pedit/pToolSet beta

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
      Dear Members of the pedit/pToolSet DIA beta team:

      Many thanks for the help you gave me in the past several months while I was
      trying to implement DIA support for pedit and pToolSet. I think I managed to
      exhaust all of you in the process and I don't blame you for that. I am
      equally exhausted [and frustrated and disappointed].

      I could continue the beta testing for the rest of my life and each new
      version would probably create more problems than it would resolve. Hence, I
      will stop the testing and will proceed releasing the new "DIA compatible"
      pedit/pToolSet.

      Having been in touch with many developers, I understand now that most of them
      if not all of them couldn't care less about the DIA and they support the DIA
      only to the extent that it is absolutely necessary so that their users would
      not abandon their products. In the process they introduce kludges, tricks and
      such which make it even more impossible for an OS Extension [aka hack] to be
      DIA compatible.

      I don't blame the developers either, I feel the same way as they do, and I am
      one of them.

      On top of that I believe that my stuff may be the only product which follows
      some obscure guidelines laid down in the DIA documentation, not even Palm's
      own built-in apps care about those guidelines.

      Specifically, I could not find a single Palm product besides mine which would
      meticulously restore the status of the DIA and the orientation triggers after
      every intrusion by a system dialog or by an OS Extension which may have
      changed their current status despite an explicit warning about this in the
      DIA documentation.

      Of course, some of those intrusions don't even give a chance to the
      underlying application to act because they do not announce their presence in
      any way whatsoever. Hence, the developer is left with no means to fight
      back.

      Let me re-emphasize that I don't blame the developers apathy. The entire DIA
      implementation is in dire need of major improvement.

      I will blind-copy this message to a few developer forums and I challenge each
      developer to tell me privately if they think that my assessment of the DIA
      situation is unfair. If I am found to be incorrect, I will publicly make the
      necessary errata.

      All=my=best, Paul Nevai [pedit, pToolSet, etc.]
      E-mail: 2me@...
    • John Kershaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
        At 10:21 -0400 2/8/05, Paul Nevai wrote:
        >Let me re-emphasize that I don't blame the developers apathy. The entire DIA
        >implementation is in dire need of major improvement.

        Paul,

        Palm should *so* put you in charge of OS development. Otherwise we're
        all gonna be using Pocket PCs in five years time. Which I *so* don't
        wanna do.

        John (who will be buying up enough old Palms to last him a lifetime)
        T:01274 581519 www.kershaw.org M:07944 755613
        E:john@... | skype:johnmkershaw
        AIM:johnkershaw | Y!/MSN:john_m_kershaw
      • John Markley Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005
          --- In peditors@yahoogroups.com, John Kershaw <yahoogroups@k...> wrote:
          > At 10:21 -0400 2/8/05, Paul Nevai wrote:
          > >Let me re-emphasize that I don't blame the developers apathy. The entire DIA
          > >implementation is in dire need of major improvement.
          >
          > Paul,
          >
          > Palm should *so* put you in charge of OS development. Otherwise we're
          > all gonna be using Pocket PCs in five years time. Which I *so* don't
          > wanna do.
          >
          > John (who will be buying up enough old Palms to last him a lifetime)

          Yes, support, agree!!!

          John Markley