Re: [peditors] an important issue - seeking advice

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 30, 2005
      # All I'd recommend is not to try and implement an algorithm yourself as it
      # almost certainly wont be as secure as you think. Dont take offense from
      # this - what I mean is, crypto needs to be done by cryptologists! Of course,
      # you might be a talented cryptologist as well so I'd have to eat my words
      # then!

      I agree with this. If I ever added encryption, I'd use a standard one,
      perhaps with some extra twists. All=my=best, Paul
    • mervynvv
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi Paul
        I would like to second this suggestion
        - one password for pedit encrypted
        memos which is different from the
        System password could be a good
        balance
        Regrds
        Mervyn
        --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com,
        Jeff Roule <jeffroule@y...> wrote:
        > Hey Paul,
        >
        > I would have to vote for one
        password, though not necessarily the
        same
        > password as the system password.
        That way you get a double layer of
        > protection: if someone should figure
        out the system password, they still
        > have to get through the pEdit
        password to actually get to your
        memos.

        > rgds,
        > Jeff
        >
        > Paul Nevai wrote:
        >
        > >Hi Guys:
        > >
        > >Suppose that I decided, against all
        common sense, to introduce some
        > >encryption tool which, of course,
        would be the stupidest thing I ever did
        > >since all of you paranoid Europeans
        [smiley] would immediately demand
        > >encryption which can't be cracked,
        not even by Turing and Co., and
        which is
        > >based o factoring prime numbers
        with 10^100 digits or more.

        > >Anyway, for the sake of argument,
        let's assume that I did...

        > >QUESTION. Should such an
        encryption be based on passwords
        assigned to each
        > >individual text which is to be
        encrypted, or should it use the general
        > >password assigned to your Palm.
        > >
        > >Before you say anything, please
        think hard and use common sense. I
        can
        > >bring up numerous very valid
        reasons that either way it is a terribly
        bad
        > >idea with potentially disastrous
        consequences.

        > >Please respond only if you yourself