pixel value?

  • Nathan Thern
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hello-
      Anybody know of a way of determining the value of a pixel while in a
      pScript?

      thanks
      Nate T
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
        # Anybody know of a way of determining the value of a pixel while in a
        # pScript?

        Do you mean the value of a cursor position in pixel coordinates? No, I
        don't. Sorry, Paul
      • jmmjr@umich.edu
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2005
          Quoting Paul Nevai <nevai@...-state.edu>:

          > # Anybody know of a way of determining the value of a pixel while in
          > # pScript?
          >
          > Do you mean the value of a cursor position in pixel coordinates? No,
          > don't. Sorry, Paul

          *If* what you mean is as Paul says, and *if* the location in the pScript is
          always the same, you *might* be able to do it this way--
          1) Fasten a transparent plastic cover to your screen
          2) Put a tiny ink mark directly over the pixel location of interest
          3) Use pInfoTool/menu/Misc/Screen Coordinates

          Might work, never tried it, just guessng, good luck.

          regards, John
        • Nathan Thern
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2005
            Nope. I meant:
            My script launches a BW app and does some things in it and the only way
            of knowing the result is visual (looking at the screen). I want my
            script to act on the result, thus it needs to know at least some of
            what is displayed on the screen, say the on/off value of pixel(x,y) and
            pixel(x,y+1). How can my script determine those values - is there a
            hack out there somewhere (I have a Vx)?
            Also, could it be a future pScript command?
            Nate

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2005
              # My script launches a BW app and does some things in it and the only way of
              # knowing the result is visual (looking at the screen). I want my script to
              # act on the result, thus it needs to know at least some of what is displayed
              # on the screen, say the on/off value of pixel(x,y) and pixel(x,y+1). How can
              # my script determine those values - is there a hack out there somewhere (I
              # have a Vx)? Also, could it be a future pScript command?

              I see. Can it be done? I have no idea. I'd have to study the OS manuals. You
              could do it and then let me know. The manuals are freely available. OK? Best
              regards, Paul
            • Nathan Thern
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2005
                Well, the only palm program I ever wrote was a form with just "Hello,
                World" on the screen, But...
                I found "WinGetPixel" in the palm API. It works on the current "draw
                window".

                I think I could do this with a formless DA (or does a desk accessory
                have to have a form? If so, then I would make a small one at the bottom
                of the screen.) It would use the first two bytes in the clipboard as x
                and y coordinates and call WinGetPixel(x,y). Then it would then put the
                pixel value in the clipboard and exit. Biggest problem I see is I'm
                worried that launching a DA changes the current draw window.

                Does this sound like a good approach to you? If so, I'll work on
                learning how to program a palm desk accessory and go from there. If
                not, I'll just drop the whole thing.

                Nate

                --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nevai <nevai@m...> wrote:
                > # My script launches a BW app and does some things in it and the only
                way of
                > # knowing the result is visual (looking at the screen). I want my
                script to
                > # act on the result, thus it needs to know at least some of what is
                displayed
                > # on the screen, say the on/off value of pixel(x,y) and pixel(x,y+1).
                How can
                > # my script determine those values - is there a hack out there
                somewhere (I
                > # have a Vx)? Also, could it be a future pScript command?
                >
                > I see. Can it be done? I have no idea. I'd have to study the OS
                manuals. You
                > could do it and then let me know. The manuals are freely available.
                OK? Best
                > regards, Paul
              • Blake Winton
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2005
                  Nathan Thern wrote:
                  > I think I could do this with a formless DA (or does a desk accessory
                  > have to have a form? If so, then I would make a small one at the bottom
                  > of the screen.) It would use the first two bytes in the clipboard as x
                  > and y coordinates and call WinGetPixel(x,y). Then it would then put the
                  > pixel value in the clipboard and exit. Biggest problem I see is I'm
                  > worried that launching a DA changes the current draw window.

                  Instead of a DA, you could just create a regular palm program which
                  responded to a different launch code.

                  http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/palmos/PalmOSReference/AppLaunchCodes.html

                  sysAppLaunchCmdLookup, or sysAppLaunchCmdGoTo seem like reasonable choices.

                  (I would write it for you myself, but I'm afraid my wife just had a baby
                  (our second), and so I don't really have the time.)

                  Good luck,
                  Blake.
                • Nathan Thern
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2005
                    --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, Blake Winton <bwinton@l...> wrote:
                    > Instead of a DA, you could just create a regular palm program which
                    > responded to a different launch code.

                    I'm sorry, but I'm not a palmOS programmer, I just think I'm smart
                    enough to be one :). How would I launch my new program with the
                    different launch code? My starting point is a third party application
                    that is not designed to communicate with other programs and I want to
                    convert information that is displayed on the screen to some form that
                    my pscript can use (say, in the clipboard). From my perspective, your
                    suggestion makes no sense, but that's probably because I'm ignorant.

                    Nate

                    P.S. This line of inquiry might be getting a little OT, but I think
                    that a reasonably savvy Joe Palm User (perhaps one who is also a
                    pscripter) can probably write and compile small but genuinely useful
                    palm programs without putting himself through a hellacious learning
                    curve. And I think this forum might be very interested in seeing
                    someone try it.
                  • Blake Winton
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2005
                      On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:39:30PM -0000, Nathan Thern wrote:
                      > > Instead of a DA, you could just create a regular palm program which
                      > > responded to a different launch code.
                      > I'm sorry, but I'm not a palmOS programmer, I just think I'm smart
                      > enough to be one :). How would I launch my new program with the
                      > different launch code? My starting point is a third party application
                      > that is not designed to communicate with other programs and I want to
                      > convert information that is displayed on the screen to some form that
                      > my pscript can use (say, in the clipboard). From my perspective, your
                      > suggestion makes no sense, but that's probably because I'm ignorant.

                      I think you might be able to do this from a pScript... Am I correct,
                      Paul?

                      > P.S. This line of inquiry might be getting a little OT, but I think
                      > that a reasonably savvy Joe Palm User (perhaps one who is also a
                      > pscripter) can probably write and compile small but genuinely useful
                      > palm programs without putting himself through a hellacious learning
                      > curve. And I think this forum might be very interested in seeing
                      > someone try it.

                      If you do decide to go this route, you might want to look into OnBoardC.
                      The mailing list for it is quite helpful, I've found.

                      Later,
                      Blake.