&varPrint capacity, and other &var stuff

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2006
      1) regarding

      >Quoting John Markley <jmmjr@...>:
      >> Quoting Steve Kunkel <kunkel321@...>:
      >> Anyway, thanks for the script... Have been thinking of how to use
      >> it...
      >> Steve
      >
      > Well, actually....<SNIP>
      > The
      > value of the other pScript in my post using $& is that you can
      > transfer
      > whatever string you want, on the fly, by highlighting it. The 999 in
      >
      > 0,999 is just so you can have as many characters in the string as you
      > want, up to 999 (could go way higher I think).

      In playing around with just how many characters you *can* operate on with the
      pVariables, I noted in the manual that the character capacity of the numerical and string
      pVariables is only limited by the OS and estimated up to 64K. However when I tried a
      really big /&varPrint@ job it would only partially print. Paul then kindly responded to my
      query by pointing out that that info is also in the manual (read the famous manual, John--
      my admotition to me, not Paul's) and that although the pVariables are high capacity,
      &varPrint is limited to 55bytes, **unless** you put in the pSwitch "P" which eliminates the
      55byte limit. So if you want to use a script such as the two I posted a couple days ago,

      SubStrTest::/&varSubStr@[$A,$^,0,18]
      /&launch[@@DateBk6@@]
      /&control[@@New@@]
      /$script$[@@sst2@@]}
      {sst2::/&varPrint@[$A]}

      and

      {BSubStrTest::/&varSubStr@ [$A,$&,0,999]
      /&launch[@@DateBk6@@]
      /&control[@@New@@]
      /&script[@@sstB2@@]}
      [sstB2::/&varPrint@[$A]}

      to print more than 55 characters (in which case the "18" in the first string would instead
      be a number greater than 55), you need to insert "P" before the brackets, as in &varPrint@
      P [$i].

      2) I have found that you can bypass the problem of having the time picker popup in
      DateBk6 when you have Appointment set as the default for the New button as follows, by
      adding /&control@ [@@#1#@@] thusly -- ("right now". "run time" won't work) --

      {varPrintDB6::/&varSubStr@[$C,$&,0,1000]
      /&launch[@@DateBk6@@]
      /&control[@@New@@]
      /&script$[@@vP1@@]}
      {vP1::/$control@ [@@#1#@@]
      /&script$[@@vP2@@]}
      {vP2::/&varPrint P [$C]}

      Furthermore, for this particular use, you can use &varSet@ [$C,$&] instead of varSubStr in
      the first line.
      And, this will work without any alteration for New = float , New = journal, and new =
      ToDo. Same script fits all.