      can convert between these formats, if that would help, but I haven't
      found a combination that looks the way I want on both the PC and the
      palm. Has anyone else done anything like this?

      Thanks,
      Adam

      Adam Coleman
      acoleman@...
      Dayton, OH

      "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings. "
      -- Prov 25:2
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2006
        On 5/3/06, Adam Coleman <acoleman@...> wrote:

        > I am currently evaluating OfficeSuite (www.mobi-systems.com). Text
        > entry in the word processor app is painfully slow on my Palm T/E, so
        > there is no way it would replace pedit as a writing tool, but it has a
        > feature I really like. It can read and store files in MSWord, rich
        > text, plain text, and palm doc formats. Since I can't synch my pda at
        > work, this lets me copy a file to my card on my palm in a pc readable
        > format and use my cardreader to access it on my pc. It is a bit
        > tedious, but I can go from pedit to palm doc to text file on my SD card
        > on the palm, move the card, and read and edit the text file on the PC.
        > While MSWord and rich text have their place, I would typically prefer
        > to bring memos from pedit across as plain text files.

        I have Documents to Go, which is OfficeSuite's equivalent. I use it
        mainly to view Excel spreadsheets.

        For actual writing, I prefer Blue Nomad's WordSmith.
        (http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wordsmith_details.html) WordSmith
        has lagged behind the competition in some respects, Unlike Docs to Go
        or OfficeSuite, it doesn't support "native" Word files. It expects
        Rich Text Format files, converted on the desktop to the format WS
        uses, and hotsynced. It also doesn't support tables or bulleted
        lists. For the writing I do, that's not an issue.

        To make life easier, I use a work around. WordSmith can edit
        documents on a card, and looks for them in /Palm/Programs/Wordsmith.
        They also offer an unsupported DOS command line converter that can
        convert RTF files <==> WS files. I keep a copy of that on the card in
        the WordSmith directory, and save files I plan to work on in WS to the
        card as RTF files with a USB card reader. I then run the converter
        from the card to convert the files to WS format. Pop the card from
        the reader, pop it into the PDA, and off I go.

        Wordsmith handles converted RTF files, Palm doc files, and memopad
        entries. It can export memos to doc files (but not the other way
        around.)

        I have a portable keyboard, and WS has excellent keyboard support and
        a full range of editing commands.

        > My question is how does the palm handle carriage returns and line
        > feeds? I typically type a memo with two carriage returns at the end of
        > a paragraph so that there is a blank line between paragraphs (as in
        > this e-mail). When I go through the steps above, and open the text file
        > on the PC, each return is treated as two line feeds instead of one. I
        > end up with four lines between paragraphs like this:

        Depends upon what you use. It appears Palm prefers Unix style line
        endings for "doc" files. I use a freeware alternative to the Quick
        Install tool called PInstall. Plain ASCII text files dropped onto
        PInstall are automatically converted to Palm doc files. I discovered
        through experiment that Unix line endings worked best. The embedded
        CRs in Windows style line ending were treated as hard returns, which
        is not what you want.

        > If I delete the extra lines and go back the other direction, the two
        > returns are treated as one and on the palm there is no space between
        > paragraphs. I know that windows by default uses a line feed and a
        > carriage return character when you hit enter. As I understand it, Unix
        > type sysems use just a line feed character, and Macs use just a
        > carriage return character. The text editor I use on the PC (EditPadPro)
        > can convert between these formats, if that would help, but I haven't
        > found a combination that looks the way I want on both the PC and the
        > palm. Has anyone else done anything like this?

        See above for a partial answer. I use a freeware editor under Windows
        called Programmer's File Editor that can handle both DOS and Unix
        style line endings, so I generally use it for this stuff. The problem
        child is Notepad, which is stupid, and doesn't grok Unix line endings.

        On the PDA, there are several freeware text editors that handle ASCII
        text files (in DOS/Windows CRLF format), and can export to or import
        from memo entries and doc files. In particular, look at CardTXT
        (http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/cardtxt.shtml) and tejpWriter
        (http://www.freewarepalm.com/docs/tejpwriter.shtml). Both can
        navigate the nfile system to get to documents. I generally just drop
        files in the preferred place with a card reader these days, and
        reserve hotsync for the PIM apps.